Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I looked it up and it was this move, yeah, great recollection for a game so big:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE&t=89s

Was just unexpected and cool to see an attack you had to physically get out of the way of, although looking at it now I guess the jumping's not really something you choose to do so much as you are being jump-ed so to speak. I also like the warning markers on the ground which you juke semi-regularly, would be cool if more regular enemies did it more often but I get the game would be very different if you had every class moving around all the time.

if you thought that was neat you should see some of the endgame raid data!

https://twitter.com/xiv_stats/status/1515057377355210756?t=U5NXeGQKMoJXajf1_vQjXA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

credburn posted:

Wait, what? You can buy... I assume with real money... the ability to skip the story parts?

This feels so gross. It's like winking at the player winking at the developer.

Each expansion has its own skip. $25 each, I understand they make most of their money with those on people either tired of ARR being bad, or people making alts. Because they're per-character. So to jump straight to the current content that's $100 for story skips, $25 to jump to level 80. You can't skip the newest expansion yet.

Coeus posted:

if you thought that was neat you should see some of the endgame raid data!

https://twitter.com/xiv_stats/status/1515057377355210756?t=U5NXeGQKMoJXajf1_vQjXA&s=19

A lot of the end game content is designed in a frustrating way, to me at least. For people who are good at the game you get a lot of "Get Good" style remarks; but you see, up until the end game content the game basically trains you for mechanics by showing you a variety of markers and indicators. So say there's an orange circle or line, you know not to stand in that orange circle or line because that's where the attack will be. For end game content though? gently caress you because if you see that orange circle or line, it's already too late and you're dead now, you literally have to be moving into the correct positions before the attack indicators are even up. This leads to a lot of end game, and especially savage tier, content being more structured and less random with many of them being so pattern oriented it's literally just a matter of remembering the spots you have to stand in order (or just using one of the WoW style mods that tell you where to go based on the bosses AI) as opposed to the lower difficulties where you have time to react but the bosses tend to be more random in what attacks they might use. It leads to situations where it feels like you either have to be psychic, or enter a fight for the first time having done so much research on the boss that you might as well be because if you don't know their pattern by heart it's going to suck due to how fast some mechanics come out and it's not very fun.

Like there's a couple reoccurring mechanics in the game for ice and fire themed bosses, with ice bosses you'll where you'll get a debuff that makes you freeze if you don't constantly move and with fire bosses you'll get a debuff that makes you take damage if you move at all. In higher tiers of difficulty in later expansions this translates to if you aren't already moving when you get the debuff, which is cast on you the instant the pattern changes, you're frozen and die instantly, or alternatively if you are moving the instant the debuff is cast on you, which again is instant when the pattern changes, you explode and die. So unless you know exactly what the pattern is, you're hosed when you fight a boss that swaps between doing the cold and the fire. Especially when, rather than suggesting anything that might help, most people just condescendingly say you should know this mechanic already from X boss back in ARR where the debuff had an entire dramatic voice line every time the boss cast it on you and it took like ten seconds of movement or inaction for it to actually take effect.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Each expansion has its own skip. $25 each, I understand they make most of their money with those on people either tired of ARR being bad, or people making alts. Because they're per-character. So to jump straight to the current content that's $100 for story skips, $25 to jump to level 80. You can't skip the newest expansion yet.

Each skip takes you all the way, so it's just $25 for the story skip part.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Each skip takes you all the way, so it's just $25 for the story skip part.

Is it? I was always under the impression that if you got the shadow bringer skip and nothing else, it wouldn't complete ARR through stormblood.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Is it? I was always under the impression that if you got the shadow bringer skip and nothing else, it wouldn't complete ARR through stormblood.

The page on the shop for the shadowbringers skip says "Use this item to complete the main scenario of A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers."

Anyhow, it's not priority one for them, but they are incrementally improving ARR. A while back they cut some filler and a patch or two ago they revamped some of the dungeons to bring up to newer standards, and also made it possible to play them with NPCs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Paying $25 bux to not play a game sounds great

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'd like to find the fellow that coded the AI in Pokemon Shield's Dynamax Raids and give him a firm shake. My five-year-old has a better grasp of battle strategy than this.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Paying $25 bux to not play a game sounds great

I've been paying $0 to not play games. Send me $5 and I'll tell you how.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Nuebot posted:

people making alts

An "alt" is like a secondary character, right? One you don't normally play as? Do people in FFXIV make other characters to play as? I found that to be probably the thing I disliked most about FFXIV, is that you're just one character with all the jobs. I liked having multiple characters in an MMO, like this is Bingo my Fighter and over here is Snapper the Leather Tanner or whatever. I can't think of a reason to make an alternative character in this game since you're unrestricted :confused:

Actually, the biggest annoyance in FFXIV is an icon-based inventory system. Like, having to identify by sight which of these 80 hats in my inventory is the one I'm looking for is incredibly frustrating.

