Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If I'm gonna get pms symptoms I'd at least like to also get my period eventually. gently caress pcos what a bullshit disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Killingyouguy! posted:

If I'm gonna get pms symptoms I'd at least like to also get my period eventually. gently caress pcos what a bullshit disease

Yeeeeeeeeeeah god what a ride

You know when my parathyroid gland decided to explode in a huge benign tumour at least my periods stopped for the year it took to get the surgery. That was a heck of a silver lining.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Prior auth on my hysterectomy + endometriosis excision approved! I hope they wave sage over my abdominal cavity to exorcise the evil spirits left behind.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do periods make people depressed/anxious? I know mines around the corner and man I have been extremely depressed and stressed out lately

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Xun posted:

Do periods make people depressed/anxious? I know mines around the corner and man I have been extremely depressed and stressed out lately

PMS makes things impressively dark but once the period actually starts I'm actually in a better than average mood

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Xun posted:

Oh absolutely. Depending on life stressors my anxiety will hyperfocus on something bad happening, usually to my cats or I get convinced I'm going to die if I fall asleep.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Killingyouguy! posted:

PMS makes things impressively dark but once the period actually starts I'm actually in a better than average mood

I had a 4th year course entitled Process Modelling & Simulation and you could really get some great reactions talking in the cafeteria about how you weren't looking forward to PMS later that week.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Xun posted:

Oh most definitely. Different stages in the hormone cycle can trigger depression/anxiety symptoms in a lot of people.
It might be useful to you to keep some kind of mood diary. After a few months you'll hopefully be able to see a pattern where, say 3 days before your period starts, you feel to like dogshit.
It might not relieve the actual feelings but I've found knowing that the black mood is 100% down to hormone fuckery helps me get less upset by it.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Xun posted:

I literally take a specific (additional) antidepressant leading up to my period because it's so bad for me, so it's definitely a possibility that it's related.

I can also say that the first PMS cycle where I didn't want to punch out everyone I met was loving life changing.

You know people experience PMS differently, but it's never ever really discussed when you should seek help instead of suffering monthly because it's expected.

Turns out, spending all week crying and working myself into hysterical fits over little nothings every month isn't normal or expected! But everyone says mood swings are normal, and I was certainly experiencing those.

I didn't even think to ask my doctor about it until I finally got my ADHD addressed. Suddenly, I could notice trends in my behavior tied to my hormones and let him know that hey, I lose my loving mind monthly. He decided to try an SSRI in the week leading up.

First one didn't work so well, but the second one makes me feel human and not sweat the small things out of my control.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pookah posted:

Oh most definitely. Different stages in the hormone cycle can trigger depression/anxiety symptoms in a lot of people.
It might be useful to you to keep some kind of mood diary. After a few months you'll hopefully be able to see a pattern where, say 3 days before your period starts, you feel to like dogshit.
It might not relieve the actual feelings but I've found knowing that the black mood is 100% down to hormone fuckery helps me get less upset by it.

I’ve been doing this since the star of the year myself. I’ve been using an app called Daylio to track my mood and what causes me to feel like poo poo on certain days. I did have to modify one of the categories to add ‘period’ to it, but it helps a lot to see a quick overview of your mood changes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Xun posted:

Yep. Waves of absolute black depression throughout the week before.

e: also I too started using Clue to track my moods to see if it was PMS. And I have to take an extra ADHD medication in the week prior to my period too cuz they stop working as well. It's FUN TIMES

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Xun posted:

As you can see from everyone's stories, this is common, but PLEASE talk to your doctor if it's at the point where you can't function. I can say luckily I don't get it too bad, just weepy over little things at random. I had a little meltdown because my friends' mean little bitch cats don't like me a couple weeks ago

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I told my doctor 'it's so bad I want to hurt myself but it's only like a day' a d she was like 'well it's only a day' and I was like "well it's only a day"

It's only a day

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I told my doctor 'it's so bad I want to hurt myself but it's only like a day' a d she was like 'well it's only a day' and I was like "well it's only a day"

