Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's also the spiteful part of me that would want to waste all their time with performative stunts.

Edit, page snipe: this is in reference to some bigoted rear end in a top hat private school that larches applied to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If it were a company that would be Glassdoor Review Time

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

ConfusedUs posted:

Steps you could take without breaking the bank:

--Call local employment lawyers and ask for a free consultation. Explain what happened, ask if it's worth pursuing, ask if they take cases pro bono (free) or on contingency (they take part of the winnings), and, importantly, ask what you should do when/if you run into this situation again.

--File complaints with the feds and the ACLU
https://action.aclu.org/legal-intake/report-lgbtqhiv-discrimination
https://www.eeoc.gov/youth/how-file-complaint
Yeah this is illegal and I hope you have the bandwidth to report it, it sucks that stuff like this gets away with often due to the people affected not having the time/money/etc to start the process. I wish there was more easily accessible legal support for stuff like this.

Really hope you don't have to ever deal with that issue again, you're amazing and we're all rooting for you!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ConfusedUs posted:

Steps you could take without breaking the bank:

--Call local employment lawyers and ask for a free consultation. Explain what happened, ask if it's worth pursuing, ask if they take cases pro bono (free) or on contingency (they take part of the winnings), and, importantly, ask what you should do when/if you run into this situation again.

--File complaints with the feds and the ACLU
https://action.aclu.org/legal-intake/report-lgbtqhiv-discrimination
https://www.eeoc.gov/youth/how-file-complaint

Yeah, call those assholes out on it if you've got the mental/emotional bandwidth to do so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just be careful and state the facts - I'm sure we all know 100% what's gone on here but if you draw the conclusion and say that, you could end up with the school providing evidence that they had someone lined up who withdrew their application between your two applications and then getting lawyers involved. Let the reader figure it out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Extra illegal in Colorado, where being trans is a protected class.

You don't really need to engage financially, there are plenty of orgs that will eagerly help

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

Spoilered for whining about gender in tech stuff.

This makes me so angry. I'm angry for you. And sorry you're experiencing this poo poo.

Also, don't feel like you need to spoiler stuff for "whining" about gender in tech. It's not whining and it's important. Unless of course you want to spoiler for reasons.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

This makes me so angry. I'm angry for you. And sorry you're experiencing this poo poo.

Also, don't feel like you need to spoiler stuff for "whining" about gender in tech. It's not whining and it's important. Unless of course you want to spoiler for reasons.

heh for a second I forgot that's what larches had written before the main post and thought you were summarizing her post and was like "hold the gently caress up, it should not be dismissed as whining".

It's not whining and it's important.

:hfive: :emptyquote:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Scene: Larches' resume comes across the desk of the Personnel Director And Also Volleyball Coach. The director's hand reaches towards it, but another hand reaches out of frame to snatch it away.

Director: "Hey hold on, what are you doing?"

The nameless silhouette behind semi opaque glass chuckles darkly, and walks out. You can barely hear the murmur as they exit: "That's none of your concern"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

larchesdanrew posted:

Spoilered for whining about gender in tech stuff.

Prefacing this with reminding you that I'm trans.

I found a job opening for an IT Director at a local private school, which is exactly my skillset. I have receipts from my work at the high school that are all very impressive. I redid my resume to be more aesthetically pleasing and sent it along. A couple hours later I got a response that they had just filled the position and best of luck to me. A real shame.

But it started eating at me. Why was the job listing still up? LinkedIn only reported one applicant and I haven't seen this job advertised anywhere but their own website, that doesn't even show up when you google "Private Schools in [area]."

My natural conclusion was either nepotism or discrimination (my pronouns are in my resume).

I submitted my old pre-transition resume with the same info, but just my deadname listed. An hour later they asked when I could come in for an interview.

Hilariously crushing, especially coming from a school that specifically touts diversity and inclusiveness in its mission statement and courses.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm not finding jobs specifically because I'm a woman/trans. I mean, I know that's it, and I knew this was the reality when I decided to publicly transition but oof, it's so demoralizing.

Bleh. I just want one solid break. It's been like 10 years of low blow after low blow.

Oh well, we keep trucking ever onward.

Show up to the interview anyway. Play dumb if they ask about the bait and switch. Read back parts of their diversity and inclusivity statement off their website if they get lovely at you. Might as well waste their time and rub their noses in it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Show up to the interview anyway. Play dumb if they ask about the bait and switch. Read back parts of their diversity and inclusivity statement off their website if they get lovely at you. Might as well waste their time and rub their noses in it.

