Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

goninzo posted:

I had to drop the amok meme chat at some point due to this. Travis "Tarvis Wells" Wells is cool as gently caress but there are others that are a bit much. And their roommates ... woo buddy.

Some people can be a bit extra.

Also, hey Q T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Rhymenoserous posted:

I like Travis because he doesn’t suffer from “Smartest man in the room” syndrome when doing small gang. He heard me say “I need you to hold gate this guy plays gate games all the time”

Everyone else “knew better” so Travis got to solo a carrier in a Sabre.

Travis is what you would call a cool dude man.

And I will love and cherish his friendship forever.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Terminator posted:

Currently just watching Xenuria do what only uhh... Xenuria could do to the Harassment Q&A thread. :munch:

Dude, don’t leave us hanging.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NtotheTC posted:

This is so painfully obvious in retrospect that I feel very stupid for not realising.

you're not alone, friend. i am trying to console myself with the thought that mittani is in many ways an effective politician - but the plates gotta fall at some point, i guess

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

learnincurve posted:

No, see what you did there was try and use the R word in a sneaky way. I mocked Mittens.

Post the logs, we need the leaks.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

"Gentlemen, you can't accuse me of harassment in here, this is the harassment policy Q&A!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rhymenoserous posted:

"I would use this opportunity to sell you a shovel to help you dig this hole deeper or to just not interrupt you whilst you make a serious mistake, but you are not my enemy. You need to step back and seriously consider what you are saying. "

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Is it possible to make a new alliance out of the people that don't want to be in don't-rock-the-boat coalitions? Usually that question would be silly to ask, but the number of people jumping ship means there's probably a lot of materiel/organizational experience that could setup something in null rather than splitting entirely into small groups.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
lmao that sounds about right, can someone please justify this dude breathing rarified goon air for me please.

I’d have booted him out entirely due to my “chronic misfit” rule.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’ll never forget blackops coms when Travis “Travis loving Wells” Wells stopped mid coitus when he heard we had a carrier tackled. Then he solod the carrier in a dictor because he was the only person smart enough to listen to me.

The carrier jumped gate with just a smidge of hull left and Travis bubbled and popped it in one volley.

not the only thing he popped in one volley that night if you get what i mean

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

The 3? karmafleet guys coming in and posting at almost exactly the same time about how THIS IS NOT A CALLOUT THREAD! sure was a thing.

They sure love their wagon-circling over there.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this thread is moving pretty fast so i'm gonna post again that everyone should stop playing eve and go play foxhole

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893821

it's a much better game than eve online

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
satisfactory is good to. delta has been playing it at night and we have a crazy dedicated server

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rhymenoserous posted:

lmao that sounds about right, can someone please justify this dude breathing rarified goon air for me please.

I’d have booted him out entirely due to my “chronic misfit” rule.

Does anyone still have the logs of Xenuria having a protracted and unknowing argument with a bot in one of the edgier ex-test squad channels? At least one of the two proved themselves capable of passing a Turing Test, that day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stereotype posted:

this thread is moving pretty fast so i'm gonna post again that everyone should stop playing eve and go play foxhole

I should reinstall this, it was good fun last time I played with goons

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Stereotype posted:

satisfactory is good to. delta has been playing it at night and we have a crazy dedicated server

Satisfactory is great. Pave the planet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Potato Salad posted:

and then of course how test and Panfam handles this poo poo

I came from a corp where a very well loved director did this poo poo, the alliance absolutely hosed that up because they couldn't separate sexual harassment issues from moon drama

are there no good alliances of normal people :smithicide:

(not directing this at you, just throwing this out there) Pages back but worth emphasizing that it's super useful to just say 'sexual harassment' instead of 'drama' when the issue is sexual harassment. Drama is some stupid interpersonal disagreement poo poo that doesn't really matter and that probably no one but people who like gossip care to hear about. Sexual harassment is obviously something that anyone who cares about an organization should want to make sure it gets handled appropriately and promptly for the benefit of literally everyone involved.

It's always a mistake to let people push a narrative of 'oh it's just drama' take hold when the issue is real, substantive misconduct that needs to be addressed.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Endie posted:

Does anyone still have the logs of Xenuria having a protracted and unknowing argument with a bot in one of the edgier ex-test squad channels? At least one of the two proved themselves capable of passing a Turing Test, that day.

oh my god tell me this still exists

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Stereotype posted:

It is intriguing, but I would also stress that the bar of “Better than EVE” is low.

The game has moments, is complex, and very player driven but it also has a lovely UI, new player experience, and is a game that requires hours of your time to really be effective/enjoy. (So: EVE)

By the way I picked it up a little over a year ago and have maybe 20-30 hours of playtime to get an idea. It’s ‘meh’.

