Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't really read it as Trilla trying to do some kind of manipulation plan as much as her being a very volatile person who wants to stir some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I read the “manipulation” as Trilla stirring up trouble too. And I read Vader’s judgment of Luke’s training with memory of his comment about feeling a tremor in the Force when Obi-Wan was near. The same would apply to his students. Really, how good a look could he have gotten at Luke in that hangar? Or maybe he recognized some lightsaber techniques his master passed on, we never see Yoda training Luke in weapons. Obi-Wan did train him in weapons.

Not sure why I’m arguing over this, tbh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

achtungnight posted:

Not sure why I’m arguing over this, tbh.

Cause for all the weaknesses in the story of this game, it's miles ahead of the newest movies?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
drat right! The Mandalorian’s about as good but not the latest movies (with the exception of Rogue One).

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

gotta say bd-1's intervention was also a great way to end the fight, keep her a threat, and allow them to have a conversation. they didn't fall into the trap of two combative parties suddenly just chilling and chatting for a while.

also loved the little saber poke she did to the laserwall before giving up violence and switching to words. just gotta make sure that lightsaber is now completely nonviable before switching things up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Outstanding is the single best line delivery in the game.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

SirSamVimes posted:

Elizabeth Grullon does a fantastic job in general this game but this particular cut scene stands out with some truly great voice work.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh, undoubtedly.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Who's keeping count of the deaths now?

Is the sabre-staff always better than a single lightsabre? I mean, once you have the staff, is there any reason you'd go back to the single?

Jumping into the water was a shock. I don't know why, but I thought water was an instant death.

Okay, that fight against the Sith. First of all, Outstanding. Secondly, now I get it. Complaints about the game? Over. That looked like fun. I loved the movements and the combat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I usually go for single saber when I want precise strikes over crowd control and double in the opposite situation. I also try to stay better at single blade because that’s the style you’re stuck with most of the game anyway. Some moves don’t work with double, some only with double.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
By my count, it's up to 30 deaths now, counting the one to the boss-bar having creature, and the two falls in the previous episode.

It was definitely a good scene with the Sister. It doesn't matter that the conversation didn't immediately bear fruit. Any cracks or fractures she can put into Cal's relationship with Cere, are things she can exploit later on, perhaps to try and turn Cal to the dark side as she herself was turned.

Is Dual-wielding an option, or just single/double?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Just single/double. Maybe in the next game we’ll get dual wield.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Single Saber: slower heavy attacks. Generally better for single targets and traditional "hit them when they're open then retreat" tactics. Unlocks reinforce this (follow up a strike with a stronger strike or longer reach).
Double Saber: lots of lighter wide attacks. Better for crowds, all that spinning you do will hit stuff. Unlocks reinforce this (make your saber go spinny around you).

You can swap between them using left-right on the D-pad (with my D-pad this means I often switch when getting a BD-1 heal which is up). There's also an unlock talent to long-press a weak attack to do a follow-up that changes your stance. Good players can probably do this for some sort of long flowing chain of attacks, but mostly it just looks cool.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I barely ever used the saberstaff in my playthrough, I just never nailed the rhythm of the attacks because it gives you two hits per button press rather than one. Basically only ever pulled it out to (possible ability spoiler) auto-reflect blasterfire when there were a bunch of stormtroopers or one of the chaingun troopers

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I kinda like the purity of a single lightsaber. The staff was a great gimmick in The Phantom Menace with Ray Parks Jr. giving it the ol' twirl, but it sounded great as a one-time thing. Unfortunately, since then, every game has had it as a feature and it's watered down that shock of "OMG, he's got two blades!".

Didn't stop me from using them and dual-wielding during my first playthrough of KoTOR to maximize my attacks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Just single/double. Maybe in the next game we’ll get dual wield.

Then in the third game we'll dual double?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

painedforever posted:

I kinda like the purity of a single lightsaber. The staff was a great gimmick in The Phantom Menace with Ray Parks Jr. giving it the ol' twirl, but it sounded great as a one-time thing. Unfortunately, since then, every game has had it as a feature and it's watered down that shock of "OMG, he's got two blades!".

