Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're doing butterfly trans sects in the countryside now Norman, I read it in the Mail.

e: 160 used to be the number for Dial-a-Disc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Haven't seen it mentioned here but seeing it reported that from October (until April 2023) a £2 cap is going to be placed on single journey bus fares to help with cost of living and fuel.

This seems pretty good and a big deal for people using expensive rural services, but of course should be made permanent with return fares being capped at £3.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned here but seeing it reported that from October (until April 2023) a £2 cap is going to be placed on single journey bus fares to help with cost of living and fuel.

This seems pretty good and a big deal for people using expensive rural services, but of course should be made permanent with return fares being capped at £3.

That actually is a really good policy IMO, the returns round here cost almost as much as the loving day tickets.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Starting to think you want to do time for something

Anyone says they'll do time I swear I'll do time

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Spangly A posted:

It is, but you can still do that and then submit it normally so you've beaten them, and then you get to make the Tories take time out of the leadership campaign to defend themselves from both sets of headlines

Why wouldn't you force the issue you want? You know the outcome, they just handed labour the only actual win they can get from here, and they chose to let every candidate off the hook

To be fair, they still might. It's yet to be seen if Labour will take a punt on the traditional wording next, or just withdraw now and let the furor of the internet overpower reporters actually reporting why it's not allowed.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiRE7AFXkE

I was gonna film longer but they started buzzing pretty loud and I didn't want to spoil my excellent diplomatic arrangements with them but look at the bees

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Spangly A posted:

What sort of moron can be ruined by someone saying "please fill out the forms properly" in British politics ffs

The sort who claims to be very competent at filling in forms.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Nothingtoseehere posted:

To be fair, they still might. It's yet to be seen if Labour will take a punt on the traditional wording next, or just withdraw now and let the furor of the internet overpower reporters actually reporting why it's not allowed.

I expect they will, and I expect tories to accuse them of flip-flopping after originally refusing the offer. It's also a genuinely bad reason to turn it down, but the precedent is very obviously different. They could have just stuck with "it's allowed".

It's just frustrating to watch the big clever lawyer man flounder around with such dreadful instincts on the one thing hes supposed to be good at

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiRE7AFXkE

I was gonna film longer but they started buzzing pretty loud and I didn't want to spoil my excellent diplomatic arrangements with them but look at the bees

Looking forward to the escalation where you end up going about the place covered in a coating of live bees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

I expect they will, and I expect tories to accuse them of flip-flopping after originally refusing the offer. It's also a genuinely bad reason to turn it down, but the precedent is very obviously different. They could have just stuck with "it's allowed".

It's just frustrating to watch the big clever lawyer man flounder around with such dreadful instincts on the one thing hes supposed to be good at

It's still also clearly just pointless grandstanding, though. They're not going to vote to collapse the government because they're already having a leadership contest to replace him. If labour had done a no confidence before the tories turned on boris they might have had a point, but showing up after the tories have already decided to get rid of him saying NEEERRR WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A GENERAL ELECTION BECAUSE WE DON'T LIKE THE GUY YOU'RE VOTING TO GET RID OF" just looks sad and stupid.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
So, how is a leftist who cares about identity politics supposed to feel that of the eight Conservative leadership contenders, only two are white men?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We are a very progressive country, you can be any colour or gender you like as long as you're a wanker.

Alternatively: the current state of the conservative party is a product of them burning through all of their well established, politically connected types over the course of the last twelve years or so, as a result of numerous destructive and in many ways unpopular political projects, until they are left with people who under "normal" conditions would be nobodies, and it is perhaps telling of the selection criteria of the conservative party that this process has gone through all the white dudes first.

What you're looking at is everybody who couldn't get a ministerial job until the tories ended up at johnson. The home guard of the conservative party, people who are (for reasons we could not speculate on) considered unfit for service by the party until all other options have been exhausted.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 12, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halisnacks posted:

So, how is a leftist who cares about identity politics supposed to feel that of the eight Conservative leadership contenders, only two are white men?

I think that their policies are absolutely poisonous if you care about identity politics. It's like Priti Patel saying if she had been Home Secretary then her parents wouldn't have gotten into the country. These people's only identity is "Tory scum".

It's like Thatcher as first female PM. I suppose it's nice the barrier was broken but the Thatcher years were not great for women, Tories only care for themselves

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 12, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the damage any of these Tory cunts do will far, far outweigh any actual benefit from them being non-white and/or female

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 12, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tarnop posted:

fuctifino helped me out with the process of getting prescribed medical cannabis, so definitely message him if you're thinking of going that route

Thanks dude!