Unrelated but I discovered I have a Resident Evil: HD Remaster in my Steam library, so I installed it. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this isn't the REMake everyone loved. Or... did they remake it twice? Anyway, this basically feels like the original Resident Evil but they gave Jill the most awkward boob jiggle. They don't jiggle until she stops moving, and then it's like they do a weird heave, like whenever she stops running her tits have to run in place for a second.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Jul 12, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Unrelated but I discovered I have a Resident Evil: HD Remaster in my Steam library, so I installed it. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this isn't the REMake everyone loved. Or... did they remake it twice? Anyway, this basically feels like the original Resident Evil but they gave Jill the most awkward boob jiggle. They don't jiggle until she stops moving, and then it's like they do a weird heave, like whenever she stops running her tits have to run in place for a second.

That's just the updated re-release for REMake. Maybe the HD was for highly disconcerting boob physics.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm playing Per Aspera, which is a pretty chill game where you build factories and things on Mars. It's mostly like staring at a map while this story unfolds. For 5 hours the game was super chill, until Story Beats started happening, and now suddenly it's a very Not Chill game and is loving frustrating.

See, you have to constantly be monitoring how many worker drones you have, how much power is being spent, how many maintenance drones you have, and then also you have to make sure you have factories and mines producing all the material to keep this going. But then there is an incident where all of your buildings suddenly get damaged, severely. It's part of the plot. I don't know what triggers this -- I think it maybe based on where you are in research -- but I think I went overboard with my production. I think I have way more buildings than what the developers expect you to have at this point. I was having fun just expanding expanding expanding, and I didn't really focus on research until much later. So now that I have all these damaged buildings, I need to repair them, but I don't have nearly enough repair drones to keep up with repairing all that has been damaged. Plus, the repair drones only work if the worker drones are bringing them supplies. But the repair facilities won't work at all if they're too damaged... so now I'm having to build new repair facilities just so they will build repair drones so those repair drones will go fix the repair facilities. Meanwhile all my power plants are operating at 10% efficiency because of the damage, and there's not enough power to operate the repair facility construction and operation.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I feel like I was playing the game correctly; I certainly was flying by, rarely any concern with anything. The game felt easy to the point of being boring. Then suddenly there's a story beat and my game instantly becomes a fail state. I feel like the only thing I could have done to prevent this is to save my game ten minutes before the story beat and then build a fuckin ludicrous amount of repair facilities in anticipation of an event.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jul 12, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

An "alt" is like a secondary character, right? One you don't normally play as? Do people in FFXIV make other characters to play as? I found that to be probably the thing I disliked most about FFXIV, is that you're just one character with all the jobs. I liked having multiple characters in an MMO, like this is Bingo my Fighter and over here is Snapper the Leather Tanner or whatever. I can't think of a reason to make an alternative character in this game since you're unrestricted :confused:

Weirdo role players, and people who *must* have a certain race for a class.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Spiritfarer you can pet your cat, this isn't bad per se, but I have been burned by other games (A Plague Tale: Innocence and the Last of Us Part 2 ) and it is a game about death. So now I'm worried about the cat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I did because I wanted to see the different starts (which are based on your starting jobs) and yeah I wanted to mess around with the different races and the CB some more.

Not that the starts make much of a difference in the long run but eh.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alhazred posted:

In Spiritfarer you can pet your cat, this isn't bad per se, but I have been burned by other games (A Plague Tale: Innocence and the Last of Us Part 2 ) and it is a game about death. So now I'm worried about the cat.

You didn't think the giant elephant gun hanging in your character's room was just there as decoration, did you?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jesus the Uruk Hai in the 4th level in Lord of the Rings The Third Age do a TON of damage. It's an enormous increase in difficulty.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

credburn posted:

I’ve got some friends on an EU datacenter but I generally play on an NA datacenter. While they’re adding cross-datacenter play it isn’t going to be cross-region so I ended up making an EU alt. I can’t really think of anything else that would make me want an alt, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Weirdo role players, and people who *must* have a certain race for a class.

