Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The easy answer is "if you're cool enough, you'll find out when you're older."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SlimGoodbody posted:

The easy answer is "if you're cool enough, you'll find out when you're older."

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I refuse to join any orgy that would have me as a member.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Think Frank Gorshen and Adam West were turned away?

Okay if I see that shot of Axl's head used in some stupid "lol movie bad" post, I'm going to lose it. Its doubly lovely after all the stuff about how badly VFX artists are treated.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

MH Knights posted:

No joke, I know some people with young kids who saw L&T and were freaking out about answering the question "What's an orgy?"

There was one Asterix book that had an answer for this which apparently involved extravagant amounts of cheese fondue.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Think Frank Gorshen and Adam West were turned away?

Okay if I see that shot of Axl's head used in some stupid "lol movie bad" post, I'm going to lose it. Its doubly lovely after all the stuff about how badly VFX artists are treated.

It's supposed to be funny, right?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gnome de plume posted:

There was one Asterix book that had an answer for this which apparently involved extravagant amounts of cheese fondue.

Well goddamn. Something I've not thought about since reading it as an 8 year old ages ago suddenly makes a lot more sense. Now I'm wondering how much other stuff from those books flew over my head back in the day...

..gently caress, just remembered the Roman scheme in Mansions of the Gods!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally saw Spider-Man: No Way Home. I thought it was pretty decent overall. Made me remember how much I liked the performances of Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe.

One of the only Marvel movies I haven't seen is New Mutants, worth tracking down?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s a perfectly serviceable horror film but it’s pretty clear the carpet was pulled out from it and/or people just lost interest in it. It’s missing any kind of real spark or passion.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

It's trash garbage doo doo.

One thing I did notice during Thor 4 was that they said "poo poo" at least 8 times. I know I'm just sensitive after my recent tenure teaching middle school, but that seemed a bit excessive for a movie ostensibly also for children.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Strontosaurus posted:

One thing I did notice during Thor 4 was that they said "poo poo" at least 8 times. I know I'm just sensitive after my recent tenure teaching middle school, but that seemed a bit excessive for a movie ostensibly also for children.

Is it? Are themes of dying on your own terms really kids stuff?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in america yes

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Strontosaurus posted:

live with fruit posted:

Is it? Are themes of dying on your own terms really kids stuff?

Uh, yeah. Absolutely. It becomes more and more relevant every day.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Teaching kids to accept death is pretty bleak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

Uh, yeah. Absolutely. It becomes more and more relevant every day.

To clear, it loving shouldn’t but this is the life this country is insisting on everyone so yeah might as well get them up to steep sooner than later.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

It’s a perfectly serviceable horror film but it’s pretty clear the carpet was pulled out from it and/or people just lost interest in it. It’s missing any kind of real spark or passion.

It did seem like it was never going to come out at one point and then like it was just shoved out to get it out of the way. It's one of the reasons I haven't bothered with it but I'm amiable to a perfectly serviceable horror film. Thanks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bessantj posted:

It did seem like it was never going to come out at one point and then like it was just shoved out to get it out of the way. It's one of the reasons I haven't bothered with it but I'm amiable to a perfectly serviceable horror film. Thanks.

Yeah it’s like it felt clear to me like there were a bunch of elements of the film that were supposed to link to other films or lead to something else and since the franchise was dead in the water they just cut that stuff but never really rewrote things. So the film just feels like it’s missing stuff.

The most obvious example of that is that they tease a big villain behind the whole movie and then he just never shows up. But they still tease him because why bother rewriting it? Movie is dead anyway.