This is exactly what I meant by performative stunts at the top of the page.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Welcome to being a woman in IT. Sorry but it sucks, and you will run into this kind of thing all the time. I realize it sounds very defeatist but pursuing some kind of pseudo legal action against this place isn't worth your time/energy/emotional bandwidth because it probably won't change a goddamn thing!! Leaving a public review somewhere is of course also fraught with danger, considering the place has all your contact info and job history. I've been in this position and in the end I did...nothing because I was too worried about being blacklisted.

When I got desperate at one point years and years ago I considered using a common masculine form of my first name on my resume because I was convinced that is what wasn't getting me in the door but I couldn't bring myself to do it knowing anywhere that took fake me over real me wasn't a place I wanted to work anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's still really bad out there across the board. I'm sure it's way worse in Larches' arena, but I also see the racist element as well.

Friend of mine applied for a job he was perfectly qualified for. Got the same type of response with the same type of circumstances. Reworked his resume in look, but the same information, and anglicized his name. Got an immediate callback.

I also hope you have the bandwidth to at least do some complaint filing, because bullshit like that should be called out at minimum.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, its pretty lovely and there's no excuse for it.

Our industry has improved quite a bit on this front over the years but still has a long ways to go.

All of us that are able to benefit from systemic privilege need to speak out whenever possible. Make sure things like what happened to larches and others can't get swept under the rug.

Being silent is being complicit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pretend I posted this in the right place

Sirotan posted:

At the very least I recommend naming and shaming in this thread.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*ignore, wrong thread.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i recently left my job of seven years at a private, religious school, partially due to transgendery but also because i was just sick of working there. i came out when i resigned and they were very gracious about it, but the hr lady also said that they were grateful i resigned because staying on would have put them in "a difficult position," which i took to mean they would have been pressured by bigoted parents and possibly donors not to allow a gender person around their kids, and we all know what side the finance department's bread is buttered on. the bostock decision has exemptions for religious employers and i'm not sure whether i would be covered by it, and if i didn't have an offer in hand it might have been fun to see how it shook out in court. as it is i'm glad to be gone though. i work for the public library now and it rules. i actually feel celebrated and supported rather than merely tolerated, and i bet larches can find something just as good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

libraries are awesome and I'm glad everything shook out ok for you

sucks that this is a thing that happens to anyone

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seriously. It makes me so angry. We still have so much work to do.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It does have one perk, tho its drying up. Makes annoying recruiters go away surprisingly quick when you just correct the name/gender they address you as.

Particularly when I do it is a hyper masculine voice, tho thats getting harder as I fall out of practice

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Seriously. It makes me so angry. We still have so much work to do.

yeah it stinks!! especially since we (trans people and women especially) are like, one of the current Types of (figurative) Guys that everyone likes to argue about and get mad at right now. i hope no trans employment cases go before the Supreme Court anytime soon because it seems 50/50 whether it’ll end up with a ruling that says trans people don’t actually have to be paid at all

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weedle posted:

yeah it stinks!! especially since we (trans people and women especially) are like, one of the current Types of (figurative) Guys that everyone likes to argue about and get mad at right now. i hope no trans employment cases go before the Supreme Court anytime soon because it seems 50/50 whether it’ll end up with a ruling that says trans people don’t actually have to be paid at all

uhhhhhh

I feel like with this particular shitpile of a supreme court the case that would be brought would be more like deciding whether trans people are legally people. :(

Saw this morning that the five judges got doxxed, and y'know, doxxing is very bad and you should never do it and blah blah but my immediate thought was "GOOD, maybe they'll learn how valuable privacy is".

(they won't but they still deserve it for being absolute dickfaces)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

uhhhhhh

I feel like with this particular shitpile of a supreme court the case that would be brought would be more like deciding whether trans people are legally people. :(

Saw this morning that the five judges got doxxed, and y'know, doxxing is very bad and you should never do it and blah blah but my immediate thought was "GOOD, maybe they'll learn how valuable privacy is".

The person who doxxed them was a 14 year old kid. It's started a whole discussion about how do you handle that if you are a parent. And the leading answers seem to be take them to Disneyland or other theme park.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ice-cream seems like a good first step.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

how do you handle that if you are a parent

teach them how not to get caught

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thomamelas posted:

how do you handle that if you are a parent

Fake edit:

At the staff meeting yesterday my supervisor gave a big presentation on improvements to the service desk that are planned.

It was word for word for word for word exactly what my proposal was the other day. Down to the metaphors.

