Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Just hit an invisible object while driving and I just lost my character :negative:

Wow! I must admit, that's never happened to me before in PZ. Were you driving at speed too close to the corner of a building, perhaps? That's the only thing I can think of...like, maybe that type of car's hitbox extends around the car itself a little bit, so it snagged the wall/object? Very weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

buglord posted:

Yeah AA is a cool dude. 99% of what he does are comedy gimmick runs (on any game, really) but I did learn a handful of things I didn’t know about survival. He is also not what I’d consider annoying or over the top, which is hard to find on the gaming side of YT.

Between him and Let's Game It Out there's almost no need for other management game type channels

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Wow! I must admit, that's never happened to me before in PZ. Were you driving at speed too close to the corner of a building, perhaps? That's the only thing I can think of...like, maybe that type of car's hitbox extends around the car itself a little bit, so it snagged the wall/object? Very weird

I made a turn on a corner and walked on a bit of grass with no trees around and then the car just hit something but there was nothing there. It was near my base, genco IIRC in Muldraugh

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
A bit late to the PZ server discussion but I've got a dedicated server setup that is high population (zombie respawns every 24 hours) with loot respawns every 3 days, if anyone is interested. It's not uncommon to encounter between 50-200 zombies crossing West Point, for example. I am running Skill Recovery Journal and some other mods (mainly extra weapons and vehicles).

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Big Scary Owl posted:

If I dismantle/break a door/house window, will it still trigger an alarm if the house has one?

Edit: I just fell over from the 3rd floor of my base cause I jump slightly to the side of the sheet rope but I'm pretty sure that I WAS ON IT. There should be a context action or the text should change to "climb down rope" when you are actually going to activate it. Now I got a broken leg :smith:

It will, yes. In vanilla if a door is alarmed the only way to get around it is to use a key.

re: Stomp vs. Weapon: Unless you're in a rush I'd always recommend stomping to finish zombies off until you have high Maintenance. Stomping improves your Maintenance skill for free, basically, which decreases how often you roll to lose durability on poo poo you actually care about.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Spears are loving siiiiiiiiiiiiick

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

I made a turn on a corner and walked on a bit of grass with no trees around and then the car just hit something but there was nothing there. It was near my base, genco IIRC in Muldraugh

How far into the game are you? Not that far? If you were more months in it could be a tiny sapling - those are easier to miss.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

tildes posted:

How far into the game are you? Not that far? If you were more months in it could be a tiny sapling - those are easier to miss.

In that save I was 1 month and a few days into it. I started a new save however.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

In that save I was 1 month and a few days into it. I started a new save however.

You lose the single player world entirely when you die, don't you? I think that's how it used to work. If you want to pick up where you left off in the same world as what you were in before (with a fresh character though, obviously) you could always host a private MP server whenever you play, since I think that used to be the only way to keep the world you were playing in, between solo characters. That's what I did ages back anyway, while I was still figuring things out.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
To continue the AmbiguousAmphibian zomboid chat from earlier: if you haven't watched it yet, check out his zero to hero challenge.

The amount of zombies he encounters is absolutely insane and it's amazing that he pulls off some of the escapes that he does.

I would have died right out of the gate on his challenge. He starts off in a burning building; cold, wet, sick, and with a piece of glass lodged in his crotch.

Edit: spoilered just in case people don't want to know how it starts.

Draven fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 13, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

You lose the single player world entirely when you die, don't you? I think that's how it used to work. If you want to pick up where you left off in the same world as what you were in before (with a fresh character though, obviously) you could always host a private MP server whenever you play, since I think that used to be the only way to keep the world you were playing in, between solo characters. That's what I did ages back anyway, while I was still figuring things out.

You can create a new character in the same world from either the death screen or the load game screen, so if you’re careful with your possessions you won’t lose many items, only all your skill gains (unless you use a mod). You can simply take your new character to your old character’s base, loot their body (and/or kill them if they became a zombie) and carry on.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

kedo posted:

You can create a new character in the same world from either the death screen or the load game screen, so if you’re careful with your possessions you won’t lose many items, only all your skill gains (unless you use a mod). You can simply take your new character to your old character’s base, loot their body (and/or kill them if they became a zombie) and carry on.

