Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem Miami to be born?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem Miami to be born?

:parrot:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem Miami to be born break down?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrYenko posted:

Of course it has A Florida plate.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I picked up a free engine driven welder that is a serious mechanical failure:

The engine is hosed, but the electrical side was apparently fine. For some reason someone took the entire electrical side of things apart, cut wires, didn't label anything, and left it all out in the rain for a few months; but this is horrible mechanical failures, so reading wiring diagrams is for another day.

This is an open casket funeral:

This is the oil pickup tube. I found it sitting in the opposite end of the crankcase as the oil pump. I can't say for certain whether this came loose before or after the rest of the damage....

There are some other bits and pieces just chilling where they shouldn't be:

I'm actually impressed at how badly damaged the rods and that one piston are. Fun fact, the really broken piston was on the opposite side of the block as the hole. The first picture you can see where a bearing spun really bad on the crank, it's actually not that rod, it's the one that doesn't look so bad. I'm sure this made quite a sound!

While not a failure, my lawnmower really needed a new muffler. I bodged on the welder's muffler and, while it looks stupid, it's loving QUIET AF. Holy poo poo, i shoulda put a better muffler on this thing years ago.
The mower also has a kohler engine, so the muffler should feel light at home, just sans one cylinder.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
What do I win?

https://i.imgur.com/9MBBcIH.mp4

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

How is that rocker so clean when it looks like that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wargames posted:

What do I win?

A new lower control arm by the looks of things.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

This is like Homer on a treadmill or a lava lamp and I can't stop watching.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Links broken for me and I kinda wanted to see it from other’s descriptions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chrisgt posted:

I picked up a free engine driven welder that is a serious mechanical failure:

The engine is hosed, but the electrical side was apparently fine. For some reason someone took the entire electrical side of things apart, cut wires, didn't label anything, and left it all out in the rain for a few months; but this is horrible mechanical failures, so reading wiring diagrams is for another day.

This is an open casket funeral:

This is the oil pickup tube. I found it sitting in the opposite end of the crankcase as the oil pump. I can't say for certain whether this came loose before or after the rest of the damage....

There are some other bits and pieces just chilling where they shouldn't be:

I'm actually impressed at how badly damaged the rods and that one piston are. Fun fact, the really broken piston was on the opposite side of the block as the hole. The first picture you can see where a bearing spun really bad on the crank, it's actually not that rod, it's the one that doesn't look so bad. I'm sure this made quite a sound!

While not a failure, my lawnmower really needed a new muffler. I bodged on the welder's muffler and, while it looks stupid, it's loving QUIET AF. Holy poo poo, i shoulda put a better muffler on this thing years ago.
The mower also has a kohler engine, so the muffler should feel light at home, just sans one cylinder.

So what's the plan, predator engine, butt splices, and live happily ever after? Hopefully it's a standard j609b taper or whatever?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I like when free stuff becomes a massive burden.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I just figured he got the whole thing just to use the muffler. Success!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

So what's the plan, predator engine, butt splices, and live happily ever after? Hopefully it's a standard j609b taper or whatever?

At 10kw generator plus the welder (basically two generators on the same shaft/housing), it's on the large side for j609b. The kohler ch20 usually has a 1-1/8" shaft, so that leaves me a little uncertain as to what i'll find.

I can tell that the generator does not have a front bearing, it relies on the engine's rear bearing and since it's a full pressure lubrication engine, i can't just cut the back of the engine housing off and use its bearing (easily). It would be a lot easier if it was a splash lube engine with a ball bearing, just change it to double-shielded.

Not sure what my plans are yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

How is that even possible? Wouldn't all the vaunted tech in that thing not allow it to move with the charge door open?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Darchangel posted:

How is that even possible? Wouldn't all the vaunted tech in that thing not allow it to move with the charge door open?

peep that license plate LOL

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

Marking this bug as edge case, do not fix

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This was making the rounds at work today.

..... there's a shitload of Tesla engineers are in the same building. :haw:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It’s fun to diagnose the failure of the inner hose on a brake flex line. Took me six months to zero in on that fucker. Hose looked fine on the outside.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
"do not replace burst discs with plugs"

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 14, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That made a noise.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Holy poo poo that's freaking impressive. Last noise you ever hear.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Holy poo poo that's freaking impressive. Last noise you ever hear.

WHAT?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

so that blast like liquified the driver I'm assuming?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LifeSunDeath posted:

so that blast like liquified the driver I'm assuming?

Just his eardrums.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy gently caress, even those aluminum ones hold 3000 psi

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The v-tech really kicked in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In Brazil there are a lot of cars that run on natural gas.

Some people then modify these cars to also run on propane, which is taxed at a lower rate because people use it to cook with. Propane also runs at lower pressures than NG, so if you illegally modify your car with a propane tank you need to be sure to have a cutoff so that when you pull into the gas station to get your NG tank filled, it does not backflow into the propane side of the system and make your car blow the gently caress up. And you need to remember to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6ItsHpTZc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

In Brazil there are a lot of cars that run on natural gas.

Some people then modify these cars to also run on propane, which is taxed at a lower rate because people use it to cook with. Propane also runs at lower pressures than NG, so if you illegally modify your car with a propane tank you need to be sure to have a cutoff so that when you pull into the gas station to get your NG tank filled, it does not backflow into the propane side of the system and make your car blow the gently caress up. And you need to remember to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6ItsHpTZc

It’s maybe not a great idea to have a “car will blow up if you don’t throw this every time you refuel” valve.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Holy gently caress, even those aluminum ones hold 3000 psi

Gas expand to two hundred times the volume of the container?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

"do not replace burst discs with plugs"

holy poo poo, it's not Florida

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I've seen a steelie with a burst disc that didn't do what it was supposed to. It sank an RHIB, and explaining to the Coast Guard why an Army Dive School vessel foundered off Key West was interesting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I need some NOS. A big bottle.

The biggest one.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just do what my uncle used to do and use your roll cage.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

No pics, but a friend of a friend has had a truck from the mid 60's that he had on bags, and had the whole thing lowered so it pretty much was scraping the road.

In Philly, our roads are loving awful. If they aren't filled with pot holes, they are graded and waiting to be re-paved, so you spend pretty much all of your time dodging manhole covers that can be as much as 2" above the road surface.

You already see where I'm going with this, but somehow he wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was driving on a graded road, didn't raise the truck and managed to total the truck on a manhole cover. I know he bent his frame, I'm not sure how much else was hosed.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 15, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh that's loving genius. Definitely doing that to stepdad's truck next time I'm in Dallas.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 17, 2022

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

STR posted:

Oh that's loving genius. Definitely doing that to stepdad's truck next time I'm in Dallas.

I'm going to do that to my little brother's car the next time I see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm fond of the old "big ziptie on the axle/driveshaft" trick. Or jumping the blinker relay output to the horn relay input.