Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

BMW C1

e: lmao

Picture this bike but the rider looks like the ackshullay meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LimaBiker posted:

I've seen those hondas before, but i thought you sat way lower, almost 'in' them, face almost level with the wind shield. Bit disappointed.

Yeah see you're thinking of the bike it was intended to evoke, which only exists in anime (and the garages of a few custom builders)

except even that bike only looks like that because the guy you see riding it 99% of the time is a Japanese 14 year old, ie a major shortarse

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
the moral is never meet your heroes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can have a feet forward bike that looks cool when you're on it, or when you're off it, but not both.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

This looks like a Deauville for people who want to go "radical".

"No more Mr Nice Guy!!!"

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

What does the thread imagine the market is on a 2018 MT-09 with a bit under 5k miles? It has a full termi exhaust and tune, but also all the stock parts available with it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

They do look pretty good IRL. But yeah, only without someone on it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
But seriously the Vultus is extremely un-photogenic; it looks way better in person.

That said it'd look even better with a beefier front end and handlebars with at minimum another 6 inches of rise/pull. Really double down on the swept lines by encouraging the rider to lean back.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

busalover posted:

This looks like a Deauville for people who want to go "radical".

"No more Mr Nice Guy!!!"

It's the bike for the man who insists his brother refer to him as "your cool uncle Mike" to his kids. And in fact he refers to himself as "your cool uncle Mike" to said kids.
"hey kids! It's your cool uncle Mike! I'm going to come visit on the weekend, on my motorcycle".
"are you gonna do a wheelie for us, uncle Mike?"
"that's cool uncle Mike, and no. Wheelies are irresponsible and can land you in a lot of hot water with the police."
"have you ever gotten in trouble with the police, cool uncle Mike?"
"now kids, that's not a very appropriate question to ask a grown up, but no."

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 11, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

TheBacon posted:

What does the thread imagine the market is on a 2018 MT-09 with a bit under 5k miles? It has a full termi exhaust and tune, but also all the stock parts available with it.

NADA or KBB retail, whichever is higher

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Coredump posted:

My future bike garage:

Yamaha Niken GT
Honda NM4
Honda DN-01

What other nerd bikes can I add?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

What's the self-stabilising Honda concept bike called?
It's this one:

Which I like the looks of as a motorcycle. Honda also put that same tech in an NM4 bike so it would remain undefeated as nerdiest bike.
It's beautiful. Its perfect.

I feel the garage needs some sort of hub steering motorcycle. Or something that rebels against front forks for steering.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah see you're thinking of the bike it was intended to evoke, which only exists in anime (and the garages of a few custom builders)

except even that bike only looks like that because the guy you see riding it 99% of the time is a Japanese 14 year old, ie a major shortarse

I think the looks of it could be helped if the tank and triple tree were raised like the Rebel 500 does. Instead it looks too low with a regular sized person on there.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 12, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coredump posted:

I feel the garage needs some sort of hub steering motorcycle. Or something that rebels against front forks for steering.

not coming up with a lot of factory options off the top of my head:

2018+ Goldwing (Hossack front end). I guess if by including this you could say that means Duolever bikes count, but I'd disagree since they still have tube forks too

Yamaha GTS1000

Bimota Tesi and variations thereof

What others are out there?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

BMW C1

e: lmao

Only one of these I've seen had a dipshit on the waterfront sidewalk with a blue lives matter patch on his denim vest

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

not coming up with a lot of factory options off the top of my head:

2018+ Goldwing (Hossack front end). I guess if by including this you could say that means Duolever bikes count, but I'd disagree since they still have tube forks too

Yamaha GTS1000

Bimota Tesi and variations thereof

What others are out there?

K1200/1300/1600

An old Honda cub

Vyrus something or other

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I didn't include the Vyrus bikes b/c they're just Tesis with custom bodywork that some guy sells for 80k each to suckers with too much cash (hence the "variations thereof" line). Completely forgot about the old Cubs even though you or someone else posted about them in another thread just a few days ago

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I didn't include the Vyrus bikes b/c they're just Tesis with custom bodywork that some guy sells for 80k each to suckers with too much cash (hence the "variations thereof" line).

Didn't know this, figures.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My kid works at a gas station. He just sent me this. Enjoy, ATGATT nerds

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My eye was drawn more to wtf is going on with those handlebars

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Spare the gear, spoil the nipples

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Half The Gear All The Time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I rides and rips
I spoils the nips

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I went down in my jorts and did a peeled tomato impersonation, I'm going to probably wish that my helmet hadn't saved my life.

I'm joking..

I think...??

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Reminds me about the story I once heard about an accident involving a biker wearing jeans. Basically when he got to the hospital, the blood that covered his jeans was all dried up. When the staff cut the jeans open, they realized the dried blood+jeans fabric had sealed the wounds. He bled to death.

Anyway that's what a med student told me. Sounds kinda weird, why wouldn't they expect this scenario?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That seems like a very common scenario for someone who gets a very bad cut or road rash while also wearing denim, a very common material to make pants out of

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
When I went down on the highway I was surprised how completely obliterated my gear was compared to how (relatively) fine I was. I wear Kevlar-lined jeans, and the jeans themselves were completely blown out, but the Kevlar was fine. Pretty sure I would have just ground my rear end right off if I'd been wearing regular cotton jeans.

