Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Jelly posted:

Y'all never stop talking about this I should probably try it again.

Read some of this thread, then I saw the review on Steam that says "Like Animal Crossing for autistic men" and pulled the trigger.

So I booted up my game with zero research and set up a camp about halfway to the next landmark on the map (basically as soon as I was out of the threshold of the starting town). And yeah, wow these graphics are offensive.

Made like four trips buying and ferrying materials back and forth to build this thing.

Finally got enough materials, start building it. Looks like it will take a second so I go get some food.

Come back and I'm being ravaged by a party of wandering nomads. Unable to escape I'm struck down and (very) slowly bleed to death. \fin

Don’t build a base until mid-game. 😛

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kenshi has really good graphics but the average camera angle you choose to do things is isometric 200 yards above everything staring down at brown ground because its tactical or efficient.

If you cut to 3/4 overhead/fake 3rd person it starts looking a lot better. Just constantly be trying to see the moons/bigplanet.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

moroboshi posted:

Don’t build a base until mid-game. 😛

Go live in the starter town. (forever). or until you're ready to move out. You don't get those things if you live in a town.

There's alot of mods to help with that as well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The hell did you do to piss off nomads?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Maybe they were bandits? I didn't do poo poo!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Deffo bandits. They'll come to your base no matter what demand tribute and either kick your rear end if you say no or kick your rear end if you don't respond

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's fine to make a base early as long as you're going to be actively managing it and run away when things you can't handle show up

Do some stat training while building up a stockpile of construction parts for your real base

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the real trick to Kenshi is knowing how to get your rear end beat without getting killed for it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Drunk in Space posted:

Despite the dated graphics, character models, textures etc, I still hold that Kenshi has some of the most amazing backgrounds and vistas I've ever seen in a game. There are newer AAA games that don't even come close to conveying 'epic landscape' like Kenshi does.

Yeah it has excellent cvisual design even if it's not as technically impressive

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I was wandering through the desert at night and the camera angle go into a position of looking up at the sky with the planets and stars in the backdrop and I did go huh this is actually very pretty.

Also, I have a base and I have a training room where prisoners are well kept, but whenever I send in a trainee the entire base will run to their defense. I want them to run to the defense of people if the gates are breached but not if someone is fighting in the training room. Right now I just sit an wait for people to run to the building then grab them and put them on hold, but is there someway to change this so I don't have to do that every time?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 22, 2022

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Not really. You can set them to passive, which will allow you to have individuals fight without interference, but no one button way to do the prisoner training while having active automatic melee base defense. Close up the gates, set up turret gunners, click on passive.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

BadLlama posted:

I was wandering through the desert at night and the camera angle go into a position of looking up at the sky with the planets and stars in the backdrop and I did go huh this is actually very pretty.

Also, I have a base and I have a training room where prisoners are well kept, but whenever I send in a trainee the entire base will run to their defense. I want them to run to the defense of people if the gates are breached but not if someone is fighting in the training room. Right now I just sit an wait for people to run to the building then grab them and put them on hold, but is there someway to change this so I don't have to do that every time?

When I want to create a horrible torture-training room, I build a gated off section of the base, then a stormhouse inside. Prisoners are kept in that. Locking the door and the gate outside usually keeps out would-be saviors.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BadLlama posted:

AI reactions will ignore "ally is under attack, must drop everything to go defend!" behavior if the ally in question is too far away, so you can e.g. build a second base in another region or better yet buy a shed in some NPC-owned city or waystation, since cities don't get raided, just random wanderers aggro the gate guards but you can help them for combat practice and also free loot and prisoners to sell into slavery if that's your thing.