There are a few other advantages to having an alt; you get two more retainers (They're basically your personal bank and how you sell things on the market) without having to pay into square's insane retainer subscription service which makes it easier to game the market if you're one of those weirdos that really wants to try and corner certain products but also don't want to pay real money because the way square handles the market is weird and bad. Having multiple retainers also just nets you better chances of getting some rare, and very expensive, items from their timed passive venture things. But there's also some other, smaller, stuff some particularly weird people can worm out of the system since almost everything, in terms of reward, is character specific every time you make a new alt and do content you get another copy of everything. Just powering through the story alone will net you like 10 million gil at this point, so if you're someone with a lot of time on your hands but absolutely no talent at any of the other methods of gil farming then that's one way to make some cash.

Until recent updates you could also get your own alts to join your free company (a guild, for anyone not in the know on specific terms) and use that to pad out player count numbers so you could meet the minimum required amounts to buy a free company house and game the system wherein there are a literal limited number of actual plots so you could have your own private house just for yourself, and your own private free company house just for yourself. As well as apartments just for you and your alts because apartments are on a per-character basis and so on the big rp servers they actually ran out of apartments due to how many people would make like 8 alts and buy up all the apartments.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know it’s iconic to the series and all but the babytalk language in Klonoa is a little much, especially when you can’t read the dialogue at your own pace

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

BioEnchanted posted:

Jesus the Uruk Hai in the 4th level in Lord of the Rings The Third Age do a TON of damage. It's an enormous increase in difficulty.

Difficulty spikes drive me crazy, especially when the boundaries are razor thin.

I picked up mortal kombat 11 and it's fun as poo poo (because I will never ever touch online mode, except maybe with known friends)

Except I'm having trouble with random cpu enemy ai spikes. I'll smoke an opponent one round and get absolutely rolled the next. Nothing has changed, the game is just instantly, momentarily much harder. It's way worse in poo poo like oblivion or ff8 where you discover leveling up has hosed you badly

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Difficulty spikes drive me crazy, especially when the boundaries are razor thin.

I picked up mortal kombat 11 and it's fun as poo poo (because I will never ever touch online mode, except maybe with known friends)

Except I'm having trouble with random cpu enemy ai spikes. I'll smoke an opponent one round and get absolutely rolled the next. Nothing has changed, the game is just instantly, momentarily much harder. It's way worse in poo poo like oblivion or ff8 where you discover leveling up has hosed you badly

Ah, so nothing's changed since MK9, huh. Even on the easiest difficulty (because I'm a useless fool at fighting games) the story mode would unfalteringly go from piss easy to unfair but winnable to literally impossible every three fights.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

Ah, so nothing's changed since MK9, huh. Even on the easiest difficulty (because I'm a useless fool at fighting games) the story mode would unfalteringly go from piss easy to unfair but winnable to literally impossible every three fights.

Nothing changed since Mortal Kombat 2, you have described near-exactly the way the original Mortal Kombat games worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUttRUpVnq4

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I thought MK games (the new ones at least) have an internal difficulty level, based on you win streak - so win a few fights and you get an Ultra Hard opponent, lose against them a few times and you go back to Easy. Similar to Godhand, actually.

I wish DS III would tell me have much covenant items I had given - I'm farming Proofs of Concord Kept in lieu of fighting the Princes and getting a few (well, more than;) levels in the process, but I don't know if I had given the person 15, 20 or 29 ears so far. I did count, but I forgot long ago.

EDIT: also a general gripe with older games - many of them have no subtitles when voices are present, e.g. Legacy of Kain series, or Primal. Not only are they an accessibility option, they just make watching cutscenes easier.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Jul 13, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm starting to get back into Monster Hunter Rise now that the addon is out, and I decided to use the opportunity to try out a different weapon, the switch axe. It's got a very cool cornerstone move, the zero sum discharge, where you latch on to a monster, jam your sword into it, and then rev it up until it lets off a huge explosion. It looks cool and is really satisfying to get off.

The trouble with that is: While you're latched on and charging up the explosion, you're still getting hit by the monster's attacks. That's fair enough if you're e.g. latched to a monster's tail and it slams that tail into the ground, but the game also often considers a monster's entire body as its hurtbox when it's attacking. So I might latched on to the back of a giant dinosaur, several meters off the ground, and when it headbutts somebody on the ground I still suffer the full damage since I'm technically touching its body even though the actual target of the attack was nowhere near me. And very nearly every monster has such attacks where they run you over or try to jump on you, where getting damaged makes a lot of sense when you're on the ground but feels completely nonsensical when you're physically affixed to their body.

You can work around it by only using that attack when the monster is stunned or otherwise occupied, but that kinda sucks since it's the coolest attack the weapon has to offer and half the reason I wanted to use it in the first place.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I'm starting to get back into Monster Hunter Rise now that the addon is out, and I decided to use the opportunity to try out a different weapon, the switch axe. It's got a very cool cornerstone move, the zero sum discharge, where you latch on to a monster, jam your sword into it, and then rev it up until it lets off a huge explosion. It looks cool and is really satisfying to get off.

