Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
That he's the only one talking speaks volumes tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Shines is on reddit posting about how we clearly need to follow due process and investigate. Nevermind that the issue is that this wasn't investigated properly and Mittens assumed the victim was a liar and is unapologetic about it in the most disgusting ways.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

andromache posted:

Rydis walked dogs for a living and took poo poo from no man. She was bae.

Yeah but her brain was fried cause she was hooked up with ish

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jenrai posted:

Shines is on reddit posting about how we clearly need to follow due process and investigate. Nevermind that the issue is that this wasn't investigated properly and Mittens assumed the victim was a liar and is unapologetic about it in the most disgusting ways.

I realize that a lot of nerds have internalized to themselves that eve is a lot more important than it is but it really is just a video game and you can kick abusers/racists/etc out without calling a conclave of elders or whatever.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

I realize that a lot of nerds have internalized to themselves that eve is a lot more important than it is but it really is just a video game and you can kick abusers/racists/etc out without calling a conclave of elders or whatever.

The whole argument is just disingenuous and deflecting in the first place, your spoken truths notwithstanding. Turns out the safest way to protect women from abusers is to... Believe them????

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jenrai posted:

The whole argument is just disingenuous and deflecting in the first place, your spoken truths notwithstanding. Turns out the safest way to protect women from abusers is to... Believe them????

That’s pretty much been my take yes. Like sure pull jabber logs and do an interview with each person. In my experience people doing bad poo poo will hang themselves during a “talking to” roughly 100% of the time anyways.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Feliday Melody posted:

Could you tell this story?

I was and am just a line member, but I seem to remember that a few years after the Fountain War our skymarshal--the head of coord, not an FC--was a woman. Coord is a group that moves the fleets around the board, as opposed to FCs who run individual fleets. I don't recall the name, alas.

Edit: Someone mentioned the name earlier: it was Rydis, I believe. I don't know anything about her other than the general sense that she was very, very good at coord.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 12, 2022

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think a lot of the problem is that Eve (or any MMO) is extremely important if you have spent like 15 years (!) with it as the center of your social life, not to mention using it to try to make money and get famous. At some point you just care mainly about maintaining your status in it as some important guy because it is basically your adult life. In a grindy game like this one that almost has to come at the expense of ensuring the people you play with have fun or feel safe since we need max duddddeeees log in dickheads

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think a lot of the problem is that Eve (or any MMO) is extremely important if you have spent like 15 years (!) with it as the center of your social life, not to mention using it to try to make money and get famous. At some point you just care mainly about maintaining your status in it as some important guy because it is basically your adult life. In a grindy game like this one that almost has to come at the expense of ensuring the people you play with have fun or feel safe since we need max duddddeeees log in dickheads

yeah its this

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kchama posted:

He honestly comes off as if he wants to jerk off to it he's so creepily demanding about it.

I mean, it's globby. Dude lives to harass people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a single alliance of decent people in nullsec or is this basically like Hearts of Iron multiplayer now

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a single alliance of decent people in nullsec or is this basically like Hearts of Iron multiplayer now

I'm in Pandemic Horde and there are no gamerwords

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

When I was in the Active Army. We called those people LIFERS (Lazy Ignorant Fuckers Expecting Retirement). It's the same self entitlement I had seen from my past. People with power demanding the best knee and the ring kissed. And when something is presented differently they censor the speech or the person.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oops, All Grifters Or White Supremacists Or Abusers (Or The People Who Lie For Them For Maximum Fleet Size)

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
I've said this repeatedly, but this was the best cult I ever escaped. I'm overly helpful, even when people don't want the help. Like moving a dread cache over a period of a week, only to get booted after it's moved, and then purged entirely when I revealed it got moved. Hence the term 'Kismeteering', interfering where I'm not wanted.

I was being poo poo on three times a day by three different people in Goons. Every day was a new group.

I then moved to an alliance where I was being poo poo on three times a day by a single person.

Now I'm in Horde and I've had three people total be an rear end in a top hat to me, and two are gone, with the third basically recently quitting eve.

I was looking for a way out, though I didn't know it. It's hard to walk away from so many great people inside goons. But the best ones I kept as friends. I've messaged two of them that are girls about this thread. And the ones who get mad about what I did, maybe they were not friends after all so no great loss.

