Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hot take: I think Roger's 70's look is very cool and he pulls it off with ease. (Ted...not so much.)

This episode is doing a lot of place setting to give us a sense of what S-C looks like nearly a year after the buy-out and where everybody is now in their personal lives, but it always felt a little slight to me. Not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Harrow posted:

On the one hand, Ken's story here is pretty tragic. He has an opportunity to get out, to do something creatively fulfilling, to spend more time being himself with his family, and he passes it up, at least partially out of spite

On the other, it's really funny watching Roger and Pete realize how owned they are

Yes. Ken's choice burned me because even though it's clearly terrible, I sadly completely get why he did it. Like, Ken: don't. You're a gifted writer, with a perspective. Live your goddamn dreams, make something real. You could write some Gatsby-esque novel about the ad world, it'd be amazing. You could write a sci-fi epic, whatever you'd like.

But no, giving all that up for a job that kind of sucks to get petty revenge on some assholes who screwed you over is just as good. I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ken's writing would struggle to get published in the average SciFi rag of the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kalel posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VrKro8djw

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Ken's writing would struggle to get published in the average SciFi rag of the time.

Ken's writing has already been published multiple times by SciFi rags of the time. It's explicitly stated in the show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In Ken's defense: He went from account man at a mid-major ad firm to what appears to be a C-suite job at one of the largest companies in the world. His financial adviser probably told him he'd have to buy two apartment buildings.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ken only has to dick around being a Terrible Client until he gets bored with it and he can afford to bail at any time he feels like it.

It sounds pretty sweet to me.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Diana is interesting to me, I could see why she might seem like the weakest of Don's love interests to some people but on a second watch I find her a lot more compelling than say, Sylvia or Suzanne. She's just kind of this normal, incredibly working class person on the outset, not really Don's type at all outside of being an independent brunette I guess. I don't quite remember where it goes from here, isn't she kind of a loner who's also disconnected from her family due to trauma/regret and eventually just vanishes? I guess there's some comparisons you could draw to Don himself there.

Mover posted:

man, Is That All There Is is such a fantastic song

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out where the hell I'd heard it before until I looked it up on Wikipedia and realized it was in the background of an old Sex and the City episode. As Pete might say, "Wow, a thing like that!" :allears:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

plus theres nothing precluding him from writing on the side like he used to. as a client at dinners he would set the tone and is free to decline alcohol to stay sharp if he wants to get home clear headed enough adn early enough to be a family man. his position is strictly improved and the show reflects this for the most part, hes a bit stressed and testy at times but hes otherwise pretty jovial and treats people more like friends and less like business

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Diana is interesting to me, I could see why she might seem like the weakest of Don's love interests to some people but on a second watch I find her a lot more compelling than say, Sylvia or Suzanne. She's just kind of this normal, incredibly working class person on the outset, not really Don's type at all outside of being an independent brunette I guess. I don't quite remember where it goes from here, isn't she kind of a loner who's also disconnected from her family due to trauma/regret and eventually just vanishes? I guess there's some comparisons you could draw to Don himself there.

i think the vitriol for diana is pretty overblown, shes a no nonsense woman dealing with a lot of interiority that we barely get access to. don realizing that this woman don'd not just her family but him too is the thing that pushes him over the edge and makes him keep driving west rather than return to NYC

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xealot posted:

Ken's writing has already been published multiple times by SciFi rags of the time. It's explicitly stated in the show.

Yeah, and they were successful enough that a publisher was interested in putting them together as collection. He only stopped because Roger got wind of Ken still writing, and unlike back in the Sterling Cooper days felt that his writing was a distraction from his work work rather than a sign of motivation and discipline, and told him to pick either his job or his writing.

What I'm quite interested in seeing is how Ken's obvious desire to throw in creative ideas is going to go now that he is a Client. He may be a good writer, but it seemed like he didn't have any talent for copywriting, his ideas in pitches were almost always horrible... but now he's going to have the power to insist that actually his idea IS good and he wants them to do it. I don't think he'd do it to Don, who he clearly respects, but maybe he would, and he would certainly probably have no issue with pushing his ideas on other creatives, perhaps even Peggy since I think their brief dalliance as a working team that started with Topaz basically fell apart after she quit to go to CGC.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Ken's making this bad choice always makes me sad when I think about it. :(
Why couldn't he just write more stories about how unfulfilled Pete is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KellHound posted:

Ken's making this bad choice always makes me sad when I think about it. :(
Why couldn't he just write more stories about how unfulfilled Pete is?

