Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm gonna shill bitcoin on HAM radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if your supa computer coin has fake pedo stories that you have to whack-a-mole regularly , maybe your coin is bad?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Honeypotted in the rear end by an anthropomorphic blockchain named "Blockchain"

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Cat Hatter posted:

What was the other one? That guy who went to South America, sexually assaulted a little girl, and then used Bitcoin to help him flee across the border?
we don't talk about brunobrazil.txt

as I recall it was the guy who sold gemstones for buttcoins

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

So the sister he spends so much time describing was 15. And he's a 23 year old virgin. Shows what type of people Bitcoin enthusiasts are that he'd include those details in a story he made up.

Still curious what the other success story was.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Yeah that was quite gross. I didn’t recall that level of detail. Or that he was supposedly 23 at the time.

At least it didn’t happen. So it is just a really gross Bitscoin fantasy?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

vortmax posted:

I believe Wafflehound is on the level, however you may mean he found the story in which case "yeah maybe"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

vortmax posted:

yeah that was a fun time, you basically had one goon who set up a bitcoin gem store as a joke, then another goon who bought from the bitcoin gem store as a joke

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

No one is checking out the hotly anticipated Gamestop NFTs that finally launched today after years in the works? WIth an absolutely impeccable market timing too.

Even Reddit seems to have a substantial portion of commentators saying that the store is full of worthless garbage.

I did find this excellent quote in the comments over on Kotaku:

Some dude on the internet posted:

It’s almost like a form of wealth redistribution from simpletons to the unscrupulous

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

evilweasel posted:

because there were trillions of it in circulation so you could multiply those fractions of a penny by a trillion

I'm going to throw out a hot take and say that it was a smart move from their position. If they hit the jackpot, they could have walked away tens of millions of dollars richer (if they could cash out... which, lol, but cryptidiots are all operating under the assumption that the completely unregulated market they're speculating on will do the noble thing and allow them to actually get the money when they cash out). But if they ate poo poo (like they did), who cares? Sure, they lost a comparatively small amount of money and burnt their stupid scam company to the ground, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't their money that went up in smoke.

I mean, it was obviously a stupid loving plan doomed to failure from the start, but purely based on the risk-reward to them, personally? Yeah, I totally get why a bunch of brainwormed cryptobros would go for it. From the perspective of someone who drank the Flavor-Aid, they'd have been stupid not to bet it all on trying to pull off the grift of a lifetime.

To be clear: this is not even remotely an endorsement of cryptocurrency. This is why it's a festering tumor eating the human race from its bowels.

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
Nah it really is dumb as gently caress to try to short any crypto because the markets are so manipulated. A 100% crash in value and you managed to hit every brief uptick on the way down? Certainly couldn't have been your own or other exchanges front-running it to wipe out your short.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gonna go out on a limb and say that the company who somehow managed to lose literally everything trying to short a crashing asset didn't play their hand very smartly

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Time_pants posted:

I'm going to throw out a hot take and say that it was a smart move from their position.

Hahaha what? No, it wasn't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

Nah it really is dumb as gently caress to try to short any crypto because the markets are so manipulated. A 100% crash in value and you managed to hit every brief uptick on the way down? Certainly couldn't have been your own or other exchanges front-running it to wipe out your short.

Yeah, every single aspect of crypto is crooked as gently caress, though the rhetoric is about the same as usual capitalist libertarian ideas of the ~free market~ being perfectly fair and so on. Which apparently fools enough people.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

I don't touch the poop so I can't be sure, but from my understanding you can (could lol) in fact hold regular USD in your account at Voyager, either after you fund it by putting money in, or after you sell stuff. That money was insured in the event of MCB's failure (but, crucially, not Voyager's).

looks like MCB put out a statement saying exactly that.

https://www.mcbankny.com/fdic-coverage-available-to-voyager-customers/

so in the event voyager are insolvent the fdic insurance is meaningless. any assets will be paid out to creditors as with any other bankruptcy.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The Guardian has a hilarious (and genuinely sad) article about a crypto rehab that's just a few miles from me.
It's quite long but well worth the time as it has some classic quotes in it. Here's just one...

quote:

They gather on Telegram to let out howls of grief and short, sharp shrieks of pain. “Eeeeeeee!” yowls a young woman. “Waahahahah,” roars a man in a deep baritone. A third person wails like a baby. These are victims of the cryptocurrency bloodbath, 3,315 of whom have assembled in a “Bear Market Screaming Therapy Group” group to vent their anguish.

Crypto rehab

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1546595734992162817

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hmm squeeze the twink til the cream comes out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

squart

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Finally a coin I can get behind.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Neito posted:

I think that was when OLEDs were bigger? Cus IIRC LCD doesn't use more/less electricty based on the color of the pixel, but OLEDs do.

Nessus posted:

Yeah a lot of that stuff seemed to be from when everything was a CRT or OLED and I guess technology actually did sort of address that one kind of.

LCD screens have a constant backlight, with a filter (the liquid crystal layer) in front of it that blocks the light (producing black pixels). The energy to light that pixel gets expended either way, whether the content is black or white.

