Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jack B Nimble posted:

So this problem is with Ford Explorer? But isn't the Maverick on the same platform? Are they made in the same plant on the same line?

No, made in Mexico, but the Lincoln Aviator is made in Chicago and is included on the recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I guess I get a gold star!! I was trying to back up pb crunch's point about the perceived long term durability of the batteries.
My point was that if these batteries turn out to be lovely, regardless of whether they are made by Ford or an outside company it will look bad on Ford.

Same with say the 6 litre international

Sure, but I’m not sure why a recall related to an improperly manufactured battery contactor would imply poor long term durability of a component made by an entirely different company. If you’re worried about the battery durability it makes more sense to point at the company that makes them than the car they’re being put into.

It’s like seeing a recall for HPFPs in a BMW and assuming that the ZF8 transmission is going to blow up too because they’re in the same car and all of the parts must be equally poorly made.

The only way to know if they’re actually long term unreliable is to wait and see. They could be, but none of the recalls so far imply that there’s a fundamental design issue, just that they’ve had teething pains getting a new assembly line stood up building an entirely new platform. Which is pretty common for any new platform and why a lot of people like to wait til the mid-cycle refresh for the kinks to get worked out.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

So this problem is with Ford Explorer? But isn't the Maverick on the same platform? Are they made in the same plant on the same line?

Maverick is on the Escape platform

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My bad; but the Maverick IS included in the Fire Risk recall, gotcha.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

My bad; but the Maverick IS included in the Fire Risk recall, gotcha.

Different fire recall. We won't know entirely for certain until the NHTSA communication docs come out but likely it's connected to the one a few months ago where Ford recalled 155 Escapes because 25 crankshafts had a journal not polished because the emery tape on the machine broke. About half of those were documented as throwing rods and the like. Probably a determination of that investigation that the engine compartment of the platform/drivetrain could use better capability to evacuate oil and vapors in case of similar catastrophic engine failure. All they're doing is adding some more holes to the under engine shield and removing a few of the active grille shutters.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

After walking back the CarPlay as a subscription idea, BMW is trying again but with heated seats this time.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

quote:

BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month

The auto industry is racing towards a future full of microtransactions

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.

It’s not clear exactly when BMW started offering this feature as a subscription, or in which countries, but a number of outlets this week reported spotted its launch in South Korea.

BMW has slowly been putting features behind subscriptions since 2020, and heated seats subs are now available in BMW’s digital stores in countries including the UK, Germany, New Zealand, and South Africa. It doesn’t, however, seem to be an option in the US — yet.

We’ve asked BMW for the exact details of this roll-out, but it was unable to say when the subscriptions had been launched in which countries. It’s no surprise that BMW isn’t trumpeting the news, though. Since the company announced in 2020 that its cars’ operating system would allow for microtransactions on features like automatic high beams and adaptive cruise control, customers have decried the move as greedy and exploitative.

Carmakers have always charged customers more money for high-end features, of course, but the dynamic is very different when software, rather than hardware, is the limiting factor.

In the case of heated seats, for example, BMW owners already have all the necessary components, but BMW has simply placed a software block on their functionality that buyers then have to pay to remove. For some software features that might lead to ongoing expenses for the carmaker (like automated traffic camera alerts, for example), charging a subscription seems more reasonable. But that’s not an issue for heated seats.

Other features that BMW is locking behind subscriptions (as per the company’s digital UK store) include heated steering wheels, from $12 a month; the option to record footage from your car’s cameras, priced at $235 for “unlimited” use; and the “IconicSounds Sport package,” which lets you play engine sounds in your car for a one-time fee of $117.

In the latter case, BMW notes that “the hardware for this feature has already been installed in your vehicle during production, at no extra cost.” How generous.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cars as a service is even worse than Games as a service

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In before they charge you for opening the gas flap

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
415 bucks for unlimited heated seats. GOOD FOR THE SECOND OWNER TOO!!!! but the third owner has to resubscribe

How much is it currently to get heated seats as an option anyway? Or is that part of "convenience package x-49-25-3e" that also includes a bunch of other bullshit that you don't want?

Lastly, how long do you think it will be before "a guy you work with knows a guy who knows a guy" that can unlock your heated seats, AM/FM radio subscription, vibrating seats, karaoke machine options for like 150 bucks the same way 20 odd years ago, everyone knew someone who knew someone that could get you bootleg satellite tv codes?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lastly, how long do you think it will be before "a guy you work with knows a guy who knows a guy" that can unlock your heated seats, AM/FM radio subscription, vibrating seats, karaoke machine options for like 150 bucks the same way 20 odd years ago, everyone knew someone who knew someone that could get you bootleg satellite tv codes?

Given how badly coded most infotainment systems are coded I bet "faster than it takes for people to make nude mods for a pc game".

