Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Brisket flats were on sale today so I grabbed one. I plan to smoke it when I have some company over in about a month. My question is, do I freeze it or just let it hang out in my fridge?

I’m not a crazy stickler with “use by” dates, but I tend to stick to them pretty good with perishables like meat and dairy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
A month old brisket flat is dire either way imo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Vacuum-sealed can have dates that far out. I'm hoping that's the case to even consider it

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Vacuum-sealed can have dates that far out. I'm hoping that's the case to even consider it

Yes, vacuumed. Use by is 7/17 and I’m planning on smoking it a month later.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah no, use it or freeze it by 7/17

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I haven't checked in a while and now I cannot get spare ribs / st louis cut ribs anywhere. Is this something new? I checked 3 grocery stores and a local butcher. Nobody has them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Rescue Toaster posted:

I haven't checked in a while and now I cannot get spare ribs / st louis cut ribs anywhere. Is this something new? I checked 3 grocery stores and a local butcher. Nobody has them.

I got some from Costco on the 3rd :shrug:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

Supply has been fine from what I've seen. The price has been not very friendly though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol didn’t we already do the “wet aged” conversation

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

Waiting on restock after 4th of July.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol didn’t we already do the “wet aged” conversation

Figured I’d double check and make sure I wasn’t missing something :downs:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Third cook on the used 18" WSM I acquired a few months ago- setup is more of a pain than just cooking on a kettle but long-term temp maintenance is easier. Feel like I'm wasting space if I spin the thing up and then don't use both the upper and lower racks but I don't necessarily want to turn out 20 lbs of meat every time either

Split on whether or not to really worry about the leaky fuel door that feels like it's made out of an old beer can- I'm sure it's changing things vs having a good seal but the whole cooker is still pretty temp stable regardless

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Third cook on the used 18" WSM I acquired a few months ago- setup is more of a pain than just cooking on a kettle but long-term temp maintenance is easier. Feel like I'm wasting space if I spin the thing up and then don't use both the upper and lower racks but I don't necessarily want to turn out 20 lbs of meat every time either

Split on whether or not to really worry about the leaky fuel door that feels like it's made out of an old beer can- I'm sure it's changing things vs having a good seal but the whole cooker is still pretty temp stable regardless

Find some high heat gasket tape and put a layer under where the door touches the walls. $10-15 and it seals up super well.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also cooking on a used 18” WSM I acquired a few months ago :hfive:

Mine came with the gasket tape already on. Good investment.

I hear what you’re saying about wasted space. I’m coming from a tiny rear end smoker so this thing feels huge. Always feel like I should throw something else on the lower rack if I’m doing a rack of ribs just for me. Took a little while to get used to, but it cooks so much better than my last one I stopped caring.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Throw leftovers in the freezer and you can eat bbq for like a month straight on one big cook. I always use all of the space, since if I'm doing all the setup / teardown, you bet your rear end I'm making as much as I can. Especially if it's a 12+ hour cook.

I have the aftermarket door from cajunbandit on mine since someone recommended it. I have no idea if it's worth the money, but I already have it so I continue to use it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got a 2-pack of pork shoulders from Costco and didn't separate them before freezing. So in the spirit of big cooks, I am going to thaw both, smoke 'em, then vacuum seal+freeze one.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Internet Explorer posted:

I got a 2-pack of pork shoulders from Costco and didn't separate them before freezing. So in the spirit of big cooks, I am going to thaw both, smoke 'em, then vacuum seal+freeze one.

I always vacuum seal pulled pork leftovers in 8oz packages so I can easily reheat a portion any time. If you have a sous vide, you can throw the pulled pork in there at 135F for about 30m and you're good. Doing it this way prevents it from drying out too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Random Hero posted:

I always vacuum seal pulled pork leftovers in 8oz packages so I can easily reheat a portion any time. If you have a sous vide, you can throw the pulled pork in there at 135F for about 30m and you're good. Doing it this way prevents it from drying out too.

If you leave it in the bag, you can actually warm it up in the microwave and it doesn’t dry out either.

E: sous vide is definitely better, but for those who don’t have. For that matter you can just throw the bag in a pan of water on the stove for a while and it’ll be good too.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Yeah, I have the sous vide so my go to is usually 30m or so at 135F and then I cut the bag open right into a pan over medium heat to crisp it up a little carnitas style.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have an Inkbird 4-probe wifi thermometer? On sale for Prime day for $70. Seems pretty rad. I like that you can check your temps from your kid’s soccer practice.

https://a.co/3CgUzRR

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone have an Inkbird 4-probe wifi thermometer? On sale for Prime day for $70. Seems pretty rad. I like that you can check your temps from your kid’s soccer practice.

