Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ok so a friend of mine gave me his switch that he didn't want anymore. Wouldn't even take any money for it! Only has BotW for it, which I would have gotten anyway.

What other games should I get because there's a fuckload of them

What do you like to play? BotW is solid. Mario Odyssey is a great time.

Stardew Valley or My Time At Portia are great farm sims with some light dungeoneering that both make time disappear without being too brain intensive.

Super Mega Baseball 2 is a good time, too. Cartoony and not too serious, but actually pretty deep if you dig into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I can’t make it out on mobile, what’s poppin?

Also lol at the shirt

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Thin Foul Line

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ok so a friend of mine gave me his switch that he didn't want anymore. Wouldn't even take any money for it! Only has BotW for it, which I would have gotten anyway.

Tetris 99 while you decide what you want because it's free. Oh, or Fall Guys, also free now. What do you like? If you like stupid stories and RPG turn based tactical things Fire Emblem 3 Houses or the new one would be good. If you like Mario Kart, well, Mario Kart. Super Smash Bros is a whole thing I'm unfamiliar with.

The bad thing about the switch is nothing you want ever goes on sale. And if it does it doesn't go on sale as much as it should. It's a nice little platform but you're going to be paying for whatever you want to play.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
As far as what I like - definitely RPGs, turn based or not. The Fire Emblem games look interesting and I'm definitely going to play BotW.

I'll get some extra controllers and some of the Mario Party stuff because those games while people are over are a blast.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Joey Freshwater posted:

Follow Fiz's advice, but when you're done I'd say the must-haves are Super Mario Odyssey (the best Mario since 64, just...don't go for 100% unless you really really wanna), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (this game has lasted like 8 years plus more tracks are coming overdue where the gently caress are they Nintendo), and Metroid Dread.

Other games will probably vary by taste but a successor to Wii Sports just came out so that might be a good option too.

e: for indie games definitely grab Celeste and Hollow Knight if you don't have them already.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 12, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

As far as what I like - definitely RPGs, turn based or not. The Fire Emblem games look interesting and I'm definitely going to play BotW.

I'll get some extra controllers and some of the Mario Party stuff because those games while people are over are a blast.

Definitely give BotW some time, I regret not doing it and bought way too many games too fast and never really finished any of them.

Mario Party is a hoot of course so good plan there.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Treat yourself to a pro controller if you didn't get one from your friend

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

e: You can setup email alerts for deals on games (and hardware) at https://www.dekudeals.com/

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Treat yourself to a pro controller if you didn't get one from your friend

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

e: You can setup email alerts for deals on games (and hardware) at https://www.dekudeals.com/

What’s this for? I guess if I’m playing on TV? Are the little ones too much of a pain with that setup? Guessing I wouldn’t use that if I was just playing as a handheld?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Should it surprise anyone he's a cop

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s this for? I guess if I’m playing on TV? Are the little ones too much of a pain with that setup? Guessing I wouldn’t use that if I was just playing as a handheld?

Yeah, if you have it hooked up to a TV the Pro controller is worth every dollar.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I still had my old GameCube controllers kicking around so I bought a cheap adapter and use those with my Switch a lot of the time. I have the kids use the GC controllers when possible* so that they don't get the Switch joy-cons all greasy. Anyway, if you like the Diablo series, I picked up the Switch version of Diablo 3 last month and it actually works amazingly well on a console. Would also second a lot of the games already mentioned like Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, and good indie games like Hades, Hollow Knight, and Stardew Valley.

*The Switch does have one more button than the GC, I think the little + button, but not all games use that one

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The James Webb images are incredible

https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1546877197583060993?t=nDa9qKb73PpIP2B_Me0Q6g&s=19

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I can’t make it out on mobile, what’s poppin?

Also lol at the shirt

No high fives given, looked like he tried to hurt the first kid's hand actually.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Should have had his pitcher throw at the kids head like a real man

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Re: switch chat the switch is great for in person jackbox stuff if you’re into that.
I bought a second dock and carrying case so I take it everywhere in case the mood strikes at gatherings.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
If you’re into Switch turn based RPGs, Mario + Rabbids is okay, but has a sequel coming soon that looks real good, so the original is on sale and probably worth picking up, and Dragon Quest XI is extremely happy and silly and cartoonish but in a charming kind of way. Otherwise Stardew Valley is my “play just one more turn/day and suddenly realize it’s been 4 hours IRL” go-to, and Hades is a banger of an action RPG and thread favorite.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a fusion of Shin Megami Tensei stylized combat except the demons that inhabit you are replaced with Fire Emblem characters, your crew work out of an Idol training studio and you fight interplanar beings with the power of music and excessive violence.