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

415 bucks for unlimited heated seats. GOOD FOR THE SECOND OWNER TOO!!!! but the third owner has to resubscribe

How much is it currently to get heated seats as an option anyway? Or is that part of "convenience package x-49-25-3e" that also includes a bunch of other bullshit that you don't want?

Theres already dudes that will unlock your CarPlay for $~60 ($300 from BMW) and make it full screen instead of split. They just email you a file and you save it to a USB and install in your car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Given how badly coded most infotainment systems are coded I bet "faster than it takes for people to make nude mods for a pc game".

Let's not get carried away, now.

But yes it'll probably be pretty quick for people to start jailbreaking cars.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
More importantly how long until hackers install ransomware and make your $18 subscription not work unless you send them a bitcoin, lol.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I still wanna know what happens in the case where say, I haven't subscribed to heated seats. I don't have the feature but the hardware is installed. One day something breaks and the seat turns on, cooking the poo poo out of me. I take it in to get fixed, am I expected to pay for that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Apollo posted:

After walking back the CarPlay as a subscription idea, BMW is trying again but with heated seats this time.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

I feel justified in my burning hatred of modern BMW

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Speaking of which. My uncle sells tools for a living so he goes to a lot of dealerships. The techs at a Ford dealership were telling him a story about a vehicle they had in (can't remember the model) where the owner was basically complaining it was possessed. The doors would lock and unlock while he was driving. The wipers would turn on. All kinds of weird poo poo.

He dropped off the car and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Top to bottom everything checked out and they couldn't reproduce the problem. Guy picks up the car and he's good. A few days later they get a call that it's happening again. Bring it in again, can't find anything wrong.

This continues for some time until the owner puts two and two together. His car would act possessed and do all kinds of weird electrical gremlins every time his wife texted him an emoji.

Emjois were causing wipers to turn on and door locks to go crazy. Emjois, to the sync system.

We're doomed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Japan's just playing the real long game with industrial sabotage.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I don't mind if it means I can buy those features afterwards permanently. Around here cars are taxed 200% so every optional extra on the time of delivery also costs 200% more. If it's bought after market it should have less tax (just the 20% or so VAT) => more features for cheaper and I can pick and choose what I want instead of it either being baked in a special edition or whatever.

I remember sitting in a new Mercedes that had this sort of "app shop" too where I could've bought stuff like Spotify and seat warmers some time ago.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I feel justified in my burning hatred of modern BMW

Is it burning enough not to need heated seats?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Just connect the heater wires to a battery.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kivi posted:

I don't mind if it means I can buy those features afterwards permanently. Around here cars are taxed 200% so every optional extra on the time of delivery also costs 200% more. If it's bought after market it should have less tax (just the 20% or so VAT) => more features for cheaper and I can pick and choose what I want instead of it either being baked in a special edition or whatever.

I remember sitting in a new Mercedes that had this sort of "app shop" too where I could've bought stuff like Spotify and seat warmers some time ago.

This is not for your benefit and you will not save money, this is exclusively to line BMW's pockets because they want to extract more money. There is zero justification for this, you can not find one without stockholming one up.
This is a completely alien outlook to me and I am floored everytime I see it out in the wild like this :psyduck:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can sort of understand under the context of "Cars are taxed to a crazy degree, so if I can buy it after the fact at a normal tax rate..." but of course that's not the case in the US so for us I say gently caress that noise.

But either way, somehow I feel like they won't put the ability to buy the feature outright on the table forever. I'm guessing either the original buyer ponies up for it, or they & subsequent owners get hosed with a subscription. And yea that's a pretty awful precedent to set, but it feels almost inevitable. Like if all the manufacturers just go "gently caress you guys, we're doing this" then we won't have much choice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

All that aside, what lovely BMW trim doesn't just have heated seats included? That's like an absolute bare minimum for a luxury car. My loving focus has heated seats.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BMW has a lot lower base spec vehicles in other countries.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

KillHour posted:

All that aside, what lovely BMW trim doesn't just have heated seats included? That's like an absolute bare minimum for a luxury car. My loving focus has heated seats.

Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes all do this bullshit and it's annoying. Even more so when the option is like $200.
No one spending 75k on a car is going to give a poo poo if it's $200 more for ventilated or heated seats. They should be just adding it to whatever dumb package they are selling or have it standard.

But on the other end, that's a huge pain in the rear end when trying to find a specific vehicle as who knows if the manufacturer or the dealership thought to do that check box on the build sheet?