The trouble with that is: While you're latched on and charging up the explosion, you're still getting hit by the monster's attacks. That's fair enough if you're e.g. latched to a monster's tail and it slams that tail into the ground, but the game also often considers a monster's entire body as its hurtbox when it's attacking. So I might latched on to the back of a giant dinosaur, several meters off the ground, and when it headbutts somebody on the ground I still suffer the full damage since I'm technically touching its body even though the actual target of the attack was nowhere near me. And very nearly every monster has such attacks where they run you over or try to jump on you, where getting damaged makes a lot of sense when you're on the ground but feels completely nonsensical when you're physically affixed to their body.

You can work around it by only using that attack when the monster is stunned or otherwise occupied, but that kinda sucks since it's the coolest attack the weapon has to offer and half the reason I wanted to use it in the first place.

Sunbreak is a much better expansion that iceborne for the sole reason that it doesn’t have the godawful clutch claw which was modeled off of this specific move and forced every weapon to have this experience, except in that game you also got knocked off if you took any damage.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i definitely get the immersion complaint regarding it, but also, ZSD is the most powerful move switch axe has and you're already spamming it constantly to the point where it's a bit ridiculous. in base game it was completely free. in sunbreak the damage you might incur is so high there's at least a little thought regarding "is it safe for me to do this now?"

ultimately i think rise's answer to "can a monster buck you off during ZSD" is probably better than world where a light breeze would send you flying, but it's also kind of a balance concern. i'm not sure what the answer is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sekiro: I think someone mentioned him earlier when I brought up how much Blazing Bill’s guard piercing chip damage/burn buildup sucked, but man, Demon of Hatred is really proof of how bad it is, because it would be sick as poo poo to parry this demon’s fire hand whip swings and combo chains but most of his attacks do significant chunks of health even when guarding because they’re with his fire hand, which means the winning strat is to run away until he does a move with an opening and just do one or two swings or maybe a charged R1.

What a bummer of a final optional boss. At least fighting/sneaking my way through elite militiamen on the way to him was fun, but it’s truly perplexing how they put so much effort into a boss that doesn’t get reused anywhere else in some form (one of the only ones to boast that iirc) but just decided to make him lame with one little thing you could probably patch out easily.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
never, ever, ever run away from demon of hatred. you should be charging full-sprint at him whenever there’s more than a sword-length of distance between you because all of his weakest attacks are at close range

other than that the Flame Umbrella no-sells all of his blockable attacks

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Demon of Hatred is a Dark Souls boss that snuck into Sekiro and it sucks to fight against, like every boss from Dark Souls.

Battlestar Galatica: Deadlock is a fun turn based Homeworld style game but it’s got some things that irk me.

I need to manually launch my Vipers every battle. I haven’t found any reason to keep them docked in my ships so why not just have them all launch at the start of a fight?

Side mission difficulty seems to be random. I tried a side mission and got jumped by three new massive ships + a supporting fleet. I tried the same mission again with the same fleet after a reload and the enemy only had 1 of the new ships.

The strategic layer is hard to read. Cylon attack fleets keep showing up for a turn and then disappearing. I think they’re supposed to piss off council planets but they also hang out over empty planets too.

Some bad menu layouts tricked me into thinking hiring a new officer was gonna cost me 4,000 space bucks. They actually only cost 50 so I wasted a bunch of XP that could have gone to that officer.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm playing Days Gone which is kind of aggressively mediocre so far, with a bunch of things that annoy me, but one that I've seen in a few games that always gives me pause;

Theres half-assed crafting because its an open world game from the last ten years so of course there is. You can craft bandages and molotovs and whatnot, once you have the blueprint (you start with those ones, you have to find the blueprints for everything else). As an aside you can only pick up crafting ingredients when you have a blueprint that uses them, which does make sense (why would someone in a zombie apocalypse weigh themselves down with stuff they have no particular use for) but is kind of annoying when you've spent hours walking past containers of gunpowder everywhere until you get the schematic for smoke bombs, but now you have no gunpowder...