It's also not as cool as that sounds sadly, but hey, Persona 3-5 are coming to the switch in the next few months.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I feel like this is the correct audience for everyone to get today's framed.wtf on the first frame

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Dragon Quest Builders 2!

e:

Intruder posted:

I feel like this is the correct audience for everyone to get today's framed.wtf on the first frame

:hmmyes:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

I think I've only watched it once ever and still got it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

My instant reaction was oh it's Kingpin! but then went, oh of course it's the other one

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Intruder posted:

This is one of those movies I’m absolutely the insufferable kind of fan of and I won’t apologize

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

My instant reaction was oh it's Kingpin! but then went, oh of course it's the other one

I did the exact same thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yesterday's was better. It was a far off picture of a boat in dock with smoke pouring from it and I got it instantaneously.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Yesterday's was better. It was a far off picture of a boat in dock with smoke pouring from it and I got it instantaneously.

Which was yesterdays? I can’t even remember if I got it or not.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Which was yesterdays? I can’t even remember if I got it or not.

Usual Suspects. The first image was a far away shot that I don't even remember from the movie but I was like, oh that's totally the boat.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah I make a new farm in Stardew like every 6 months for last couple years, it’s my new Skyrim. Wife’s big on Portia now, she’s more into crafting, surprised she hasn’t bought the sequel yet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I gussed Prometheus first on Saturday's and it turned out ot be Alien Covenant which I've never seen so I didn't get it until the actual picture of the alien since I knew it wasn't any of the other Alien movies

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Usual Suspects. The first image was a far away shot that I don't even remember from the movie but I was like, oh that's totally the boat.

Oh yeah, I got that on the second picture which I think was the broken mug or something.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Well my inperson meeting got moved to zoom because a kid threatened to come back to that office and shoot it up. Spoiler alert: they did, in fact, come back to the office but I don't know if they had a weapon on them or not.

I also might have to dumb super last minute rules lawyery bullshit because a different office keeps getting wishy washy attorneys. It's my least favorite part of my new job.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I borrow Braks’ switch just to play PacMan 99.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

You can also use it when you’re playing in tabletop mode but also the Joy-Cons kinda suck as far as longevity goes so it’s nice to have the Pro on hand if they start to act up

Also damnit I didn’t realize Fall Guys finally made it to switch gonna have to download that

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I got tired of hand cramps in handheld mode on my switch so I got a gooseneck tablet holder that clips to my side table and use the pro controller

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Spoeank posted:

I got tired of hand cramps in handheld mode on my switch so I got a gooseneck tablet holder that clips to my side table and use the pro controller

i got some replacement joy con things that are a lot more ergonomic and make playing in handheld mode much less painful: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Machina-Ergonomic-Controller-Handheld/dp/B07T5QKKVP

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

bobjr posted:

Is DARE still around? You'd think they'd love how contact with a container drugs might be in is enough to hospitalize you.

It very much is. Our 11 year old had DARE last school year.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1546561808726630401?t=OXkA54Q5jPG4I-wrrqnUzw&s=19

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

One of my buddies just texted the group to let us know his dad passed away yesterday. Liver cancer where his kidneys shut down so it was a rapid decline from diagnosis to death.

My dad passed away when I was 19 and he reached out ask for grieving advice. It's so much worse when someone else is going through it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Fire Emblem 3 Houses is good if you like strategy games, I liked the first Zelda Warriors game, haven't played it but the second one is a BotW prequel, if you regularly can play with friends Mario Kart 8 is a must, if you mostly game alone it just depends how much you like playing Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Well my inperson meeting got moved to zoom because a kid threatened to come back to that office and shoot it up. Spoiler alert: they did,

:stare:

quote:

in fact, come back to the office but I don't know if they had a weapon on them or not.

ohthankgod