Ah cool, well that's good to hear. Certainly sounds easier than my semi-convoluted way of achieving this, years ago! I should really get back into PZ, one of these days

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Plenty of new servers starting up for it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeeeaaah, I'm getting real tempted thinking about it, now...especially since a couple of friends might be interested...we're in Australia though, so I think we'd be on our own in the server department. Just wondering though - are there any mods that make fridges indestructible? (or anything that should really be indestructible against punches and scratches, like a stack of metal containers maybe)
Or possibly a mod that lets you eventually make some mortar and brick-up doorways so they can't be smashed through? Nothing cheesy that can be exploited too much (although I guess that's hard, really. I don't plan to, anyway) that could help make a tiny two storey safehouse slightly less prone to having zombies just walk in.

All I've found is this mod which adds masonry, but it looks like it's just 'sturdy' rather than 'impervious'. Could be good for later in the game still, but I'm kinda after something that'll help create a tiny 99% safe space, as a friend and I ease our new-to-survival third player into the game.
I remember that you could get around it by using a sledgehammer to destroy the staircase in a building and then use ropes to climb upstairs, but eh I dunno, sledges are a pain to find IIRC and I like having the option of some risk, like zombies eventually getting through a heavily barricaded+blocked window

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

project zomboid is one of those games that I return to annually, marveling at all of the changes, messing around with some killer new mods, and taking like a month or longer to actually get bored of it. Insane value purchase.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeeeaaah, I'm getting real tempted thinking about it, now...especially since a couple of friends might be interested...we're in Australia though, so I think we'd be on our own in the server department.

imo the game is great with just a small group of friends and a goal. A simple one is to get to Louisville. A more advanced goal is to turn the strip club in Louisville into a functioning base that you can winter in. A god-tier goal is to install True Actions: Dancing and collect every dance magazine and special collectible dance card, becoming a true lord of the dance.

Major Isoor posted:

Just wondering though - are there any mods that make fridges indestructible? (or anything that should really be indestructible against punches and scratches, like a stack of metal containers maybe)

I don't know if there's a mod for that. There probably is but :shrug:

Without mods, you can create an indestructible barricade by putting short fences on either side of any kind of path-blocking furniture. This can be fridges, but if you're using carpentry anyway then the easiest thing to do is to make a row of crates and then put fences on both sides of the crates. Zombies will try to climb the fence rather than destroy it, but won't be able to because the crate and fence on the other side blocks them, so they just bug out.

quote:

Or possibly a mod that lets you eventually make some mortar and brick-up doorways so they can't be smashed through? Nothing cheesy that can be exploited too much (although I guess that's hard, really. I don't plan to, anyway) that could help make a tiny two storey safehouse slightly less prone to having zombies just walk in.

All I've found is this mod which adds masonry, but it looks like it's just 'sturdy' rather than 'impervious'. Could be good for later in the game still, but I'm kinda after something that'll help create a tiny 99% safe space, as a friend and I ease our new-to-survival third player into the game.
I remember that you could get around it by using a sledgehammer to destroy the staircase in a building and then use ropes to climb upstairs, but eh I dunno, sledges are a pain to find IIRC and I like having the option of some risk, like zombies eventually getting through a heavily barricaded+blocked window

Some shops have apartments above them, accessible from a single outside doorway leading to interior stairs. With this kind of base you can just block the door with a car. Zombies won't be able to get in. You can hang sheet ropes from the windows to get in/out

For any other kind of 2 story, just destroy the stairs with a sledgehammer, but like you say, sledgehammers aren't super common. If you just want a plain old house and don't want to or can't destroy the stairs, you can always use barricades to add a lot of extra health to windows and doors. You can barricade the inside and outside to create a nigh-impenetrable wall of wood and/or metal. Even just 1 plank adds a pretty substantial amount of work for a zombie to get through, but you can actually add 4 to each side.

