Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress the...
This poll is closed.
Cowboys 82 42.05%
Commanders (really, that's the name?) 38 19.49%
Giants 29 14.87%
Eagles 46 23.59%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
cause Westbrook had one million concussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/the_bio_of_ROD/status/1546670701490442244?t=ua-RM1KgYphQXoKx_6skyA&s=19

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

:mad:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CowboysStats/status/1546849223643217920?t=_kYbRN8kVVlojA2rk2o2-Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/CowboysStats/status/1546853594745405441?t=CiiKaOA9W-KVBVjOPVwjuw&s=19

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol. Got 'em.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Always blew my mind whenever I saw a draft eval of DeVonta saying he was too small to play WR. The guy leaves everyone in the dust on route running, he'll never get hit.

Also will be continuously funny seeing the ultra team the Eagles built get sandbagged by Hurts

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hurts is gone after this season

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://wtop.com/washington-commanders/2022/07/house-committee-accepts-snyders-offer-to-testify-virtually/

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I think the good news is that o-line and WR corps is so strong that even Minshew or Strong could probably fill in and put up pro-Bowl numbers as long as they can throw a ball on target.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

This makes a certain amount of sense but if he improves as much this year as he did last, the birds will get some quality back from a QB starved team. I'm not old on Jalen either but the rest of the team is shaping up nicely he'll have no excuses about "lack of weapons" and, at a minimum, I think has proven he can play in this league and start for somebody.

He seems like a cool dude who works hard and whose team mates like so I'm really rooting for him

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nothing makes me more horny than ESPN debating whether Dak is elite.
:allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Number of playoff wins by nfce qb
Dak 1
Hurts 0
Wentz 0

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
So what I’m reading out of that is Daniel “Danny Dimes” Jones has never lost in the playoffs :smugdog:

Ignore that he hasn’t made the playoffs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I honestly just forget about the giants

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
no blame there

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

euphronius posted:

Number of playoff wins by nfce qb
Dak 1
Hurts 0
Wentz 0

A bar so low an ant can barely crawl under

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing makes me more horny than ESPN debating whether Dak is elite.
:allears:

I can't even understand the brains of people who click on this poo poo and watch those dumb yell-a-thon shows and stuff.

Like, what's the appeal??

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

blarzgh posted:

I can't even understand the brains of people who click on this poo poo and watch those dumb yell-a-thon shows and stuff.

How else you gonna learn whether Dak is elite?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

blarzgh posted:

Worse, they get paid for it and we have to do it for free in this thread

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cartoon Man posted:

How else you gonna learn whether Dak is elite?

He's not elite because he's on an NFC East team in 2022.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is loving hilarious

Washington Commanders Owner Dan Snyder Avoids Deposition by Parking His Boat Overseas

quote:

Dan Snyder is in an extraordinary face-off with the House oversight committee over the terms of his appearance while he travels internationally

WASHINGTON—The powerful House committee investigating the Washington Commanders has been trying for weeks to depose Dan Snyder, the team’s embattled owner. But Snyder has positioned himself thousands of miles away, thus far thwarting the committee’s efforts to question him.

Now the two sides are taking this high-stakes political dance to a new level of intrigue.

The House Oversight and Reform Committee told Snyder’s lawyer Tuesday that it would allow Snyder to testify over Zoom on July 28, from anywhere. But there’s a major catch. The committee wants him to appear under the force of a subpoena, essentially compelling him to answer their questions while under oath.

Snyder, however, is reluctant to do that, and he has been using an extraordinary tactic to avoid it: parking the boat. He has spent recent weeks overseas, often on his yacht—where it appears that he can’t actually be served with a subpoena.

Snyder missed the committee’s June 22 hearing, at which NFL commissioner Roger Goodell testified remotely, because Snyder was in France, according to his attorney. Since then, his yacht has been traversing through some of the most luxe spots in the Mediterranean. His lawyer has also told the committee that he will soon travel to Israel, where he will be all the way into August, to observe the anniversary of his mother’s death.

Subpoenas have to be served directly to their subject, in person, unless a lawyer has agreed to accept one on their client’s behalf—which Snyder’s lawyer has declined to do. And it’s near if not entirely impossible to serve Congressional subpoenas overseas, even when somebody is on dry land.

The Democratic-controlled committee has been chasing Snyder for months over the Washington team’s workplace culture and the league’s response, sparring with his lawyer over dates, locations—and the terms of any interview or testimony he gives.

Snyder’s lawyer has raised his broader objections to the committee’s probe, including lawmakers’ unwillingness to limit any questions to Snyder to “historical workplace culture issues,” or to discuss witnesses they had interviewed, or allegations they had heard, as part of the investigation.

At a previous roundtable hosted by the committee, a former employee aired a new allegation of sexual harassment against the owner—prompting a new NFL investigation. Snyder denied the accusation.

