Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We are now deviating very far afield but the E39 is like, pop the hood. Find the two boxes up by the cowl on the passenger side and driver side. They are incredibly obvious and easy to reach. You unclip a single retaining clip, open the box, and replace the filter element. Repeat on the other side.

How did they get from that, to the loving whatever it is in the F10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is a good all around minivan these days? I’d like stow and go seats, which I assume are standard

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Professor Shark posted:

What is a good all around minivan these days? I’d like stow and go seats, which I assume are standard

That feature is a thing that only the Chrysler Pacifica has, and the hybrid one does not. So it sounds like you have a non-hybrid Chrysler Pacifica in your future!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yay

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What is the thread's opinion on the mid-teens Acura RDX? I am looking at multiple of them today.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

That feature is a thing that only the Chrysler Pacifica has, and the hybrid one does not. So it sounds like you have a non-hybrid Chrysler Pacifica in your future!

I am shocked that so few minivans have stow and go

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We rented a ~2018 dodge caravan this winter for two weeks and the rear row dropped into a "pocket" behind the rear axle. That gave us a flat pickup bed type area. No idea if they've made changes to newer models

2018 dodge caravan with 32,000 rental miles on it felt a lot like my high school best friends parents 1992 dodge caravan with 200,000 single owner miles on it, was like stepping back 30 years into the past. I am continually amazed people still buy domestic

We rented a... Not sure, town and country or Pacifica to cart around the wedding party at a destination wedding and that thing was luxurious for 7 adults even on our mini road trip

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 12, 2022

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I keep getting these for rentals.

The rear-most seat stow-n-gos, at least. If that's enough cargo space for you the Hybrid is ok.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I cannot ever, in good conscience, recommend a Dodge/Chrysler for any reason. My coworker has a Pacifica and has nothing but problems with it. Buyer beware!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

What is the thread's opinion on the mid-teens Acura RDX? I am looking at multiple of them today.

The V6 is a lot better/more common than the turbo 4 in the first generation, but the AWD system is less fancy. Otherwise it’s a Honda but fancier inside.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The V6 is a lot better/more common than the turbo 4 in the first generation, but the AWD system is less fancy. Otherwise it’s a Honda but fancier inside.

I could go for a fancy Honda!
But the one I drove seemed to drone really loud in low gear.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Proposed Budget:
~roughly 45,000$, cheaper would be a plus

New or Used:
Either is fine

Body Style:
Sport sedan, hot hatch, or fastback

How will you be using the car?:
Currently own a Cayman S, got a big dog, big dog cannot fit in the Cayman S, hence the need for something with 4 doors or a hatch.

What aspects are most important to you?
A.) Fun to drive, RWD or AWD, can do track days without falling apart
B.) Can fit a dog and work as an only car
B.) Has a manual
C.) I am not picky about tech in the car, does not have to meet some arbitrary speed threshold

Looking for recommendations because it seems like getting the new Corolla GR is going to be loving impossible, which would check all the boxes. I would also love the Veloster N if it wasn't loving FWD. Other things I have considered (Cadillac CTV (is the non-blackwing any good?), Kia Stinger (no manual, which I could maybe cope with but I hear the auto box is not great?), Genesis G70 (no manual, pushing the price limit with the 3.3T, no idea how much of a PITA genesis is to work on/deal with as a brand), Audi RS3 (turns out used ones are stupid expensive)). Any suggestions?

Scionix fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 14, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stinger and G70 are practically the same car. G70 used to come in a manual, but only with the 4 banger, which is not nearly as fun as the 3.3.

I had a fully loaded stinger and it was better than it had any right to be for what it cost.

Everyone loves the Veloster N, FWD or no. I've never driven one though.

I have a FoRS that is an absolute beast on track but it has oil cooling issues and is very uncomfortable for a daily driver.

Golf R maybe?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 14, 2022

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

5-series wagon.
Is Cayenne too fat for you?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
oh wow! a fiesta ST with low miles!

oh no.

OH NO

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=646730877

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Everything makes sense except the track day requirement. Isn’t that what the Cayman is for? If you’re leaning towards the daily driver end of capability, the Golf R sounds fairly ideal.

How big is the dog? because the FiST is not a big car at all. It’s also FWD so if you’re open to FWD the CTR is right there, as is the Mini and the Clubman if you are considering FiST sized objects.

Otherwise, manual transmission requirement is going to sink this enterprise for new vehicles. You’ve already mentioned the Veloster and GR Corolla.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Macan S
TTS depending on dog

Looks like 340i Touring etc didn't make it over there. :sad:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

5-series wagon.
Is Cayenne too fat for you?

The manual requirement makes this a non-starter. Cayennes are great for what they are, but the manuals they put in them feel like they're out of a 1980s Isuzu Trooper. And are only available on the non-fun-motors (unless you can find a GTS).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

There's always a WRX, but the new one is ugly as sin and they killed the STI. Used market for those is a bit hit or miss depending how douchey the previous owner was with deleting the emissions controls and throwing random engine parts on without getting a proper tune on it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How'd the BRZ get overlooked? Dog can ride in the back seat, excellent manual, might need some additional cooling and maybe brakes before standing up to track days but is a good place to start.

