Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I love the random yankee teacher with the striped shades on page 15. Has he shown up before?

No idea, but he's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Patware posted:

owned immediately

Owned beyond measure outlander…

I am the n’wah.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013361

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

ten gallon wiener

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
yay, I did it.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

PirateZim posted:

ten gallon wiener

Pure...beef.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Wang.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

That's my new favorite panel

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013341

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The authors transparent love for ultraman is great

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I really hope this doesn't end with this weirdo getting invisibility powers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's going to get cool kaiju powers instead

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i can't believe he was immediately helpful but also a hard sci-fi fan really would round out this gang since they are all stupid

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm just worried about him becoming this manga's "funny sexpest" character. Dandadan's been good at avoiding that sort of thing so far but I don't trust shonen manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThingOne posted:

I'm just worried about him becoming this manga's "funny sexpest" character. Dandadan's been good at avoiding that sort of thing so far but I don't trust shonen manga.
it's already kind of hard to recommend this series because of the very first chapter, so it's already shot itself in the foot in terms of collar-tugging aspects of the series. plus despite being terrible he was still moderately funny this chapter, so I'm sure he could be stupid and entertaining like the rest of the crew.

still my least liked character of any potential main cast characters in the series, but still.

mannnnn, why's the first chapter gotta be like that when the rest of the series pretty much entirely avoids that sort of poo poo?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'm willing to bet that it was an editorial decision, like he was being pressured to make a raunchy story and when the series took off he was able to tell the aliens vs. ghosts story that he wanted to tell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Regardless of if it was editorial pressure to put "fanservice" in to attract the worst sorts of people or not, it matters little. The first chapter has an alien abduction and graphic attempted rape by said aliens, and it just sucks that is right there up front but disappeared entirely past the first chapter. It's a black mark on an otherwise fantastic, creative series that makes it much harder to suggest to people.

I do agree I hope the guy isn't just the mineta of this series though, and he either rarely appears or drops his dumb shtick quickly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

I'm willing to bet that it was an editorial decision, like he was being pressured to make a raunchy story and when the series took off he was able to tell the aliens vs. ghosts story that he wanted to tell.

I doubt it was editorial pressure, considering who the editor is. Apparently, the manga started as just being a "Write whatever you want" project since the mangaka wasn't having any inspiration come to mind.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It's a classic (and gross) trope of the sci-fi alien genre, just look at the original Alien 1979 movie. Many real-world accounts of alien abductions also have stuff like this, perhaps influenced by pop culture. It's not out of nowhere for him to include it but yeah it's really off putting and I almost dropped the series when it first came out because of it.

I'm glad I stuck around though since it was (hopefully) just a one-off thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's being a sex creep because that's what he thinks is the secret to okarun's popularity. it's not an intrinsic element to his character.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
They are running around him yelling about Okarun's balls with an impossible to guess context. Hopefully when what's actually happening is cleared up he will drop it. But he will not, must not, drop the insane posing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm willing to bet he will continue to just say outrageously impolite things but that's a really different thing from the usual shounen sex creep "let's break down this wall to see the g g GIRLS" thing

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

His transformation is going to be entirely powered by saying things that makes people complain about him being a creep.

Pre edit: I’m confident Dandadan will make this work and be hilarious to be clear.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, I forgot how bad the alien abduction was in the beginning of the series. I feel like most of the sex stuff in the series is so ridiculous as to be funny rather than gross, but that almost rape scene felt like it was just pure creepy fan service. We also veered back in that direction with the bath house scene where the creepy guys were trying to assault Momo, so I am a little worried about where the new character is going. Just please don't be a Mineta.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Since Viz is taking its time with print collections, is it too much to hope that a redraw is a possibility...?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Like, what makes you think that is a possibility at all?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I dunno, I'm getting too used to the OPM redraws?

Also as people have said, it's just such an off-putting way to kick off a series. It took off in spite of that but not hard to imagine an editor or marketing person getting cold feet and floating the idea when it comes time for the mass print market. Then again, some of the poo poo that makes it into, say, Barnes and Noble anyway...

Author could be feeling dissatisfied with how it fits in with the series as it is now, too. Grasping at straws, obviously.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 21, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
OPM is a completely different beast and gets redraws because thats how they have it setup.

Dandadan’s first volume is already out in Japan and is scheduled for an October release here. They would have to ask the artist to put on hold whatever they’re doing now to redraw and change things just for the American market. The chances of this happening because people are handwringing about it on a message board are close to zero. If there was some sort of universal backlash to it, sure, maybe. However, I think unless there’s some kind of pressing reason, it’s going to stay as is.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The first chapter is fine. Even if it has flaws or has stuff in it that's a little strange or atonal for the rest of the story it's definitely nowhere near the level of getting a redraw.

I think the author just puts the more questionable content of the first chapter at the same level as the objectively cool and funny moments where, for example, Momo and Okarun exit the nessie dimension in a soaking, blatantly post-coital embrace in the middle of the school halls or a significant motivation for Okarun being that a ghost stole his dick and balls.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013372

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Just really not feeling this chapter. After the amazing composer fight, the Godzilla almost feels mundane. In a lot of the pages, it almost feels like they are fighting a statue, it just feels so static. It also just doesn't feel that threatening compared to the composers or the death worm. I'm hoping we get a big twist to the Godzilla next chapter, which we probably will, along with the evil eye having to team up and fight it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
it looks like a giant monster suit lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lamebot posted:

it looks like a giant monster suit lol

It's 1:1 an ultraman kaiju

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I literally used to have an action figure of this guy. This looks altered slightly to avoid copyright but uh… not be the much at all. I think it’s just the face markings really.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Roxors posted:

Just really not feeling this chapter. After the amazing composer fight, the Godzilla almost feels mundane. In a lot of the pages, it almost feels like they are fighting a statue, it just feels so static. It also just doesn't feel that threatening compared to the composers or the death worm. I'm hoping we get a big twist to the Godzilla next chapter, which we probably will, along with the evil eye having to team up and fight it.

Theres so many great faces and movement from the main cast - who cares about the monster?!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Theres so many great faces and movement from the main cast - who cares about the monster?!

The main cast.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013766

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hell yeah the house is gonna get a transformation too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

We’re definitely getting a kaiju battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
They’re going to turn the house into a giant robot