Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like mosou games a lot, but i do remember original fewarriors feeling a bit empty so i wonder if they improved enemy density

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like mosou games a lot, but i do remember original fewarriors feeling a bit empty so i wonder if they improved enemy density

It feels about even. I think it's just a switch limitation.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I had already finished my CF by the time they added in Jeritza, but I've watched some Three Hopes clips and did he always talk like.... that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I had already finished my CF by the time they added in Jeritza, but I've watched some Three Hopes clips and did he always talk like.... that.

Pretty much, yeah. It sounds a lot cooler when he’s in a suit of death armor with an echo so I guess that’s the idea.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He did.

Fun little facts:
-He is voiced by Patrick Seitz, who not is an incredible voice actor with a massive range, he was also the voice director of Three Houses. The voice is wholly on purpose.
-A later patch added a Jeritza/Bernadetta support and it is somehow the most wholesome and endearing convo chain in the series.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Notably Patrick Seitz is English Dio. Koyasu Takehito is Seteth in Japanese and of course Dio. So this game has both Dio's in it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj0IW2nyo1A

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eimi posted:

It feels about even. I think it's just a switch limitation.

Ah, well. Still gonna give it a go of course thanks for letting me know to temper that particular expectation

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eimi posted:

Notably Patrick Seitz is English Dio. Koyasu Takehito is Seteth in Japanese and of course Dio. So this game has both Dio's in it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj0IW2nyo1A

Patrick Seitz also voiced Abaddon the Despoiler in Dawn of War 2: Retribution. As well as Kaptin Bluddflagg. I enjoy his voicework. :)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Patrick Seitz also voiced Abaddon the Despoiler in Dawn of War 2: Retribution. As well as Kaptin Bluddflagg. I enjoy his voicework. :)

Also the largest ham of all time Garrosh Hellscream in WoW. Jeritza is hilarious subdued for the man.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It was already posted in the Three Hopes thread so most of you probably already saw, but Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's VA, passed away on the 9th June.

https://twitter.com/POCBooking/status/1535738833311916032

Too young. gently caress cancer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

:smith: gently caress cancer

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

:smith: gently caress cancer

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm watching my partner do a run Golden Deer run and it still shocks me how much of this game is fully voice acted.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was hyped for three hopes but ended up feeling so nostalgic for this game that I'm giving this another run through first! I'm thinking about picking up the DLC. If I beat the side story on normal, am I able to get the Ashen Wolves on hard in the main game? I play hard because "normal" is just way too easy, but it sounds like the side story is more challenging due to how restricted you are. If I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall I'd rather just pop down to normal to get through it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tender Bender posted:

I was hyped for three hopes but ended up feeling so nostalgic for this game that I'm giving this another run through first! I'm thinking about picking up the DLC. If I beat the side story on normal, am I able to get the Ashen Wolves on hard in the main game? I play hard because "normal" is just way too easy, but it sounds like the side story is more challenging due to how restricted you are. If I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall I'd rather just pop down to normal to get through it.

DLC normal is about the same level as main campaign hard, yes. And you don't even have to complete the DLC to be able to recruit the Ashen Wolves, I believe. I think you only have to reach a certain chapter in the DLC. But you might as well finish it because you get some sweet starting loot if you have a completed DLC file.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

DLC normal is about the same level as main campaign hard, yes. And you don't even have to complete the DLC to be able to recruit the Ashen Wolves, I believe. I think you only have to reach a certain chapter in the DLC. But you might as well finish it because you get some sweet starting loot if you have a completed DLC file.

Thanks, I guess my question is if I clear up to those chapters in normal, can I recruit the characters in my Hard playthrough?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah the dlc cleared at any difficulty unlocks stuff for any future playthrough at any difficulty

e: and current playthroughs I think

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks, I guess my question is if I clear up to those chapters in normal, can I recruit the characters in my Hard playthrough?

Yes, as long as you're not past the time skip.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started the DLC side story on hard not knowing how difficult it would actually be and I’m regretting it. I’m at the chapter where you’re being chased by a golem and ghosty bois and then bandits show up about 3/4 of the way through and I just straight up got a game over from running out of divine pulse charges. Those +40% avoid panels are basically cheating (when an enemy stands on one). You can hit them with magic but when the enemy is an archer with a silver bow they’re just going to OHKO your mage. Good times.