Anyway, what annoyed/amused me, and I've seen this in other games too, is one of the first schematics I found was for "baseball bat with nails in" which... Who needs a blueprint to make that? The blueprint is literally just the name of the item, surely? If Deacon tried to make one before getting the blueprint was he trying to hammer the wrong side of the nails in or what? Or had he literally just never thought "I could hammer nails into this piece of wood I'm using as a weapon"?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
That's definitely a thing that annoys me more as games become more realistic-looking. Days Gone in particular looks beautiful and the environment is pretty convincing... so when weird poo poo like needing a blueprint to hammer a nail through a bat comes up it feels very awkward. I think the level of abstraction the game has must be inversely relative to the level of detail in the game's environment. If you're going to present me with a realistic looking environment, then you must also present me with some relatively realistic game mechanics or whatever.

This is also why I hated the part in Skyrim where you like lay siege to a town, you and this massive army of like twelve people, the town which itself only has maybe fifty people living in it. I think you're supposed to imagine you're part of a huge army, and the city is actually really big, but the game looks too real to have that level of abstraction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fuckin' Remobra and their 13% drop rates on their stupid heads

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love mosou games but, with few exceptions, they either have boring as hell plotlines or are embarrassingly horny.

There are only so many times Koei Tecmo can recycle the same historical Chinese and Japanese wars, and non-Koei Tecmo games like XSEED's stuff is borderline soft core porn.

The ones based on animes and Persona Strikers are limited by their source materials, and Warriors Orochi is delightfully batshit, but I'd love to play more in the middle ground between boring and "There's no way I can explain this if my wife see me playing it."

Speaking of games about mowing down enemies by the boatload, I really like the game play of Borderlands 3 but SHUT THE gently caress UP. JUST SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY.

It's bad enough when the NPCs blather on in a middle schooler's idea of wittiness on the radio, but having to stop playing while two of them have a full conversation before progressing in a mission really kills the flow.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

The ones based on animes and Persona Strikers are limited by their source materials

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is technically limited, but the source material is so varied in itself that there's a huge swing between the various characters.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

I love mosou games but, with few exceptions, they either have boring as hell plotlines or are embarrassingly horny.

There are only so many times Koei Tecmo can recycle the same historical Chinese and Japanese wars, and non-Koei Tecmo games like XSEED's stuff is borderline soft core porn.

The ones based on animes and Persona Strikers are limited by their source materials, and Warriors Orochi is delightfully batshit, but I'd love to play more in the middle ground between boring and "There's no way I can explain this if my wife see me playing it."

fire emblem three hopes just came out and it owns, my friend.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

An Actual Princess posted:

fire emblem three hopes just came out and it owns, my friend.

Three Hopes has a pretty valid excuse for cutting down on moveset variety and yet it's still somehow less stingy than some recent musou

And it's good, obviously

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something weird I've noticed about the recent Assassin's Creed games is how they're okay with nudity, as long as it is none of the main/major characters. Which is annoying not because I need to peep some polygonal titties but because it is really distracting to have a scene where a character should be naked but they're wearing raggedy fantasy underwear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

muscles like this! posted:

Something weird I've noticed about the recent Assassin's Creed games is how they're okay with nudity, as long as it is none of the main/major characters. Which is annoying not because I need to peep some polygonal titties but because it is really distracting to have a scene where a character should be naked but they're wearing raggedy fantasy underwear.

My assumption is that Layla already tried to use nude mods offscreen and everyone else just yelled at her for being weird and told her to just get on with the plot

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Another general complaint: I'm fine with a game running at 30fps, but it's disappointing that some version run at 60 while others don't. Currently I experience that with Shadows: Awakening, a fun game from the creators of Vikings: Wolves of Midgard. The PC version runs at 60 fps, the console one - 30. I can live with that, but like I said, it's a dissapointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

SiKboy posted:

I'm playing Days Gone which is kind of aggressively mediocre so far, with a bunch of things that annoy me, but one that I've seen in a few games that always gives me pause;

If I remember Days Gone's release right, it went from being overhyped by Sony to being sort of overly panned in retaliation, and then became a minor cult hit, so depending on when you bought the game or what you'd heard about it, you'd either be disappointed that this AAA Sony exclusive felt really cheap, pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad or slightly disappointed but at that point you probably got it for free.

The thing that irked me the most about Days Gone was how the game forces you to scavenge. I get that, as a zombie game, it wants the player to have to manage resources, but instead of making gas and ammo rare, they're everywhere but you can't carry any of it. It's downright silly how many gas cans there are strewn about but you can't carry one on your bike and apparently your gas tank only holds one quart because before upgrades you can 0 rive about 1 mile before you have to refuel.

Same with ammo; you can find plenty but you can only carry a laughable amount with you. I remember upgrading the pistol at one point and not being able to carry a whole extra magazine. I had like 12 bullets in my gun but could only carry 10 extra. Is a full magazine too heavy to carry so I have to pull 2 bullets out?