Other mechanics to keep in mind are that NPCs/animals in a player-owned cage get hungry and can starve to death if you forget them too long (as soon as they're loose, or you have someone carrying them, they magically restore foodmeter for free) but also most animals can't path through doorways so you can trap them inside almost any house avoid and not have to feed them. Or train with robospiders or de-leg'd feral skeletons since they never get hungry either way and you can instantly heal them with a repair bed.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Okay thanks for the tips, I am in the middle of a major expansion to my base so I think I'll create a private condo down the street for the well kept prisoners to enjoy.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Anyone got a recommendation for a gladiator arena mod? In my save file I built this complicated building and gate system to release prisoners of opposing factions. I had hoped they would fight and get the appropriate Stat improvements, but they usually just sat there or attacked a gate.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Fun discovery: when a character is in the middle ~40% of the windup animation to stealth-KO someone, you can actually make multiple attempts by clicking repeatedly. Which trains Assassination insanely fast, and also increases your chances of success and the target can still raise the alarm if your first roll(s) fail but if you're really sneaky and/or there's nobody else in line-of-sight the AI will quickly forget.

Also even if you succeed, if you spam inputs fast enough you can succeed multiple times, which gives tons of XP

edit: ...and if there are multiple enemies in range, and you rapidly pause or you accidentally click on someone else, you can KO several targets with one *bonk* animation.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 6, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Makes me think of Heat Signature.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

I'll have to try to make a run in this game without cheesy bullshit sometime instead of abusing janky mechanics...

will that be day today?

nope lmao

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Verily I say Unto Thee: The Jank Giveth More than it Taketh Away.
I've got to the bit in cyberpunk where it trolls me with dumb missions so I keep getting drawn to an actual sandbawkz
some of the places in Kenshi could do with being covered in neon though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

staberind posted:

some of the places in Kenshi could do with being covered in neon though.

There is probably a mod for that

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Okay so… what are the mods that look good but should be avoided?? I’ve played enough modded games on rickety engines (Bethsoft) to know a really robust and cool looking mod can become a disaster.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I didn't come across anything like that, the bad mods are pretty up front about that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Personally I avoid most of the "make things look better mods" because they really slow stuff down late game

Overall I've not had many non performance issues beyond the usual "I installed 400 mods and now my beak things are mauve" problems, but all of the smaller stuff has worked fine for the most part.

The only one I've really had enough issues with to come to mind quickly is the mod that lets you recruit animals and gives backpacks for everything, the game just isn't prepared to handle 90mph beak things and they get stuck everywhere and are just a pita to deal with

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cool deal. I mean the game's got that lovable jank fuzz on it already - I like what some ReShade settings do for the visuals but I can definitely see this thing wheezing as more stuff gets added.

It's not like a bunch of soft cheats aren't already in the game -- marginalizing hunger mechanics, easy prospecting, etc -- but still I get that Dwarf Fortress-y feeling where I hit my sweet spot for management complexity and the game just keeps going further. Like I already have an MBA-adjacent degree irl and I don't ever want to have to think about supply chains for industrialized sandwich production ever again. Alas, it looks like I'm sending my guar generic fantasy pack animal on about a dozen different runs to grab wheat for my big rear end farm. Then I have to train a baker... the grind never ceases.

I realize there's a version of this game in which I could play a solo ninja assassin wandering the land, but I'm honestly not that interested in cheese-kiting dozens of angry bandits every hour or two. That kind of thing isn't super friendly with AI-driven gameplay ime. But who knows, maybe it actually works.

I threw down the mod that allows for training of primary attributes and basic skills up to "not wholly useless" levels for my settlement mooks without grinding through a hundred hungry bandit attacks, in the hopes that at some point I could be able to stop evacuating the settlement and / or grinding out copper for mercenary contract money in Squin. But I remain skeptical. Still, fun game!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Reject modernity (industrial settlement) embrace tradition (lone wandering swordsman)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My settlements were training camps. There's one bit of flat ground just on the west side of the grid looking thing, west of the swamp.

Set up a small camp with walls and turrets facing the entrance, laugh as beak things fall in droves to your men. If anyone loses limbs, good. You want them to have stronger limbs.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

dogstile posted:

If anyone loses limbs, good. You want them to have stronger limbs.

