Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The adult Augustus casting was bizarre. Dude had Joffrey vibes.

I liked that. I doubt you get to be the emperor of Rome by being nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
did uhh you think young Octavian was just a totally normal chill dude because you may want to watch it again (to the above guy, not poster immediately before me)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

remember that time he hosed his sister?

e: oh wait i'm in the game of thrones thread, this isn't even novel

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The adult Augustus casting was bizarre. Dude had Joffrey vibes.

He had this totally unnerving reptilian type gaze

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Pullo taking the boy Christ to a brothel to lose his virginity.

Jesus and Podrick Payne crossover when

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Gaius! Julius! Caesar!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I judge all "guy in public yelling exposition" characters against the Rome guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What owns the most is that both the hand gestures and the concept of having a guy whose job is to stand in the forum and yell news at passers by are authentic to real ancient Rome.

Stefan Prodan posted:

did uhh you think young Octavian was just a totally normal chill dude because you may want to watch it again (to the above guy, not poster immediately before me)

No but he did successfully become first emperor- I feel like the adult version should have been a lil more inspiring and less Zuckerberg. Then again, irl Zuckerberg seems to be doing alright.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like the adult version should have been a lil more inspiring and less Zuckerberg.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

I judge all "guy in public yelling exposition" characters against the Rome guy.

I love that, once they found out they were cancelled, they elevated Ian McNeice to a spot in the opening credits. He was a huge boon to the show, despite probably filming all his scenes in an afternoon or two.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Splendid posted:

Gaius! Julius! Caesar!

He played Illyrio in the pilot but had to drop out of the series due to illness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A fair point

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What owns the most is that both the hand gestures and the concept of having a guy whose job is to stand in the forum and yell news at passers by are authentic to real ancient Rome.

No but he did successfully become first emperor- I feel like the adult version should have been a lil more inspiring and less Zuckerberg. Then again, irl Zuckerberg seems to be doing alright.

You realize Zuckerberg literally has his hair that way because Augustus did right? Like he literally is trying to be Augustus?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No but he did successfully become first emperor-

By doing bad things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

Gaius! Julius! Caesar!

True Roman bread for true Romans.

Vichan posted:

He played Illyrio in the pilot but had to drop out of the series due to illness.

He would've been perfect for Manderly if they hadn't cut out that plot.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Groovelord Neato posted:

True Roman bread for true Romans.

I loved how he got progressively more fed up with having to say that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

I am Aegon Targaryen, and I am Snow. I have lived three hundred years, and I long to die. But death is no longer possible. I am immortal. I present now my story, full of mystery and intrigue — rich in irony, and most satirical.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
So if Rhaegar’s plans had all worked out he would have had two sons called Aegon? Did he kind of forget about the other one?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Aegon the lesser

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Good Aegon

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jons name is Aemon he literally says it and the big R+L=J guessers were too lazy to go check

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ryan J. Condal (born 1979 or 1980) is a screenwriter and an executive producer who was a creator and a showrunner for the upcoming 2022 TV series House of the Dragon, a prequel to the TV series Game of Thrones (2011–2019). Condal and Carlton Cuse were creators and showrunners for the TV series Colony (2016–2018). He was also a screenwriter for the films Hercules (2014) and Rampage (2018).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

Ryan J. Condal (born 1979 or 1980) is a screenwriter and an executive producer who was a creator and a showrunner for the upcoming 2022 TV series House of the Dragon, a prequel to the TV series Game of Thrones (2011–2019). Condal and Carlton Cuse were creators and showrunners for the TV series Colony (2016–2018). He was also a screenwriter for the films Hercules (2014) and Rampage (2018).

this new show is gonna be colon-y too

because it'll be poo poo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if there are fights between dragons and giant apes i will tune in.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

I am Jon Snow, born 400 years ago in the North, but actually the South. I am immortal, and it's possible that my aunt(sister?) could be too but the rules of immortality haven't really been established. I've been pretty much useless in everything I've tried. In the end, there can be only one, but it probably won't be me.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Highlander tv series was sick

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Jon Snow, hundreds of years after anyone who'd have any inkling of his exile, still refuses to come south of the wall because of his broken Stark brain's dutiful OCD.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I DONT WANT TO

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Jon Snow, hundreds of years later, returns south of the wall and unexpectedly get flattened by an 18 wheeler on the Mole's Town Expressway.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Its ok Jon. Dont Worry. Mycah go see King of Trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGz4V4wrmxI

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't see the point in setting it hundreds of years from the end of the first show. The show is mostly just the characters and if you start changing the world to have technological advance it's basically a completely different setting as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Jon Snow, in disguise, attends a military history class at Oldtown University where the professor absolutely lays into his expertise as a commander

"He let his emotions get the better of him at the Battle of the Bastards and forgot even the most basic tenets of medieval warfare at the Battle of Winterfell. Both times he was bailed out by circumstances beyond his control or understanding. Snow ranks among the worst -- and luckiest -- commanders in history. In fact, he got so many men of fighting age killed that some historians think it lowered the temperature of Planetos by several degrees for decades after the fact, resulting in more famine in Westeros and its inability to resist colonization from minor powers in Essos."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Let's not forget the crows he killed at the battle of wherever on the wall he was.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
"Snow was of course a talented individual fighter, as evidenced by his seemingly supernatural ability to survive his various blunders and his legitimately impressive record against several notable warriors during the War of the Seven Kings and the brief war against the Night King. But this was an age in which individual contributions to a battle could no longer be counted on to turn the tide -- we can see from the enormous number of casualties different factions were able to suffer and yet continue to pursue their strategic aims that this was no longer an age of heroes. What could a Robert Baratheon or Baelor Breakspear or Aemon the Dragonknight do against the lockstep legions of the Unsullied, or a horde of Dothraki light cavalrymen wheeling about just out of range, pouring constant and accurate fire into anyone who looked like a commander? The future would belong to those who made a science out of war. Snow's disappearance beyond the Wall in many ways improved his legacy -- had he remained to try to combat the successful uprisings of Dorne, the Iron Islands and Gendry Baratheon's new independent Stormlands kingdom, it's clear that his luck would have quickly run out in dramatic fashion."

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The endgame for Rome was for Lucius and Pullo to team up with Jesus, so I actually think that HBO did the right thing here.

Those two crucifying Christ would have made for a great episode.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Alamani57 posted:

Those two crucifying Christ would have made for a great episode.

- 30 seconds later -

"Take him down!"

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

One thing I feel that rarely gets mentioned is that GoT steals a scene from Rome. There's a scene in Rome where they skip Mark Antony's famous speech, instead cutting to a cockney guy recounting it to a bunch of people. In Got, after Cersei's walk, they do the same thing right before Gregor kills him. Could even have been the same actor.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

remember that time he hosed his sister?

e: oh wait i'm in the game of thrones thread, this isn't even novel

When Pullo took him to the brothel, Octavian selected a prostitute that looked like his sister.

Dude had issues.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

- 30 seconds later -

"Take him down!"

this was great because the soldier doing the crucifixion has the perfect "oh goddammit I *just* put him up there" reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DotnJ7tTA34