Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hadlock posted:

I'm honestly really impressed with the resiliency of aquatic plants. Ordered two water hyacinth and two water lettuce. Toddler was infactuated with the fibrous balls of the hyacinth and ripped both large, healthy plants to pieces. The floaty balls were shredded from one plant but with some help from me would float upright and new growth was appearing, but eventually died. The other one had half a floaty ball left and it's trucking along, looking like it'll make a full recovery

The water lettuce, she ripped all but two leaves off of one and mostly ignored the second . The first one regrew all of it's leaves, the second one has spawned three "pups" already, one disconnected on it's own and is filtering my tupperware backup pond now

Golden topminnows arrived, along with some dwarf crayfish, topminnows living up to their name. I haven't seen them eat a mosquito yet but in the evenings it's not uncommon to see them buzzing over the water. I guess I need to go get some bloodworms from the fish store? They came in the mail so they're probably hungry.

Dwarf crayfish went into my pond and immediately disappeared, probably never to be seen again, they're dark brown on a black pond liner. But I guess they eat algae so that's nice :unsmith:

Crayfish eat everything. Though algae tends to be the last thing they'll touch if there is other sources of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Summer tubbing update:
The struggle with local fauna continues, but the tub residents live on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJOsL0ctQM

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Recently got thrown a 15 gallon tank and doing some looking from links in op I'm pretty sure I can get everything setup so they don't die. But I'm not super sure how much I can actually put in it. For example I wanted a suckerfish and some tetras though I'm pretty sure it's too small for a suckerfish.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Summer tubbing update:
The struggle with local fauna continues, but the tub residents live on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJOsL0ctQM

That's a pretty sweet hammock for him. You should rig it into a trap, and then capture and befriend him so you can get yourself a Raccacoonie situation going

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7093190928692694318

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Recently got thrown a 15 gallon tank and doing some looking from links in op I'm pretty sure I can get everything setup so they don't die. But I'm not super sure how much I can actually put in it. For example I wanted a suckerfish and some tetras though I'm pretty sure it's too small for a suckerfish.

This is where knowing the scientific name of the fish can help. It'll let you get some precision info when you research how big a fish will grow and what kind of environment it needs. A sucker mouthed catfish could mean any of the Loricariidae, bristlenose or otocinclus; even though they are small I wouldn't put an oto in a small tank because they need surface area to survive, and wood eating plecos poop a lot and would mess up a 15 gallon fairly quickly. Chinese algae eaters, Gyrinocheilus also have a suckermouth but they get big and need a lot more room. Gastromyzon type hillstream loaches could do well in a 15g if it's set up right, I had 4 pseudogastromyzon myersi for 6 months in a small tank and they did well because they weren't competing with other fish. I think garra have sucker mouths too but I don't know much about them - they are smaller fish and might fit in a 15g Edit: correction garra do get bigger at adult size and need 30g minimum, oops! Check out a site like aqadvisor.com to test ideas and look for incompatibility issues, it makes it a lot easier to plan things before you start.

Edit 2: If you mean a corydoras catfish you could definitely keep pandas or smaller in a 15g

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 9, 2022

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

This is where knowing the scientific name of the fish can help. It'll let you get some precision info when you research how big a fish will grow and what kind of environment it needs. A sucker mouthed catfish could mean any of the Loricariidae, bristlenose or otocinclus; even though they are small I wouldn't put an oto in a small tank because they need surface area to survive, and wood eating plecos poop a lot and would mess up a 15 gallon fairly quickly. Chinese algae eaters, Gyrinocheilus also have a suckermouth but they get big and need a lot more room. Gastromyzon type hillstream loaches could do well in a 15g if it's set up right, I had 4 pseudogastromyzon myersi for 6 months in a small tank and they did well because they weren't competing with other fish. I think garra have sucker mouths too but I don't know much about them - they are smaller fish and might fit in a 15g Edit: correction garra do get bigger at adult size and need 30g minimum, oops! Check out a site like aqadvisor.com to test ideas and look for incompatibility issues, it makes it a lot easier to plan things before you start.

