Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Somehow FF6 has fourteen characters and only three of them are women. One is unknown.

Every Final Fantasy from 4 through 13 has exactly three female characters in the main cast, it's a weird pattern. This counts both for 6, which has a massive cast of mostly dudes, and 5, which has only five characters putting girls in the majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

I'll give you Camellia, but Wenduag is cool and good True Neutral (eventually) and the best friend/romantic interest your PC can have :colbert:

I don't get why you would pointlessly lie to the mongrels. She subscribes to everyone's favorite faux-philosophical excuse to be a raging rear end in a top hat, social darwinism, that suffering and pain makes you stronger and hope makes you weak.

I killed her in act five with no remorse.

It's truly impressive writing to make Lann the preferable choice in my eyes, but they managed it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Morpheus posted:

Somehow FF6 has fourteen characters and only three of them are women. One is unknown.

It’s been known for decades that Gogo is actually the long-deceased governor of Illinois Adlai Stevenson

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Every Final Fantasy from 4 through 13 has exactly three female characters in the main cast, it's a weird pattern. This counts both for 6, which has a massive cast of mostly dudes, and 5, which has only five characters putting girls in the majority.

Mainline, at least. Tactics has a fairly equal spread originally, if you count characters recruited through plot and sidequests. Seeing as basically everyone aside from Ramza drops from the plot basically immediately after getting recruited (since anyone aside from him can die permanently, and the game continues), it doesn't really matter that Ladd, Lavian, and Alicia don't have any plot signficance. That makes for 7 men, 6 women, and 3 characters under the genderless system monsters use. WotL bumps the guys up by two, with the additions of Luso and Balthier.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenebrais posted:

I just realized, this counts for 14 as well. Since the day the game added the ability to run dungeons with NPC companions instead of player parties, there have only been three female companions for dungeons who aren't one-off guest stars who can't be used again afterwards. Then one of those three was left behind as the game moved to its next expansion, bringing the total number of female NPCs you can bring with you down to two.

And with four-person groups you could never do an all-girl team because every single female party member is a DPS character (parties in FF14 are locked to one tank, one healer, two dps), save for one special one-time-only plot character who can only be used in a mode where she's the only available female party member alongside two dudes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, you're absolutely right, the only examples against that are ones that have to make 'well technically/if you look at it from this angle caveats. Like the first two Paper Mario games only let you have one partner fighting in your team so technically that also counts too right? Otherwise it's all just SPRGs that have gigantic lists of playable characters like Suikoden, Fire Emblem or Disgaea.

Paper Mario TTYD does actually have a majority-female party counting the hidden character. (And the implications in the Japanese version that Vivian is a trans woman)

And weirdly enough, every one of them has kissed Mario.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Paper Mario TTYD does actually have a majority-female party counting the hidden character. (And the implications in the Japanese version that Vivian is a trans woman)

And weirdly enough, every one of them has kissed Mario.

Nobody kisses Luigi :(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

#smoochesforluigi

Ttyd is the one where Luigi is having his own cool side adventure right?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yeah! He shows up in Rogueport after every chapter with a new companion talking about his latest adventure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And he publishes books about them. Gets interesting where the books clearly and implicitly take liberties.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

luigi the unreliable narrator, written by gene wolfe

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God, I really need to play TYD at some point. You’d think I’d done it already considering how much I liked 64, but life’s weird like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is about unreliable narrator is that while it's associated with pretension it's really good for comedy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best part of Luigi's journey is that there's two layers of unreliable narrator.

When you meet him in Rogueport and hear his stories, he's almost always with one of his companions. And after talking to Luigi and hearing his amazing journey, you can talk to the companion and learn that Luigi's usually glossing over some details that confirm he's having a slightly less successful time than he suggests. (Except in the chapter where Luigi has to participate in a play, where the partner confirms that Luigi actually did knock his role as a tuft of grass out of the goddamn park.)

And then you read the novelizations of his story and it got embellished even harder.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

What about when you wear the L badge

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like it when games diegetically call out the video-gamey stuff you character gets up to, like in Ys IX where one of your companions is basically "Holy poo poo can you stop saying 'yes' to literally every request that comes out way???". Or in Disco Elysium when Kim describes the Jamrock Shuffle, an act of hurrying from container to container to root out every piece of possibly-useful junk in eacc of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I like it when games diegetically call out the video-gamey stuff you character gets up to, like in Ys IX where one of your companions is basically "Holy poo poo can you stop saying 'yes' to literally every request that comes out way???". Or in Disco Elysium when Kim describes the Jamrock Shuffle, an act of hurrying from container to container to root out every piece of possibly-useful junk in eacc of them.

