Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I just ended up using the infinite durability weapons for the third cycle through the Bouncer missions. They're pretty dang strong and not having to worry about durability is a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

you never ever have to play a fair match of shogi. there's always a challenge mode and winning the first easiest challenge repeatedly will count for completion metrics

e: same cannot be said for mahjong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the good news is that mahjong pwns

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Correct

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Uh I think you’ll find the Official Thread Position is nobody knows why Majima is the way he is from 1 onwards and it’s a totally jarring mystery that can never be solved, ever.

I liked the note that his character persona is just a combination of the personality traits of the three Dojima bosses guys who keep trying to kill you

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I liked the note that his character persona is just a combination of the personality traits of the three Dojima bosses guys who keep trying to kill you

Going from Omi Alliance to Tojo he must have been like "better act like a loving psycho to fit in" and he wasn't really wrong

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

you never ever have to play a fair match of shogi. there's always a challenge mode and winning the first easiest challenge repeatedly will count for completion metrics

e: same cannot be said for mahjong

Ooooh poo poo, shogi might be possible then saw a video on an easy way to do it too. Okay lol just gonna do that because Shogi is a cool game in concept but I'm not fuckin Deep Blue.

Mahjong owns so I'm looking forward to getting those. Already got one of them from using peerless tile on whatever story quest required me to play. I've been avoiding Mahjong so far just so I keep playing Yakuza instead of a weird solo mahjong simulator all day. Good thing they don't put pachinko in these.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just seems unfair to call majima one note when you play as kiryu. i dont consider either to be one-note but if i did, they're both both really good notes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I very begrudgingly learned enough mahjong to get the final friend in Judgment, but even that was only because the final case was locked behind it. I will never do any of the completion lists :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they used to have pachinko/pachislot sims in the game and my takeaway is that pachinko is fucken stupid

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Uh I think you’ll find the Official Thread Position is nobody knows why Majima is the way he is from 1 onwards and it’s a totally jarring mystery that can never be solved, ever.
Rubber psychosis.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I learned how to play mahjong from cyricz and I regret nothing

It actually isn't as complicated as it first appears; the main thing that helped it click for me was learning not to smash that pon/chi/kan button every time it appears and instead to just focus on making normal hands. Once you get the basics down, it becomes pretty fun, though a lot of the nuances and intermediate+ strategies are still way over my head. I got good enough to finish the judgment substory, anyway

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also dont get discouraged if someone riichis on turn 2 and gets some ridiculous hand because there are clearly some weird luck mechanics in Yakuza mahjong which is sad since it's otherwise a really fun SP mahjong game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I very begrudgingly learned enough mahjong to get the final friend in Judgment, but even that was only because the final case was locked behind it. I will never do any of the completion lists :colbert:

lol i bought the set of the thickest chonkier mahjong tiles i could find online last time i played mahjong in zero. It's a really fun game and I think the only annoying/frustrating part about it is the scoring hands have senseless names, and the tiles are covered in chinese. seriously put arabic numbers on em, swap the glyphs out for some nice pictures and non-language symbols, and it'd be an even more globally popular game among wider groups. its just odd to me that even playing japanese riichii they're using chinese terms and symbols on the pieces-- and whoever designed this game in the first place...come on, you can do better than writing the same word nine times and sticking a number above it. insanely they do make something called american mahjong but the tiles there are basically even more confusing and messy and the rules kind of make the game less strategic or fun.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they used to have pachinko/pachislot sims in the game and my takeaway is that pachinko is fucken stupid

in my head, pachinko is basically peggle and peggle is really really fun, and sorely absent from the world since ea killed popcap. seems like such a basic idea someone else would make a better version by now but w/e. the pachislots in Y7 IIRC were just exactly slot machines, no idea where there was a pachinko element at all. just horrible slot machines with obtuse nonsense to accompany gambling chaos. dont think i ever got those off my completion list.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also dont get discouraged if someone riichis on turn 2 and gets some ridiculous hand because there are clearly some weird luck mechanics in Yakuza mahjong which is sad since it's otherwise a really fun SP mahjong game

i think all the gambling games are. which is probably good since the AI will never be human and most players at most wanna scratch off completion list without spending 5 hours playing poker against bad ai. i definitely got some "royal joker" level luck a couple times last night completing haruka's deal. I'd go a dozen hands with crap dealt while the flop obviously got someone a flush or straight. then there'd be a funky moment and i'd clearly be being dealt several rounds of god hands in a row, like in the exact same way of using joker card where it gets you exactly a hand and turns back off for next draw. i swear the ai even knows sometimes because even if you dont bet some ai would fold.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 12, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's because the game is Chinese in origin op

the character tiles represent "myriads" which is why there's a repeated character, it basically represents 10k to 100k. all the suits are representative of money, thr dots are coins, and the "bamboo" are actually rolls/strings of coins

