Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

weird how the "anti-tankie" thread, which was always a cesspit and never really had any reason to be in pyf, keeps churning out weird pedos months after its long-overdue closure

the little black book of communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

british empiricist computer: *sputter spizzzz fizzzz kabooooooom*

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1543054370115305474

I hate poo poo like this because he does. He's very explicit about it. http://www.news.cn/english/2021-12/04/c_1310351231.htm here you go, read at your heart's content

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

“some observers say,” eh?

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/muslim-holiday-07112022192541.html posted:

Chinese use Muslim holiday for propaganda purposes, celebrating with Uyghurs

Work teams of local cadres spend the day with families to monitor them.

Authorities in Xinjiang sent local cadres to celebrate an Islamic holiday with Uyghurs in China’s far-western region amid ongoing repression of the predominantly Muslim minority group, in what Uyghur rights leaders said was a further effort to cover up the real situation there.

Known as the Feast of Sacrifice, Eid al-Adha (Qurban Eid) is a major Islamic holiday that marks the end of the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia. This year, the holiday began at sundown on July 8 and ended in the evening of July 9.

China’s state media reported on huiju work teams of local cadres who “visited” Uyghurs bearing gifts of food and who helped them work in their fields in celebration of the holiday.

State media also released a video of Uyghurs dancing in what some observers said were staged performances.

A report on Tengritagh (Tianshan), the official website of the XUAR government told of how visitors spent the holiday celebrating with Uyghurs and delivering gifts of rice, noodles, cooking oil and milk.

One huiju work team from the Jinghe County Water Conservancy Management Office organized a celebration with the theme “National Unity, One Family, and Eid al-Adha” in which people gathered to sing and dance at a farm in Jinghe county in Xinjiang’s Bortala Mongol Autonomous Prefecture (in Chinese, Bortala Menggu), the report said.

“Everyone dressed in festive costumes and danced gracefully,” it said. “There are well-choreographed folk dances and modern dances, as well as poetry readings and calligraphy displays. Everyone actively participated in the national unity knowledge quiz, and the activity scene was filled with the passion of unity and progress.”

Another report on the Tengritagh website cited instances of Uyghurs expressing gratitude to the Chinese Communist Party on the holiday.

A huiju team from the State Grid Kizilsu Kirgiz Autonomous Prefecture Power Supply Company in Shalatala village in Artush (Atushi) visited the homes of the poor and ‘went deep into the fields and helped the villagers to do farm work,’ the article said.

An elderly villager named Ani Abriz expressed gratitude for the help the team offered and was quoted as saying, “Thanks to the party and the government for their care and concern for us. The first secretary also paid for the exterior wall of our house. Our whole family was very moved.”

China’s attempts to deceive the international community by portraying ‘happy Uyghurs’ as part of its propaganda are becoming “evermore naked,” said Ilshat Hassan Kokbore, a political analyst based in the U.S. and vice chairman of the executive committee of the World Uyghur Congress.

“It’s clear from its latest propaganda blitz featuring Uyghurs ‘happily’ celebrating the Qurban Eid under the watch of fang huiju officials,” he said, referring to the cadres dispatched by the regional government to monitor Uyghurs in their homes and report their activities to authorities.

“Their job is to surveil, manipulate and even threaten the Uyghurs by forcing them to smile, look happy and perform for the state media to deceive the world,” Kokbore told RFA. “In fact, this is an intensive form of state repression that we’re witnessing. This inhuman treatment of Uyghurs is more than shocking, but pure evil.”

Rushan Abbas, executive director of the U.S.-based Campaign for Uyghurs said that “China’s manipulation and orchestration of Uyghur happiness during the Eid” would not fool anyone.

“The international community is fully aware that China has been committing an ongoing genocide against the Uyghur people and rooting out Uyghur people’s belief in Islam for the past six years,” she told RFA.

“No amount of Chinese propaganda and manufactured happiness of Uyghurs will change the fact that China is actively destroying the very foundation of Uyghur people’s religious beliefs and practices,” she said.

Earlier this year on Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday marking the end of the fasting month of Ramadan, China portrayed Uyghurs in Xinjiang as enjoying religious freedom with public celebrations, contradicting documented reports by rights groups of state-backed human rights violations inside the region.

Residents of Kashgar (Kashi) said authorities allegedly paid Muslim Uyghur men to dance outside the most famous mosque in Xinjiang to celebrate the May 1-2 holiday in a performance that was recorded and released by state media ahead of an anticipated visit by the United Nations human rights chief later that month.

Since 2017, Chinese authorities have ramped up their repression of Uyghurs and other Turkic minorities throughout Xinjiang, detaining up to 1.8 million members of these groups in internment camps. The maltreatment also includes severe human rights abuses, torture and forced labor as well as the eradication of linguistic, cultural and religious traditions.

