Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren:

I’m pleased to invite Night Tories, and all other interested persons, to apply for your next UKMT gang tag.

To receive it, you must reply to this post with a scene from the Thick of It, by the end of the 11th of July, British Summer Time. Unoriginal show content submissions won’t be eligible.

Also, please specify how you want to have it, e.g., your gang tags in a scroll bar, a specific tag replaced, your title or avatar removed, with a pint (though I can’t really help you with that one), or something else.

If you don’t know where to get your bite of the Thick of It, you could definitely do worse than by looking at https://twitter.com/oocthickofit

Hello, I would like one please:) Just slap it under the av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

I recently got a wee nobsound amp and it's really good. I used it with some new speakers to upgrade an old stereogram to Bluetooth. Puts out a lot of power and it's very low background noise.

Before:

Amp and speakers fitted:

New speaker cloth:

That looks ace :)

I've heard good things in terms of being on the small/cheapish/decent sound/not-cooking-itself quadripoint, but I've had bad experiences with almost every built in bluetooth type sound device* so I'm just going for the lead goes in other leads come out variety.

e: *Except like bluetooth headphones where the whole point is to be bluetooth, I mean more like the ones where a bluetooth module was soldered in as a technically available option

OwlFancier posted:

Wee Nobsound would be a good name for an MP.
You may be getting confused with the Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Wee Nobhead

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Pretty sure this one was posted as well.

Ah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FrQnQv0Vw

Less topical but still good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

You may be getting confused with the Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Wee Nobhead

Or beloved seventies Top of the Pops host, Wee Noblover

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

One gang tag please.

Be gentle, it's my first time.

Edit: forgot to add, please keep my AV and text, just put it wherever.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m pleased to invite Night Tories, and all other interested persons, to apply for your next UKMT gang tag.

To receive it, you must reply to this post with a scene from the Thick of It, by the end of the 11th of July, British Summer Time. Unoriginal show content submissions won’t be eligible.

Also, please specify how you want to have it, e.g., your gang tags in a scroll bar, a specific tag replaced, your title or avatar removed, with a pint (though I can’t really help you with that one), or something else.

If you don’t know where to get your bite of the Thick of It, you could definitely do worse than by looking at https://twitter.com/oocthickofit

May I have a gang tag please!

https://twitter.com/OOCThickOfIt/status/1529412908798599168?s=20&t=F29eBu8zVukIZ4183hGqPg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1546601370899419136?t=NYKm5esRrVIIyER-ZkUAUg&s=19

The comments on this are all already seriously grim. UK be Normal for like a half hour please

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I use a Nobsound subwoofer amp for my dorky seat-mounted bass shaker and can confirm it shakes bass real good.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

piano chimp posted:

I use a Nobsound subwoofer amp for my dorky seat-mounted bass shaker and can confirm it shakes bass real good.

And your rear end?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/stepheniscowboy/status/1546470485709541379

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Il Doccia

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Good day for some bad news!

Energy bills to rise more than predicted, says Ofgem boss

quote:

Mr Brearley said in May that a typical household gas and electricity bill on the price cap would increase to £2,800 a year, owing to continued volatility in gas prices.

But on Monday, he told MPs on the Public Accounts Committee that it was "clear", given the current "pricing dynamics" and the ongoing war in Ukraine, that "prices are looking higher than they did when we made that estimate".

However, he would not be drawn on exactly how much higher bills would be, ahead of the official announcement in the coming weeks.

Starting later this week, direct payments will be made to low-income households to help with the cost of living and covering energy bills.

Sarah Munby, permanent secretary at the Department for Business, said ministers would "keep a close eye" on whether this policy should go further if bills rose higher than expected.

Good thing there's a Tory leadership contest on

Next Conservative leader and PM to be unveiled by 5 September

quote:

Conservative leadership timetable

Tuesday 12 July - nominations to get on the ballot open and close

Wednesday 13 July - first round of voting among Tory MPs

Thursday 14 July - likely date for second round of voting

Monday 18 July - likely date for third round of voting, if required

Thursday 21 July - deadline for deciding final two candidates

Monday 5 September - winner announced

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Z the IVth posted:

Send it as a gift valued at €1?

Unless your relative is like super famous I find it dubious anyone in customs is going to recognise or care about the value of art.

I think the record I've heard is 3 Warlord Titans (Warhammer kits the size of a toddler) making it past customs untaxed with nary a second glance.

Sounds like HRMC has at least some loyal servants of the Emperor.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/NickyWoolf/status/1546485729592807424
'summer SCORCHER: clear blue skies and PERFECT weather for beach GETAWAY' i read in the daily mail as the air itself spontaneously bursts into flames

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Now I feel bad for half arsing this:

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1546476900297703424?t=D5KEGao_Qx__AejqnyJ1GQ&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

'summer SCORCHER: clear blue skies and PERFECT weather for beach GETAWAY' i read in the daily mail as the air itself spontaneously bursts into flames
You can tell it's serious because they've gone back to Celsius to not scare their older readership.