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They still do they only got removed from the PC versions of 4 and 5 iirc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah i know its chinese but i think its unusual to play and manufacture games for yourself in a language you do not speak where you live and play it. mahjong in particular shouldn't require literacy, if you know numbers and pictures, you should be able to play and it would be trivial to redesign a set of mahjong tiles neutral enough that anyone from anywhere could play together.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that LAD is probably the best-written of the games so far, but yeah, it's representative of the tone of the series as a whole, so if you're enjoying this, you should like the rest of them too.

I'll also echo that Kiryu is a very different kind of protagonist from Ichiban, he's much more of a stoic, lawful good, honor-obsessed kind of martial arts guy, but the game gets a lot of comedy mileage by sending that fish out of water, I grew to really like Kiryu by the end. The hardest part of getting used to Kiryu is trying not to let Majima overshadow him if you start with 0, probably

if 0 is your first game, man does kiryu come across as an rear end in a top hat. theres a scene where makoto is crying about being basically a sex slave for years and being blind and not sure if she can go on and kiryu is so profoundly uninterested that its not even clear hes listening

*a blind girl breaks down into tears as she fully grasps the reality of how her entire life of extreme hardship and torture could have been monumentally different if literally anything different happened*

kiryu: yes but it is inexcusable to cry, even for thirty seconds

makoto: life has been a never ending series of betrayal, loss and torture and now everyone wants to kill me and im not even sure if theres a reason to be trying to survive their attempts

kiryu: did i remember to feed nugget

its mostly just the main story though. kiryu shows more sympathy and compassion in those for people trying to kill him or sex pests that run telephone shops than he does to a blind girl

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 12, 2022

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Khanstant posted:

yeah i know its chinese but i think its unusual to play and manufacture games for yourself in a language you do not speak where you live and play it. mahjong in particular shouldn't require literacy, if you know numbers and pictures, you should be able to play and it would be trivial to redesign a set of mahjong tiles neutral enough that anyone from anywhere could play together.

People have done this. It's nowhere near as popular because as it turns out most people don't want to strip all cultural history from what they engage in.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The thing about Majima is he started the series as just the silly knife guy, and then eventually they started to drip-feed some character development into him after 4-5 games. It's just that the game where they finally decided to give him a proper character arc was also the prequel game designed as an on-ramp for new players. The way Majima's story is presented makes a lot more sense if you look at 5 before 0.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 12, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tonfa posted:

People have done this. It's nowhere near as popular because as it turns out most people don't want to strip all cultural history from what they engage in.

My mom plays Mahjong with the English-adjusted tiles with other boomer-age women.

It was very shocking when I found out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tonfa posted:

American-style mah jong has existed since the depression and is a p important part of jewish culture at this point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it also doesn't do anything other than add English language indices to the tiles (and use a special thin tile size which requires scrabble-like tile racks) and iirc the popularization of mahjong in the US in the first place was partly due to a fascination with Chinese/"orientalist" culture and aesthetics around that time period

And even then they use certain Chinese terms like chow/pung/gong (chii/pon/kan in the Japanese game's pronunciation)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tonfa posted:

where? i really looked at there's not any tile sets like I described. I've been trying to get a mahjong game among friends goin and i kinda want a second smaller set

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Lotus Aura posted:

I just ended up using the infinite durability weapons for the third cycle through the Bouncer missions. They're pretty dang strong and not having to worry about durability is a godsend.

this is my plan, since I'm on ps4 and cheating is not an option! probably gonna hold out for premium adventure for the infinite pistol as an ace in the hole though.

other replay impressions: as insane as kiwami 2's plot is, i still think it's one of the more coherent in the series. 4 and 5 stand out to me as being the worst offenders, where i don't think i knew what was going on like halfway through each game. maybe that will change replaying those, but I kinda doubt it.