There is live outside of goons in eve. Seriously. Lots of great groups out there. It's just hard to be the first to escape the Scientology of eve, where you get purged if you disagree, that uses identity politics as a weapon, and that The Mittani wasn't above asking the maker of garpa to put a backdoor into his software to gather intel. Though he told me he refused, he quit the project. I never used Garpa after that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hezzy posted:

nah, I've spied Horde before, you are amongst the worst

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

really, if this kind of stuff makes you uncomfortable, you need to not be in Panfam

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

goninzo posted:

I've said this repeatedly, but this was the best cult I ever escaped. I'm overly helpful, even when people don't want the help. Like moving a dread cache over a period of a week, only to get booted after it's moved, and then purged entirely when I revealed it got moved. Hence the term 'Kismeteering', interfering where I'm not wanted.

I was being poo poo on three times a day by three different people in Goons. Every day was a new group.

I then moved to an alliance where I was being poo poo on three times a day by a single person.

Now I'm in Horde and I've had three people total be an rear end in a top hat to me, and two are gone, with the third basically recently quitting eve.

I was looking for a way out, though I didn't know it. It's hard to walk away from so many great people inside goons. But the best ones I kept as friends. I've messaged two of them that are girls about this thread. And the ones who get mad about what I did, maybe they were not friends after all so no great loss.

There is live outside of goons in eve. Seriously. Lots of great groups out there. It's just hard to be the first to escape the Scientology of eve, where you get purged if you disagree, that uses identity politics as a weapon, and that The Mittani wasn't above asking the maker of garpa to put a backdoor into his software to gather intel. Though he told me he refused, he quit the project. I never used Garpa after that.
this dude got poo poo on because he was a super obnoxious busybody and bad poster not for anything else he's trying to say

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Are we all moving to BRAVE then?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

This thread just got me to win Eve, so, small miracles I guess.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

nah, I've spied Horde before, you are amongst the worst

I've been in Horde since March, previously TEST. There are no endemic issues with line members that I have seen. Everyone is really friendly and helpful.

There's been no elitism and no drama. But then again, Horde absorbed a lot of corps from TEST in the past 6 months which is maybe why it's better... just saying ;)

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 12, 2022

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hezzy posted:

You do realize that literally half of us have had characters in horde at any given moment and know this for the lie it is.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
It might be the fact it’s 2am and I’ve basically been non stop involved with this for the last 4 days.

But I’m not even angry any more. I was really angry. But decided to just send a final vaguely unfunny ping, self purge my roles, drop corp, and then uninstall jabber.

I’ve been playing this game on and off for literally half my life. Been in the alliance, again on and off, since 2011. I got made a director during the war. Did some cool stuff. Made a lot of cool friends. hosed around, found out. Got to FC Supercaps and that was cool. Spent way too many nights up at 3am protecting 1DQ.

But I’m just kind of…. Idk. empty.

Not really what I was expecting to happen when I made this entry in the “to discuss” section of this weeks ilum meeting, I don’t know what I was expecting, not this I guess. Because now I’m just sad.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Rhymenoserous posted:

You do realize that literally half of us have had characters in horde at any given moment and know this for the lie it is.

I'm just stating what my experience of Horde is. I've no reason to lie. My corp swapped from TEST to Horde in March. I've been nothing but impressed with Horde since. I think it's a good environment.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

i for one am surprised that goonfleet is overlapping with the youtube algorithm amber heard reaction video gamers

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

goninzo posted:

Kismeteer I always liked you but you know drat well that you weren’t booted for “helping to move things”

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Rhymenoserous posted:

Kismeteer I always liked you but you know drat well that you weren’t booted for “helping to move things”

This is pretty well documented before.

1. I moved dreads for people, tiberizzle and others. Innominate and myself were the ones who did all that work from yao.
2. I was tired and confused, so was booted from that SIG that I helped moved them for.
3. I got mad and changed the name of the station.
4. Sent a screenshot of what I could have done, but didn't do, including stealing those dreads.
5. Continued to help evac gsol stuff from deklein.
6. The boot

Either way, glad I escaped.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

goninzo posted:

3. I got mad and changed the name of the station.

To "dread cache here." During a war.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's p. funny, ngl.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gets posted:

That's p. funny, ngl.

Yeah, it's one of the more creative fuckgoons I've seen in the decade and change I've been paying attention to the game. Most people just steal stuff.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, it's one of the more creative fuckgoons I've seen in the decade and change I've been paying attention to the game. Most people just steal stuff.

It’s one of the most petty and passive aggressive things I never would have thought to do. In other words, peak kismeteer.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The best one was that guy that stole our own corporate hanger then put a fire sale thread up in our very own forums.

Gwailar
Jun 21, 2021

Bob Socko posted:

This thread just got me to win Eve, so, small miracles I guess.

I won EVE two months ago. Wrote a big post about it on INN. With this latest, I definitely have no regrets about quitting.