"I think those are great ideas"
"This is really gonna improve things"
"Excellent work, [supervisor]"

I then had a meeting with the owner regarding my compensation (which didn't increase when I got promoted, if you'll remember). Best he can offer is 4%. I argued for half an hour but hes not budging.

I told him I'd consider it, sent in a PTO form for all of next week, signed off my remote terminal, and turned off my computer.

I'm taking next week off.

I'm likely not going back.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 15, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's brazen poo poo and that sort of cliquey environment at a company is never going away, if you're an outsider then your ideas will always be trash.

gently caress em, their loss.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work in the opposite environment, if you've been there longer than the CEO (5 years) then you don't have new ideas and you're trash. Only new people can come up with good ideas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

I work in the opposite environment, if you've been there longer than the CEO (5 years) then you don't have new ideas and you're trash. Only new people can come up with good ideas.

Ie: he only actually trusts people he hired. Anyone he didn't hire is automatically suspect

Betcha he would treat employees who were brought in through an acquisition similarly

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

It was word for word for word for word exactly what my proposal was the other day. Down to the metaphors.

This portion of the story is depressingly common.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I haven't slept in almost 48 hours I'm not thinking straight. I'm gonna take a break

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 15, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Good luck. After all that bullshit, I'd keep looking regardless of what they offer. It's just business, even if you offer your resignation three weeks after accepting the bump.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd paraphrase your chat log enough so that anybody pasting entire extracts from Teams into Google doesn't find you, but what you're asking for is completely reasonable.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd paraphrase your chat log enough so that anybody pasting entire extracts from Teams into Google doesn't find you.

Oh that's paraphrased from a much longer discussion, don't worry.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's infuriating. Did you call them out on that poo poo?

I hope you can get some rest and get your head back in the career game.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm sorry larches, but after this stretch you will come out even better, I'm sure of it. We all saw it last time with the CE and we will see it again eventually.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

uhhhhhh

I feel like with this particular shitpile of a supreme court the case that would be brought would be more like deciding whether trans people are legally people. :(\

That's basically what I was going to say. Given that I know (and know of, thanks to SA) several trans folks, and one has been a friend since before their transition, not to mention my own kid being Ace, this is a subject I have Strong Opinions about.

quote:

:same:
Sometimes you have to break the rules to make a point.

larchesdanrew posted:

Fake edit:

At the staff meeting yesterday my supervisor gave a big presentation on improvements to the service desk that are planned.

I then had a meeting with the owner regarding my compensation (which didn't increase when I got promoted, if you'll remember). Best he can offer is 4%. I argued for half an hour but hes not budging.

I told him I'd consider it, sent in a PTO form for all of next week, signed off my remote terminal, and turned off my computer.

I'm taking next week off.

I'm likely not going back.

What in the actual gently caress?
Yeah, if you can afford to do so, GTFO. That's just... I have no words.

Thanks Ants posted:

That's brazen poo poo and that sort of cliquey environment at a company is never going away, if you're an outsider then your ideas will always be trash.

gently caress em, their loss.

There's some words. Those will do.
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this bullshit.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks for the support y'all.

I've got one last hail Mary get hosed meeting with my supervisor and the owner tomorrow afternoon.

If it doesn't go my way, I'll be staying in my lane and rapid firing my resume to anyone who will take it.

If it does go my way, I'll be staying in my lane and rapid firing my resume to anyone who will take it, but I'll be making slightly more money while I do it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

holy gently caress I feel like I've really lost it or something.

I've got a user that is moving from one company to another, and they want to bring their emails/contacts etc with, the companies are separate domains and separate O365 tenants. I've exported to PST the stuff from the old company, isn't there a way to import this to the mailbox for new company? User has a mac and the options are different, but I could have sworn there was a way to merge that stuff into the new mailbox.

The big thing is the user wants the stuff available on their phone versus just on the Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MF_James posted:

holy gently caress I feel like I've really lost it or something.

I've got a user that is moving from one company to another, and they want to bring their emails/contacts etc with, the companies are separate domains and separate O365 tenants. I've exported to PST the stuff from the old company, isn't there a way to import this to the mailbox for new company? User has a mac and the options are different, but I could have sworn there was a way to merge that stuff into the new mailbox.

The big thing is the user wants the stuff available on their phone versus just on the Mac.

Are you an administrator of both tenants? Bittitan is the only sane solution. Anything else is so time consuming and stupid that you are better off saying no and dealing with the consequences of no.