YS IX's best to me is when you get the ultimate weapon one of your dialog options is "Im just gonna lose this soon, aren't I?"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

This happens in Nier Replicant. There’s a quest NPC that openly mocks you for it but knows you’ll say “yes” anyway

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like there multiple instances of Nier basically being belittled by quest givers for being the dumbass who just does anything you ask him because he’s hard up for money. It almost makes up for how grindy some (well, a lot) of them tend to be.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ffxiv basically treats low-level adventurers like eager errand runners, to the point where at least one disgruntled npc spends half their quest intro dialogue wearily asking you to go away and find work somewhere else

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oxxidation posted:

ffxiv basically treats low-level adventurers like eager errand runners, to the point where at least one disgruntled npc spends half their quest intro dialogue wearily asking you to go away and find work somewhere else

One of the best job questlines in the base game for me is Paladin, largely because the entire story arc is that the NPC you report to doesn't actually want to be in a position where he has to recruit random dipshit adventurers to their order and is just looking for an opportunity to fire you and call it a mistake, only for you to constantly be too good at this poo poo for him to get away with that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

One of the best job questlines in the base game for me is Paladin, largely because the entire story arc is that the NPC you report to doesn't actually want to be in a position where he has to recruit random dipshit adventurers to their order and is just looking for an opportunity to fire you and call it a mistake, only for you to constantly be too good at this poo poo for him to get away with that.

Paladin's the one where one of the expansion (I think it might be HW?) questlines ends with basically What does it all mean? I have no idea! Fin right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Paladin's the one where one of the expansion (I think it might be HW?) questlines ends with basically What does it all mean? I have no idea! Fin right?

Yes, Paladin's job questline drops so far in quality in HW that they just stopped following those characters entirely and went back to the Gladiators afterwards. But ARR's had some fun to it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morpheus posted:

The best parts of Witcher are when Geralt rolls his eyes and groans about having to do sidequests

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Opopanax posted:

The best parts of Witcher are when Geralt rolls his eyes and groans about having to do sidequests

They’re also great because sometimes you start out looking for a lost dog or something and then uncover some political plot by corrupt nobles that are actually literal monsters or whatever

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Kit Walker posted:

They’re also great because sometimes you start out looking for a lost dog or something and then uncover some political plot by corrupt nobles that are actually literal monsters or whatever

lol I thought you're talking about Crusader Kings series

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I like it when games diegetically call out the video-gamey stuff you character gets up to, like in Ys IX where one of your companions is basically "Holy poo poo can you stop saying 'yes' to literally every request that comes out way???".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started playing The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age partially because it was cheap but partially because following 6 losers who were just missing the main characters is a fun idea to me, and I like how they intertwine. Like in Moria when Pippin knocks the corpse down the well, you are at the bottom of that very well and find an item on that corpse. That's cute. I also like how it mostly avoids grinding because most areas don't have random encounters, only a few level segments do. Most encounters are fixed. Also the unique pieces of armour make exploration worth it as you might get a new axe for the dwarf or a new breastplate for the elf. Finally, while I haven't engaged with it yet, evil mode sounds like a fun time.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Started playing The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age partially because it was cheap but partially because following 6 losers who were just missing the main characters is a fun idea to me, and I like how they intertwine. Like in Moria when Pippin knocks the corpse down the well, you are at the bottom of that very well and find an item on that corpse. That's cute. I also like how it mostly avoids grinding because most areas don't have random encounters, only a few level segments do. Most encounters are fixed. Also the unique pieces of armour make exploration worth it as you might get a new axe for the dwarf or a new breastplate for the elf. Finally, while I haven't engaged with it yet, evil mode sounds like a fun time.

Oh man, I wish we'd get an episode of What Happen about its development as I'm sure it was crazy. It's got a great soundtrack (since all of the music is 100% lifted from Howard Shore's score) and it apes FFX's combat system pretty competently, plus Sir Ian McKellen reprises his role as Gandalf I believe, plus the devs went to the trouble of having every piece of gear have a unique appearance on your characters, down to the rings. But on the other hand the story is silly rear end nonsense (which imo passes through the stupid threshold into amazing) and you can watch the money run out in real time as you start the game in explorable zones which shrink down over time until eventually you're just literally fighting gauntlets of enemies without any map exploration to speak of.

It also gave us this little moment which I still to this day find hilarious for how silly it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyL-b_Yh5fk&t=1066s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Oh man, I wish we'd get an episode of What Happen about its development as I'm sure it was crazy. It's got a great soundtrack (since all of the music is 100% lifted from Howard Shore's score) and it apes FFX's combat system pretty competently, plus Sir Ian McKellen reprises his role as Gandalf I believe, plus the devs went to the trouble of having every piece of gear have a unique appearance on your characters, down to the rings. But on the other hand the story is silly rear end nonsense (which imo passes through the stupid threshold into amazing) and you can watch the money run out in real time as you start the game in explorable zones which shrink down over time until eventually you're just literally fighting gauntlets of enemies without any map exploration to speak of.