My one regret is that I let myself ignore the blurring of the lines between bad behavior "in game" and bad behavior out of it. I like role playing games. Being part of the Imperium, bending the knee to Mittens, spouting "PBUH" on Reddit, and telling all the pubbies to get hosed was fun roleplaying. Being part of a fiercely loyal, take-no-prisoners-and-give-no-fucks space tribe made EVE way more fun, and for the entire time I was there, Mittens' outlandish, profane, aggressive, irreverent persona was a big part of the cultural foundation for the whole experience. A give-no-fucks space empire needs a give-no-fucks space emperor.

But for me, all the insults and hellwarfare were just part of the game. On a personal level, I was friends with "enemies" like PGL. Banter and bullshit on Reddit and in Local all day long, but it's nothing personal. It's just part of the game.

But looking back, I think I could always tell that for Mittens (and maybe others, but most obviously for Mittens because he was most public), the line between "in game dick" and "out of game normal person" wasn't as clear. It wasn't just RPGish banter and bullshit for him the way it was for me. I needed a Mittani to make my game work, so I followed the Mittani as part of my game, and I purposefully overlooked and didn't think about the real-world implications of a man living and talking this way all the time. "Not my life. Not my problem."

Except I was happy to coattail along for my own enjoyment.

The lesson learned for me is that in a game like EVE where being cruel and merciless is a necessary part of the cold, heartless PvP, the community needs to be careful to distinguish between in-game and out-of-game behavior and enforce expectations accordingly. This can be really hard when (for example) scams involve building real trust with real people only to gently caress them over. But it's extremely important. You can lose yourself in a game like this where being a terrible person is a necessary part of the game. (EVE doesn't work if there isn't war.) But there's no excuse for being a terrible person in real life, ever.

I think GSF--and Mittens in particular--has lost sight of this.

EDIT: Brisc's Fountain Frank actually comes to mind as a good way this separation could be done right. If Alex can't separate "galactic edgelord The Mittani" from "decent and nice person Alex", then that's an Alex problem that needs to be talked about.

Gwailar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 12, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

also, its perfect cammo. They probably worked for months to find it. Who would expect us to just...tweet it out?

plus kismeteer had the best sig on goonfleet forums

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

lol

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

andromache posted:

It’s one of the most petty and passive aggressive things I never would have thought to do. In other words, peak kismeteer.

True, but there's some brilliance to it, I've always thought. (Regardless of whatever intent was there.) Like, consider the typical fuckgoons theft. Sure, the affected people (or potentially a corp/the alliance) are out assets, but you can replace assets by converting other resources to the assets. Sympathizers can pick up the slack, the state can right the wrong, etc. However, what he nullified wasn't assets -- it was strategic advantage. You can't buy your way into strategic advantage. It's irreplaceable. Nullifying strategic advantage is a far greater amount of damage to inflict. I consider the whole thing a work of beauty, despite the fact that I was among the aggrieved in the process. Gotta respect craft where it's demonstrated.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Solus posted:

It might be the fact it’s 2am and I’ve basically been non stop involved with this for the last 4 days.

But I’m not even angry any more. I was really angry. But decided to just send a final vaguely unfunny ping, self purge my roles, drop corp, and then uninstall jabber.

I’ve been playing this game on and off for literally half my life. Been in the alliance, again on and off, since 2011. I got made a director during the war. Did some cool stuff. Made a lot of cool friends. hosed around, found out. Got to FC Supercaps and that was cool. Spent way too many nights up at 3am protecting 1DQ.

But I’m just kind of…. Idk. empty.

Not really what I was expecting to happen when I made this entry in the “to discuss” section of this weeks ilum meeting, I don’t know what I was expecting, not this I guess. Because now I’m just sad.

A clean break is still a break. You went in to fight and the system ground you down.

You tried in a way well beyond anyone else. That counts for a lot.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Coming out of retirement for this epic thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m in empire flying with Russians and a stoned dude who once FCed his own apoc and orca carrying his own station core into a WH bubble, after screaming “help help jump jump” after his cov ops got stuck in it, and then lost the replacement naked orca in that low sec short cut between jita and rens and the whole thing happened in the space of 18 minutes, and it’s amazing how fun this game can be with no leaders or power structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I’m in empire flying with Russians and a stoned dude who once FCed his own apoc and orca carrying his own station core into a WH bubble, after screaming “help help jump jump” after his cov ops got stuck in it, and then lost the replacement naked orca in that low sec short cut between jita and rens and the whole thing happened in the space of 18 minutes, and it’s amazing how fun this game can be with no leaders or power structure.

See I like power structures to be in place, I just think ours kinda sucks and makes a lot of bad decisions. It’s maybe time for a new figurehead. It’s probably been time for that for a good while.