Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I presume it's roughly 2/3 Facebook's fault and 1/3 word of foot-in-mouth?

e: booster hesitancy, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing it's also an Idiocracy-level understanding of science: "if the eggheads said two doses was enough, then why come they changed their minds???"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

I presume it's roughly 2/3 Facebook's fault and 1/3 word of foot-in-mouth?

e: booster hesitancy, that is.

Social media in general, but yeah.

People like to blame Facebook in particular, but there's a ton of that poo poo out on Tiktok and Instagram

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 12, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It's weird, but common, human logic of 'we jumped through a bunch of hoops to avoid outcome X, and outcome X never happened, therefore, all of the hoops that allowed us to avoid outcome X weren't necessary to begin with.'

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

PT6A posted:

I'm guessing it's also an Idiocracy-level understanding of science: "if the eggheads said two doses was enough, then why come they changed their minds???"

I've heard this logic from otherwise smart people. "They said it would only take 2 shots to be vaccinated, I'm not taking anymore." ???

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It was probably a mistake to refer to two doses as "fully vaccinated". I think public health departments are only now rewording that.

I wonder how many people opt (their kids) out of the third shot for various other three+ course vaccinations. It's not exactly uncommon to need that many for high effectiveness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't remember the exact timeline: did 3rd shots/1st boosters start becoming a thing that was recommended before the variant-driven waves showed up? My memory, without looking it up, was that I was "fully vaccinated" with two shots right when Delta started becoming a major issue and the protection of two doses was no longer quite enough. Had it not been for the variants, maybe 2 shots would have been enough, but nature sometimes puts paid to our best-made plans.

To a certain extent, I see problems on all sides of the issue when it comes to people dealing really, stunningly poorly with uncertainty and having to re-evaluate a situation in the light of new circumstances and new evidence.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

From random conversations I've overheard in my neighbourhood, yes, actually.

Like, people are for various reasons deeply suspicious of the vaccine, got their two shots, and simply refuse to get any more for a lot of the same reasons a smaller subset of people got only one or none.
Yup. I've also been told by people that they don't want to get the booster shots because they're "tired of all these vaccines" and ask "are we going to keep getting shots for the rest of our lives?"

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

I can't remember the exact timeline: did 3rd shots/1st boosters start becoming a thing that was recommended before the variant-driven waves showed up? My memory, without looking it up, was that I was "fully vaccinated" with two shots right when Delta started becoming a major issue and the protection of two doses was no longer quite enough. Had it not been for the variants, maybe 2 shots would have been enough, but nature sometimes puts paid to our best-made plans.

To a certain extent, I see problems on all sides of the issue when it comes to people dealing really, stunningly poorly with uncertainty and having to re-evaluate a situation in the light of new circumstances and new evidence.

Boosters started ramping here right around when Delta did because two shots started having a real drop in efficacy with Delta where the third still got you pretty close to the original effectiveness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yup. I've also been told by people that they don't want to get the booster shots because they're "tired of all these vaccines" and ask "are we going to keep getting shots for the rest of our lives?"

Does this apply to other recurring tasks in their world?

"What do you mean I have to mow the lawn again??? I already did it!"

"I have to cook dinner every day??? What is this madness, I already cooked dinner last night!"

"Are you telling me I have to change the oil in my car multiple times? No, I'm sorry, it's unacceptable. The oil should simply be better and last infinitely."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Boosters started ramping here right around when Delta did because two shots started having a real drop in efficacy with Delta where the third still got you pretty close to the original effectiveness.

That's what I remember, too. So, in fact, two doses was sufficient, as predicted, for the original disease the vaccine was designed to target. The variant(s) threw a wrench into that plan and we had to adjust accordingly. Is that really so shocking?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PT6A posted:

I don't bother engaging with them. I just smile and nod.

PT6A posted:

"Are you telling me I have to change the oil in my car multiple times? No, I'm sorry, it's unacceptable. The oil should simply be better and last infinitely."
I actually know people like this who get angry after their engine seizes up due to the oil eventually turning to a semi-solid.