Edit 2: If you mean a corydoras catfish you could definitely keep pandas or smaller in a 15g

I think it was a Plecostomus, at least that's what my dad says his was in the tank he had when I was a kid. I'll try to give aqua advisor another go, see if I can get it to cooperate.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
you could also, like, get a bigger tank

tanks are cheap, often stupidly so if you catch a sale

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Thought y'all might like this. Friend's 15 year old freshwater goby havin' a snack.

e: I can't validate the lifespan, that's just what my friend said :v:

https://i.imgur.com/VDg3CO0.mp4

MagpieConcept fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 10, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tell your friend the internet said that is one badass beast right there. Certainly looks like he's 15, that's an old boy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MagpieConcept posted:

Thought y'all might like this. Friend's 15 year old freshwater goby havin' a snack.

e: I can't validate the lifespan, that's just what my friend said :v:

https://i.imgur.com/VDg3CO0.mp4

is this absolute unit in a fully freshwater tank or brackish? I thought all “freshwater” gobies actually preferred differing degrees of brackishness or else they’d stress and eventually die early

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I love giant ancient monster fish. Oscars the size of a salad plate, goldfish the size of a softball, plecos as long as my arm, whatever that goby thing is.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Ok Comboomer posted:

is this absolute unit in a fully freshwater tank or brackish? I thought all “freshwater” gobies actually preferred differing degrees of brackishness or else they’d stress and eventually die early

I checked with my friend and she said brackish. I can't imagine keeping up that kind of tank for that long lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MagpieConcept posted:

I checked with my friend and she said brackish. I can't imagine keeping up that kind of tank for that long lol.

beautiful work

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks dang near a lingcod!

Hell, I've been smugly satisfied peeking some of the lunker female guppies hiding in the depths of my patio tub.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I recently got a 10 gallon tank. I'm throwing in a few plants in it today, then stocking it in a couple weeks. This will mainly be for my kids (9 and 5).

I was thinking 1 Betta, neon tetras, and ghost shrimp. All pretty cheap and fun to look at.

I was wondering about how many of the tetras and shrimp would be good in a tank that size? Or what might work better?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

RodShaft posted:

I recently got a 10 gallon tank. I'm throwing in a few plants in it today, then stocking it in a couple weeks. This will mainly be for my kids (9 and 5).

I was thinking 1 Betta, neon tetras, and ghost shrimp. All pretty cheap and fun to look at.

I was wondering about how many of the tetras and shrimp would be good in a tank that size? Or what might work better?

I have 8 ember tetras in my ten at work, along with the cray and they all seem to do fine. Never had the tank go out of whack. Really fun to watch the tetras when it's feeding time, they all go line up in the filter outflow to catch the food as it gets pushed under while the cray climbs the big plant in the corner to snag whatever floats by on the surface

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Betta won't harass the tetras?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

The Betta won't harass the tetras?

The internet tells me it won't. It's on multiple lists of betta tankmates. There's a lot of contradictory info on whether or not a betta will harass plycos or snails but I'm guessing yes in a tank that size. If he harasses the shrimp I'll try something else and only be out pennies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RodShaft posted:

The internet tells me it won't. It's on multiple lists of betta tankmates. There's a lot of contradictory info on whether or not a betta will harass plycos or snails but I'm guessing yes in a tank that size. If he harasses the shrimp I'll try something else and only be out pennies.

worst case Ontario you gotta drop another $15 on a 5-10 gal tank to plonk the betta into and then you have two tanks like everybody else in this thread

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I only have one tank, thank you, and it has both tetras and a betta in it. No issues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I only have one tank, thank you, and it has both tetras and a betta in it. No issues.

your loss

double your tanks = double your scapes = double your fun

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i have my 75g freshwater but i really want to get a 2nd one, either that size or maybe a 125 to do a saltwater reef

2 tanks is probably the most i can handle though. i feel like having more in the small house i live in is gonna start to get weird

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

you could also, like, get a bigger tank

tanks are cheap, often stupidly so if you catch a sale

Probs will when we finish setting up our basement, partner seems fine with cory's and ember tetras for the time being.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

i have my 75g freshwater but i really want to get a 2nd one, either that size or maybe a 125 to do a saltwater reef

2 tanks is probably the most i can handle though. i feel like having more in the small house i live in is gonna start to get weird

I have a 29 gallon in my bathroom. It is worse than a cell phone for sitting and wasting time on the toilet.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have a 29 gallon in my bathroom. It is worse than a cell phone for sitting and wasting time on the toilet.

It took about a fortnight for my partner to go from "Ok, you have a tank with some shrimp in it, whatever, you do you" to "How are the shrimp going today" to "Ok, they are really cute" to "I have to try and find some each time I go into the room"

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

How big and how many tetras? Do you have any cleanup crew?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

post pics

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Probs will when we finish setting up our basement, partner seems fine with cory's and ember tetras for the time being.

If you want a suckermouth fish a clown pleco would be fine a 15g if you are willing to provide driftwood for it to eat and prepared to deal with a lot of fish poop. They are one of my favorite fish but they are little poop factories. They have the classic pleco appearance, interesting markings and I've never seen one get bigger than 3 inches.