Johnny Carson: We've got a great guest tonight, Mr. Ken Cosgrove, whose new book "The Slimy Little Rat Man Who Blew It in California" has been dominating the bestseller lists, finally toppling the record held by his prior book,"The Little Treacherous Jerk Whose Wife Was Right to Leave Him".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat what a good episode.

And it isn't even my favorite of Part 2.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just realised this show probably kills as many of its featured characters as any other prestige show from the period (BB, Wire, Sopranos).

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Torquemada posted:

I just realised this show probably kills as many of its featured characters as any other prestige show from the period (BB, Wire, Sopranos).

To date:

- Adam Whitman
- The Real Don Draper
- Pete's Dad
- Grandpa Gene
- Anna Draper
- Lane Pryce
- Roger's Mother
- Frank Gleason
- Pete's Mom
- Bert Cooper
- Rachel Meneken

Did I miss any? Some of those are pretty minor characters, relatively speaking.

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

To date:

- Adam Whitman
- The Real Don Draper
- Pete's Dad
- Grandpa Gene
- Anna Draper
- Lane Pryce
- Roger's Mother
- Frank Gleason
- Pete's Mom
- Bert Cooper
- Rachel Meneken

Did I miss any? Some of those are pretty minor characters, relatively speaking.

Mrs Blankenship! She was an astronaut, don't you know...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How could I forget one of the only on-screen deaths/the show's foray into Weekend at Bernie's territory

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Guy will never golf again so he might as well be dead.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ida Blankenship, the Queen of Perversions

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mover posted:

Ida Blankenship, the Queen of Perversions

I died way too many times to this boss in dark souls

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kalel posted:

I died way too many times to this boss in dark souls

Roger was the original "LetMeSoloHer" but it meant something different with him

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Who is Diana? Who does she remind him of? Rachel? Abigail? Somebody else? Just some dim concept of THE WOMAN who he thinks will finally bring him happiness in the immediate aftermath of realizing THE BUSINESS won't until he fails with THE WOMAN and goes back to pursuing THE BUSINESS again?

Diana is... Elizabeth Reaser! She's spent some time in theatre, on TV, and in movies, but probably her most recognized role is Esme Cullen, mother of Robert Pattinson's Edward Cullen in Twilight. Other notable roles include the mom in the good Ouija film, Matthew McConaughey's love interest in True Detective season 1, and Carla Gugino's oldest daughter in The Haunting of Hill House. She also had a bit part in The Sopranos!

Oh, and she is also the stepdaughter of the late billionaire William Davidson.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
She reminds me a lot of Rachel Griffiths (of Six Feet Under fame); in fact that's actually who I thought it was the first time I saw her in the show :sweatdrop:

Edit:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Guy will never golf again so he might as well be dead.

If we're going for "not confirmed but basically" we might as well throw poor Midge into the pile here (I know we're past her last episode but I don't want to confirm to Jerusalem that she's donezo. Also Sal I guess. Still a little sad we get no follow-ups on that guy)

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 12, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JethroMcB posted:

How could I forget one of the only on-screen deaths/the show's foray into Weekend at Bernie's territory

The occasional comedy moments are really what made this show sparkle for me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also Sal I guess. Still a little sad we get no follow-ups on that guy)

Why would we think the latter? We see nothing further about them in the show either way and no indication they're going to die. Being gay and going cruising isn't, like, a death sentence. Especially since this is before the 80s. Hopefully dude's living his best life in San Francisco.

Unless you mean right now in 2022 in which case, yes, pretty much every adult character will be dead one way or another. Wonder what Sally's up to.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 12, 2022

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

feedmegin posted:

Why would we think the latter? We see nothing further about them in the show either way and no indication they're going to die. Being gay and going cruising isn't, like, a death sentence. Especially since this is before the 80s. Hopefully dude's living his best life in San Francisco.