The committee chairwoman, Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York, has said she would not be deterred from seeking Snyder’s testimony, and announced her plans at the June hearing to issue a subpoena to compel it. On Tuesday, she rejected a proposal from Snyder to appear voluntarily, saying that she didn’t want to allow Snyder to impose any condition preventing him from being asked about incidents covered by nondisclosure agreements—especially after a month of delay.

“Mr. Snyder has a troubling history of using NDAs to cover up workplace misconduct—behavior that is central to our investigation—and it would be highly inappropriate for him to employ the same tactic to withhold information from the Committee,” her letter said.

A spokesman for Snyder said his attorneys are “reviewing the Committee’s letter to determine if their due process concerns, including the circumstances of Mr. Snyder’s appearance, have adequately been addressed.”

It isn’t unusual for individuals to be reluctant to participate in a Congressional investigation, or even for them to try to run out the clock on a committee’s interest. It is different, though, for them to attempt to avoid a subpoena. And it’s almost unheard of that they would try to do it by remaining out of the country.

“The norm in D.C. is for attorneys to accept service electronically. It’s very rare for an attorney not to accept service of a subpoena over email,” said Dave Rapallo, the longtime Democratic staff director for the oversight committee, who is now an associate professor of law at Georgetown University.

“I worked on Capitol Hill for more than 20 years and I have never seen anyone intentionally evade a subpoena from Congress in this way.”

In recent weeks Snyder’s yacht has been in Cannes, the French city that was hosting a large advertising and marketing festival. Then it moved through the azure waters of the French Riviera.

It has gone from near the Cap d’Antibes to the northern tip of Corsica, the French island lush with natural beauty in the Mediterranean, according to vesselfinder.com, a website that tracks ship movements. It has since gone to Sardinia, the luxurious Italian island, and Panarea, part of the island chain north of Sicily.

Snyder faces the prospect of being served by U.S. Marshals as soon as he returns to American soil.
The Commanders play their first preseason game Aug. 13, while the regular season kicks off in September.

There are few examples of people avoiding a subpoena by being abroad, and the instances that people could recall resulted in the subject and the committee cutting a deal.

Michael Perino, professor at St. John’s University School of Law, said that banker Charles Mitchell was subpoenaed as part of the Congressional investigation into the causes of the Wall Street crash in the early 1930s, but responded that he would be heading out of the country.

The investigation’s chief counsel, Ferdinand Pecora, agreed to postpone seeking Mitchell’s testimony in exchange for access to his documents, Perino said, though for Mitchell, it backfired as the banking crisis of 1933 had hit by the time he got back.

Charles Tiefer, a professor at the University of Baltimore School of Law, recalled a witness who was sought by the House Iran-Contra Committee—to which Tiefer was counsel. The witness, Tiefer recalled, was in Europe, and in the end accepted a plan for committee staff to come to him to take his deposition.

But while staying away without a compromise might carry a reputational risk for Snyder, there’s very little else that Congress could do about it, and certainly not quickly.

Tiefer said that while it is possible—if laborious—to serve a judicial subpoena in another country, even that option isn’t available with a Congressional subpoena.

“Traditionally a person overseas cannot be reached by a Congressional subpoena,” Tiefer said.

And serving a subpoena is one component in finding someone to be in contempt of Congress, he added. “You can’t be in contempt unless you’re validly served, or show up and refuse to answer questions.”

Committee Republicans have openly criticized the Washington team investigation as a waste of time and resources, and pledged to drop it if they take control of the House after the November midterm elections.

Maloney would still remain chair until January and some Democrats would almost certainly argue for her to push ahead with the investigation during the lame-duck Congress, if for no other reason than to preserve the committee’s authority for all future occupants of her seat.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just gotta hold out till elections this fall. He’s gambling on Republicans taking over and they’ll kill this whole line of inquiry.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Snyder sucks but lmao at how impotent the US government is to anyone with 10+ figgie net worth

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

indigi posted:

Snyder sucks but lmao at how impotent the US government is

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Not feeling good about the Cowboys season.

Not gonna sweep NFCE again, got worse at every position group, and turnover luck should regress significantly.

Although, it's an Easier schedule, Odigizewah, the LSU backer Cox, amd maybe the Murder corner are poised for breakouts.

I think a 9 win season isn't out of the question.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cowboys regress to the mean and end 8-8-1.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

blarzgh posted:

Not feeling good about the Cowboys season.

Not gonna sweep NFCE again, got worse at every position group, and turnover luck should regress significantly.

Although, it's an Easier schedule, Odigizewah, the LSU backer Cox, amd maybe the Murder corner are poised for breakouts.

I think a 9 win season isn't out of the question.