You can create legit walls with drywall and paint to make them look completely flush with other walls, but zombies can always destroy player-made walls no matter how authentic they look; it's just part of how the pathing system works. But with only a little effort you can add a lot of deterrence to potential points of ingress.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The car thing doesn't work all the time anymore, they can crawl under them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Does the TV wall still work? Apparently zombies just wouldn't acknowledge them so you could just create a wall of entertainment systems and no zombie could cross it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

imo the game is great with just a small group of friends and a goal. A simple one is to get to Louisville. A more advanced goal is to turn the strip club in Louisville into a functioning base that you can winter in. A god-tier goal is to install True Actions: Dancing and collect every dance magazine and special collectible dance card, becoming a true lord of the dance.

Thanks I just installed this on my server.

Broke: Becoming lord of the zombies
Woke: Becoming lord of the DANCE

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It’s not difficult to update PZ settings on the fly. You can change the hit points of player made constructions in the Custom scenario. You could start off weak and make it stronger as the game goes on, or vice versa.

There’s even a mod to update game settings in single player in-game.

I personally decided that if I accept the sledgehammer to stairs trick, then I should just disable zombie damage to player fortifications, but I have to build “real.”

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Major Isoor posted:

Yeeeaaah, I'm getting real tempted thinking about it, now...especially since a couple of friends might be interested...we're in Australia though, so I think we'd be on our own in the server department. Just wondering though - are there any mods that make fridges indestructible? (or anything that should really be indestructible against punches and scratches, like a stack of metal containers maybe)

I think that you can metalwork invincible fences eventually very late game?

You can also, iirc, do the box wall trick to make a wall zombies can't break. This is a nurse video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OfSbypnPY
That is super easy to do early on.

Also you should definitely do a server if you've got friends who are interested! Best way to play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Does the TV wall still work? Apparently zombies just wouldn't acknowledge them so you could just create a wall of entertainment systems and no zombie could cross it.

That no longer works but was hilarious when it did

The fence trick is easier but way less amusing than a shield wall of televisions

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dogstile posted:

The car thing doesn't work all the time anymore, they can crawl under them.

I remember when they added zombies crawling under cars to get through car walls, but: zombies can't attack doorways or walls while under a car. I'm fairly certain that's still the case, anyway. So you can't use cars to enclose a perimeter, but you can prevent zombies from attacking specific windows and doors

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Do the zombies take fall damage? If I make them go up stairs and destroy the structure they're on with a sledgehammer, will they die?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Pretty sure they do, yes, and they are suuuuuuper dumb about marching off a cliff

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah if you just put a hole at the top of some stairs zombies will fall right in lol

A single story isn't enough to do much damage but there are some pretty tall buildings in game, or you can build a bunch of stairs to a floating fortress of your own design

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Has anyone played Kenshi? I started watching AmbiguousAmphibian's Torso run and it seems interesting, albeit a bit confusing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

swordfish duelist posted:

Has anyone played Kenshi? I started watching AmbiguousAmphibian's Torso run and it seems interesting, albeit a bit confusing.

There are people here who love kenshi, I was also allured to the game by Robbaz' vids years ago and really enjoyed AA's videos on it too, but I found out that I am not one of those people. It's too open ended for me to really enjoy and has so many insane mechanics like repeatedly getting your rear end beat and left for dead so you build up your health meter through rear end beatings. I think I enjoyed watching people play it because they were able to make stories out of it but I actually regret buying the game because it's just not something I ever see myself trying to play again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's one of those games where there is a slow ramp at the start, a frantic one in the middle as you start to venture into new areas and get eaten by spiders, and then another slow ramp at the end. You start incredibly weak and then end up incredibly strong, so the real game is around the middle. I personally like it but it's something that isn't for everyone, especially since building a town is still pretty janky. The fights can be fun though and the world building is pretty neat even if it requires you to sus it out a bit.