Unless you mean right now in 2022 in which case, yes, pretty much every adult character will be dead one way or another. Wonder what Sally's up to.

Oh yikes, sorry, wasn't thinking of the optics on that one; I brought him up in spoilers less because I genuinely assumed the worst for his fate and more because I didn't want to confirm for anyone watching for the first time that he's out of the show forever lol. I hope things worked out for him!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Wonder what Sally's up to.

Probably posting on facebook about QAnon or some other boomer bullshit

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

feedmegin posted:

I hope that, too. It is really sad he never shows up or is even mentioned again, even in passing. My hope was that he found his way out to Los Angeles, got into the film world. If Danny could do it, someone like Sal with actual skills deserves even more. And Classical Hollywood had lots of stories of "open secret" gay people living with relative ease within particular industry bubbles.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

feedmegin posted:

Peggy and Pete would be in their early/mid 80s right now. Megan even younger. You could hypothetically say a Don or Betty would be alive when the show was airing, probably not now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Everybody running around in the background of that client meeting is just a loving incredible moment :allears:

Speaking of deaths, I love Roger's extremely casual,"I think he might have had him murdered? :shrug:" musings on Cooper and the doctor who hosed up his surgery.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Peggy and Pete would be in their early/mid 80s right now. Megan even younger. You could hypothetically say a Don or Betty would be alive when the show was airing, probably not now.

This is maybe apocryphal, but I'd heard that one of Matt Weiner's ideas for how to end the show (that he didn't do, obviously) involved a 90-something Don still alive in the 2010's. Which seriously stretches any suspension of disbelief, because no way is the chain-smoking alcoholic Don Draper living another ~40 years after the last episode. A lot of people dislike Betty's ending, but honestly it'd feel cheap if *nobody* got lung cancer on this show. The consequences of smoking were practically a Chekov's gun after a while; they had to do something with it, have it hurt someone.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Xealot posted:

This is maybe apocryphal, but I'd heard that one of Matt Weiner's ideas for how to end the show (that he didn't do, obviously) involved a 90-something Don still alive in the 2010's. Which seriously stretches any suspension of disbelief, because no way is the chain-smoking alcoholic Don Draper living another ~40 years after the last episode. A lot of people dislike Betty's ending, but honestly it'd feel cheap if *nobody* got lung cancer on this show. The consequences of smoking were practically a Chekov's gun after a while; they had to do something with it, have it hurt someone.

it's not even like it's entirely out of the blue. She has a scare with a benign tumor in season 5

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Xealot posted:

I hope that, too. It is really sad he never shows up or is even mentioned again, even in passing. My hope was that he found his way out to Los Angeles, got into the film world. If Danny could do it, someone like Sal with actual skills deserves even more. And Classical Hollywood had lots of stories of "open secret" gay people living with relative ease within particular industry bubbles.

Even if he'd have stuck around in NYC, he'd have done okay. Just maybe not in the advertising world.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GoutPatrol posted:

The joke someone wrote where Don is on his death bed and, with his dying breath, whispers "fourthmeal", will never stop being funny to me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think about "FOURTHMEAL" way more than I should

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The joke someone wrote where Don is on his death bed and, with his dying breath, whispers "fourthmeal", will never stop being funny to me.

:lol: this just reminded me of something that came up recently in my YouTube recommended (not actually a recent vid but I'd never seen it before, spoilers obviously):

https://youtu.be/KOzS9Azg0Ag

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Are we past the point in the series where we can share the crazy Youtube theories where some characters are Communist spies? I remember it being bugfuck crazy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:lol: this just reminded me of something that came up recently in my YouTube recommended (not actually a recent vid but I'd never seen it before, spoilers obviously):

https://youtu.be/KOzS9Azg0Ag

______________lmfao_____________

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

aBagorn posted:

Probably posting on facebook about QAnon or some other boomer bullshit

considering the wealth she grew up with, and 100% inherits, she’s either in some gauche McMansion or living in a gated community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bobby is probably a failson boomer with a wife doubling as his nanny, and Gene I assume is the miserable youngest child who actually had to work hard