It’s a good cast in a basic haunted house plot with some freaky monsters. But everyone’s definitely just clocking in and out for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Making Illyana really racist against Dani Moonstar was a loving choice

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Teenage edgelord bully didn’t seem too far off to me. The problem is probably that they did it with a cult popular character and a cult popular actor.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Liked Thor love and thunder well enough, especially the final act but I hated the second post credits scene. For a film that deals with accepting death and the inherent unknowability of passing beyond the threshold and dealing with mortality. Just seeing characters standing around in heaven felt weird, like it completely punctured the solemnity of the ending and felt almost in bad taste. It also felt weird considering the story was critical of the privilege of the God's, but then Jane goes to Valhalla due to her Godhood and it's seen as cool and good, where do all the other people who die of diseases go? It kind of poisons the metaphor a bit. I guess it ties into Moon Knight with there being multiple afterlifes in the MCU, but I thought showing heaven/valhalla was not the right choice for this film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Valhalla isn’t only for gods.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Karloff posted:

Liked Thor love and thunder well enough, especially the final act but I hated the second post credits scene. For a film that deals with accepting death and the inherent unknowability of passing beyond the threshold and dealing with mortality. Just seeing characters standing around in heaven felt weird, like it completely punctured the solemnity of the ending and felt almost in bad taste. It also felt weird considering the story was critical of the privilege of the God's, but then Jane goes to Valhalla due to her Godhood and it's seen as cool and good, where do all the other people who die of diseases go? It kind of poisons the metaphor a bit. I guess it ties into Moon Knight with there being multiple afterlifes in the MCU, but I thought showing heaven/valhalla was not the right choice for this film.

According to Snorri, those who die in battle are taken to Valhalla, while those who die of sickness or old age find themselves in Hel, the underworld, after their departure from the land of the living.

https://norse-mythology.org/cosmology/valhalla/#:~:text=According%20to%20Snorri%2C%20those%20who,the%20land%20of%20the%20living.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

It doesn't even look cool, and yes I know that Frank Miller drew that scene, but it was dumb then too. Plus it shows that Miller has no idea what he's doing because pearl necklaces if broken don't let the pearls go everywhere, they are knots or something like that between each pearl so if it breaks they don't go all over the place.

I'm not a fan of BvS but I do think the pearl's breaking is pretty effective as a visual metaphor both in that film and in Dark Knight Returns and other Bat stuff. It's just a a visual signifier to suggest how a single violent act can obliterate something precious irreparably, that Bruce's world is shattered and falls to pieces etc and it conjures images of falling blood and bone in a way more tasteful than seeing blood, brain and skull fragments falling to the floor. To that end the metaphor is more important than the material reality of actual pearls. Especially within the realm of Batman who is always quite a leap away from reality anyway, even in the most grounded versions.

Joe Fisto posted:

According to Snorri, those who die in battle are taken to Valhalla, while those who die of sickness or old age find themselves in Hel, the underworld, after their departure from the land of the living.

https://norse-mythology.org/cosmology/valhalla/#:~:text=According%20to%20Snorri%2C%20those%20who,the%20land%20of%20the%20living.

Well, that's hosed up. And all the more reason why they shouldn't have confirmed the existence of Valhalla

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m guessing we got the post-credits scene because in the comics recently, Jane also dies but is now a Valkyrie. Which I have to assume is giving Marvel a way to bring her back if Natalie Portman decides she wants to be in more films.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
We've seen three afterlifes and they mentioned in Moon Knight that there are tons. Stands to reason that everyone in the MCU universe goes to some sort of afterlife.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

live with fruit posted:

We've seen three afterlifes and they mentioned in Moon Knight that there are tons. Stands to reason that everyone in the MCU universe goes to some sort of afterlife.

Unless you were one of the 50% of the universe wiped out by Thanos' use of the Infinity Stones.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

Unless you were one of the 50% of the universe wiped out by Thanos' use of the Infinity Stones.

I dunno, an afterlife that suddenly poofs into appearance to handle a sudden influx of trillions of people that all died to the same thing, that then poofs away again five years later as they all resurrect is kinda fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't die, they were erased.