Looks like 2nd boosters in Ontario might be available to everyone soon.

https://twitter.com/CheriDiNovo/status/1546632118708703234?s=20&t=rhuAA-gRCZ5RbCaK_flsNA

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I remember successfully nagging my wife to wear a better mask at her public-facing job in December 2020/January 2021 because delta was arriving/here, and I got my second shot in June 2021. Seems possible we could've avoided calling anything "fully vaccinated", or at least changed our minds before mid-2022.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

"What do you mean I have to mow the lawn again??? I already did it!"

"I have to cook dinner every day??? What is this madness, I already cooked dinner last night!"

TBF, I feel that way about all those things.

I'm still going to keep getting the periodic boosters or whatever because it's preferable to getting sick.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Looks like 2nd boosters in Ontario might be available to everyone soon.

https://twitter.com/CheriDiNovo/status/1546632118708703234?s=20&t=rhuAA-gRCZ5RbCaK_flsNA

Here's hoping, since I'm going on 7 months since the booster.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I remember successfully nagging my wife to wear a better mask at her public-facing job in December 2020/January 2021 because delta was arriving/here, and I got my second shot in June 2021. Seems possible we could've avoided calling anything "fully vaccinated", or at least changed our minds before mid-2022.

To be honest I don't think it was a mistake calling two shots fully vaccinated in the original rollout. Two shots pretty much was as fully vaccinated as it was going to get against the alpha variant we were facing at the time.

Plus I think we would have had a harder time getting the insanely good two shot uptake that we did if people didn't have a goal that could give them that sort of light at the end of the tunnel at the time. IMO the mistake was dropping the passport system instead of just upgrading it to three shots.

From what I recall even if it was in Canada by April/May Delta didn't really take off in force until late in the summer/ early fall and we were still in mostly Alpha land then. Cases definitely cratered that summer between people being outside and the high vaccine uptake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the other huge mistake was treating mask-wearing as a punishment, or conversely, treating the end of masking as a reward for getting vaccinated. And not focusing on 95PFE masks for all as soon as we had sufficient supply.

Really there were so many fuckups!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

On the plus side, even having just two shots seems to be really good protection against hospitalization/long term effects, even if it doesn't provide much protection against getting it in the first place

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Mr. Apollo posted:

"Yes, probably. Ideally when we get our annual flu shot. And honestly, this is only going to happen more and more as population density increases and easy global travel allows new diseases to spread rapidly. Honestly, if you start seeing chimps acting a bit too smart, get your affairs in order."

I got my fourth shot the end of May, I think? I'll take every one they give me.

Anecdotally, the more shots I get, the less I react to them; the first two knocked me out for a few days, the third for a day, and the fourth just made me feel a bit low energy.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

"Yes, probably. Ideally when we get our annual flu shot. And honestly, this is only going to happen more and more as population density increases and easy global travel allows new diseases to spread rapidly. Honestly, if you start seeing chimps acting a bit too smart, get your affairs in order."

Most people don’t get flu shots, is the thing.

“Overall, influenza vaccination coverage among all adults (40%) was similar to the previous season (42%)”

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...nza-survey.html

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah the third shot was really important but probably part of the reason there's been limitations on the fourth shot was the earlier studies with four shots against Omicron (not sure if there's been anything new since then) was while the fourth shot was pretty good at reducing severe illness rates in older folks and those with severe risk factors it wasn't doing a whole lot more against infection and younger people weren't likely to notice a lot of the benefits against severe infection since the rates of that in the younger population were much lower anyway.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00486-9

Like by all means get it if you can but tbh I'm personally not counting on much protection against actually getting COVID until the new generation of boosters in the fall.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 12, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it was a bit after that. I got my third shot in late August, when it was only for severely immunocompromised people and LTC (it wasn't even called a booster then, just a third primary shot), and it was a novel thing that the clinic hadn't dealt with before (it took them like 20 minutes to figure out if it was OK and what to do). Maybe like the fall of 2021 for when they started rolling out? General public was definitely Dec / Jan for the general population, and that was considered fairly rushed to get ahead of Omicron.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 12, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do any other brown people here have restaurants trying to give you Skip the Dishes orders whenever you go out to eat?

