Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elissimpark posted:

I don't how closely the nature of the Episcopal church matches to my experiences growing up attending a progressive Anglican church, but I'm imagining someone getting very aggravated about the quality of the tea after the service and the ratio of cream biscuits to plain ones.

My old episcopal church had Mavis Staples in concert, hosts weekly bluegrass and community basketball nights, and had a coffee break in the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I lived in Charlotte, NC, there was a local scandal when a Catholic ladies' quilting society ordered in pizza, and it came with free tracts explaining that Catholics were going to Hell. The delivery person, who was fired, still thought he'd done the right thing.
tbh, if I thought hell was real and some people were going there, I don't think you could convince me that trying to prevent that by any means was a bad thing to do. Like, sure, he knows he's being rude, but those catholic ladies apparently didn't realise that they were going to be tortured for eternity and he was trying to stop that, so from his perspective he's entirely justified. You could argue that his method was unnecessarily confrontational and unlikely to be effective, but to get that far you still have to accept that his intention was good and he was right to do something.

I honestly don't know how anyone can believe that followers of other religions go to hell and then be all "live and let live" about it. It's like seeing a sleepwalker heading for traffic and just going "well, it's rude to wake someone up when they're sleeping."

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

What are the odds he's successfully pulling off some kind of rich shithead money alchemy? He's still on the hook for a bunch of money. Not just because of the stuff he promised, but all the trash-talking he did hurt Twitter's stock, and you're not supposed to do that when you're trying to buy them. I've heard it suggested he wanted to sell off a bunch of Tesla stock, and saying it was for this deal would give him cover to do it without causing a crash. I dunno, that kind of made sense to dummy like me.

I'm not trying to give him credit by suggesting that he's some cleverly implementing some masterful scheme. He's just doing something he officially shouldn't be able to do, but can because anyone with his level of wealth can do pretty much anything consequence free.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dr Christmas posted:

What are the odds he's successfully pulling off some kind of rich shithead money alchemy? He's still on the hook for a bunch of money. Not just because of the stuff he promised, but all the trash-talking he did hurt Twitter's stock, and you're not supposed to do that when you're trying to buy them. I've heard it suggested he wanted to sell off a bunch of Tesla stock, and saying it was for this deal would give him cover to do it without causing a crash. I dunno, that kind of made sense to dummy like me.

I'm not trying to give him credit by suggesting that he's some cleverly implementing some masterful scheme. He's just doing something he officially shouldn't be able to do, but can because anyone with his level of wealth can do pretty much anything consequence free.

I think at some point we have to apply Occam's Razor and just call a shithead fuckwit a shithead fuckwit. He's not playing 17th dimension anti-reverse-ultrachess, he's just a blowhard, and giving him all these excuses just plays into his smartest person in the room thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I really hope he gets away with it, because he's gonna be a rich fuckwit at the end of the day either way, but if he owns Twitter it's probably a matter of hours before China starts leaning on him to censor anti-CCP tweets using his various Chinese factories as the hostage.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol oh no then twitter would be bad

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neito posted:

I think at some point we have to apply Occam's Razor and just call a shithead fuckwit a shithead fuckwit. He's not playing 17th dimension anti-reverse-ultrachess, he's just a blowhard, and giving him all these excuses just plays into his smartest person in the room thing.

There's a Brooklyn 99 episode where Jake manages to get someone to confess to a crime by claiming that it was pure luck that made the evidence possible to hide instead of a deliberate meticulous plan, and he ends up confessing because he refuses to be seen as anything but a genius.

I kinda see Musk like that, except... you know, actually stupid. It's pretty clear the thing he hates most of all is being seen to be the idiot he is.

All if which is to say, yes, keep calling him an idiot, it pisses him off and pissing off Musk is morally right.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

As someone raised Catholic I just have to laugh at Tradcath converts. They join for the aesthetics but I doubt you get to go to the cool Dracula's castle looking churches if you live in like the suburbs of Des Moines or something.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Neito posted:

Eh, I personally think like all 'self made' rich people, he buys into his own hype, but has teams of actual competent experts trying to steer him, sometimes he listens as best he can other times he doesn't.
So there's a chance this had some elements of a plan to give Elon some liquidity without tipping over his house of cards, but equal odds the whole thing was just a manic episode, or some combination of the two.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elissimpark posted:

I don't how closely the nature of the Episcopal church matches to my experiences growing up attending a progressive Anglican church, but I'm imagining someone getting very aggravated about the quality of the tea after the service and the ratio of cream biscuits to plain ones.
Oh, people go on for years about "I want a sung liturgy and also no poor or nonwhite people". Unfortunately, it is amazing how often a sung liturgy and the older BCP language (aka Rite 1 in the US) go hand in hand with "social conservatism".

Mind you, I still consider myself Episcopal, just too lazy to get out of bed on Sundays.

Tiggum posted:

tbh, if I thought hell was real and some people were going there, I don't think you could convince me that trying to prevent that by any means was a bad thing to do.
Do you tell strangers that they are surely going to die of heart failure and they need to eat lettuce RIGHT drat NOW? What's the difference?