Kenshi in a nutshell.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
My game began slowing down, but I had been keeping good care of making sure I dont have an animal explosion.

I wasn't paying attention to wild animals breeding. In the beginning there was a herd of boomalope. It has outcompeted all other animals on the map and there were 70 boomalopes of all ages. I decided to try and hunt them all. Thank god for rain, my map would be on fire otherwise.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat that's crazy

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Started again and am focusing on tuning my own guy for solo romps. Still ended up designing a settlement bc I like The Sims, but I've only got three dudes on retainer and they all focus on any one given thing (copper farming, iron plate gen). It's a little bit slower than multiple supply chains going at once, but far easier to manage, easier to evacuate, and I don't really have to worry about sustainability when my ninja man can just sprint over to Squin at any given point in time and steal all the food from the bars there.

Spending 30 mins at the start of your running sneak-sprinting and lockpicking in the ninja tower really is a cheat code. Long live eurojank.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's not like a bunch of soft cheats aren't already in the game -- marginalizing hunger mechanics, easy prospecting, etc -- but still I get that Dwarf Fortress-y feeling where I hit my sweet spot for management complexity and the game just keeps going further. Like I already have an MBA-adjacent degree irl and I don't ever want to have to think about supply chains for industrialized sandwich production ever again. Alas, it looks like I'm sending my guar generic fantasy pack animal on about a dozen different runs to grab wheat for my big rear end farm. Then I have to train a baker... the grind never ceases.

The thing is, you have complete control over the industrial complexity of your settlement. You can increasingly streamline things with higher technology levels, and you likely don't need to set up some insane complex mass producing food and weapons. My last game had a fully self-sufficient compound on the western end of the black desert. It was placed such that no enemies ever patrolled near it, and three robots could keep the place running with electricity and no player input. I had a squad of 4-6 guys that would operate out of that home base. If they were there, they could run iron and copper processing equipment and produce weapons or armor as needed, but mostly the base was just a place to drop loot and rest between expeditions.

There's a middle ground between giant sprawling empire and having one dude.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah but that middle ground is "RTS" and I don't like it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the big problem with kenshi's whole production system is that it's 100% micromanaged and ties specific characters to specific tasks on specific objects. the other problem is that you just produce infinitely until you run out of storage to unload whatever production machine to. can't really fault Chris Hunt too much for not duplicating DF or Rimworld or whatever in his first go, hopefully Kenshi 2 will do this kind of system better.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The middle ground is the most fun I've had with the game. My current run is a party of 6: 4 hivers, a skeleton and a miserable shek, and am basically playing a party-based RPG. I haven't done any production at all aside from research. All of my gear is looted or purchased. I have a hunting lodge set up in the burning forest with beds, storage, cages, and research that I return to to rest up at and store booty, which is literally just one building (now an outpost s-IV because I am fancy) with no perimeter walls or crops or anything.

At some point I'll make my own meds/repair kits because I am always running low, but for now nobody has a trades skill higher than 20.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I like to make full bases and give everyone jobs to do, but then when I want to explore I just fully abandon the base and everyone gears up and goes out together. Any raids or other events that show up at the base while it's empty just sit and wait until you get back, or expire after a few days. You can use this to break stuff like the tax collector events because they don't always trigger again if you let one just sit at your base and expire.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Either your base is a summer camp you visit once a year with your 1 or 2 dozen friends to make dustwiches and 50 tons of hash (btw this is the preferred way) or its a giant self sufficient mess which you have used the no party capacity mod to program 50 dudes to each have exactly one job because the priority system falls apart for anything more. No middle ground, these are your two options.

I like it this way but it may be Stockholm Syndrome.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

dogstile posted:

Getting The Peeler is the true endgame

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

forbidden dialectics posted:

Getting The Peeler is the true endgame

I used organic free-range fogmen.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

dogstile posted:

GruntyThrst posted:

Kenshi in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the gentle bites of the fog men are like tender kisses from your first love, they teach you and guide you to full maturity

you're not a real man until you've had your legs kissed off