Honestly the most confusing part of that image is the gear. It's clearly at a rally of some kind, so I assume the dude is just riding a short distance from his hotel to the downtown area or whatever, but why even bother with the jacket and helmet? Or maybe he'd shown up wearing overpants and boots, but put them in his backpack and had to move his bike, so he had to throw the jacket and helmet on just to do it? He's also not wearing gloves which seems like a weird thing to overlook when wearing a jacket like that.

It's a weird image.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

busalover posted:

Reminds me about the story I once heard about an accident involving a biker wearing jeans. Basically when he got to the hospital, the blood that covered his jeans was all dried up. When the staff cut the jeans open, they realized the dried blood+jeans fabric had sealed the wounds. He bled to death.

Anyway that's what a med student told me. Sounds kinda weird, why wouldn't they expect this scenario?

Yes but no and no.
I mean there are terrible paramedics out there, so it's not entirely implausible that some shithead somewhere doesn't cut off the jeans (this would be the first thing any paramedic worth their salt would do)
I mean blood clotting can be fairly powerful, but I can't think of a wound that would be serious enough to kill you inside a trauma room within seconds that would at the same time be stopped by jeans and clotting.
Also if there was truth to this, the person cutting open the magic jeans dressing wouldn't keep cutting when blood comes pouring out...

Probably a story told at a bar by a person that knows someone that is related to a janitor at the hospital.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Strife posted:

When I went down on the highway I was surprised how completely obliterated my gear was compared to how (relatively) fine I was. I wear Kevlar-lined jeans, and the jeans themselves were completely blown out, but the Kevlar was fine. Pretty sure I would have just ground my rear end right off if I'd been wearing regular cotton jeans.

Honestly the most confusing part of that image is the gear. It's clearly at a rally of some kind, so I assume the dude is just riding a short distance from his hotel to the downtown area or whatever, but why even bother with the jacket and helmet? Or maybe he'd shown up wearing overpants and boots, but put them in his backpack and had to move his bike, so he had to throw the jacket and helmet on just to do it? He's also not wearing gloves which seems like a weird thing to overlook when wearing a jacket like that.

It's a weird image.

I just assumed it was Sturgis

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

If I went down in my jorts and did a peeled tomato impersonation, I'm going to probably wish that my helmet hadn't saved my life.

I'm joking..

I think...??

I have seen this exact opinion expressed unironically by non-atgatt types as a justification for not wearing a helmet

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If I had to guess I'd say the boomer in huaraches and shorts is wearing that jacket b/c it's morning and it's a little cool out, and he's dressed for the heat later in the day.

I see dudes riding to the golf course on summer weekend mornings around here in similar setups.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Jorts guy was at Backfire in Ballard (Seattle) like... 6 years ago? My best guess is he lives nearby and just threw on a jacket to go down and see what the hipsters were up to real quick

Edit: I forget who but I think this is a goon's dad's bike

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 13, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't care how far I'm going on my little Monkey or how hot it is - ATGATT.
I hosed around and found out early in life (on East German mopeds lol) that road rash takes a long, painful time to heal

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TotalLossBrain posted:

I hosed around and found out early in life (on East German mopeds lol) that road rash takes a long, painful time to heal

When I first bought Kevlar jeans they were super stiff, so I decided I'd just wear them as much as possible to break them in. They're nice looking jeans, so that turned into me just wearing Kevlar jeans any day I might at some point ride. And after I broke my leg, I found wearing boots that basically have an integrated ankle brace made walking a lot more comfortable.

It's easy to get geared up for a ride when you're already halfway there.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

During the winter, I sometimes wear an older pair of Klim jeans without the armor. They're a bit thicker and warmer than the flannel lined jeans I have.

busalover posted:

When the staff cut the jeans open, they realized the dried blood+jeans fabric had sealed the wounds. He bled to death.

Riiiiiight.

TotalLossBrain posted:

We have Tegaderm these days. It's magical.

dema fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 14, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

dema posted:

We have Tegaderm these days. It's magical.

TotalLossBrain posted:

East Germany

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I do have a little reading comprehension.

Just think internet motorcycle riders are a little dramatic about road rash. Especially in the context of a glorified scooter. But, I don't think twice about going 40+ down a mountain road, wearing spandex and a little bit of styrofoam.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpymMb2M4OE

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Riding a bicycle seems like the scariest loving thing someone could do on the road. No mirrors, no safety equipment, just a thin layer of lycra and a plastic hat. The cost of a stationary bike is stupid, but at least it won't ever result in blood in my rear end crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Depends on where you cycle. I would feel incredibly uncomfortable going downhill at normal traffic speeds without any protection at all.

But in one of the countries/cities that have proper cycling infrastructure, it feels perfectly safe. Although even at 25km/h (the highest typical cruising speed for a casual cyclist going from A to B) you can get some nasty skin abrasions, the risk of actually falling at those speeds is extremely small if you aren't stupid and ignoring everything you learned getting your car/bike license. Proper cycling infrastructure means that whenever possible you're completely separated from heavy motorized traffic.

The lack of mirrors is pretty annoying. But turning your head to look behind you before you overtake works too.