Went to a pizza place to get a slice before groceries and after paying for one I sat down next to a white person while we waited for a pizza to come out of the oven. While on my phone I hear "what's the Skip number? Sir? Sir?! I need your Skip number." The guy who took my order gave her an "oh god, no" look before she got the hint. It was kind of funny, and then it immediately happened again at the bubble tea place I went to for a drink.

What does a Skip order number look like? If they're so insistent on giving me orders I'm gonna see if I can leverage this into free food. At least the guy "accidentally" gave me an extra slice probably because of how embarrassing it must have been for them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Coxswain Balls posted:

Do any other brown people here have restaurants trying to give you Skip the Dishes orders whenever you go out to eat?

Went to a pizza place to get a slice before groceries and after paying for one I sat down next to a white person while we waited for a pizza to come out of the oven. While on my phone I hear "what's the Skip number? Sir? Sir?! I need your Skip number." The guy who took my order gave her an "oh god, no" look before she got the hint. It was kind of funny, and then it immediately happened again at the bubble tea place I went to for a drink.

What does a Skip order number look like? If they're so insistent on giving me orders I'm gonna see if I can leverage this into free food. At least the guy "accidentally" gave me an extra slice probably because of how embarrassing it must have been for them.
From what I've seen when I've been picking up take out, it's usually a 3 digit number.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
lol that's never happened to me, but I'm going to carry an orange cooler bag and leverage the poo poo out of that now

Edit: that reminds me of when I used to work at Tim Hortons, and I was the only one that customers would ask about connecting to the wifi

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 12, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Delivery apps seem big here because Skip is headquartered here, so I'm wondering if it's common elsewhere or if it's a local quirk. I've often seen like five drivers waiting around for orders, it seems so wasteful.

It goes both ways too. When I'm lazy and don't want to cook I grab some drive thru on the way home, and in the lobby or even the parking lot I've had people trying to take my brown paper bag thinking I'm delivering an order for them. I was so confused the first time it happened.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Loading Ready Run coming in with some classic CanCon RE: Rogers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uss0jVBAz4

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

To be honest I don't think it was a mistake calling two shots fully vaccinated in the original rollout. Two shots pretty much was as fully vaccinated as it was going to get against the alpha variant we were facing at the time.

Plus I think we would have had a harder time getting the insanely good two shot uptake that we did if people didn't have a goal that could give them that sort of light at the end of the tunnel at the time. IMO the mistake was dropping the passport system instead of just upgrading it to three shots.

Just seems like another precautionary own goal. When we know many diseases require 3+ doses for good effectiveness and we're still early days with the new disease, why did we decide 2 was the full answer? But you could be right that the positive effect outweighed future confusion. I have no idea how to test either way.

PT6A posted:

Really there were so many fuckups!

This is more what I'm frustrated by. Always feels like we're planning zero steps ahead. I don't expect a perfect response but can we stop making the same mistake?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

Holy gently caress that sucks and I hope you do find a way to leverage it into free food sometime(s).

I heard an ethics debate on a podcast recently that was related: if a delivery person leaves bags of restaurant food at your place and you don't see them around anymore, should you wander to neighbours and try to find where the food was supposed to go or do you eat the food?

Argument for finding neighbours is that somebody missed out on their food and you should be a good neighbour.

Argument for eating it is that it's entirely possible that the driver was way off (ex: Eastman Drive instead of Eastman Avenue) and you're unlikely to find the intended recipient. Also what if you knock on the door of a serial killer or Pierre Polievere?

I think I'm in the eat it camp.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
That sounds like a good way to poison your enemies.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I was gonna say the same type of person who used to be fine poisoning local animals is being radicalized to the point I wouldn't really trust loose food anywhere.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That sounds like a good way to poison your enemies.

Well if somebody is going to off me, I'd appreciate it if they could at least do so using something in a red wine reduction.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember reading somewhere last year about how restaurants are prioritizing delivery orders over regular take out orders even if take out orders are smaller/come in earlier.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Madkal posted:

I remember reading somewhere last year about how restaurants are prioritizing delivery orders over regular take out orders even if take out orders are smaller/come in earlier.

Counterpoint: I know a restaurant here that's like "no, no delivery orders on busy nights, gently caress you."