I used a crystal ball, and saw usbwinning the superbowl this season, so idk what you're talking about. :shrug:

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Dak will be healthy all year but the rest of the team will suffer catastrophic injuries at the most shallow positions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if you swapped Dak for Carr or Wilson would he be the worst (overall) QB in the AFCW? I think if he’s on the Broncos he would be the worst simply because of his in-season injuries lowering his ability (if not ruling him out) which would make Carr the better option even if Dak is better at quarterbacking at full health, but if you put him on the Raiders he might be better than Russ this season

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Deck is just such a weird case because he's always had exceptional supporting talent but he's never had even league average coaching or playcalling.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'll have you both know, Dak is a Top 5 Quarterback

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

I'll have you both know, Dak is a Top 5 Quarterback

If he's being blitzed. Shame about what happens with a clean pocket (he's just a top 15 qb).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gut feeling says the Cowboys dominate the division again. They're the only one with a QB and defense. Only question mark is Lamb taking over the #1 role and if Gallup can stay healthy. Their offense relies on stretching the field quick and often, not having that WR rotation might slow it down a bit this year. I don't think they'll be able to replicate that shootout against New England and the Rams last year. The other question mark is how much of a flash in a pan were their defense last year? Micah Parsons played completely out of his mind, displaying abilities that exceeded his amazing college tape. Diggs benefitted from being the luckiest player in league history while also being a complete liability in the defense that was designed to let him pick off routes. I think Sam Williams and Damone Clark were huge steals in the draft that might bolster that defense the first year. We'll see I guess.

Eagles have one of the most complete teams I've ever seen on paper except for their QB. They still have their potent o-line, their WR corps looks fantastic, and I'm betting their defense gets elevated to the next level with the Georgia rookies and Bradberry. Problem is it looks like they're going to have to still run out of shotgun for Hurts using the Gainwell/Sanders/Scott trio. It's a super potent trio, probably the best in the league, but it peters out when Hurts can't keep the passing attack up. Having Goedert/Brown/Watkins/Smith as options is great but Hurts is a sideline only guy.

If he can give some more dimension to their game and maybe pull linebackers/safeties back into the middle of the field those lame duck Eagles games may turn more into scoring fiestas. This is also assuming they can translate beating up poo poo rear end teams last year into winning against quality this year.

Giants are in a transition period. They have no cap space and had to spend what little they had giving their o-line a boost. I think they did good work in the draft but they need pretty much all their picks to hit to shore up various spots across the defense and offense, including two rookie TEs and two rookie DBs. I still think Daniel Jones is the obvious weakest QB in the league, let alone the division. Saquan Barkley is trying to save his career and hopefully they move back to a dump off offense around him again. The one caveat is that the Giants were again one of the most injured teams in the league last year and if any of their starters return they could look a little stronger than last year.

The Commanders (still a terrible name) might actually have something this year. Their WR corps of Dotson/Samuel/McLaurin looks potent and Antonio Gibson is one of the most underrated players in the league. Carson Wentz is a known quantity but he does still have the capability to make throws. The only problem is it's the first and last throw he thought of and it's usually into tight coverage. I do praise him for making people realize stats don't matter when the actual tangible production around them results in his highlights. Either way I think their offense is quietly good, maybe even great if someone QB whispers Wentz into turning his body slightly to look at a different WR. The real worry of the team is Chase Young. ACL tear last year and he was looking underwhelming before it happened. Rookie season was great but he seemed noticeably slower getting into the backfield before the injury, plus he'll be starting this year recovering too. Luckily they still have Sweat, Payne, and Allen for one of the best d-lines in football. They also have two tackle machines in Jamin Davis and Cole Holcomb. Only problem, and what I think will sink them this year too, is their absolute dog poo poo DB corps. Worst in the league by a huge margin and that includes teams not actually fielding quality CBs like the Jets.

I'd say the division is going to be somewhat tighter this year, probably more wins outside of it too, and will probably end up like:
1. Cowboys - 11-6
2. Commanders - 8-9
3. Eagles - 7-10
4. Giants 4-13

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol oof.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

At that point do you blame the OC or the QB? Thats simply the routes run. Sure, Hurts sucks, but if the coaches don't have routes run in a way that even gives him a chance...

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
The Dallas defense is bound to have some turnover regression. If the Eagles manage to go 7-10 with their roster on paper (as noted) and schedule (as of now), then they will surely be moving on from Hurts next year.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

At that point do you blame the OC or the QB? Thats simply the routes run. Sure, Hurts sucks, but if the coaches don't have routes run in a way that even gives him a chance...

the QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Game-Blouses posted:

If the Eagles manage to go 7-10 with their roster on paper (as noted) and schedule (as of now), then they will surely be moving on from Hurts next year.

Oh no doubt.

But if he improves as much this year as he did last, the Eagles might have a tough decision to make and if he works his way up to or near the top 10/12 or so, some team is gonna want to trade for him at least. I'm not sold on Jalen but I am really rooting for him. Lord knows he'll have weapons and a good O-Line this year so another decent incremental improvement is not entirely out of the question. Siriani seemed to figure a few things out as he went along last year too so I'm hoping they can build on that and open up Hurts with things that complement his skill set.

I doubt he'll ever be a perennial top 10 QB in this league but he's proven he can at least play in it and, to my eyes, a team could do far worse than trot him out there on Sunday. Right now, he's Lamar Jackson, Jr. which aint all that bad.