Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

turn off the TV posted:

putting any thought into chain attacks.

Ignoring sweaty super boss strats (Element Orb Ender/Prioritizer and w/e that busted common blade art was called), XB2 at least required a bit of thought in terms of setting up an appropriate damaged orb for the next round.

XB1 was generally just “chain red/green arts until you can’t, and then maybe hit your talent art” once your affinities were high enough to keep chains going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I can't really remember how either battle system worked, but I do remember having much more fun setting up my team in XB2 than in XB1

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The absolute worst part of XB1 was the incredibly aggressive level scaling that I felt forced to grind or do sidequests because lol if you're 2 levels below the final area.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The accuracy to level formula sucked major rear end, it's true

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I wish the DE had the granular difficult options like 2, and that one of those options was nerfing the accuracy penalty.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Tae posted:

What

you literally have a job system and the ability to mix and match arts from different classes and then fusing them for bigger attacks

I haven't watched any of them, but I doubt any of the preview write ups have made it for enough into the game to dig into the job system. That might be throwing people's views off.

I personally have always preferred linear character advancement.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There are people with preview copies who've already beaten the game, they're just not allowed to talk about that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can't really remember how either battle system worked, but I do remember having much more fun setting up my team in XB2 than in XB1

That was actually my most disliked part of XBC2, I felt like I was spending more time micromanaging my team than I ever was fighting with them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

The previews for 3 have made me a little worried since apparently there are even fewer options for building characters and its combat looks a lot like 2's.

3 seems like it will focus heavily on positioning, since tanks/healers/buffs seem to largely work by keeping characters nearby, while attacks receive bonuses (and charge their specials) by attacking from the behind/side.

Also not sure what you mean about fewer options for building characters, since it seems like there are *way* more than in both XC1 and XC2 through the class system, fusion arts, and Ouroboros upgrades. If anything, the amount of customization sounds kind of intimidating.

Evil Fluffy posted:

My issue with XB2's combat was that I didn't immediately setup my team to do full driver combos ASAP and once I did oh hey poo poo just absolutely melts now while showing the area in items and healing potions.

I was confused about driver combos until learning about the AI differences between male and female characters (which is an utterly bizarre thing to hide from the player, since it makes a giant difference if you're trying to do driver combos).

The minute I set things up so that Rex/Tora could do a full driver combo between the two of them (with me controlling Tora), I was doing them constantly.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
No clue if I am able to complete it before XC3 comes out but I am trying to get back into my XC1 playthrough. Just got to Sasoril Marsh, and man, at nighttime it is still one of the prettiest areas I have seen in a game and has one of my favorite themes as well.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 12, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Leathal posted:

Ignoring sweaty super boss strats (Element Orb Ender/Prioritizer and w/e that busted common blade art was called), XB2 at least required a bit of thought in terms of setting up an appropriate damaged orb for the next round.

XB1 was generally just “chain red/green arts until you can’t, and then maybe hit your talent art” once your affinities were high enough to keep chains going.

Totally agree. Setting up the orbs and extending the clock counting down by shifting to driver combos was satisfying. The chain attacks are very different in XBC2 and much more effort/rarity but feel like such ridiculous payoff when you prepare a good one. That and the sudden announcer who sounds like he's just making poo poo up the more you impress him.

XB1 chain attacks were still cool and good fun and mechanically sound with a lot to get out of them but relatively uninteresting setup. Iirc the most effective way to build meter was a skill that started you with 1/3 blue bar, then cancel starting a fight, three times. You're effectively always starting any engagement with a chain ready.

Speaking of the blue bar (does it have a name?) didn't XBX let you uncap the blue bar from its limit of 3 segments?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ugh, reading the past couple of pages also makes me want to fire up XC2 for a bit as well :shepicide:

Not going to kill myself trying to complete everything; That is what recap videos are for.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Speaking of the blue bar (does it have a name?) didn't XBX let you uncap the blue bar from its limit of 3 segments?
it's the party gauge. except in X it's not the party gauge because it's the TP gauge and there's skills that use TP other than just chain attacks and revivals.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RuBisCO posted:

I like, eventually got there, but XB2's combat is comically hard to understand and is pretty anti user friendly. There's a reason why all these XB3 previewers are going "the tutorial is good this time guys"

Props to you if you found it not bad, I think you should consider getting an engineering degree or something
xenoblade 2 has easy combat, you simply press buttons when sword is about to hit a thing and then you get a fancy sound effect that tells you you pushed the button at the right time, good job

in contrast i have no idea what half the auras in xenoblade 1 even did, and tying "the ability to upgrade attacks" to "finding manuals in a shop" meant i had a bunch of arts that didn't go past level 4 until after i'd gotten the last party member
(also i literally had to watch guides to figure out what the best affinity coin skills were. some of the ones that sounded good were dogshit and some of the ones that didn't seem that useful were game-breaking. it's possible i am a dumbass though.)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really hope one of the two styles of charging arts isn’t obviously superior. I really don’t want to have half the classes in the game be just worse than the other half.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

There's probably going to be one that's optimal but I doubt it's going to matter much unless you go for superbosses.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I seem to recall from one of the trailers a class that focuses on critical hits (one of the 7th slots?) so that’s likely to be one of the top tier candidates given Xenoblade history!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sleng Teng posted:

I seem to recall from one of the trailers a class that focuses on critical hits (one of the 7th slots?) so that’s likely to be one of the top tier candidates given Xenoblade history!