They can do that, because they're amazing and you either order another night, or get it yourself. When you are a really great restaurant, you can get away with that!

"Oh no my Skip rating will go down and we'll make 100% on the food we sell, which we're preparing and selling as fast as we can, whatever shall we do?"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-chief-medical-officer-of-health-fourth-shots-rapid-tests-1.6518495

Ontario is making a fourth dose announcement tomorrow at 11 AM.

quote:

Ontario's top doctor to make announcement about 4th COVID-19 shots, rapid antigen tests

Dr. Kieran Moore scheduled to provide update at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Queen's Park

Ontario's chief medical officer of health is set to make an announcement on Wednesday about access to fourth doses of COVID-19 vaccines and to free rapid antigen tests.

Dr. Kieran Moore is scheduled to provide an update at 11 a.m. at Queen's Park.

The Ontario government has been under pressure in recent weeks to expand age eligibility to the fourth shots and to extend distribution of the test kits beyond July 31.

Moore confirmed to CBC News on July 6 that Ontario is in the midst of another pandemic wave, the province's seventh.

"Sadly yes, we're in another wave," Moore said last Wednesday.

The Omicron BA.5 subvariant and to a lesser extent, BA.4, is largely driving the latest wave, according to Dr. Fahad Razak, an internist at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto and the scientific director of Ontario's COVID-19 Science Advisory Table.

"The BA.5 subvariant has mutated to the extent that your body is not recognizing it and people are getting reinfected," Razak said last Friday.

"You're seeing this additional surge start in Ontario, and now it's started in other parts of Canada as well."

In its most recent update on the pandemic, published July 7, the province says 712 people are in hospital with COVID-19, up from 585 in the previous week. There are 110 patients in intensive care due to the virus, up from 95 the previous week.

Public Health Ontario, in its July 7 weekly epidemiological summary, which contains data until July 2, said the province's seventh wave of COVID-19 began as early as June 19.

According to the summary, case rates have increased across 25 of Ontario's 34 public health units as of July 2, and in all age groups.

The largest jump was among children aged four and under, with cases in that group spiking by 40 per cent. Case rates remain higher among people 20 and over and are still highest among people 80 and up.

In Ontario, a clear picture about the state of COVID-19 has become increasingly difficult to obtain over the last several months after the government restricted lab testing and stopped publishing school-related data.

Also on June 11, the province moved to weekly reporting of COVID-19 data after more than two years of daily updates.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Just seems like another precautionary own goal. When we know many diseases require 3+ doses for good effectiveness and we're still early days with the new disease, why did we decide 2 was the full answer? But you could be right that the positive effect outweighed future confusion. I have no idea how to test either way.

This is more what I'm frustrated by. Always feels like we're planning zero steps ahead. I don't expect a perfect response but can we stop making the same mistake?

It was a big mistake to ever imply that the vaccine could create lasting immunity against infection. The vaccine had incredible performance out of the gate - far in excess of any flu vaccine - and maybe that lead people astray. But the quest to develop a viable vaccine against respiratory viruses didn’t start in 2020, it has been ongoing for decades and it was widely acknowledged to be extremely difficult.

An Omicron-specific booster will have a similar outcome in the longer term, so the only viable model is annual boosters like we do with the flu to try to blunt transmission early on and reduce hospitalizations during the worst of the season. Implied in this is that we’ll probably never crack 50% uptake again, but if uptake is concentrated among people with the highest risk then the public health benefits will be quite high. Again, there is no hope for a vaccine that provides long lasting protection against infection or transmission, so vaccine policy can not be based on that premise.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Page 416

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgzbb8i466U

Living in Toronto is exactly like The Fifth Element.

See you again on page 905, or 647, or whatever

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

From the Cursed Images thread:

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

McGavin posted:

Western Canada is exactly where Hitler would go.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Left to right: Hitler, the Wario to Chef Boyardee's Mario, Guy who mixed up 'Lenin'/'Lennon' at a costume party, Donald Sutherland, Aging Jonathan Torrens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McGavin posted:

Hitler had himself frozen for 50 years so no one would recognise him. He's Hugh Laurie now.