Edit: I can’t imagine how much harder it would be if you didn’t keep that door key from the first chapter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does the DLC not let you go down to Normal/Casual?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

yeah the dlc cleared at any difficulty unlocks stuff for any future playthrough at any difficulty

e: and current playthroughs I think

Melomane Mallet posted:

Yes, as long as you're not past the time skip.

Cool, thanks! Yeah I started the DLC on normal/classic, first mission was fine, but with a few of the bosses hitting unexpectedly hard plus no-warning- reinforcements already arriving in this first mission, I'm okay sticking to normal :v:

Anyway I went from "thinking about another three houses playthrough" on Saturday, to buying the DLC, starting that side story as well as a Black Eagles run, and spending an hour this morning building a spreadsheet mapping out my progression plan for all the characters including planned mastered abilities/etc. I kind of ruined my first run through the game because my OCD made me do every single optional auxiliary battle and minmax every monastery day even though my guys were already way strong enough for Hard. I'm hoping the huge XP and skill boosts from the statues in New Game Plus (and from being professor level A+ from the start) will let me free my mind and avoid overly grinding this time.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: I can’t imagine how much harder it would be if you didn’t keep that door key from the first chapter.

Shouldn't actually be too much harder, iirc Yuri counts as a thief for opening chests and doors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DLC Hard mode was the perfect difficulty honestly, because it felt hard without the bullshit same-turn reinforcement that plagues Maddening.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eopia posted:

Shouldn't actually be too much harder, iirc Yuri counts as a thief for opening chests and doors.

That explains why he didn’t use the door key when I opened those doors! Now it all makes sense.

I am probably going to change to Casual, I don’t think it lets you change to normal difficulty though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That explains why he didn’t use the door key when I opened those doors! Now it all makes sense.

I am probably going to change to Casual, I don’t think it lets you change to normal difficulty though.

It does, I switched to normal during that same map.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm halfway through White Clouds in my Black Eagles playthrough, and I'm loving the Edelgard characterization. We'll see how I feel once her plans are unrolled, but right now I'm ride or die for her. It's also reminding me how incredibly frustrating it is that you get none of this stuff in separate playthroughs; she was a complete blank slate when I played Golden Deer a few years ago, just a villain turn with no rhyme or reason. Here, she's explaining her vision of the world and what motivates her, things that would have been great to know about the primary antagonist on my Golden Deer run.

The contrast is that Claude and Dimitri of course completely disappear as characters. If I hadn't played as his house, I'd have no idea about Claude's background, his dream of open borders, etc. I think it was a huge mistake to wall off the playthroughs, you should at least know who the characters are and what they want. You could add more information and flavor when you actually play as them, but as it is, it's really unsatisfying to just have no idea what any of the characters care about at all beyond the ones you're controlling.

My dream revamp of this game would have White Clouds involving all three houses working together to unravel the mystery, maybe have the player choose a house right before the Battle of the Eagle and the Lion. Jeritza disappears right before then so you could have set it so he's one of the house professors, and Byleth is asked to step in. Idk I'm just spitballing here.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 11, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Game definitely could've worked if you'd just taught all three classes and went on missions with each of them throughout White Clouds with a route split near the end of the semester (and NG+ asking you if you'd like to pick up from the route split instead of redoing all of white clouds...)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
That also could have given some of the early chapters a bit more weight: you could be forced to go with the Blue Lions on chapters 3 and 5, for example. Other houses have less personal stake in things early on, but I’d probably assign the Eagles for 1 & 4 and the Golden Deer for 2 & 6 (Black Eagles feel really awkward for chapter 6), with the route split occurring at the first Gronder Field battle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it was a very deliberate decision to not let you know what the other lords are up to as you go through the story. The central tragedy of Three Houses is that no one ever has the full picture, and that that is the heart of a lot of the conflict in the story. I definitely agree that the game would have been better served by not making you play through White Clouds at least three times to get the full story, but I think the "paths that will never cross" narrative is a perfectly fine choice outside of that.

If you're jonesing for a revamped story where Byleth doesn't take over a class after the prologue and you don't have to play through a year's worth of broadly the same storyline, well, I hope you like Warriors games!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd have personally preferred that you have your house and your units, but the other house leaders/relevant members show up as guests on part 1. So on the Lonato mission, Dimitri and Ashe show up because well, of course they would, but you are still using the Eagles, you just have guests. Instead of you as a professor working with all the houses, you see the other leaders working together and get more of a sense of friends betraying each other later on. You know if there was going to be a revamp at all. I was fine with what we got beyond CF's unfinished state.