this is not to knock 5 too hard bc i think it's still my favorite just under 0, for sheer quantity of things.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
My recommendation if you enjoyed LAD is given Judgement 1 and 2 a go. I enjoyed Zero but in some ways Judgement also has a similar dynamic to LAD in terms of having a more relaxed lead (and only one), some fun side missions (especially in J2 - although not as crazy as in other Yakuza I liked the contrast between the super serious main plot and side gigs, which are more credible for Yagami to participate in as a detective), and most importantly a strong supporting cast which gives a similar family vibe to LAD just more serious, IMO.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

doctor iono posted:

this is my plan, since I'm on ps4 and cheating is not an option! probably gonna hold out for premium adventure for the infinite pistol as an ace in the hole though.

other replay impressions: as insane as kiwami 2's plot is, i still think it's one of the more coherent in the series. 4 and 5 stand out to me as being the worst offenders, where i don't think i knew what was going on like halfway through each game. maybe that will change replaying those, but I kinda doubt it.

this is not to knock 5 too hard bc i think it's still my favorite just under 0, for sheer quantity of things.

I agree with you, I liked 5 a ton as a video game, but if you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you what most of the plot was. I do plan to some day do a replay of the series where I just skip all the substories to see if the plot makes any more sense that way, but I've got a backlog to get through first

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ZiegeDame posted:

The thing about Majima is he started the series as just the silly knife guy, and then eventually they started to drip-feed some character development into him after 4-5 games. It's just that the game where they finally decided to give him a proper character arc was also the prequel game designed as an on-ramp for new players. The way Majima's story is presented makes a lot more sense if you look at 5 before 0.
In the original PS2 version of Yakuza Majima isn't the silly knife guy as much as he's a dangerously unhinged, sickeningly violent psychopath. Like the first time he meets Kiryu he more or less threatens to rape Yumi, and if there's a running joke involving Majima in the game it's that he likes beating his underlings to death.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SubG posted:

In the original PS2 version of Yakuza Majima isn't the silly knife guy as much as he's a dangerously unhinged, sickeningly violent psychopath. Like the first time he meets Kiryu he more or less threatens to rape Yumi, and if there's a running joke involving Majima in the game it's that he likes beating his underlings to death.

In a story that is full of people doing terrible things to innocent people for money, Majima stands out as doing terrible things to innocent people because he'll get to fight Kiryu. Everything he does in that game can be boiled down to him asking "Will this piss Kiryu off enough that he'll want to fight me?" He keeps failing to carry out Shimano's orders because he cares more about fighting Kiryu than he does about the money everyone else is chasing. That's the joke, such as it is. Yakuza 1 hadn't really figured out the humor side of the franchise yet.

Mind you I only played Kiwami, though my understanding is that all the main story scenes that weren't obviously added for the new version were extremely faithful to the original.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I agree with you, I liked 5 a ton as a video game, but if you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you what most of the plot was. I do plan to some day do a replay of the series where I just skip all the substories to see if the plot makes any more sense that way, but I've got a backlog to get through first

The one plot thread that unifies most of the stories in 5 is "What the gently caress is Majima's deal, anyway?"

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 13, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, every “proper” cutscene is pretty much 1:1 with the PS2 version but Kiwami adds new conversations in between that on the overworld walking with people, as well as at least one scene where Majima gets hosed up in a tag team fight with Kiryu to explain why he’s hosed up when he drives the truck into Ichiban’s house.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ZiegeDame posted:

That's the joke, such as it is. Yakuza 1 hadn't really figured out the humor side of the franchise yet.
No, it's really more that the original is a conventional yakuza drama and it's played more or less completely straight. Majima does go way the gently caress out of his way to fight Kiryu, but it's not because he's the lol wackyrandom sidekick he'll eventually morph into, it's because he's a dangerously unstable criminal trying to assert his dominance. We're supposed to think he'd beat an underling to death for not showing proper respect. He's willing to take hostages and threaten to kill them to get what he wants. It's not a joke, he's supposed to be a bad guy.