:hmmyes:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Halisnacks posted:

I'll make sure to be race and gender inclusive when I call them rude names

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Halisnacks posted:

Isn't part of being left accepting diversity and not making gross assumptions such as homogeneity of beliefs/values amongst [insert race/religion/gender/whatever here]?
Is it not racist to assume any PoC is automatically 'a good guy'.
You only have to look at various leaders around the world to see that isn't the case.

I do think though that the Labour party /unions have been dominated by old white guys for way too long.
Eg women (not a lot of racial diversity round my neck of South Wales) - my CLP (when I was a member) was pretty good re women's representation and on the whole women were well represented in senior roles without needing 'all women shortlists' and so on. But some who had been in other Welsh CLPs said the experience was completely different elsewhere where women found it very difficult to be heard.

I do recall going to an EETPU meeting in my 20s (that was the union at my work) and I waltzed in to a dark and smokey pub basement in central London to be confronted with several old white guys who looked at me like I was a space alien.*

(* the fact that my then 5 year old nephew used to call me Space Alien Beer Brain a few years later on account of my Tankard sweatshirt is beside the point).
Can't think why.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 12, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

None of these cunts is going to do anything to further the cause(s) of minority groups, so I'm happy calling them all cunts and wishing an unpleasant death upon the lot of them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ever relevant tweet thread

https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1237061781631258624

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

red letter media aren't that bad

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OwlFancier posted:

red letter media aren't that bad

Rich Evans Chinese Answerphone Message.mp4

:eyepop:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Have they finalized the list of gently caress nuggets that are still in the leadership race yet?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I get free buses now because my eyes are on the wonk. Of course I never loving go anywhere but when I do, it doesn't cost me anything! I could be anywhere! Look out!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

fluppet posted:

Have they finalized the list of gently caress nuggets that are still in the leadership race yet?

Badenoch, Braverman, Hunt, Mordaunt, Sunak, Truss, Tugendhat and Zahawi

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Julio Cruz posted:

Badenoch, Braverman, Hunt, Mordaunt, Sunak, Truss, Tugendhat and Zahawi

is there nothing to be said for a revolution

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Absolute state of the Labour Party, christ

https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1546962835569360896?s=21&t=LEe4Lz8RjpHNpOoJ9pb5xA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:wtc:

did one of thatcher's cabinets just fall through a timewarp and land in the modern labour party

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's not fully-costed innit

To be more charitable sometimes there is weird 4D chess with amendments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't be seen to support wildly unpopular woke insanity such as feeding hungry children, like noted pariah footballsman marcus rashford.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Why do the lords even need to be whipped ffs they’re not up for re-election

gently caress Labour

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

also from the tweet thread hmbol:

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1546932571501727746

let us not be too hasty to feed hungry children lest they cease to be ambitious

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That's an extremely Frank Fields view.

Thankfully we don't hear from him anymore.

e: incidentally he's now a cross-bench peer but didn't bother to vote

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 12, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

There was a big one in my bedroom last night

i was sort of skimming the thread and didn't realise that this was in relation to moths, and not to votes of no confidence

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Looke posted:

Why do the lords even need to be whipped ffs they’re not up for re-election

actually yes this is a good point i haven't really thought to wonder why the lords care what the whips say. the potential for other, even cushier non-jobs down the line i guess?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Immortan Keith, probably

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i was sort of skimming the thread and didn't realise that this was in relation to moths, and not to votes of no confidence

Oh i always win the vote of confidence, because I'm the only one voting.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

I read the article, it's still not good but that's not the sort of ambition he's talking about. He's saying that there are a bunch of human rights that we should be fighting for and settling for just fighting for a right to food is unambitious

e: relevant quote

quote:

Advocates of a ‘right to food’ often point to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which says that “everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control”.

Pulling food out of that to stand alone means reducing our ambition for our people and our country, not extending it. Prisoners are guaranteed food – the rest of us should have the power to exercise freedom of choice. We need to lift our eyes to the prize, not make do with hot meals.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 12, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then I entirely disagree because security for the basic means of survival are something that nobody has yet provided and would help tremendously with bargaining power.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 12, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No! We can't only have good things! WE MUST ONLY ACCEPT PERFECT THINGS

Just - he's got a point in there somewhere but loving hell, when you're arguing against feeding the hungry you need to rethink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Then I entirely disagree because security for the basic means of survival are something that nobody has yet provided and would help tremendously with bargaining power.

Yeah, that's why I think it's still not good