Edit: I guess it's a coupe, not a sedan, hatchback, or fastback.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

How'd the BRZ get overlooked? Dog can ride in the back seat, excellent manual, might need some additional cooling and maybe brakes before standing up to track days but is a good place to start.

Edit: I guess it's a coupe, not a sedan, hatchback, or fastback.

the cayman is too small for the dog, I kind of doubt the Toyobaru is going to work. but if the dog fits, this is a good choice. the toyota version looks better

I also realized after my prior post that OP is likely replacing the Cayman with the new car rather than keeping the Cayman so: M3/4

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Yeah, we’re trying to stick to one car. The dog is a big boy, so no toyabaru. I might just go test drive a Veloster N and see if I can get over being an FWD snob. Thank you for all the suggestions! Has anyone driven/owned an acura TLX?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably going to say Golf R here. Fits your needs, you can find a nice 2019-2021 for around $45k if you look hard enough. I fit 3 dogs (2 big 1 pug) into the back of a GTI with the seats folded down and had plenty of room for wife and luggage on a road trip. We weren't comfortable but we fit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really want to say Ioniq 6 looks cool and is available in RWD but no idea about pricing, availability not until next year, etc

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Also, I have never been much of a BMW person, but it’s hard to argue with the 3 series for my requirements. What years are the ones to look for if I am going used?

e: gonna go drive a gt2 stinger today, see how it goes

Scionix fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 14, 2022

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
gt2 stinger was fun, car is way faster than you think it is, but you can feel the weight for sure. Gearbox is mediocre. Tons of space with the foldable seats though.

Dealer did the usual bullshit to try and get me to buy the car today right now limited time offer etc. One thing though, they had a "used car inspection" fee on their quote for like 1,700 dollars, which seems like complete horseshit to me, especially because its not some certified pre-owned deal. Can someone confirm that fee is indeed bullshit?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Every fee is bullshit. The question is if they care (they do not)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Scionix posted:

gt2 stinger was fun, car is way faster than you think it is, but you can feel the weight for sure. Gearbox is mediocre. Tons of space with the foldable seats though.

Dealer did the usual bullshit to try and get me to buy the car today right now limited time offer etc. One thing though, they had a "used car inspection" fee on their quote for like 1,700 dollars, which seems like complete horseshit to me, especially because its not some certified pre-owned deal. Can someone confirm that fee is indeed bullshit?

Of course it's bullshit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I posted a bit back about spending all my money buying a Mazda 3 from Carvana. I'm happy to say they delivered the title to me on time so I can't say anything too bad about them. Except for the fact they insisted that their registration service was totally taking care of my plates and they were on the way. Actually impossible considering my tricky property tax situation but you do you fam. They did however do the title transfer themselves which saved me time. I *probably* wouldn't buy from Carvana again but my experience was positive.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ve got a minivan coming from them so I hope it works out lol

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

The worst is the first gen Mazda 3, I swear.

Its the same on my Mazda 2, that stupid 2 piece air filter?
The 2005 and only the 2005 Subaru Legacy has the dumbest cabin air filter. The cabin air filter was an option and I thank christ every day my previous owner didn't get it, even if my car is dusty AF. So the air filter if you have it is by the glovebox. There is supposed to be a panel here to remove the filter. Well, they forgot it. So they issued a TSB and the dealer replaced the glovebox. Apparently the hole is smaller than the filter (I have no idea how), so you have to start dashboard dissembly anyhow.
This is what I've heard because instead I just have a dusty car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you have to unbolt a fuse panel to get at them. With the right tools I suppose it's alright but the plastic on the fuse panel can get broken easily so ugh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

The cabin air filter was an option

:wtc:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Surprised you didn’t know this in the industry! No ‘pollen’ filter or optional filter was the status quo on super cheap cars for a while there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Umm that wasn't something most people expected at the time

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cabin air filters just weren't "a thing" on a lot of vehicles if they were designed prior to 2000 or so. WJs had a dealer-option cabin air filter, and those things were pushing $40k when new 20 years ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Surprised you didn’t know this in the industry! No ‘pollen’ filter or optional filter was the status quo on super cheap cars for a while there.

Huh, the only car I had without a CAF was a Ranger. 2005 seems awfully late for that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I bet the 1989 Isuzu Pickup I drove from 89-94 (MSRP $7,800) didn't have a "Cabin Air filter", or such luxuries as air conditioning or maybe even anti lock brakes either :newlol:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 15, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The stripper Ram 1500 pickup at work didn't come with a CAF in 2015, jesus christ. They're super easy to add though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Inner Light posted:

The sticker on this car was $29k though (Legacy GT wagon). Which was kinda a lot then.
This was the non-limited, IDK if the limited came one stock.