Every time that class lands a critical hit it’s base attack power increases! That’s going to do bonkers damage if there’s no cap.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TurnipFritter posted:

I wish the DE had the granular difficult options like 2, and that one of those options was nerfing the accuracy penalty.

It definitely has a mode that removes those penalties, I don’t remember what it’s called though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If DE has sliders it would be one slider, and it would only turn spikes off

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I really hope one of the two styles of charging arts isn’t obviously superior. I really don’t want to have half the classes in the game be just worse than the other half.

even if one cooldown type ends up superior in a vacuum, it sounds like you can only use master arts of the opposite type, so it seems like they're not quite in direct competition. in general previews give the impression that this time around they're trying to have jobs and roles synergise more, like giving healers party damage buffs so the attackers deal more damage, so maybe this time around we'll have something vaguely resembling balance for the first time in a xenoblade game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the last time they tried to balance a unit they gave us Sharla.

Do you want that

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you say that like xenoblade 2 didn't also have an issue of healers being pointless except for the dlc ones that got ludicrous damage multipliers for just existing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sharlas problem wasn’t that she was pointless, it’s that for some reason to balance her they made her actively bad

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

xenoblade 2 also gave us shield hammers, who sacrificed damage potential for higher block rates, then never could do any blocking because they don't have the damage potential to maintain aggro

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

you say that like xenoblade 2 didn't also have an issue of healers being pointless except for the dlc ones that got ludicrous damage multipliers for just existing

Fiora keeps the party healthy by spamming universe flicker to end the encounter in seconds :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Now that I have my full team together I've been going through sidequests for some "easy" affinity gain and good lord some of the things you have to do to get to the 4th skill tree for some people is absurd and I hope that's not something they bring back.

I like the idea behind the town affinity system and all but having a quest being locked behind not only having specific people registered but talking to one of them (after they're all registered) at a specific time of day to progress their affinity to a specific point is just a level too deep for me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Justin_Brett posted:

I like XB1's combat well enough, but coming to it from 2 it feels like it has a lot more frustrating things in it. The vision mechanic is the biggest, but there's also fights with gimmicks that just don't feel good in this battle system.

Adding on to this, does anyone have tips for fighting (really late-game boss, after 1's big reveals) Lorithia? I can kinda get rid of her buddies the first time but having to do it a bunch seems really rough even with Melia there. I don't mind if it's kinda cheesy, this fight doesn't look all that fun to begin with.

And wow, that's the first I've ever heard of party members even having more than three skill trees myself, so I guess I'd agree. :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Justin_Brett posted:

And wow, that's the first I've ever heard of party members even having more than three skill trees myself, so I guess I'd agree. :v:

They have five each but the 4th and 5th are locked behind sidequests that open up when you hit certain plot points (I think it's reaching Valak Mountain and after mechonis core). I'm not sure the game ever tells you about their existence. I stumbled on Dunban's and Melia's fourth by accident just being a completionist but Shulk, Riki, Reyn, and Sharla I would not have gotten without a guide. Not sure if I would have stumbled into Seven's. I'm not at the point where the fifth are unlocked yet but I assume they're going to be hidden in similar ways.

Also if you want to cheese that fight take a look at the video someone posted earlier from their let's play lol.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
...oh, that's why the art icons are different colors, huh.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

The sidequests that unlock 4th trees are gated behind area affinity or a quest chain that becomes available after a plot event. The 5th trees are the same but need storyline advancement to the major lategame events. Pretty sure none are permanently missable. I don't remember if the sidequests tell you ahead of time that they unlock a skill tree.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They're never missable but the game doesn't do a good job telling you they exist and the requirements to progress some of the chains are obnoxious.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i maxed out dunban's 4th and 5th trees before i even acquired sharla or riki's. this is because both of them require quest chains gated by high town affinity, while dunban's quest involves talking to a person next to a shop that you're required to pass through as part of the plot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Some of those trees are absolute piss aside from maybe one good skill that you only want to link to others, I think that was the case for Sharla anyway

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah I think Sharla's one good skill in her fourth and fifth tree is an Ether stat boost you'd link onto Melia. Reyn gets a really good one that casts Haste on the whole party when an enemy is defeated.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question on Torna: As I understand it, if you already have XC2, you can get it with the expansion pass for $30, but there is also a standalone version that you do not need the base game for that is $40, but otherwise it is the same content, correct?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question on Torna: As I understand it, if you already have XC2, you can get it with the expansion pass for $30, but there is also a standalone version that you do not need the base game for that is $40, but otherwise it is the same content, correct?

Yes, it's the same content.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Tae posted:

you literally have a job system and the ability to mix and match arts from different classes and then fusing them for bigger attacks
I wonder how they're going to avoid the ff5 problem of "if everyone can do everything then
everyone is the same" problem (or maybe they'll run right into it).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

sudonim posted:

I wonder how they're going to avoid the ff5 problem of "if everyone can do everything then
This then presents the greatest challenge of all: putting people in the outfits they look cutest in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sudonim posted:

Hopefully the characters all have base stats that play a larger role than class based stat changes or characters have unique skills in addition to class skills.