Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Panels like these really help me warm up to the new art style.

In other news, I saw this neat beetle in the woods and thought the thread would like it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

So was "check this bug fix check" also spanish or a translator phrasing thing?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

In other news, I saw this neat beetle in the woods and thought the thread would like it too.

drat fine beetle

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That is a neat beetle

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

BattleMaster posted:

That is a neat beetle

It's also a NEET beetle

No education, employment, or training for that small friend

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Devils Affricate posted:

For like 5 seconds! What a tense rear end work environment.

My first tester job was at a type of company that is known in the business as a "tester farm" - no personal electronics were allowed on the building unless stored in a locker, almost all websites were blocked, breaks had to be taken at VERY specific times, and leaving / returning even a minute late/early could get you spoken to by a manager. Talking was generally fine, even if not about testing, but doing anything OTHER than testing (such as what Izawa and NEET did) is a no-no. We would sometimes browse Wikipedia for fun when managers weren't looking, since it was one of the few sites that wasn't blocked.

Hilariously the LP archive wasn't either, so I would also work through a backlog of text LPs. Well, I did for about a month or so before someone caught on and blocked it. Sorry to any other goons that were in on that rare piece of entertainment.

Cool

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

this accurately describes american offices too

Yeah I've worked in a small handful of offices and the only ones that treated people like humans were unionized. Otherwise if you're on the clock you are a productivity robot and anything that isn't production is a flaw that will be addressed by middle managers who exist only for that purpose.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Guess I've just been lucky with all my jobs then. Never worked at a place that punished people for occasional light chit chat. That seems like some psycho poo poo.

I guess the weird part here is mostly how terrified they seem. Like okay, your boss doesn't want you wasting time. Just say "sorry boss, got distracted!" and then go back to your desk. Is he really going to write them up for something like this?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Devils Affricate posted:

I guess the weird part here is mostly how terrified they seem. Like okay, your boss doesn't want you wasting time. Just say "sorry boss, got distracted!" and then go back to your desk. Is he really going to write them up for something like this?

Yes. If you don't have protections (like a union), you can be fired for no reason at all. And bosses are petty assholes. There's no way to prevent yourself from being supervised by someone with a hard-on for harassing underlings.

I've had good bosses in these environments too, but bosses are not hired because they keep employees happy - they are hired to ensure productivity continues.

This is especially true the less specialized/technical your work is. The most oppressive offices were the ones where I did temp work. All electronics in a locker, time tracked to the minute, a single word uttered and your supervisor would look up from their desk to give you a pointed glance.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yes. If you don't have protections (like a union), you can be fired for no reason at all. And bosses are petty assholes. There's no way to prevent yourself from being supervised by someone with a hard-on for harassing underlings.

I mean I get that he can, I just don't get why he would feel so inclined. That kind of poo poo kills morale and rarely actually improves productivity. If my workplace treated me like that I'd be looking for another job ASAP.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Its not like Izawa just spaced out for a second, he pulled out a newspaper ad to read. Neet just had the misfortune of being nearby when the boss walked by.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Oda joined the cult too. NEET joined sincerely but Oda joined to take over and subvert it from within.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is this going to be like Brain Chip Experiment and NEET from the cult timeline will try to take over all the NEETs from the other timeline?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oda just joined to ogle women

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean I get that he can, I just don't get why he would feel so inclined. That kind of poo poo kills morale and rarely actually improves productivity. If my workplace treated me like that I'd be looking for another job ASAP.

Yep. It's reality for a lot of people, at least in the usa. Our work culture is poisonous.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

simplefish posted:

So was "check this bug fix check" also spanish or a translator phrasing thing?

Maybe "double-check this check" or "confirm this check" was better phrasing. He used the same word twice, so so did I.

The author says 萎縮 here, but I think it's a typo and they meant 畏縮, which is how I chose to translate it.

Kin Sake
Jun 19, 2022

Abandon responsibilities
Return to NEET

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brother Make posted:

Maybe "double-check this check" or "confirm this check" was better phrasing. He used the same word twice, so so did I.

The author says 萎縮 here, but I think it's a typo and they meant 畏縮, which is how I chose to translate it.

For reference, in American video game QA teams I'd expect to hear this said in any of the following ways:
"Check this bug fix"
"Check this fix"
"Check this fix verification"

For the full sentence, I'd probably expect "I was having Mr. Izawa also verify this (bug) fix" but any of the ones listed above wouldn't be out of place either

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Somehow I'm thinking Oda was in no particular hurry to get rid of two random young ladies at his door

...Which probably kind of answers the question

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

"Come in here and model for me. I can pay you!"

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

:hmmyes:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

:nyoron:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

Oda joined the cult too. NEET joined sincerely but Oda joined to take over and subvert it from within.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopWqv-eQFM

Also aside, what the gently caress about a workplace locking up your electronics? Suck my dick, that's a hard no. I'm happy to keep my phone on silent and not play with it, but it's kind of critical to have on you for emergencies, for yourself or others.

Oh, an earthquake and the building partially collapsed and you can't get to the phone prison or get out, people are dead and injured, and your internal comms are severed? Guess we will just die then.

Even in our highschools here it's usually a warning if the kids are dicking around before it goes into the teacher's desk until end of class, or at worst, end of day if the kid was being really bad about it. And it's used as a motivational tool too. Finish all your stuff early and are a good student? You can play with your phone until the bell, just no noise.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 13, 2022

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

End of Page 108

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

"Come in here and model for me. I can pay you!"

you called it!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Kin Sake
Jun 19, 2022

Abandon responsibilities
Return to NEET

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Y'ever just take a single day off work and then spiral into a vortex of depression and self loathing?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yes actually

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

the dude cannot stop collecting weird experiences, he's doing a Rohan Kishibe

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah this happened to me hard in my PhD program.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

gay frog chemicals posted:

lmao

the dude cannot stop collecting weird experiences, he's doing a Rohan Kishibe

I did the same thing when some Buddhist evangelists crashed my birthday when I was living in Korea. I was trying to enjoy a cake by myself at home, and they were like, "Oh, can we have some?" I said sure, why not? And then at some point, I ended up doing some strange candle ceremony at their temple later that day.

Unfortunately, this of course caused them to keep trying to call me for a few months. But still worth it for the experience and the story though imo.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

The Daily Life of A Certain NEET: Wah Wah Blah Blah

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's nice that the manager guy seems to be competent

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I do not like the NEET calls in sick timeline, and yet it is the one I am most :f5: about

this comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

CodfishCartographer posted:

Y'ever just take a single day off work and then spiral into a vortex of depression and self loathing?

Lol I did it on monday

I haven't left my bed for more than an hour since