It could be worse. It could oh so much worse.

racerabbit fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 13, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I would say that a three bladed lightsaber (in each hand), just with two more blades popping out at odd angles from the pommel, would obviously be a joke, but, on the other hand, the entirety of the star wars EU exists, and, well,

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

I would say that a three bladed lightsaber (in each hand), just with two more blades popping out at odd angles from the pommel, would obviously be a joke, but, on the other hand, the entirety of the star wars EU exists, and, well,

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

This is the picture I was trying to post above, but I'm old and Imgur seems to suck now? Regardless, "Lord Nyax" is definitely the pinnacle/nadir of lightsaber abuse.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

racerabbit posted:

This is the picture I was trying to post above, but I'm old and Imgur seems to suck now? Regardless, "Lord Nyax" is definitely the pinnacle/nadir of lightsaber abuse.
I mean, lightsaber fists are pretty cool. The wrists, elbows... and knees... are where it goes wrong.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's also a head lightsaber. It may be off, but it's still there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bloody hell.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That sure was a hard fight to visualize when I read it.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 14, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's me, the guy who likes that Nyax plot. The good guys have so much other crap on their plate at the time and here's some imperial boondoggle project that the emperor started mostly for a laugh at someone's suffering surfacing to cause trouble when they least need it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For context, "Lord Nyax" was just an urban legend on Corellia, and then some legitimately crazy darksider saw his victims mentally associating him with it and decided he liked the name and would be him (because Lord made him seem important, and Nyax was unique). The story is entirely self aware he's absolutely ridiculous.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I was going to call out the prequel movies for that stupid escalation of lightsabers. Darth Maul with a saberstaff in the first, Anakin with his dual-wielding in the second, and then coughy-McStoopy robot with his quad-wielding in the third...

But this...

This is just on a whole other level of stupid. I need to invent a language to express how utterly stupid this is. And you tell me that not pictured is another lightsabre on his head!?

There's just no words.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's one hundred percent Palpatine cackling like a madman and telling his eeeeevil scientist minions to see just how much hardware they can cram into this guy. And then they stuff him in a cryo tube for a few decades, because he's obviously not usable for anything.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

For context, "Lord Nyax" was just an urban legend on Corellia, and then some legitimately crazy darksider saw his victims mentally associating him with it and decided he liked the name and would be him (because Lord made him seem important, and Nyax was unique). The story is entirely self aware he's absolutely ridiculous.

That actually sounds pretty fun, another fun take, a bit more mean on star wars, is that story about how the first droid Luke inspects in the garbage dump is force sensitive and deliberately fries itself so Luke takes the right droid with him.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Would you like to know what madness looks like? Try figuring out what the gently caress happens to the frame rate for up to a minute at a time for the next two videos. I've tried processing and not processing these through other programs, using alternate editors, re-processing after editing. Nothing. loving. Works. It's only going to get worse.

Normally, I would just scrap the videos and jump back to the point where things got bad and then re-record until I caught up. Can't do that with this game. There's one save file and if something goes wrong I'm in trouble. This is going to get worse in episode 11 and 12, like, I almost considered restarting the whole game because of how bad things are. Trying to get this under control is why I'm so delayed in this post, but I've given up on trying to figure this out and hoping that my new fix (30FPS forced from a different session than I recorded from) is the answer. Time will tell. Anyways: We learn how to Pull here and it's great. Next episode I yell at a sphere and some roots in the first major puzzle forcing you to use the new ability!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Anyways: We learn how to Pull here and it's great. Next episode I yell at a sphere and some roots in the first major puzzle forcing you to use the new ability!

Do you also yell at some water? I yelled at that water so hard.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Saber + Push + Pull = Sabertoss.

Best Skill Ever.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 19, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lazyfire posted:

Would you like to know what madness looks like? Try figuring out what the gently caress happens to the frame rate for up to a minute at a time for the next two videos. I've tried processing and not processing these through other programs, using alternate editors, re-processing after editing. Nothing. loving. Works. It's only going to get worse.

Yeah, that's painful to look at.

Do Force powers work in combat? Can you just whip out a Push to give yourself room, like against a Purge? Or just dump them over the edge, because they always seem to try and fight you on high ledges that aren't OSHA compliant.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

painedforever posted:

Do Force powers work in combat? Can you just whip out a Push to give yourself room, like against a Purge? Or just dump them over the edge, because they always seem to try and fight you on high ledges that aren't OSHA compliant.