It's only a day

can be a long loving day, some months, though.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
My friend was talking to me the other day about buying sanitary towels, and bemoaned how the ones she just bought were scented, even though she plumbed for the own-brand ones that you wouldn't expect to be. Now, I'm a guy who has no idea about these things, so I've come to the friendly neighbourhood thread to ask the burning question. Does anyone like the scented ones? Or is it another way to charge you extra for a feature you don't want?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They're the same cost, they're just gross.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think I will try to talk to a doctor, it feels like most months I'm fine and just get kinda snappy but every once in awhile (like this one) I just feel like hiding in bed doing nothing all day :geno:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

My friend was talking to me the other day about buying sanitary towels, and bemoaned how the ones she just bought were scented, even though she plumbed for the own-brand ones that you wouldn't expect to be. Now, I'm a guy who has no idea about these things, so I've come to the friendly neighbourhood thread to ask the burning question. Does anyone like the scented ones? Or is it another way to charge you extra for a feature you don't want?

They suck. They can't cover up all odour so you just end up with a horrible combination smell.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

let the stench of blood fill you with the urge to kill, cowards

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Really annoyed that my period makes my fuckin knees hurt

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

CherryCola posted:

Really annoyed that my period makes my fuckin knees hurt

Holy poo poo I’m not the only one?? My knees ache like a day or two before I start, like I ran a mile or climbed a bunch of stairs. Bodies, drat.

I’m just wrapping up the latest period, which decided to stay for a couple of extra days, yay…

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My period has one week to show up before I have to take the Pills That Make Me Depressed again so it best be hurryin

Like I'd definitely take this over developing polyps again but Jesus christ it's not a fun experience. Progesterone makes me sad and unable to sleep

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Holy poo poo I’m not the only one?? My knees ache like a day or two before I start, like I ran a mile or climbed a bunch of stairs. Bodies, drat.

I’m just wrapping up the latest period, which decided to stay for a couple of extra days, yay…

This is actually because the hormones that flood your body during your period likely loosen your ligaments which can result in increased injury :eng101:

Link to a study for the interested: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...20testosterone.

Key section

quote:

The hormones controlling the menstrual cycle are thought to affect the overall integrity of the ACL by altering its structure.7 In general, these hormones decrease the tensile properties of the ACL by binding to specific receptors on it.7 Specifically estrogen, when bound to receptors on the ACL, has been shown to decrease fibroblast proliferation, subsequently decreasing collagen production.7 This could theoretically result in a greater incidence of ACL injuries during the pre-ovulatory phase spanning days 1–14 of the menstrual cycle, when estrogen predominates.

There's more studies than this one but not as many as one would think because women are just defective men and can't possibly experience their own unique health problems :)

Yes I get irritable during my period why do you ask

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KitConstantine posted:

This is actually because the hormones that flood your body during your period likely loosen your ligaments which can result in increased injury :eng101:

what the gently caress?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Everything in your body does more than one thing and often the things that a particular chemical does are weird or at cross-purposes or don't make any loving sense.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

KitConstantine posted:

Yes I get irritable during my period why do you ask

Off to map number and average duration of probes handed out per day for last few months.

/flees

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Yeah it started in the last year or so! Though lately I haven’t been getting day before low grade fever as much so it almost seems like it’s one of the other.

I am also cranky and sensitive and trying not to snap at this cute guy I just started dating.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

A story that floated around my grad department went like:

Someone mused about how some women get chocolate cravings around their period, and how estrogen can affect blood sugar levels.

"So maybe women who get chocolate cravings have low blood sugar from high estrogen levels?"

"Maybe? But high estrogen levels correlate with increased risk of breast cancer..."

"So... maybe there's a correlation between chocolate cravings and increased rates of breast cancer?"

"Let's try to get a study going."

Result: no correlation. So much for that idea.

Hormones do all KINDS of stuff some of which we wot not of.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Off to map number and average duration of probes handed out per day for last few months.