Tonally, Kiwami is a bit of a mess because they interleave that Majima with the wacky Majima Everywhere Majima and they're really not the same character.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even 1 to 2 Majima goes from Kiryu not wanting to be around Majima at all to being friendly with each other

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
It's been a while since I played Kiwami and it all kind of blurs together, but didn't Mahima drive a big truck into Shangri-La to (indirectly) help out Kiryu? I could see that being the tipping point in that relationship if it happened in 1.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
iirc he just crashed the truck because he's extra. Still just wanted to fight kiryu

Shangri-la does have a small moment of showing he has some sort of moral code since he lets the woman go as soon as she rejects him, apparently that was even in the original?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, Majima drives a truck into a building and threatens to kill a bunch of women until Kiryu agrees to fight him. After Kiryu beats him he stops all that poo poo and gives Kiryu what he wants. That's how the crazy violent psychopath turns out to actually be the most honorable of all the antagonists. I suppose you could interpret that as him ceding dominance to the stronger man, but "he actually only cares about the fighting for it's own sake" fits just as well in the context of the first game, and fits much better with the context of the rest of the series.

Also, the baseball scene is funny, just a really dark comedy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Guys stop making me want to replay the good parts of Kiwami as I struggle to get through Y4 again to unlock the Amon fight :gonk:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Y4 Amon is a nightmare, specifically Saejima's part. godspeed

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
If you don't care about honorable battle the solution to pretty much all the Y3 to Y5 Amon fights is guns. Lots of guns. Just roll up with every character packing /a dozen shotguns in their pockets and the Amon clan melts.

Just finished replaying Y5, and while I wouldn't say the plot is incoherent or anything, even by Yakuza standards it's reliant on sequences where there's a dramatic noise, Kiryu turns and says 'No...you...it can't be!' and a character who you last saw getting shot or comatose in the hospital or whatever three chapters ago steps out of the shadows and is just suddenly there with no explanation, and then launches into a monologue where they explain their motivation and role in the plot. By the time you get to the finale it happens so often that it wraps back around to being funny (imo).

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 13, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khanstant posted:

where? i really looked at there's not any tile sets like I described. I've been trying to get a mahjong game among friends goin and i kinda want a second smaller set

almost all sets sold in the US will be either American sets (you don't want these because they use tile racks and can't stand on their own) or Chinese/HK sets, and all of these generally will have indices with the number/letter in the corner.

It's actually kind of hard to get Japanese sets here - a few sellers have them and they're mainly notable for being really, really small compared to Chinese sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ZiegeDame posted:

Yeah, Majima drives a truck into a building and threatens to kill a bunch of women until Kiryu agrees to fight him. After Kiryu beats him he stops all that poo poo and gives Kiryu what he wants. That's how the crazy violent psychopath turns out to actually be the most honorable of all the antagonists. I suppose you could interpret that as him ceding dominance to the stronger man, but "he actually only cares about the fighting for it's own sake" fits just as well in the context of the first game, and fits much better with the context of the rest of the series.
...which is not the "silly knife guy" character he eventually becomes.

I mean I think you're still mostly reading the character in the original Yakuza in terms of everything you know about him from later games. When it first came out on PS2, the original game read exactly like a straightforward, on-the-level yakuza story, strongly influenced by jitsuroku eiga films in general and Fukasaku's Battles Without Honor and Humanity series in particular. And the original version of Majima reads very much like a stock character in that context, the unstable and violent thug there to contrast with the I-wish-this-was-a-ninkyo-eiga-film stoic and straightlaced Kiryu.

The silly knife guy Majima becomes...and for that matter the basically-honest-guy-adopting-the-mad-dog-persona that's the second layer of retcon...isn't really compatible with holding a knife to a woman's throat, telling her she looks "delicious" and asking her "How about it? Why don't you be my bitch?" The silly knife guy doesn't randomly beat people to death. And the silly knife guy, Kiryu's lolrandom BFF, absolutely loving doesn't kidnap Haruka. Like in the sequel, kidnapping Haruka is presented as so beyond the pale to the "honerable" yakuza that the mid-level antagonist who does it gets killed by the top-level antagonist for playing too dirty.

Silly knife guy Majima is weird and you might not want to invite him to your next bbq, but he's fundamentally harmless. Original PS2 Yakuza Majima is absolutely not intended to be harmless, he's absolutely presented as a credible antagonist, somebody that we're actually supposed to worry might snap at any moment and seriously injure or kill somebody because that's the way we consistently see him behave.