But I think part of that is also I'm a hardcore Edelgard fan and White Clouds sticking so closely with her and her reactions are a big part of that. For example her reaction after the Lonato mission is great and losing that just to control the Lions for that chapter would suck imo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think it was a very deliberate decision to not let you know what the other lords are up to as you go through the story. The central tragedy of Three Houses is that no one ever has the full picture, and that that is the heart of a lot of the conflict in the story. I definitely agree that the game would have been better served by not making you play through White Clouds at least three times to get the full story, but I think the "paths that will never cross" narrative is a perfectly fine choice outside of that.

Yeah I think it defeats the purpose of the game if you know everything on every route. If the three house leaders just talked and had some trust between them the war would not have happened, but again, that's not the story that was intended to be told. Miscommunication and misunderstanding is essential to the story.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I'm okay with not getting the whole picture, but I think they erred too conservatively in exactly how little of that picture you get. They could have had Edelgard share some of what her vision is without giving you the full explainer or tragic backstory. There's a lot of pathos there for the taking when you have to turn against your former friends and students, but the game doesn't set you up to experience that until your second playthrough. The first time around I'm killing former students, but they're people I talked to maybe once and don't really know anything about.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you're jonesing for a revamped story where Byleth doesn't take over a class after the prologue and you don't have to play through a year's worth of broadly the same storyline, well, I hope you like Warriors games!

I'm excited to pick that up once I finish this playthrough, assuming I'm not completely burned out on fire emblem like I was the first time around. I'm doing new game + now and the statue perks plus instant professor level A+ means I'm avoiding the grinding/optimization that slogged down my first run, so hopefully it'll be relatively quick.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

White clouds seems so Blue Lions oriented that I wouldn't be surprised if they had originally slated three different Act 1s for the game depending on the house you chose.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
See, I thought Blue Lions was a great *starter* route. Arguably they’re the house most hosed up by the Crests system so by the time I got to Dimitri’s one-handed murder fantasies and seeing Edelgard’s revolutionary speech I was more on board for her than him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I'm okay with not getting the whole picture, but I think they erred too conservatively in exactly how little of that picture you get. They could have had Edelgard share some of what her vision is without giving you the full explainer or tragic backstory. There's a lot of pathos there for the taking when you have to turn against your former friends and students, but the game doesn't set you up to experience that until your second playthrough. The first time around I'm killing former students, but they're people I talked to maybe once and don't really know anything about.

Oh ok yeah. There's definitely some of that across the stories, but specifically playing as Golden Deer first gets you the worst of it. That route is a victim of the game's scope; the first storyline they wrote was one where you start with the Black Eagles, but part ways with Edelgard when the war starts and stay with the church. In that story Byleth and Edelgard have some history and you know where Edelgard is coming from. Verdant Wind has very few Claude-centric plot beats because it's a revised version of that storyline rather than an original one, and it comes through clearly in Byleth and Edelgard's interactions in particular.

That is an entirely fair criticism.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What are you talking about I loved the dramatic speech where Edelgard desperately wishes that Byleth chose her side while Byleth struggles to remember the one positive interaction they had 5 years ago.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh ok yeah. There's definitely some of that across the stories, but specifically playing as Golden Deer first gets you the worst of it. That route is a victim of the game's scope; the first storyline they wrote was one where you start with the Black Eagles, but part ways with Edelgard when the war starts and stay with the church. In that story Byleth and Edelgard have some history and you know where Edelgard is coming from. Verdant Wind has very few Claude-centric plot beats because it's a revised version of that storyline rather than an original one, and it comes through clearly in Byleth and Edelgard's interactions in particular.

That is an entirely fair criticism.

Ah, that's interesting, thanks. That also provides context for the letter from Hubert after you defeat them; You have history with him so he trusted you with that information because of your bond.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clawtopsy posted:

See, I thought Blue Lions was a great *starter* route. Arguably they’re the house most hosed up by the Crests system so by the time I got to Dimitri’s one-handed murder fantasies and seeing Edelgard’s revolutionary speech I was more on board for her than him.

I would say Golden Deer is the overall best route.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thought deer was kinda eh. it covers the slitherers stuff but claude has the least investment in the slitherers stuff, and the stuff to do with his homeland is super underbaked. and the final boss comes out of left field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would say Golden Deer is the overall best route.

I disagree. Maybe it's because it was my third route but it kinda disappointed me. While both Blue Lions and Black Eagles are very oriented around their lords, Golden Deer feels almost like a sidequest, with no personal stakes for anyone.