If you play it I recommend installing some skill training mods, there are several "weight set" mods on the market that allow you to train people up from zero skill to moderate so that they can actually land hits to build up their fighting skill without the tedious work of getting their rear end beat and having to recollect supplies over and over.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

There's a fairly long and somewhat intermittently active Kenshi thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
And this is why I love this thread. Thank you for the information guys.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Kenshi is phenomenal, a genuinely unique and great game experience. A lot of games present themselves as "Losing is Fun" but really only Kenshi treats that motto as a serious design goal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I really love how getting Kenshi's lore is like doing archaeology. Scraps here and there in old ruins. Bits and pieces from companion conversation and npc dialogue. That dialogue changing depending on the race of the talker because some of it is racial secrets

The game is jank incarnate but it's great

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i recently just put like 40 hours into kenshi again after getting the urge to come back, i still think one of my favorite things is that doing a completely solo wanderer playthrough is just as viable as a large scale group city building playthrough.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Flesh Forge posted:

Kenshi is phenomenal, a genuinely unique and great game experience. A lot of games present themselves as "Losing is Fun" but really only Kenshi treats that motto as a serious design goal.

The one thing that draws this back for me is that it's so easy to get a total kill if you fight the wrong animals, and you have to kind of know where that line lands. At the start of the game there's a lot of quickloads because oh turns out that thing WAS carnivorous.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

The one thing that draws this back for me is that it's so easy to get a total kill if you fight the wrong animals, and you have to kind of know where that line lands. At the start of the game there's a lot of quickloads because oh turns out that thing WAS carnivorous. going to the wrong place will get your arms and legs eaten by cannibals.

Fixed for my experience.

I've got to pick up Kenshi again. I tend to get into the min/max mindset, which is totally the wrong way for your first playthrough in Kenshi. You have to embrace the suck that is your twisted life and just keep playing until it doesn't suck so much.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
When you play kenshi do you just go nuts failing to do whatever it is you want to do or should you run around getting the poo poo beaten out of you or what, like I have it but I couldn't really figure out how to get started at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You have to really enjoy losing/messing up/getting the poo poo beaten out of you to enjoy Kenshi. You kinda have to buy into how obtuse and strange it is, and then its an experience like no other.

But if you like win conditions or making progress or are frustrated by unfair losses and just constant bad things happening then its a nightmare of a game.

I'm a "win" gamer, I generally like to play a game and have a set thing to do or challenge to beat and I hated Kenshi. Then I watched some of AAs challenge runs and started playing it as a roleplaying game and making up stories for my characters and it's an absolute blast navigating that strange harsh desert.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's not about any of that, it's just not even clear what my options are or if I chose something I wanted to do how I'd do it. You start out with no money or stats, is there something you're supposed to do to get money, or to get stats? Normally in open ended games there's like... a tutorial? Or characters who you talk to to learn about the world and how to interact with it. Kenshi doesn't really have any of that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The way I played it was to hang out in some city at the start and wait until a battle breaks outside the gates. Then run in, loot everything you can, maybe grab some unconscious guys and try to turn them in for a bounty at the guard outpost or sell them into slavery. Random battles and city raids happen quite frequently, so you can slowly build up cash this way. After a while you will be able to afford a house in the ciy, and then you'll open up the whole crfting/research part of the game. Then next milestone would be finding a place to build an outpost once you have enough income to pay taxes and enough dudes to defend it. And then you're pretty much playing a very janky city builder.

Or for an easy time you could stealth crawl across the desert until you become so good at it that you can walk into the most guarded guild vault and steal a haul of AI cores and never worry about money again. Some lockpich training might also be required.

Or the classic route of just starting fights with everyone, getting beat up and sold into slavery, breaking out and repeating the process until you become undefeatable punch god.

Or you could recruit guys to do all those simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

30.5 Days posted:

It's not about any of that, it's just not even clear what my options are or if I chose something I wanted to do how I'd do it. You start out with no money or stats, is there something you're supposed to do to get money, or to get stats? Normally in open ended games there's like... a tutorial? Or characters who you talk to to learn about the world and how to interact with it. Kenshi doesn't really have any of that.

The slave start is the tutorial.