/flees

Jokes on you, I've only been a mod since april so your sample won't be representative

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Ovulation is such a huge bitch for me now that I'm not on any birth control anymore. I was so loving exhausted and irritable this weekend, I felt like I was never going to have the energy to do normal stuff ever again. It sucks butt because I don't really have a robust support network to help me with Ralph Junior on the days he's literally climbing all over me while I'm trying to rest. But now I'm fine. Did things like normal.

I kind of want to go back on birth control just to take the edge off, but it makes me prone to depression and anxiety so I guess I'm just going to raw dog it for...cool, like 25% of the month when I'm ovulating or pmsing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Birth control used to do well controlling my emotions and period but I've had to add Wellbutrin to the mix now because emotions are depressing and out of control. Had a procedure that has left me in bad shape and I'm on pain killers and other medication that has wrecked me. Looking forward to returning to normalcy of just normal sadness and bleeding again.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I haven’t been on hormonal birth control in many years because it fucks me uuuup. However I keep having my period at the most frustrating times and I wish I could skip that poo poo. ALAS! (I tried to get an IUD but I apparently have a crooked cervix and they couldn’t get it in)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
IUD was painful and it did not work well for me and led to its own problems. I resorted to the pill which does a great job letting me control things under usual circumstances. After a few months or so things would start to get a little weird and it'd be time to stop taking the pill and let nature do it's reset work.

If you get an IUD and it works for you, congrats.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CherryCola posted:

I haven’t been on hormonal birth control in many years because it fucks me uuuup. However I keep having my period at the most frustrating times and I wish I could skip that poo poo. ALAS! (I tried to get an IUD but I apparently have a crooked cervix and they couldn’t get it in)

Can you get hold of norethisterone where you are? It's something you can take short-term to delay your period. It might gently caress you up like birth control did, though, but it might be worth asking your doctor about.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The Titanic posted:

IUD was painful and it did not work well for me and led to its own problems. I resorted to the pill which does a great job letting me control things under usual circumstances. After a few months or so things would start to get a little weird and it'd be time to stop taking the pill and let nature do it's reset work.

If you get an IUD and it works for you, congrats.

I had IUDs for years, nearly a decade. I had originally used the pill and then stopped for a while because of other medication and realized I felt great without it. When I was using the IUD I felt like a big old loser a lot but figured that was because I was a big old loser and not the IUD because that's not a discourse that's really around the IUD. Once I got it in order to get pregnant I had basically zero amounts of anxiety or depression and it's been that way for the 4+ years I've been off it.

I don't know what other kinds of birth control to use. I guess there are different types of pills, but I don't really want to go loving around with them again after being burned twice.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Maybe try a copper IUD? That doesn't involve any hormones.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I use nuva ring and it works great for me. I tried pills for a while and they literally made me insane, but I don't have any issues with that using nuvaring

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
My period suddenly became a thin but constant scarlet trickle. It's normally pretty clotty and seemed like it was almost over this morning, but then the last few hours...

Zero pain throughout though and I feel perfectly fine besides that - I'm also going through tampons at a fairly normal pace, so unless it's still just as bad by tomorrow it's probably nothing.

Also I had my entire uterine lining fall out back in college, when I first went on the pill and kinda hosed around with the timing for taking it for a while. I think I posted in one of the older sexual health megathreads about it when I first joined this site. Haven't had anything like that since!

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 14, 2022

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

There's also contraceptive implant like Nexplanon, which uses (I think) different hormone than IUDs generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm beginning to hit a point where the blood and cramps and cravings loving suck, but the worst parts of the period for me are the hormonal mood swings as I ramp up to and out of the period. Anger, depression, worse. It's been a lot of fun untangling what's my own mental health vs PMS hell.

Which is to say yeah I've been talking to my obgyn, therapist, psych and regular doc about this. Gonna try a hormonal IUD soon hopefully!

Just wanted to complain especially today because aaaaaaaaaarghhh I want to write today, not nurse my own depression and crankiness!