It also gave us this little moment which I still to this day find hilarious for how silly it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyL-b_Yh5fk&t=1066s

I'm familiar with games that just ran out of money, I did an LP of Ghosthunter a few years ago that as the game goes on the stories become less elaborate (the opening level at the Swamp has a FANTASTIC story, the Ghost Ship is competent and ties together well, but then the Prison kind of slams too different stories together back to back), entire plot beats get introduced only to completely disappear immediately and just before the final level you are getting cutscenes with characters liek the council of ghosts that the villain reports to but they've never appeared before and never appear again in the game. There are some cool setpieces though like a brilliant use of poltergeists who team up to build a truckasaurus that acts as the boss of the junk yard, that you defeat by avoiding it's attacks and capturing the poltergeists scattered across it's body.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember playing this game with my sister and my cousin when we were kids, each of us making the decisions for one of the team of 3 active. My sister played the elf, I think, and considered it her job to keep everyone healed, while I played the dwarf. About two thirds of the way through the game I tried a skill on the dwarf that put up some kind of rune shield that was terribly balanced and made the party effectively invincible, and my sister got real pissed off at me whenever I used it because then she couldn't heal anybody (because we didn't need it.) Good times.

Edit: Also, plot spoilers, but the game literally ends with your party fighting Sauron. As in, his giant flaming eyeball, on top of the tower. You hit it and it shoots laser beams at you or something, then you beat it and win the game. It was so laughably "Oh poo poo we ran out of money and ideas."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the only JRPGs I've ever played with fall damage for the enemies. It's legitimately possible to knock an enemy off a cliff and call that a victory. It's not exactly a viable strategy most of the time, since knockback effects aren't super reliable and the boss fight arenas almost all take place in enclosed arenas anyway, but it is very fun when it happens.

Incidentally, there's a boss fight late in the game that happens when the boss in question breaks into another boss fight by smashing a hole in the floor. They never call much attention to the fact that's what he did, but sure enough the hole is there as set dressing.

What I'm trying to say is I uppercut the Fantasy Pope into a bottomless pit the exact size and shape of a Fantasy Pope.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Every game should have fall damage to all characters and also door-in-the-face damage if someone gets smashed with a door in the face. Yes, even Tetris, Fifa, and Zork, I said "every game".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every game should have fall damage to all characters and also door-in-the-face damage if someone gets smashed with a door in the face. Yes, even Tetris, Fifa, and Zork, I said "every game".

Don't know if you've ever watched a game of football/soccer but there's definitely temporary fall damage when a player goes down.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Resident Evil 4 did a good job with this. Even a group of enemies on the other side of a door can be disabled if you time it right and don't dawdle.

Kicking a door into an enemy in RE4 knocks them to their knees, opening them up for an uninterruptable, invincible suplex. This suplex can also stagger enemies close to it.

Wait for your moment, kick the door, suplex one guy, shoot another in the leg, kick them to stagger the rest, run away, pirouette, shoot another in the leg, kick to stagger, knife them all on the ground.

Very high risk, very high reward.

e: State of Decay has a dedicated car door opening button. Open car doors are super effective weapons. You can spend a whole day's scavanging carefully husbanding car door health to save ammo. Loose the door though, and it takes at least a night to repair.

GTA 4 was the first GTA where doors were a physical object. Much fun to be had bowling for peds. Now we're on year 9 of GTA V, with no way to pop the driver's door open while driving. Wtf, R*?

madeintaipei has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Jul 12, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

madeintaipei posted:

GTA 4 was the first GTA where doors were a physical object. Much fun to be had bowling for peds. Now we're on year 9 of GTA V, with no way to pop the driver's door open while driving. Wtf, R*?

The GTA 3 games had the doors be physical, but didn't have the fun ragdolls. So while it was easy to prop the doors open it wasn't as "rewarding". IIRC Sleeping Dogs let you prop the door open as part of the Aerial Hi-jack action, so you were always driving while hanging halfway outside the car.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Log082 posted:

Edit: Also, plot spoilers, but the game literally ends with your party fighting Sauron. As in, his giant flaming eyeball, on top of the tower. You hit it and it shoots laser beams at you or something, then you beat it and win the game. It was so laughably "Oh poo poo we ran out of money and ideas."

Seems to me that they too many ideas. Also, it's kinda funny that according to that game Frodo achieved nothing and Sauron was defeated thanks to some idiots showing up at his tower and punch him to death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That LotR game was once described to me as the Sam's Choice Fellowship following behind the real Fellowship and I can't think of it any other way

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Seems to me that they too many ideas. Also, it's kinda funny that according to that game Frodo achieved nothing and Sauron was defeated thanks to some idiots showing up at his tower and punch him to death.

I just like to think of it as no one thought to try punching Sauron in the eye despite him not being an immortal killing machine, as shown by him losing when he had the ring in the first place. Or LotR was the fantasy equivilant of "Frodo disabled the nuke while this team tries to assassinate the dictator".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
How'd they even get up there!