I've seen vehicles like that on the lot. Had 18k in options but they forgot simple stuff like heated seat/ steering wheel, etc.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

BMW loves to hide basic things behind options packages. The rear camera on my F80 was part of the executive package for instance. Comfort access too. Both of which were standard on my 2017 GTI that was under $25k. That package was mandatory for me because of what it included.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes all do this bullshit and it's annoying. Even more so when the option is like $200.
No one spending 75k on a car is going to give a poo poo if it's $200 more for ventilated or heated seats. They should be just adding it to whatever dumb package they are selling or have it standard.

But on the other end, that's a huge pain in the rear end when trying to find a specific vehicle as who knows if the manufacturer or the dealership thought to do that check box on the build sheet?

I've seen vehicles like that on the lot. Had 18k in options but they forgot simple stuff like heated seat/ steering wheel, etc.

I do think it's stupid that BMW/Merc/Audi don't just come with all that poo poo out of the box. That's what you're paying for from a luxury brand: features & quality.

But I feel like Porsche is more of a "coach builder" who allows you to option anything & everything, as opposed to selling you a package. So from them I kinda expect to be able to pick and choose exactly what I want. Although they do take it to an insane degree by making you have to option even LED headlights or whatever lol.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This move by BMW is extremely disappointing. What other manufacturers are copying this business model now?

Cars as as service is something we have been conditioned to accept with the culture of leasing that we have with luxury vehicles. So the groundwork is already there because options are framed as adding $X per month to your lease payment as opposed to a raw dollar cost to a net purchase price. For the bread and butter majority of BMW customers unlocking features by software lets them achieve economies of scale for assets they'll repossess and sell onto the used buyers anyway. Most people aren't going to pay for a new BMW to own so they could care less about secondary buyers who aren't happy about this.

What I hope doesn't happen is that Honda, Toyota, etc decide to jump on the bandwagon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

This move by BMW is extremely disappointing. What other manufacturers are copying this business model now?

Cars as as service is something we have been conditioned to accept with the culture of leasing that we have with luxury vehicles. So the groundwork is already there because options are framed as adding $X per month to your lease payment as opposed to a raw dollar cost to a net purchase price. For the bread and butter majority of BMW customers unlocking features by software lets them achieve economies of scale for assets they'll repossess and sell onto the used buyers anyway. Most people aren't going to pay for a new BMW to own so they could care less about secondary buyers who aren't happy about this.

What I hope doesn't happen is that Honda, Toyota, etc decide to jump on the bandwagon.

Bad news, hombre. Toyota already tried making remote start, even with your regular car key remote, an $8 a month option. They disabled people's already working remote starting, and then said "$8 a month if you want it to work again"

They caught poo poo and walked it back, and Subaru saw that and figured the heat was worth the money, and locked a whole bunch of stuff behind Starlink, a monthly subscription service. Subaru is also disabling features in Massachusetts so they don't have to offer the tools to repair them. Punishing the people for wanting the right to repair.

Hopefully ford gets the AWD hybrid maverick out before they jump head first into this bullshit. They're starting to populate the roads here, and drat, that's a drat good little vehicle.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 13, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wasn't Toyota already pulling some bullshit with the key fob?

I feel like many brands will jump on it, but some cheaper brands won't because their customers can't afford it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bull3964 posted:

It will never not weird me out when ppl call bmw or merc or whatever a luxury brand

Premium maybe, but not luxury

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fridge corn posted:

It will never not weird me out when ppl call bmw or merc or whatever a luxury brand

Premium maybe, but not luxury

To the majority of us who don't subscribe to Wealth Magazine, everything above the mainstream brands is luxury

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

It was a classic dealer trick here to import special poverty spec e classes made for fleet/taxi purpose and sell them at standard spec prices to nouveau rich that never went into a merc so they didn't notice the cheap materials.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

To the majority of us who don't subscribe to Wealth Magazine, everything above the mainstream brands is luxury

BMW and merc are mainstream brands tho

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Franco Caution posted:

Or the vehicle was originally purchased somewhere where those options just aren't relevant. Who needs heated seats in Florida?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fridge corn posted:

BMW and merc are mainstream brands tho

What country do you live in?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

carry on then posted:

BMW 1-Series and Merc A-class are competitors to VW Golfs in most continental Europe, with interiors to match in base specs. You need to get into 7er individuals or Sclass in Maybach trim to get proper "luxury". There is a real "premium" bracket in-between luxury and mainstream, which most BMW and Merc belong, so does Maserati and Alfa just to give alternative premium but not luxury brands.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
So what are you counting as luxury then? Bentley, RR and uhh?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

PBCrunch posted:

Or the vehicle was originally purchased somewhere where those options just aren't relevant. Who needs heated seats in Florida?

I've used mine and my heated steering wheel. Had a couple days last winter it was down to freezing in Orlando.

Probably wouldn't pay extra for a few days use of it but I do use mine.

Now my cooled seats... Those I have on almost every day of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

Uk