Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maybe 0.2 + more Warp Magic than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Broken Record Talk posted:

Probably worth pointing out that the Xiphon is absolute broken bullshit at 105 points, to the point where its cost has almost got to be a typo, which is the main issue with the 3 planes in the PDF.

If you want to be “that guy”, take nothing but Xiphons and Contemptors lol

Have you played with/against one yet? Was thinking of getting one and I was wondering how undwieldy the combination of 20" min move / one 90° pivot / only front hull mounts was.

But yes, five twin- linked, roll-your-invuln-or-instantly-die weapons seems pretty drat good for 105 points

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Ristolaz posted:

Have you played with/against one yet? Was thinking of getting one and I was wondering how undwieldy the combination of 20" min move / one 90° pivot / only front hull mounts was.

But yes, five twin- linked, roll-your-invuln-or-instantly-die weapons seems pretty drat good for 105 points

Not yet this edition, but my local meta was pretty flyer heavy last edition, and no one ever seemed to struggle with lining up shots. Send it in on a diagonal, and unless someone really has their stuff well hidden, you will be able to blast it. 105 points is just stupid cheap for the amount of firepower it can put out, even if it’s fragile.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, this looks okay for Tyrants. Thanks, Broken Record. The actual join feels unsteady so I may need to reglue it in the future, and I probably should have kept it separate for painting... ah well.

Setting up a half squad of MkVI as well so I can see if I can actually paint these guys, and, uh... wow, these sprues are way less friendly to the builder than the old ones. I appreciate the optionally notched arms, but everything else is a step back. Pinning subassemblies to paint without interfering with the tolerances is going to be painful.

Sergeant melee weapons: not really necessary or worth considering as "standard"? Not building the sergeant as one of the first 5, but thinking ahead. List I wrote up didn't have them with anything special, but apparently that's not the usual method. (I'm not putting a power fist on every guy.)

And yes, I know the right shoulder is hosed up, I tried and failed to break it off and reposition it. Future models will be fixed.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2022

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Record Talk posted:

Probably worth pointing out that the Xiphon is absolute broken bullshit at 105 points, to the point where its cost has almost got to be a typo, which is the main issue with the 3 planes in the PDF.

If you want to be “that guy”, take nothing but Xiphons and Contemptors lol

I kinda disagree- the Xiphon is balanced against the Javelin, Saber, Land Speeder Proteus, and Box dread. An AV12/11 vehicle is less survivable than all those things and it spends only a few turns on the table, so having it put out a little more shooting isn't that bad in my opinion. It makes it good, while those are planes are way overpriced.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 10, 2022

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I tell you, the Glaive may be overpriced but it feels good when it wipes out tactical squads like a knife through butter

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Spellcrow make good cyclone bits.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ijyt posted:

Spellcrow make good cyclone bits.

That was my backup plan if these launchers didn't work. Would recommend in general- I've bought from them in the past and it was fairly good quality. Guns that aren't heavy weapons are a shitshow since they don't come with hands, but other than that all good.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I kinda disagree- the Xiphon is balanced against the Javelin, Saber, Land Speeder Proteus, and Box dread. An AV12/11 vehicle is less survivable than all those things and it spends only a few turns on the table, so having it put out a little more shooting isn't that bad in my opinion. It makes it good, while those are planes are way overpriced.

Keep in mind the xiphon can only be shot at with snap shots (unless you are a flyer, primarch, or have the skyfire rule) if that changes the comparison

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, this looks okay for Tyrants. Thanks, Broken Record. The actual join feels unsteady so I may need to reglue it in the future, and I probably should have kept it separate for painting... ah well.

Setting up a half squad of MkVI as well so I can see if I can actually paint these guys, and, uh... wow, these sprues are way less friendly to the builder than the old ones. I appreciate the optionally notched arms, but everything else is a step back. Pinning subassemblies to paint without interfering with the tolerances is going to be painful.

Sergeant melee weapons: not really necessary or worth considering as "standard"? Not building the sergeant as one of the first 5, but thinking ahead. List I wrote up didn't have them with anything special, but apparently that's not the usual method. (I'm not putting a power fist on every guy.)