He actually does that in this video. A Stormtrooper goes over the edge, but all it does to the Purge Trooper is knock a little bit of stamina off their bar, and they guard against the attack. You might be able to do it if you take out their stamina, then push while they are on the edge, but I can't ever recall seeing that happen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's an interesting choice to have simple push and pull so far into the game considering how primary they were in Jedi Outcast and Academy. I really loved how you got basic powers from those games at once, even the Lightsaber throw.

Has anyone tried playing these games with Mouse + Keyboard? I'm not sure how well some of those combination moves would play. Then again, the last time I played Outcast and Academy was so long ago that I don't use the same control scheme that I used to use.

Anyway, after Pull, the death counter looks like:

Scrapper - Falls: 1 // Total: 1
Droid - Enemies: 2 Falls: 7 // Total: 9 (10)
Village - Enemies: 2 Falls: 3 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (16)
Ruins - Falls: 5 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (22)
Walker – Falls: 1 // Total 1 (23)
Return None // Total: 0 (23)
Camp – Falls: 3 Hazards 1 // Total 4: (27)
Zeffo: – Falls: 2 // Total 2: (29)
Sister: – Enemies: 1 // Total: 1 (30)
Pull: – Falls: 2 // Total 2 (32)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

painedforever posted:

Yeah, that's painful to look at.

Purge troopers don't go flying, but they do stagger some and it's enough to send them off ledges. It's my preferred method of dealing with them, which first time through led to me looking up where to find a particular one to scan that becomes rare later on.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Anyway, after Pull, the death counter looks like:

Scrapper - Falls: 1 // Total: 1
Droid - Enemies: 2 Falls: 7 // Total: 9 (10)
Village - Enemies: 2 Falls: 3 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (16)
Ruins - Falls: 5 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (22)
Walker – Falls: 1 // Total 1 (23)
Return None // Total: 0 (23)
Camp – Falls: 3 Hazards 1 // Total 4: (27)
Zeffo: – Falls: 2 // Total 2: (29)
Sister: – Enemies: 1 // Total: 1 (30)
Pull: – Falls: 2 // Total 2 (32)

:golfclap:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's an interesting choice to have simple push and pull so far into the game considering how primary they were in Jedi Outcast and Academy. I really loved how you got basic powers from those games at once, even the Lightsaber throw.

Yeah it's especially weird that you get them *after* the time-freeze power, and (future ability spoiler that you can probably guess) double-jump after wall run. Both of them seem like way more advanced and esoteric stuff than push/pull etc.

Plot explanation might be that the time-freeze was the last Jedi power he used -- stopping the clones so he could pull Tapal into the escape pod -- before he cut himself off from the Force? I think it's the only one you get without a flashback.

berryjon posted:

He actually does that in this video. A Stormtrooper goes over the edge, but all it does to the Purge Trooper is knock a little bit of stamina off their bar, and they guard against the attack. You might be able to do it if you take out their stamina, then push while they are on the edge, but I can't ever recall seeing that happen.

It's a really cool bit of animation storytelling how the Purge Troopers counter your force powers -- the staff-armed ones dig their weapon into the ground to avoid being knocked around, and the rifle-wielding ones snapshot you with their blaster to knock you off balance. Really sells the fact that even though they're Muggles, they've spent their entire career learning how to kill Jedi and know every trick in the book to even the odds

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 19, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's a really cool bit of animation storytelling how the Purge Troopers counter your force powers -- the staff-armed ones dig their weapon into the ground to avoid being knocked around, and the rifle-wielding ones snapshot you with their blaster to knock you off balance. Really sells the fact that even though they're Muggles, they've spent their entire career learning how to kill Jedi and know every trick in the book to even the odds

If you try to pull them some purge troopers say "okay" and point their weapon forward as they shoot towards you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It seemed as though doing Push and Pull have a bit of a "wind-up", so I couldn't tell if it was feasible to use those during a close melee. Like, would you get wailed on if you tried to do a quick Push. Because I saw Lazyfire Push the Purge Trooper and the Stormtrooper as soon as they landed, but there was a bit of distance between him and the baddies.

ninjahedgehog posted:

That is pretty good, I did notice that.