E: They're widely available and cheap too!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

RodShaft posted:

How big and how many tetras? Do you have any cleanup crew?

Two tetras, one betta, three kuhli loaches, and lots of snails and shrimp. It's a 20 gallon fully planted Walstad tank so lots of hiding space. I'm going to order some more tetras from Aquatic Arts once it cools down outside.

edit: shrimp mukbang front and center. I put a couple kernals of corn on a needle on a piece of thread and dropped it in there. Makes it easy to retrieve the parts they don't eat.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 12, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Any suggestions for aquarium soil? I've used aquasoil in the past, but am open to trying something new.

This is for a grow out tank for CPDs, I was thinking of growing out water sprite or something else leafy for hiding places. I wasn't planning on co2 though, so maybe another plant is more appropriate. I'd like something low maintenance.

I'm interested in light recommendations too.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 12, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I used coconut coir compost capped with fine aquarium sand, which as you can see works great for growing plants, but if you breach the sand cap it makes a huge mess, so if you do that I suggest using a heavier sand/small gravel.

edit: for lighting I use those cheap Aqueon clip lights (https://www.aqueon.com/products/lighting/clip-on-led-lights) and a sponge filter.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm constantly pulling plants up and replanting them in Mt other tank, I don't think a capping layer would survive the way I tend to work.

Maybe I could do bare bottom with plants in pots...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I wish these loaches were in stock more. My loacha-colas had some casualties. :( I like the little hillstream loaches. They hoover about, wiggling while they eat.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Any suggestions for aquarium soil? I've used aquasoil in the past, but am open to trying something new.

This is for a grow out tank for CPDs, I was thinking of growing out water sprite or something else leafy for hiding places. I wasn't planning on co2 though, so maybe another plant is more appropriate. I'd like something low maintenance.

I'm interested in light recommendations too.

Just do aand and use root tabs into the sand under the plants. They'll grow just as well without the high nutrient leech aquasoil does. Thus tou can control the maintenance based on how much you effort more root rabs.

Alternatively, I did bare bottom in my quarantine tank with plants in the aquarium coop rock planters.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Just do aand and use root tabs into the sand under the plants. They'll grow just as well without the high nutrient leech aquasoil does. Thus tou can control the maintenance based on how much you effort more root rabs.

Alternatively, I did bare bottom in my quarantine tank with plants in the aquarium coop rock planters.

Awesome thanks!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Do root tabs make that much of a difference?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think they help heaps for root feeders like crypts, swords, Val, even faster growing stem plants will root feed a bit. For an inert substrate it's the difference between slow stunted growth and normal healthy growth.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I haven't given an update on my breeding rack since I set it up. Here's what it looks like now:

I have 4 species:

Ocellaris clownfish

Banggai cardinalfish (I'm pretty sure these guys have paired up)

Tomato clownfish (and the 3rd Banggai, I moved it to this tank when the others paired up and started picking on it)

Three fairy basslets (aka Royal gramma). These are the guys I want to breed the most, but I think will be hardest. They all seem to fight, so I might've gotten unlucky and gotten 3 of the same sex, or they're just jerks to each other. Can't tell yet.

Right now all the fish are juveniles, so I haven't seen any eggs yet. Both clownfish species have shown some mating behavior, so I'm optimistic. Right now, I'm fattening them up, and hoping the fairy basslets pair off...

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NPR Journalizard posted:

It took about a fortnight for my partner to go from "Ok, you have a tank with some shrimp in it, whatever, you do you" to "How are the shrimp going today" to "Ok, they are really cute" to "I have to try and find some each time I go into the room"

That's the way my tank at work started "Oh, you put shrimp in it? Shrimp are ugly" And after a couple weeks "Where are the shrimp? Oh, look at them so, they're so cute!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I haven't given an update on my breeding rack since I set it up. Here's what it looks like now:

I have 4 species:

Ocellaris clownfish

Banggai cardinalfish (I'm pretty sure these guys have paired up)

Tomato clownfish (and the 3rd Banggai, I moved it to this tank when the others paired up and started picking on it)

Three fairy basslets (aka Royal gramma). These are the guys I want to breed the most, but I think will be hardest. They all seem to fight, so I might've gotten unlucky and gotten 3 of the same sex, or they're just jerks to each other. Can't tell yet.

Right now all the fish are juveniles, so I haven't seen any eggs yet. Both clownfish species have shown some mating behavior, so I'm optimistic. Right now, I'm fattening them up, and hoping the fairy basslets pair off...

So very envious.

I love my clownfish pair. They're never more than a few inches apart.