And yes, I know the right shoulder is hosed up, I tried and failed to break it off and reposition it. Future models will be fixed.

Stop making me want to make an Ultras detachment of Fulmentarus as allies. Or Alphas taking Fulmentarus. I'm already committed to the Thousand Sons and Salamanders (with a small force of White Scars), I don't need more legions!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yvonmukluk posted:

Stop making me want to make an Ultras detachment of Fulmentarus as allies. Or Alphas taking Fulmentarus. I'm already committed to the Thousand Sons and Salamanders (with a small force of White Scars), I don't need more legions!

Too late. The spiritual liege is calling.

Just think, though - do Alpha Legion and you won't need to spin up a new legion for each unique unit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

SkyeAuroline posted:

Too late. The spiritual liege is calling.

Just think, though - do Alpha Legion and you won't need to spin up a new legion for each unique unit.

Yes yes yessssss

I'm working through some Alpha Legion Siege Tyrants right now :getin:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I dont know how I could possibly ever choose a rewards of treachery unit for my alpha legion. build em all I guess?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ristolaz posted:

I dont know how I could possibly ever choose a rewards of treachery unit for my alpha legion. build em all I guess?

That's what I'm doing. I want Tyrants, I want Suzerains, I want Dark Furies, I want Fire Drakes...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’ve got siege tyrant/fulmentarus as my first RoT unit (painting them in AL colors and just sticking some 3D printed missile racks on the back of the box set cataphractii) and probably gonna get golden keshig as my second because those guys gently caress

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
HH jet bikes are stupid expensive. 3 in a squad and each one costs ~$55??

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Count Thrashula posted:

So many units that I can't wait to shift to plastic...

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

That too, give me plastic bikes so I can make a badass biker command squad

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
There any other good sites, besides Goonhammer, with Horus Heresy content to read over?
I'd love to see list that people are using and just more content on 30k

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
So I've picked up the Age of Darkness box and I'm mostly following Goonhammer's guide for my Thousand Sons. I'm intending to convert the Terminators to Sekhmet using Scarab bits, going to convert the Praetors into Librarians using random bits, going to use some Plasma on the Marines to act as Aether-Fire blasters, I'm repurposing some Whirlwinds I used in a Ravenguard 40k army to be Rhinos for transports, and I've ordered Ahriman to command the lot. Beyond converting the Dreadnought to Osiron and setting up the Spartan to transport the Terminators what would you recommend to beef up to the 3k points of a standard game? On a similar note I've had several friends recommend I just airbrush over the Raven Guard instead of stripping it due to it being a vehicle - thoughts?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The old Daemons of the Ruinstorm list isn't viable for the Esoterist, right?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

There any other good sites, besides Goonhammer, with Horus Heresy content to read over?
I'd love to see list that people are using and just more content on 30k

You're ground floor right here, homie. Outside of here and B&C there isn't really anyone that kept up with the heresy. Goonhammer does good overviews, but they don't really know the game. There are lots of 40k content creators jumping into the game too, but they're new to the scene.

Count Thrashula posted:

If you want a good laugh price out 20 of the white scar unique jetbikes

Kleedrac posted:

So I've picked up the Age of Darkness box and I'm mostly following Goonhammer's guide for my Thousand Sons. I'm intending to convert the Terminators to Sekhmet using Scarab bits, going to convert the Praetors into Librarians using random bits, going to use some Plasma on the Marines to act as Aether-Fire blasters, I'm repurposing some Whirlwinds I used in a Ravenguard 40k army to be Rhinos for transports, and I've ordered Ahriman to command the lot. Beyond converting the Dreadnought to Osiron and setting up the Spartan to transport the Terminators what would you recommend to beef up to the 3k points of a standard game? On a similar note I've had several friends recommend I just airbrush over the Raven Guard instead of stripping it due to it being a vehicle - thoughts?

imo Aether-Fire blasters are worse than plasma against everything except vehicles, so be cautioned there

post your list to get answers to the rest

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

dont take librarians. take another consul upgrade and give them a psychic discipline on top of it. Like take a chaplain for the buffs and LD10