Thanks for reminding me about Prime Day.

I’ve had good luck with Thermopro so I went with the TP920.

Nothing wrong with my current probe setup, except I’ve always wanted to be able to graph the temps on my phone via Bluetooth. Should be able to do that now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

xsf421 posted:

Find some high heat gasket tape and put a layer under where the door touches the walls. $10-15 and it seals up super well.

the cheapo fuel door is kinda baffling since everything else is so solid on the WSM- yeah got some gasket tape but will have to clean up door to apply it- should help with temp swings due to wind and increase fuel efficiency a little

don't really notice any other issues- thing had a few cooks under its belt by the time I got it and nothing's out of round so any other minor gaps on the lid and main body to fuel pan are pretty well sealed up

loose fuel door doesn't make it unusable by any means but it's just an easily-solved petty irritant

I also apparently need a vacuum sealer to store the results of bigass cooks

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The vacuum sealer is an all around good purchase. I hate using plastic to store food but it does so much better than ziplocks. I use it more for larger size foods I buy (Sam’s club size ground beef and chicken, for example) than I do leftovers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Imo just yeet the meat into the frying pan once thawed. It’ll heat up and crisp up nicely so no need for the microwave/water bath. Bonus, chop an onion and toss it in and they’ll cook up real nice. Doesn’t do wonders for the illusion that it’s not greasy as hell tho.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You don’t need to thaw it for microwave/sous vide, which is pretty nice if you freeze stuff for later on. Definitely nothing wrong with using those to thaw it/get it up in temp and then crisping in a pan, though!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't have that exact thing but inkbird is the gold standard for homebrewers and my temp controller has been flawless for 3ish years now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello thread!

I am looking for a recommendations for a smoker.

Until now I've lived in small aprtments and the only smoking I could do was soaking some woodchips and sealing them in foil with some meat. (Or those pre-filled smoker bags)
But now I live somewhere where I can burn things outdoors!
So anyways, what I'm looking for is something big enough to hold at least one rck of ribs, uncut. (I don't mind cutting other things to fit)
I don't mind prep work, but I really want to set-and-forget once everything is inside and turned on.
What would y'all recommend?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Set and forget is exactly what a pellet smoker will get you. There are tons of models out there, I've got a Traeger that I picked up at Costco a few years back and it has been pretty much foolproof.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enos Cabell posted:

Set and forget is exactly what a pellet smoker will get you. There are tons of models out there, I've got a Traeger that I picked up at Costco a few years back and it has been pretty much foolproof.

thank you.
What are pellets like with fuel and cleanup?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The Weber Smokey mountain is pretty set it akd forget it even if you’re doing long cooks.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

HootTheOwl posted:

thank you.
What are pellets like with fuel and cleanup?

I pay $16 for a 40 lb bag and I get probably 35+ hours of smoking and grilling out of it. I vacuum out the ash about every third session.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I pay $16 for a 40 lb bag and I get probably 35+ hours of smoking and grilling out of it. I vacuum out the ash about every third session.

Beat me to it, this is pretty much exactly my experience too. You feed the wood pellets into a hopper, and then an auger moves them into a little combustion box as needed to maintain whatever temp you set. Depending on the outdoor temperature you can do really long 18+ hour smokes without needing to add pellets

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do the pellets matter or are they interchangeable?
Or does only the size matter?

And where does the initial heat come from to start the pellets?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

HootTheOwl posted:

Do the pellets matter or are they interchangeable?
Or does only the size matter?

And where does the initial heat come from to start the pellets?

Different opinions, but I like pit boss competitive blend pellets from Lowes. There are definitely differences in quality between brands.

For starting there is an electric igniter in the cup at the end of the auger.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Different opinions, but I like pit boss competitive blend pellets from Lowes. There are definitely differences in quality between brands.

For starting there is an electric igniter in the cup at the end of the auger.

Sorry I meant: Can I put thoss pitboss pellets in any pellet smoker? Or is each brand of smoker designed to only work with the matching proprietary pellet?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorry I meant: Can I put thoss pitboss pellets in any pellet smoker? Or is each brand of smoker designed to only work with the matching proprietary pellet?

They're literally wood pellets. Totally interchangeable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Alright, thanks everyone.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Any pellet brand can be used in any pellet smoker, pellet construction can differ from brand to brand but I've used traeger brand in my smoke hollow without issue, I prefer "cookin pellets" on Amazon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Costco has a traveling Traeger sale if you’re a member.

https://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like I'm shilling at this point, but check out the gravity smokers as well. I have a Char-Griller 980 that I love so far. There's also the Masterbuilt Gravity series.