Maybe try it when on sale?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Make me queen of space fleet and I will order the immediate construction of a space statue of mittens getting hosed by a spaceship before tanking the rest of all of goonfleets ISK on internet gambling.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

helperdog posted:

I thought Big McHuge was our coordinator during fountain war

"during" <> "after"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i thought that post about the goonfleet harassment q&a thread having posts hidden to encourage a more open and transparent discussion was a joke, but nope, it's right there, that actually happened

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Apologies accepted. Comedy, I can legit say video games prepared me with life skills, since I later went on to work Probation Intake and for the sex offender registry. For better or worse, just about nothing can surprise me. I might *think* things, but nothing will come out in my voice or face. I now herd garbage truck drivers (logistics!) and am far less stressed. Cranky snow plow drivers at the end of a 12 hour shift are not functionally different from crabby cap fleet goons at the end of a long siege.

Things did get to me back then (2007, 2008). I was a stressy mess when the Free Stucks thing spilled over to RL - I was working at a small (then) game company and some asshat approached local goons to try to flier my workplace. Never let the bastards win, is a pretty good way to put my mindset. Stuck it out, made friends, and over time people just gave up pestering me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
catching up on this thread, gently caress

Feliday Melody posted:

Could you tell this story?

Ynglaur posted:

I was and am just a line member, but I seem to remember that a few years after the Fountain War our skymarshal--the head of coord, not an FC--was a woman. Coord is a group that moves the fleets around the board, as opposed to FCs who run individual fleets. I don't recall the name, alas.

Edit: Someone mentioned the name earlier: it was Rydis, I believe. I don't know anything about her other than the general sense that she was very, very good at coord.

Rydis was one of my favorite Goons from the early days of my dealings with them (long before I joined GSF myself). As an allied leader it was a relief to hear Rydis's voice on comms when your space was being attacked: if she was active, it usually meant that Goons would form a large swarm and show up on time.

She was active when I was leading an allied alliance called Gentlemen's Agreement (which eventually merged with Li3 to form Bastion under my good friend Carneros). She was insightful, and a born planner/organizer. More than that, she had the kind of force of personality it takes to manage Goons on their worst days and do it with panache. She had an absolute razor-sharp wit, and was funny as hell. She could dunk with the best of them, but I never saw her be mean. She put up with way more poo poo than I can imagine for many years. Taught me a lot about strategic spacewar.

When I joined CD under Sion I continued to work with her on the diplomatic coordination end of things, passing messages back and forth to allied and temp-blue commands, and she was always clear, concise and well-organized.

Generally one of our best Skymarshals of all time imo, like the Skymarshal title basically started with Skymarshal Rydis iirc. Helped define the role.

We became less when she quit.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I realize that a lot of nerds have internalized to themselves that eve is a lot more important than it is but it really is just a video game and you can kick abusers/racists/etc out without calling a conclave of elders or whatever.

Remember when we used to mock alliances that couldn't make decisions without running to a High Council?

Pepperidge Swarm remembers

Gwailar posted:

Whataboutism is not the look.

I'm a cis white male evangelical.
I basically grew up in Mayberry in church.
My head will probably never stop spinning from the cultural change that has happened in my life time.

But I care about people, and if we care about people, we have to learn the language of caring.

"Where are the corp females" and "mayonnaise" is not the language of caring in a diverse context.

This is a really good post. Thanks friend.

andromache posted:

We have multiple women in illum and several other minorities and nationalities. The thing is however that illum is heavily siloed and due to kismeteer in the past getting into everybody else’s space business people are encouraged to stay focused on their box.

We will need a culture change in illum that safety/harassment is everyone’s box. Which I think is a good suggestion I’ll carry forward but I can definitely say that’s not a thing currently there.

I'm not really getting the sense that the Mittani thinks anything that happened was wrong, nor that he believes anything needs to change, in light of the logs that have been posted.

I have to ask why you think anything will change, in light of his comments. Is his thinking evolving on this subject? Or is he, as accused, trying to bury the issue?

If Mittani still cleaves to the progressive values he once proclaimed, he kind of has to do an apology tour or no one will take him seriously when he brags about being friends with Zoe Quinn ever again :aloom:

FirstnameLastname posted:

He's not a Nazi. Nazis care way, way too much about stuff that isn't him. Mittani's ideology is, well,

He's a pickup artist. I'm not kidding. He uses pua terminology on the regular for discussing all sorts of real life and in game issues are described by him in terms of +ev or -ev. He was deep in the 'scene' for a while after his wife left him because.. do I really have to finish this sentence? you know why

ofc she was a 'crazy lying manipulative cluster b narc' according to him aswell, lol

this should help put the Masculine furniture for m
Men into perspective - it's PUA poo poo that he was able to fool himself into thinking he'd be able to fool others with

:hmmyes:

I have to say, as a longtime partisan of Goons and Goonswarm (2008-2022), I am really loving disappointed and disgusted right now.