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Take a legion herald in cataphract armour and give him the biomancy power. attach him to sekhmet terminators. They are now fearless, cause fear, toughness 5, and a scoring unit. good luck moving them

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ristolaz posted:

Take a legion herald in cataphract armour and give him the biomancy power. attach him to sekhmet terminators. They are now fearless, cause fear, toughness 5, and a scoring unit. good luck moving them

Doesn’t the +1 toughness only last for the current player turn?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Gato The Elder posted:

Doesn’t the +1 toughness only last for the current player turn?

You're right. Not as good as I thought, but it was just an example of a consul / psychic discipline combo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah Alpha Legion, Hydra DOMINATUS

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

dear gw please get mk iii marines stock again okthxbye

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I know it's dumb but I want to buy 40k Morty for Assault on Terra games

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some more .pdf unit breakdowns:

Legion Land Raider Phobos
A copy paste of the Land Raider Proteus Carrier rules, its dubious that it even needed its own entry. Since the rules are identical its safe to say you can swap them into your lists if you like their aesthetic, though RAW nobody gets them as dedicated transports. I doubt anybody will care, but maybe That Guy is in your meta?

Legion Land Raider Achilles
Priced in the ballpark of a Spartan, the Achilles is a low transport capacity land raider variant that you can squadron into packs of 3. Though it can't take a flare shield like the spartan, and lacks the Spartan's lascannon arrays, its immune to armorbane (chainfists, melta bombs, melta guns, etc) and lance weapons. Four twin linked multi meltas, five if you take a pintile mount, is pretty respectable. In classic FW fashion, the quad launcher is inexplicably worse than the quad launcher artillery in the core rules and loses the ability to take phex. Overall, its a decent fire support landraider that's tough to shift, but without assault vehicle or range on the artillery gun its main use will be delivering small shooting or scoring units somewhere. This puts it into direct competition with the Land Raider Proteus Explorator, which has more transport capacity, manipulates reserves, scouts/outflanks, can be armed with 6 longer range lascannons + a pintile multi melta, and costs almost 100 less points. At 320 points, the Achilles is probably 50 points overpriced, but its usable and has a niche.

Legion Basilisk Squadron
Criminally overpriced and terribly under-gunned, in an all marine meta, Basilisks are absolutely a trap choice. Even against mechanicum or humans you'll want to bring a Scorpius instead, which outperforms it and costs 80 points less.

Legion Medusa Squadron
If a Medusa costs as much as a Basilisk, you should already wonder what the deal is. Well, there is no deal. The mighty Medusa, one of the most feared weapons in the game, gets rending in exchange for worse range. Another trap choice who's job a Scorpius does categorically better for less points.

Legion Whirlwind
Priced the same as a Scorpius, the Whirlwind has less armor, loses rending in exchange for breaching, hits with a small blast rather than a large one, but also gets AA missiles and ordinance. If you want flexibility against air targets, this is a decent choice. If you're focusing exclusively on ground targets you'll want a Scorpius instead.

Legion Caestus Assault Ram
Despite getting a major rework from the original rules, including a price hike and loss of several unique abilities, the Caestus is still your tough as nails assault transport. The siege melta array, packing 5 twin linked melta shots, will serve you better in most situations than the large blast it used to have. Losing the ability to transport terminators is a bummer, but you can now pack in 12 MEQ boiz instead, making this a solid way to deliver some hard hitting elite units. You'll miss not having armored ceremite, but a Spartan doesn't have that anymore either... and this spartan flies.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 12, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Praetor equipment continues to throw me for a loop, but despite "just take a thunder hammer" making objectively more sense I keep coming back to the laughs of an MC disintegrator pistol. Stuck with the boarding shield for a power armor Praetor (should probably just build a Terminator one as well, but lmao the Calth one is $45 without any extra bits, and making a character out of the regular Cataphractii terminator sprues would be difficult), so I'm eating the penalty of losing the "melee weapon + pistol" bonus attack anyway, which I guess shifts it away from strictly needing to be melee to get the "value" out of it. Especially considering "slam the Praetor into enemy characters' faces" is a last resort and not the first step. Wouldn't be taking a Praetor at all if Hammer of Olympia didn't require a Warsmith, but gotta make do with what I can get.