OLED is a newer technology and is in many cell phones, this is where black backgrounds save energy because each pixel is its own light source. OLED is very uncommon for computer monitors, I think there are only two (pretty expensive) models available right now.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 12, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

https://slate.com/technology/2022/07/christianity-bitcoin-cryptocurrency-baptism.html

quote:

Melder also believes Bitcoin has “all the trappings of religion,” something a number of other commentators have argued. There is a prophet, Satoshi Nakamoto, the still-anonymous founder of Bitcoin. There is a sacred text, Nakamoto’s white paper, the first published blueprint for the cryptocurrency

quote:

There is even a self-proclaimed “Church of Bitcoin,” a small online community established by Henry Romp, a 30-year-old software developer who lives in Middlebury, Vermont. Romp infrequently holds “audio services” on Twitter during which he reads from Nakamoto’s famed 2008 white paper.

Why settle for one cult when you can combine two that taste great together.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I need a moment to compose myself

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Criss-cross posted:

LCD screens have a constant backlight, with a filter (the liquid crystal layer) in front of it that blocks the light (producing black pixels). The energy to light that pixel gets expended either way, whether the content is black or white.

OLED is a newer technology and is in many cell phones, this is where black backgrounds save energy because each pixel is its own light source. OLED is very uncommon for computer monitors, I think there are only two (pretty expensive) models available right now.

Yeah this. OLED is the newer, more advanced tech but it's only common in brand new 4k TVs and poo poo, not monitors so much. I don't know enough about it to know why, but I assume cost to the consumer makes it a tough sell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

putin is a oval office posted:

Yeah this. OLED is the newer, more advanced tech but it's only common in brand new 4k TVs and poo poo, not monitors so much. I don't know enough about it to know why, but I assume cost to the consumer makes it a tough sell.

There's a Switch model with it too! Presumably part of it is standard supply chain stuff; the factories are still switching over, especially given Covid.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Blackle claims to have saved over 8.5 MWh of electrical energy as of January 2021.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Mostly cos Windows is pretty poo poo at HDR. It's badly supported, barely works, and generally is not much point for normal deskwork to be dealing with brighter-than-paperwhite anyway. That makes the monitors a niche graphics thing. Source - I have one cos I do HDR graphics things (I know all about the maths behind it too). I mostly hate it. Occasionally you get some nice looking stuff. There is finally a free windows viewer for JXR files so you can see HDR images in all their glory, but its all clunky and a bit bad. To be honest, many programs struggle to handle 4k monitors as my aging eyes need such large fonts the UI breaks, even though if it were on an identically sized non-4k screen it would be perfectly fine with writing the same apparent size.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeah, no. If I'm a queer person in that room I definately let them do it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hahaha what? No, it wasn't.

Yeah, I thought about what I was trying to say, and I'm just being an idiot.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
making physical coin-shaped objects in honor of crypto, the currency known for not existing physically as part of its gimmick, seems really loving backwards

love it

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's like snack cakes Poochy

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, I thought about what I was trying to say, and I'm just being an idiot.

To be fair I was being glib and I do see what you were getting at, that they were already losing so much that the gamble seemed worth it. But chasing losses is never a smart move.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

It's because OLED screens burn-in pretty easily (because the individual subpixels lose brightness through aging when they're used), and computers tend to display static content (like the taskbar, or window titles) for many hours.

All my OLED phones had faintly visible burn-in after a while.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 12, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Finally a coin with inherent value!

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:thunk:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Criss-cross posted:

It's because OLED screens burn-in pretty easily (because the individual subpixels lose brightness through aging when they're used), and computers tend to display static content (like the taskbar, or window titles) for many hours.

All my OLED phones had faintly visible burn-in after a while.

That seems to be getting better. I used to do cell phone repair, and on Samsung Galaxy phones prior to the S10, I’d see burn in all the time. S10 and later it’s increasingly rare. And I’ve never seen it on an OLED iPhone.

Oddly, we did have an iPhone where we replaced the screen and the new screen looked like it had burn-in. We had copied data from the old screen to the new one, and the problem repeated if we copied data to another screen, but didn’t happen if we left it “blank.” So it looks like maybe the iPhone has some kind of image processing where it figures out what pixels are likely burning out and adjusts the display accordingly.

But it’s a big problem for old people who set their display to never turn off for some reason, and it’s just showing a home screen constantly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My last few phones up until my current Samsung A71 5G were Pixels, and my Pixel 3 XL had HORRIBLE burn in. It's one of the major (multiple) reasons I stopped buying Pixels. It's not like I always had it on, but just using it in the car was enough - the Google maps interface was permanently stuck on the screen.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had a 3A and it was awful all around, barely lasted a year. The cheap motorola I replaced it with is over 2 years old now and still gets a full day out of the battery.

Don't buy google phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I had a 3A and it was awful all around, barely lasted a year. The cheap motorola I replaced it with is over 2 years old now and still gets a full day out of the battery.

Don't buy google phones.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the pixel. You'd think if Google wants to break into this market they'd bring something to the table.