This is also kind of surreal, the way they're playing it. Having had long discussions about crisis management with Mittani and Merckelchen in the past, I know they loving know better than to this approach will do anything other than build controversy! It boggles my mind, like watching them suddenly go senile. Like, this way of doing is actually dumb and they know that, we've talked about it in years past, wtfff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Astryl posted:

Make me queen of space fleet and I will order the immediate construction of a space statue of mittens getting hosed by a spaceship before tanking the rest of all of goonfleets ISK on internet gambling.

poo poo, you've got my vote

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Stereotype posted:

Yeah foxhole is fun and the goon clan isn’t run by the Catholic Church

Foxhole is like eve with bits of string holding everything together and everything is made out of tritanium. Enjoying it.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Xenuria was murdered and buried by Calanthe and Liquidium in that thread. And he’s probably too loving dense to realize it.

tocooljim
Jan 6, 2009

andromache posted:

Xenuria was murdered and buried by Calanthe and Liquidium in that thread. And he’s probably too loving dense to realize it.

Worse. He tried to play white knight and victim, and tried to side step the whole thing. But I am a clown. What do I know?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

andromache posted:

I really loving hate that guy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dialhforhero posted:

It is intriguing, but I would also stress that the bar of “Better than EVE” is low.

The game has moments, is complex, and very player driven but it also has a lovely UI, new player experience, and is a game that requires hours of your time to really be effective/enjoy. (So: EVE)

By the way I picked it up a little over a year ago and have maybe 20-30 hours of playtime to get an idea. It’s ‘meh’.

Maybe try it when on sale?

yeah i got sucked in back when the war ended and eve got unplayable and have 1,500 hours of playtime in it, though a lot of that was me keeping my computer on all day to afk tech up bases.

it has the stakes of eve, where winning and losing fights feels like it "matters" and makes it exciting, but also everything resets about once a month, so it ends up just being more fun.

also the goons are cool and take harassment seriously and none of the imperium directorate are there

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh lord.

I genuinely facepalmed in real life and said to the dog "you let these people tell you what to do :("

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kesper North posted:

I'm not really getting the sense that the Mittani thinks anything that happened was wrong, nor that he believes anything needs to change, in light of the logs that have been posted.

This is what I see as the fundamental problem as well. Various members of illum can shuffle around as much cat litter as they want, but in every organization I've ever been a part of, the culture ultimately derived from whoever was at the top, and everything we've seen is 100% consistent with him writing this all off as "drama" from some "bitch," especially given that

Kesper North posted:

Remember when we used to mock alliances that couldn't make decisions without running to a High Council?

Pepperidge Swarm remembers

he has spent years publicly and proudly accumulating absolute dictatorial power, and is currently using it to do absolutely fuckall about this. ("I'm gonna make sure there's a process!" does not count as doing something if you didn't bother to do it earlier and most of your commentary is bitching about the people who asked you to do it.) The GSF forum Q&A thread has multiple people asking pointed questions about his personal statements, and the only response is coming from theadj (who I guess is the directorate's comms person on this) and it's just "I can't comment on what someone else says."

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Stereotype posted:

it has the stakes of eve, where winning and losing fights feels like it "matters" and makes it exciting, but also everything resets about once a month, so it ends up just being more fun.

I feel like the game has similar aspects to PlanetSide except it is 3rd Person and in a mix of WWI and WWII aesthetics.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

andromache posted:

shoulda banned him like i asked for years

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/328321-harassment-policy-qa-thread/?p=9176173

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

shoulda banned him like i asked for years

Dude I tried. I thought I was pretty good at bullying people and I just bounced off him like a beach ball.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
well I did not expect an actual apology - wow

anyway i think we're all still evaccing and firesaleing and poo poo

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

A screenshot, as not everyone has access (not sure why I still do, I deleted all my ESI keys and reset groups, do I need to unlink something else?)

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Actions save this bullshit, not face value shitposts that no-one has any reason to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

NtotheTC posted:

A screenshot, as not everyone has access (not sure why I still do, I deleted all my ESI keys and reset groups, do I need to unlink something else?)

days late and no action taken yet shows that any of these words have real meaning.

mittani, theadj, innominate, and bigbill all need to be shown the door for any real change to happen. but none of that will happen because like theadj said, they are too integral to the system to remove