Normally it's "-5C Arctic Blast!" in winter and "98 Degree Scorcher Hotter Than Foreign Place (Spain or Malta maybe not one of the scary Arab ones)" in summer.

Can't do a 110 degree scorcher without making their octogenarians worry that there's something to this climate change.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was in southern France mid June and the first few days the temps were in the mid 40s. (C not F) and mid 30s the rest of the time.
When I lived in Cairo the temps for most of the year were in the 30s (rarely went into the 40s - Gulf folk used to come over to Cairo in the hottest part of summer to get cool).
Most of the time I was able to be reasonably cool with the shutters closed and two fans.

I know UK isn't geared for very high temps but it does seem a bit of a fuss.

Now if we want to talk about the utter bone-chilling coldness of a Cairo winter, where your **indoors** is down around to 9-10C, no heaters for many people, where the cold seeps into the walls, furniture, your clothes, that is another matter. (Yes I know 'cold seeping in' isn't exactly a physics explanation but suffices for the description.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Now if we want to talk about the utter bone-chilling coldness of a Cairo winter, where your **indoors** is down around to 9-10C, no heaters for many people, where the cold seeps into the walls, furniture, your clothes, that is another matter. (Yes I know 'cold seeping in' isn't exactly a physics explanation but suffices for the description.)

I would actually like to hear more about this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Less than an hour remains to sign up for your gang tag.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

In detail, please, as I am currently sweating my tits off.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tarnop posted:

He's using their own phrasing against them which will highlight right-wing hypocrisy, a highly successful tactic that definitely doesn't just further culturally embed tory framing of the issue!

It also doesn't make sense, because tax cuts don't involve generating more government expenditure, just taking less money from people, so it's very easily rebuffed.

There are major issues with tax cuts of course, but that's not what the average person is going to hear.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Convex posted:

Assuming you mean why it feels cold?
Well properties are not built to keep heat in. There's no such thing as 'cavity walls' or double-glazing (except maybe some very wealthy individuals), and most properties have no heating though I did stay in a flat once that had a weird kind of wood burner which we didn't use (god knows where the smoke went because it was on about the 9th floor of a 15 storey block!)
Many windows don't fit properly and let in draughts.
In Jan/Feb it is often warmer outside than in.

I've friends who live in the Med areas of Spain who say the same and even some Australians say the same.

How to stay cool in the heat (lessons learned from hot country living)

Keep the curtains, blinds, shutters, windows CLOSED all day (or at least when the sun is pointing at them - eg in my flat, the sun only comes through my windows in mid-late afternoon, but other flats in my block get full on sun all morning and shade in the PM).
Two fans - desktop variety pointing at you from two different directions. I find one static and one oscillating works well.
Drinking tea can be more refreshing than cold drinks.
If your furniture is up to it, rinse out a sheet in cold water and wrap it round you.

Also:
Check your light bulbs - get rid of halogen bulbs if you still have them - they can literally burn holes in wardrobes - don't ask me how I know... ahem.... some of those tall free-standing lamps with a 'mother and daughter' light use a lot of Watts. I inherited one of my dad when he died, never bothered checking the W until the bulb went and gob-smacked to find out it was 150W. I saved £5 a month on my electricity bill by purely never using it again!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 11, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well properties are not built to keep heat in. There's no such thing as 'cavity walls' or double-glazing (except maybe some very wealthy individuals), and most properties have no heating though I did stay in a flat once that had a weird kind of wood burner which we didn't use (god knows where the smoke went because it was on about the 9th floor of a 15 storey block!)

I've friends who live in the Med areas of Spain who say the same and even some Australians say the same.

Interesting! Thanks :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was in southern France mid June and the first few days the temps were in the mid 40s. (C not F) and mid 30s the rest of the time.
When I lived in Cairo the temps for most of the year were in the 30s (rarely went into the 40s - Gulf folk used to come over to Cairo in the hottest part of summer to get cool).
Most of the time I was able to be reasonably cool with the shutters closed and two fans.

I know UK isn't geared for very high temps but it does seem a bit of a fuss.
The UK isn't geared for spending all day indoors with the shutters closed and two fans either. I'm mostly sure that's where a lot of the lazy [Africans/Latins/Mediterraneans] stereotypes come from, because why would anyone stop work for hours in the middle of the day, when it's right in the middle of your workday, unless you are a woke communist who hates work. Work through it. Get woozy at 3pm. Feel like poo poo the next day. Open your blinds at 8am. Get nothing done. Don't like it then leave.