Problem solved, forever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5AuCTdBJns

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay wow. Just got back from Love and Thunder, and speaking and someone who always thought Ragnarok was kinda overrated...I think L&T blows it completely out of the water. This might actually be one of my favorite MCU films ever. It would outright be, if not for the fact that I think they whiffed the ending a little bit? Which is weird 'cuz everyone's like "the last act is so satisfying" so I guess I'm just the oddball here.

The thing is that...look. I make a lot of fun of Jason Aaron nowadays. His recent output has been hmmm uhhhh weell yyyeah somewhat little bit questionable. But his handling of the Jane Foster the Mighty Thor storyline? Amazing. Especially the epic finale of it all, which was such a well-crafted resolution to everything.

And the way that the movie does it just...really doesn't hit those notes for me. What's so great about the comics finale for Jane-Thor is how they make it clear that the braver choice isn't to throw your own life away in some heroic sacrifice; the more courageous choice is to live. To fight for yourself. Going through the boring mundane cancer treatment takes more strength and bravery than to fly off into reckless battle every chance you get just because your days might be numbered. Even when Jane is ultimately forced to be that reckless hero and to make that typical heroic sacrifice, she's also given the second chance to continue fighting the harder battle of just beating the cancer day by day, step by painful step.

And the movie...sort of?...has a bit of that, but everything else about it is just kinda aping the standard heroic last stand. The tragedy that Jane is robbed of the chance to fight the true battle of her life because she's forced to come to the rescue really doesn't come through; instead, it's mostly just bad that Jane has to be Thor that last time because Man-Thor will be sad when she dies.
And it's not terrible, but it's not...the other thing. Seriously, enough romanticizing the heroic self-sacrifice. Romanticize the heroic act of living.

All that said though, Thor and Jane were two of my favs back in the day, all the way through the original film and The Dark World when everyone was being wrong about them not having chemistry :v:, so a ton of this film was a great treat for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of the best parts is just so INTO being Thor Jane is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I dunno, an afterlife that suddenly poofs into appearance to handle a sudden influx of trillions of people that all died to the same thing, that then poofs away again five years later as they all resurrect is kinda fun.

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't die, they were erased.

Problem solved, forever.

Yeah the way it seems to have happened is that the blipped people didn't experience any passage of time so that sidesteps the whole issue of characters who otherwise may have gone to an afterlife and could tell tales of it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

When it happened in the comics they all got sent to the soul stone for storage, right?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thor spoilers Speaking of the soul stone, didn't it seem like the place Eternity was hanging out in was the same place everyone went to retrieve the soul stone?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

Thor spoilers Speaking of the soul stone, didn't it seem like the place Eternity was hanging out in was the same place everyone went to retrieve the soul stone?

I thought the exact same thing.

It might just be really mystical cosmic places are very wet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Carnage in Venom 2

gently caress this guy!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

I thought the exact same thing.

It might just be really mystical cosmic places are very wet.

Ditko may have designed Eternity but the shallow water everywhere feels very Liefield.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

Ditko may have designed Eternity but the shallow water everywhere feels very Liefield.

Don't have to draw feet when everyone's standing ankle deep in water.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I enjoyed L&T the longer it went on. The start was wacky overload but when the story got more serious it got good.

I was genuinely touched by the end hospital scene where Thor calls Mjolnir "that dammed hammer" after spending the movie pinning for it.

I am going thru chemo and at one point my wife asked me if the movie was striking too close to home.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Darth Brooks posted:

I enjoyed L&T the longer it went on. The start was wacky overload but when the story got more serious it got good.

I was genuinely touched by the end hospital scene where Thor calls Mjolnir "that dammed hammer" after spending the movie pinning for it.

I am going thru chemo and at one point my wife asked me if the movie was striking too close to home.

Gonna speak for everyone reading this thread, and wish you all the best with your treatment. And if along the way you too end up looking like a buff Natalie Portman then post pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

Best of luck, friend. I'm glad you have a support system there for you.