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Jul 12, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

gdi, I've done quote not edit twice today.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Coolness Averted posted:

Eh, I personally think like all 'self made' rich people, he buys into his own hype, but has teams of actual competent experts trying to steer him, sometimes he listens as best he can other times he doesn't.
So there's a chance this had some elements of a plan to give Elon some liquidity without tipping over his house of cards, but equal odds the whole thing was just a manic episode, or some combination of the two.
Given the various extremely dumb and harmful things he's done in the past I don't think Elon is the sort of person who generally listens to handlers or PR people, if he has any.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

kazil posted:

they are pretty poo poo at making crackers too
Maybe compared to the Quiverfulls

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, people go on for years about "I want a sung liturgy and also no poor or nonwhite people". Unfortunately, it is amazing how often a sung liturgy and the older BCP language (aka Rite 1 in the US) go hand in hand with "social conservatism".

Mind you, I still consider myself Episcopal, just too lazy to get out of bed on Sundays.

Do you tell strangers that they are surely going to die of heart failure and they need to eat lettuce RIGHT drat NOW? What's the difference?

Also if going to heaven means hanging out with the kind of insufferable tools that put religious tracts in pizza, I'd probably rather go to hell where the cool people are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Everyone's going to die, and I don't even know if I personally would prefer to live longer or eat more pizzas, so I really can't make that call for anyone else.

I'm absolutely, 100% certain, though, that I don't want to be tortured for eternity and I don't believe anyone else wants that for themself either, because it is, by definition, bad.

That's the major difference.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I hope its hot and terrible otherwise ill feel ive been scammed

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

All if which is to say, yes, keep calling him an idiot, it pisses him off and pissing off Musk is morally right.

To mildly tie together the two bits of the thread going at the moment, Cast the Mighty down from their Thrones, send the Rich away empty.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

It's insane, this baby's taint!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Push El Burrito posted:

It's insane, this baby's taint!

HEY, lady! Let me see that baby's taint!!!!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Dr Christmas posted:

He’s tweaked. He decided to buy Twitter when he was high, then when he came down he realized it’s a bad idea

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It looks like it's just a slang term for cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, which is something that's been seen rarely in the past but seemingly is more frequent now. It's basically a GI disorder with extreme cramping. Here's a mildly hand-wringy article from 2019 about it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6690288/

Holy poo poo quoting this from too long ago in the thread but I get the cramping/other GI stuff from weed and so opt out. I was told it was ancient stoner knowledge that it happens to some people. Glad I never went too strong with the mg

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i scromit continuously but the weed stops it. like being knurd

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Consider the importance of the afterlife to these psychos who ACTUALLY believe. ALL things, ALL THINGS are secondary to the idea of being able to be in heaven. Heaven is eternal, life is not. If there is a chance that you can increase your likelihood of being heaven, regardless as to the suffering you experience on Earth, you would take it. It's simple logic - with emphasis on simple.

As for converts being psychos, that's been the case for a long time - consider G. K. Chesterton. (hah, autocorrect wanted to make that G. I. - how appropriate) when he converted to Catholicism.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, "There's no zealot like a convert" is a cliche for a reason.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My experience is the born agains are even worse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

There's a Brooklyn 99 episode where Jake manages to get someone to confess to a crime by claiming that it was pure luck that made the evidence possible to hide instead of a deliberate meticulous plan, and he ends up confessing because he refuses to be seen as anything but a genius.

This is also how they beat Sideshow Bob in that one episode by claiming the Rush Limbaugh riff was the real mastermind.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
re: baby taints; Presumably the baby is already born by the time they are being fed the baby food. Does the plastic and spinach go back in time and affect in utero development of the genitals?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Please, Dr. Stab, stop talking about baby taints.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Dr. Stab posted:

re: baby taints; Presumably the baby is already born by the time they are being fed the baby food. Does the plastic and spinach go back in time and affect in utero development of the genitals?

Uh, everyone knows that when you hit puberty your taint increases in size in direct reverse proportion to the amount of spinach you've eaten so far. Not knowing says more about your deficient taint than anything else, really.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

So baby taints aside (wtf) that guy thinks babies aren't supposed to eat vegetables? Or something?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Popeye famously doesn't have a taint. Look it up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kazil posted:

Popeye famously doesn't have a taint. Look it up.

Popeye is canon genderless so this checks out.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My social media pro tip is that if you don't want to appear crazy, the first step is to avoid crazy eyes. Especially when doing a deranged rant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK not on topic but "Also, in the 1940s shorts, Popeye gained four nephews named Pipeye, Peepeye, Poopeye and Pupeye,"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peepeye is currently serving 40-life

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peepeye is currently serving 40-life

Poopeye died of a bacterial infection shortly after the movie finished filming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can believe that followers of other religions go to hell and then be all "live and let live" about it. It's like seeing a sleepwalker heading for traffic and just going "well, it's rude to wake someone up when they're sleeping."

Because most of the appeal is that you are better than everyone else. If everyone was going to heaven then there is no point being in the heaven goers club and you wouldn't get to yell fire and brimstone on everybody you don't like.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Low testosterone babies.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
All that taint lost to spinach, like tears in rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I was watching Clerks the other day and forgot that Gatorade used to come in glass bottles. Clearly, the switch to plastic is to shrink our sportists' precious taints.