Credible reports by rights groups and Western media documenting the widespread abuse and repression in the Xinjiang have prompted the U.S. and some parliaments in Western countries to declare that the Chinese government’s action amount to a genocide and crimes against humanity.

funny tweet by the author made in tyool 2022:
https://twitter.com/roseannegerin/status/1521984086243520516

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Jared diamond could have written a very interesting book on the spread of domesticated plants and animals but instead he wrote guns germs and steel

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jared diamond could have written a very interesting book on the spread of domesticated plants and animals but instead he wrote guns germs and steel

the title alone tells you its a dad history thing anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ethnic minority groups are supposed to be in immiserated poverty and ignored while being murdered by police, not given government support!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Raskolnikov38 posted:

pop science overtaking respected science is p normal but the fact that Diamond never acknowledged and im pretty sure literally never was aware of cultural ecology, the actual study of what he was talking about, is kind of amazing. Frank Herbert was probably more qualified

The Blind Watchmaker is also basically the same thing. Dawkins doesn't draw on any of his actual knowledge of ethology and instead tries to reinvent the idea of genetic algorithms from scratch without actually referencing the work of anyone who knows what theyre talking about

offtopic i guess but also CHINA WATCHING is the same thing. like if you just were literate in chinese and english, and just read everything the CCP puts out, and summarized it in english, you would literally be the worlds foremost western china expert. but nobody does that because theres no money in it, unlike just making poo poo up about china, which is a vast field of theology

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mawarannahr posted:

“some observers say,” eh?

quote:

“Their job is to surveil, manipulate and even threaten the Uyghurs by forcing them to smile, look happy and perform for the state media to deceive the world,” Kokbore told RFA. “In fact, this is an intensive form of state repression that we’re witnessing. This inhuman treatment of Uyghurs is more than shocking, but pure evil.”

i can never forget this braingenius from d&d/gbs coming into the cspam auspol thread

Centusin posted:

i know there's no point in saying this but typically people celebrate Eid al-Fitr by praying inside or outside of mosques not dancing outside of them so I would say that video shows no footage of anybody actually properly celebrating Eid. It's almost like they couldn't record footage of people performing Salat or reciting Takbir because it didn't happen

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Jared Diamond is fine when he talks about microbiology in Guns, Germs and Steel but the rest is silly. His education is in biochemistry so that’s to be expected

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08ea32251a1063

quote:

Conroy also said it was “not true” that Solomon Islands had blocked visas for Australian aid workers, after the Australian newspaper reported it had closed the door on Australians while opening another for Beijing. The five workers’ visa applications were complicated, he said, and had just been delayed.

:shrug:

I mean it might be true but when I looked for a source that wasn’t the Australian equivalent of Fox News I could only find quotes from the Australian Pacific Minister basically implying that the story was made up, though I suppose he’d look better if it was

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

eSports Chaebol posted:

offtopic i guess but also CHINA WATCHING is the same thing. like if you just were literate in chinese and english, and just read everything the CCP puts out, and summarized it in english, you would literally be the worlds foremost western china expert. but nobody does that because theres no money in it, unlike just making poo poo up about china, which is a vast field of theology

it is pretty funny that a lot of the "breaking through anti-China propaganda" comes with just reading histories and articles with Chinese primary sources

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wait I dont understand I thought china was waging a total war against islam in Xinjiang why would they bother celebrating Eid and sending party cadres out to party with the locals.

Also if I were the solomon islands I would keep a really close eye on their generals and officers because theres no way america and australia arent planning a coup at this point.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ethnic minority groups are supposed to be in immiserated poverty and ignored while being murdered by police, not given government support!

poverty is culture plz dont genocide people by giving them money

matti
Mar 31, 2019

R. Guyovich posted:

weird how the "anti-tankie" thread, which was always a cesspit and never really had any reason to be in pyf, keeps churning out weird pedos months after its long-overdue closure

sulla on huumeongelma

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

crepeface posted:

i can never forget this braingenius from d&d/gbs coming into the cspam auspol thread

holy poo poo imagine some dork bursting into your living room and telling you are celebrating the holidays wrong lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Also if I were the solomon islands I would keep a really close eye on their generals and officers because theres no way america and australia arent planning a coup at this point.

yup

https://twitter.com/chrstphr_woody/status/1546604520800747520

https://twitter.com/ndi/status/1546133892003811330

:qq: https://twitter.com/skynewsaust/status/1546232762746961920

they’re breaking out the heavy weapons…

https://twitter.com/usembassysuva/status/1546600274717859841

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1545981197804781569

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i mean this is pretty neat and wholesome this seems cool.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

i mean this is pretty neat and wholesome this seems cool.