At least the shield is arriving and will look good. Don't have a hammer but hopefully that's solvable.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

What is the actual difference between rending and breaching?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Why the gently caress is the Legion Medusa and Basilisk in the PDF? It's right there on the storefront what the gently caress GW.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What is the actual difference between rending and breaching?

Breaching doesn't affect vehicles, Rending does.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rending automatically wounds, and it works against vehicles. It sets the AP of the attack to 2 and also increases the strength of the attack by D3 against vehicles.

Breaching only sets the AP of the attack to AP2. You still have to wound and it does nothing against vehicles.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Praetor equipment continues to throw me for a loop, but despite "just take a thunder hammer" making objectively more sense I keep coming back to the laughs of an MC disintegrator pistol. Stuck with the boarding shield for a power armor Praetor (should probably just build a Terminator one as well, but lmao the Calth one is $45 without any extra bits, and making a character out of the regular Cataphractii terminator sprues would be difficult), so I'm eating the penalty of losing the "melee weapon + pistol" bonus attack anyway, which I guess shifts it away from strictly needing to be melee to get the "value" out of it. Especially considering "slam the Praetor into enemy characters' faces" is a last resort and not the first step. Wouldn't be taking a Praetor at all if Hammer of Olympia didn't require a Warsmith, but gotta make do with what I can get.

At least the shield is arriving and will look good. Don't have a hammer but hopefully that's solvable.

The debate is basically- thunder hammer vs paragon blade. Do I have enough points for a sniper rifle?

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 13, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

The debate is basically- thunder hammer vs paragon blade. Do I have enough points for a sniper rifle?

Sniper rifle doesn't do much against tanks, which a Lyssatra Warsmith's unit would be shooting at at every possible opportunity.

Lyssatra fixation on gun destruction makes that pistol even more tempting though. Even if it would be 100% useless.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
So I'm starting to plan a beginner Imperial Fist army (because who doesn't like fortifying?), and I thought I'd ask the great minds of the 30k thread for a nice well rounded starter army list? Breachers sound like fun, and I do have Fafnir Rann for now- So maybe Phalanx Warders? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cpt Soban posted:

So I'm starting to plan a beginner Imperial Fist army (because who doesn't like fortifying?), and I thought I'd ask the great minds of the 30k thread for a nice well rounded starter army list? Breachers sound like fun, and I do have Fafnir Rann for now- So maybe Phalanx Warders? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should probably start by stating a points limit and whether it's for ZM or regular games.

E: a local 30k newb (a 40k/AoS player) claimed that he watched batreps and that stuff seems to get one-shot all the time, and that you need a lot of tanks, so he's getting Preda and a Sicaran... Which doesn't seem to make much sense, since vehicles are the kost oneshottable thing in the game. Also, isn't HH2 less lethal than before? What could he mean with one shots?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

JcDent posted:

You should probably start by stating a points limit and whether it's for ZM or regular games.

E: a local 30k newb (a 40k/AoS player) claimed that he watched batreps and that stuff seems to get one-shot all the time, and that you need a lot of tanks, so he's getting Preda and a Sicaran... Which doesn't seem to make much sense, since vehicles are the kost oneshottable thing in the game. Also, isn't HH2 less lethal than before? What could he mean with one shots?

I don't know what ZM is, so I'll just say regular casual games.

And probably 1000 points to start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

JcDent posted:

Also, isn't HH2 less lethal than before? What could he mean with one shots?

Yes and no. Many things got less lethal, especially artillery, but anti-tank weaponry, outside of artillery, got a lot stronger.

The loss of Armoured Ceramite, along with Lascannons gaining Sunder, Multi-meltas now being Twin-Linked, and Autocannons gaining Rending means it's a bad time to be a tank, and S8 explosions also mean it's a bad time to be a 2W model inside a transport.