That and the other end where "it was boiling when I went there in December, bet they don't even have winter there" for South Africa also translates to Egypt because it can't be that big, can it.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

though I did stay in a flat once that had a weird kind of wood burner which we didn't use (god knows where the smoke went because it was on about the 9th floor of a 15 storey block!)
Maybe some kind of creative exhaust system, this one has antecedents back to the Roman Empire

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Drinking tea can be more refreshing than cold drinks.

:vince:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to imagine nicodemus was the roman who invented it and that he also used a fifty five gallon stainless steel drum.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/OOCThickOfIt/status/1544075601140760579

I would like a gang tag please (my first one and all that, I missed out on the previous UKMT ones). If possible please keep my title, it's very UKMT too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 11, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I like to imagine nicodemus was the roman who invented it and that he also used a fifty five gallon stainless steel drum.
I bet Heron of Alexandria could knock one together in an afternoon if you showed him a steel oil barrel. And then either have the whole city heated or on fire if you showed him what it was designed to contain.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Aren't all those countries ones with lower humidity?

Like don't the British and Emerald Isles have a much humidity? Which is why temeperaturs in the mid 20s get really uncomfortable?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The UK isn't geared for spending all day indoors with the shutters closed and two fans either. I'm mostly sure that's where a lot of the lazy [Africans/Latins/Mediterraneans] stereotypes come from, because why would anyone stop work for hours in the middle of the day, when it's right in the middle of your workday, unless you are a woke communist who hates work. Work through it. Get woozy at 3pm. Feel like poo poo the next day. Open your blinds at 8am. Get nothing done. Don't like it then leave.

That and the other end where "it was boiling when I went there in December, bet they don't even have winter there" for South Africa also translates to Egypt because it can't be that big, can it.

Maybe some kind of creative exhaust system, this one has antecedents back to the Roman Empire

It looked more like a very very large tagine (about 1.5m high) with a hole cut in the front!
I've googled and can't find anything that looks like it.

Ed: Kind of like this (a patio heater according to Amazon) - but it was more bulbous. Like the bastard child of a patio heater and bread oven.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Aren't all those countries ones with lower humidity?

Like don't the British and Emerald Isles have a much humidity? Which is why temeperaturs in the mid 20s get really uncomfortable?

Yes though in Cairo it can get pretty humid too sometimes. It's not always dry heat. Can't speak for the other places as I've never been.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gang tag petitions are closed. I’ll weigh them on their merits some time tomorrow, and submit those that make the cut for admin approval thereafter. Given the current state of affairs, they may take a week or so to arrive.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Convex posted:

Good thing there's a Tory leadership contest on

Next Conservative leader and PM to be unveiled by 5 September
So if Boris does plan to stand for leader again he has to announce it Tuesday? Are there actual rules preventing him from calling off the leadership contest later or is it “gentleman’s agreement” poo poo he can just ignore?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
How much stock should I put into this article?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/l...diately-1734703

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Heat chat:

Who else remembers The Hot Summer of 1976?

I was a stroppy teen and my folks insisted on me going on holiday with them to a Welsh beach somewhere. I spent the whole holiday in heavy jeans, heavy purple cardigan, reading Dead Souls by Gogol and listening to Night at the Opera by Queen. At the end of the holiday, just before leaving for the 4hr drive home, my dad picked me up (fully dressed) and threw me in the sea. I think he regretted having a very wet, very stroppy teen in the car (with several other siblings) chuntering and complaining all the way home. They never made me go on family holiday again!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

The 1976 British Isles heat wave led to the second hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began. At the same time, the country suffered a severe drought.[2][3] It was one of the driest, sunniest and warmest summers (June/July/August) in the 20th century, although the summer of 1995 is now regarded as the driest. Only a few places registered more than half their average summer rainfall. In the CET record, it was the warmest summer in that series. It was the warmest summer in the Aberdeen area since at least 1864, and the driest summer since 1868 in Glasgow.[4]

Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[5] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cimber posted:

How much stock should I put into this article?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/l...diately-1734703

quote:

“We’re asking Tories MPs, and leadership candidates to choose between backing Labour in the national interest, or to be on the record endorsing Johnson again, despite all the proven lies, damage, and distraction. If they choose the latter, it’s a bad look for them,” a source close to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said
lmao oh no, a bad look! you’re gonna get them for sure with this one sir!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/jrmaidment/status/1546464597930135555

Embrace your new Premier Britons

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, I mean, after Boris, who would stand against a good Catholic? They, after all have exceedingly few sex scanda.... oh.... oh, right. That.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone asked me yesterday who is the least worst candidate, and I still don't have an answer for them. I guess it's inconsequential, as you can guarantee that the 150,000 mostly old, white bigots will choose the very worst out of the bunch to lead us for the next two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Mad dogs and Englishmen (really brits in general), is a saying in the tropics for a reason.