the perfect cover!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"the Solomon islands are important because we recognize that they are important, and we look forward to partnering with our partners"
*raucuous laughter*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this hashtag rocks

https://twitter.com/demdigest/status/1534912513392971780

https://twitter.com/yehaoqin/status/1509353216701775872

https://twitter.com/jonaspplesner/status/1333021641044070400

I have no idea about #economicArticle5 but it sounds extremely cool.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow I have just learned about flying inflatable boats which appear just as sketchy and amazing as the name implies

"ttyl"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
poochie died on his way back to shore

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
sticking a hanglider and a big fan onto an inflatable raft seems so obvious in hindsight im surprised i haven't seen it more

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
what if there's like a strong wind while you're up there

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Casey Finnigan posted:

what if there's like a strong wind while you're up there

fun

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
This year’s Pacific Island Forum was originally members only, preventing countries with partner status (including America and China) from participating. Her presence there might not be that popular, since it seems like you’d only show up if you couldn’t read the room

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Goast posted:

holy poo poo imagine some dork bursting into your living room and telling you are celebrating the holidays wrong lmao

i believe my response was to ask him if he spent his christmas building a snowman and singing carols instead of getting drunk at a summer bbq

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vladimir Poutine posted:

This year’s Pacific Island Forum was originally members only, preventing countries with partner status (including America and China) from participating. Her presence there might not be that popular, since it seems like you’d only show up if you couldn’t read the room

her presence will be entirely virtual

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

stephenthinkpad posted:

Many political assassinations in South Asia, Indira and her son (killed by separatist). Also the original Gandhi (no relation to the ING Gandhi family) A few in Pakistan, plus mysterious plane crash.

Also dictator in South Korea got killed by his spy head. Just want to mention it because S Korea leaders always had weird and dramatic way of exit power.
when i first learned about this, i assumed it was some big multi-party conspiracy that was tied to the head of the Korean CIA, when in fact, no, the actual leader of the KCIA just pulled out a gun and shot Park Chung-hee in the middle of the presidential residence. South Korea really had a run of presidents getting assassinated or sentenced to death or being regular imprisoned for everything from minor corruption to mass murder

gotta be the second-wildest assassination next to the Crown Prince of Nepal taking a Call of Duty: Warzone loadout and doing a mass shooting of his entire extended family a few months before 9/11

e:

Fly Molo posted:

the gently caress does that mean

KirbyKhan posted:

Keikaku means plan
my god, it's beautiful...

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Jul 12, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
At least it has got a fan on it to give it some thrust, and it can float compared to a hand-glider (I guess emergency chutes are debatable, I don't know how high that thing can go.)

None of that stuff is actually, you know, safe.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Jul 12, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

At least it has got a fan on it to give it some thrust, and it can float compared to a hand-glider (I guess emergency chutes are debatable, I don't know how high that thing can go.)

The raft works as an emergancy airbag. just make sure you land raft down

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Ardennes posted:

civilian recreational flying is never safe, won't stop weirdos with too much money doing goofy poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
cook islands (e: just the pm) and marshall islands have pulled out of pif too

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/129253746/pacific-island-forum-internal-spats-pose-threat-to-pacific-unity-on-climate-crisis-china

exmarx has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Jul 12, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Goast posted:

civilian recreational flying is never safe, won't stop weirdos with too much money doing goofy poo poo

shhhh don't say the greatest equalizer out loud

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

her presence will be entirely virtual

Yeah, but the decision to only allow members was made so that the forum focused on climate change rather than geopolitics and Harris being there in spite of that will probably rub some people the wrong way

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Palladium posted:

shhhh don't say the greatest equalizer out loud

give me a couple thousand dollars a month in disposable income and i will gladly be a part of the great equalizer

Goast has issued a correction as of 09:07 on Jul 12, 2022

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wasn't joking when i said pedophilia is anticommunist.

capitalism is a pedophilia ring that got out of hand.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

pop science overtaking respected science is p normal but the fact that Diamond never acknowledged and im pretty sure literally never was aware of cultural ecology, the actual study of what he was talking about, is kind of amazing. Frank Herbert was probably more qualified

The Blind Watchmaker is also basically the same thing. Dawkins doesn't draw on any of his actual knowledge of ethology and instead tries to reinvent the idea of genetic algorithms from scratch without actually referencing the work of anyone who knows what theyre talking about

that's right imo. a lot of concepts get invented independently over and over because ideas are a product of material circumstances. basically a kind of dependent origination? the versions that are safe for Capital are reproduced widely and repeatedly through the power exploited labor and dead dino juice, while the versions that threaten Capital's stability quietly die out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zodium posted:

capitalism is a pedophilia ring that got out of hand.

This honestly explains so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

I saw this account in the wild and reported it to Twitter who replied that it doesn't violate their tos lol

one thing fascists excel at is using the letter of the law to abuse its spirit, and these guys know all the ways it takes to never cross that moderation line. The only time I've ever seen twitter staff actively target Nazis was when Atomwaffen was pumping out Siegepill propaganda that openly called for genocide.