Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Descent more than any of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/1546782340927463424

Half-Life, Rise of the Triad, & Shadow Warrior are the immediate games that come to mind that use this.

I don't even associate that animation with FPS games; it's all Command & Conquer/Command & Conquer: Red Alert in my mind. I must have seen that explosion several million times by now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

Descent more than any of those

Yeah, that was my first thought too. "It's the Descent explosion!"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Mordja posted:

Definitely "just like Doom" lol
:nws:?

Tag yourself, im the perfectly preserved kidney laid out on the floor.

Doom had decorations of soldiers hanging on spikes and being eviscerated, tortured, etc. Walls made of surgical photos and intestinal hallways. It’s all lower fidelity, sure, but that’s about it. Doom was made by weirdos who fetishized carnage as well.

edit: not defending the game or anything. I don’t know what it’s like out of the context of this screenshot, but this just seems in line with edgy 90s violence. Maybe the preserved lifeless head is pushing it? I dunno, someone in the Cum Town thread posted a clip from some extremely cursed anime, and now I feel pretty dead inside so maybe my calibration is off.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 12, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

we don’t have to keep talking about the weirdo paedo game
thanks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Doom had decorations of soldiers hanging on spikes and being eviscerated, tortured, etc. Walls made of surgical photos and intestinal hallways. It’s all lower fidelity due to the time, sure, but that’s about it.

Yeah but the imps you killed didn't show titty and look like they were cry-cumming

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
One of the textures in the original Doom is just a slightly edited Mussolini's corpse and his wife hanging upside down.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

One of the textures in the original Doom is just a slightly edited Mussolini's corpse and his wife hanging upside down.
This is an oft-repeated claim but nobody has ever been able to find a matching source image for it. Either Adrian Carmack or Kevin Cloud stated that those images were made by posing and photographing a GI Joe.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Volte posted:

This is an oft-repeated claim but nobody has ever been able to find a matching source image for it. Either Adrian Carmack or Kevin Cloud stated that those images were made by posing and photographing a GI Joe.

I seem to remember seeing a photo, or part of the video where someone showed the Gi Joe that was used but can't seem to find it, so it's quite possible that just my memory playing tricks.

I thought it might of been from this Decino youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7v3vRA65E
where he goes into the background of a lot of doom sprites/graphics, but in it he just says he's heard the Mussolini's corpse rumor, so :shrug:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Volte posted:

modders

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think a crucial difference is that the doom guys weren't making those sprites to whack off to and didn't give the zombieman boobs when you turn them into paste

site fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 12, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a horny teen I was thrilled by the strippers in Duke3d, but even I knew the tied up ladies in eggs or impaled on spikes (?) was in questionable taste.

Likewise gore in Mortal Kombat was hilarious, and even the freakish fidelity in SoF1 was somehow comical. Much like a lot of art, its less about the rules and more about the execution where something is in good or bad taste.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Doom had decorations of soldiers hanging on spikes and being eviscerated, tortured, etc. Walls made of surgical photos and intestinal hallways. It’s all lower fidelity, sure, but that’s about it. Doom was made by weirdos who fetishized carnage as well.
The so-called Mussolini stuff (and other SP_DUDE inclusions) is -- according to Adrian Carmack -- just the result of Kevin Cloud torturing a GI Joe doll. Inspired by the dictator's execution perhaps, but not directly based on the photos.

Dunno about surgical photos but one of the walls is based on a scab Kevin Cloud had on his knee or something like that. The intestinal stuff is just squid tentacles IIRC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 64 on Steam has gotten a small update to fix a minor visual issue with the chaingun and plasma gun and to fix framerate issues on Steam Deck. I believe GOG already had this update at its recent release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

Doom 64 on Steam has gotten a small update to fix a minor visual issue with the chaingun and plasma gun and to fix framerate issues on Steam Deck. I believe GOG already had this update at its recent release.

I wish they’d update it so you can skip the drat intro movies like all the other doom ports :argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Noclip has gotten their hands on some footage of the first Doom 4 project, the one that was abandoned for failing to develop a unique identity and rebooted into what eventually became Doom 2016. It's not a lot of video, but it backs up that criticism- it looks like a better-lit Doom 3 and also appears to feature... regenerating health 😱

1:17 to 2:00 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvb04gU_UmU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wish they’d update it so you can skip the drat intro movies like all the other doom ports :argh:
They did on PC! I don't think the console versions have gotten those patches yet for whatever reason.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

Noclip has gotten their hands on some footage of the first Doom 4 project, the one that was abandoned for failing to develop a unique identity and rebooted into what eventually became Doom 2016. It's not a lot of video, but it backs up that criticism- it looks like a better-lit Doom 3 and also appears to feature... regenerating health 😱

1:17 to 2:00 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvb04gU_UmU

It’s kind of hard to meaningfully criticize it since it’s either extremely rough or a straight up CGI animation. It is interesting to see how much was preserved for 2016, though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've always thought what little is there looks neat. v:shobon:v Would have liked to play it.

Also the temp tracks Mick Gordon wrote for it were cool too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY4becLBP8c

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If it's the Call of Doom thing from way back when it would've been poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

id knew

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I don't even associate that animation with FPS games; it's all Command & Conquer/Command & Conquer: Red Alert in my mind. I must have seen that explosion several million times by now.

This is what I was thinking of as well! 90s PC gaming was a hell of a time to be alive

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would have been interested to see what Doom II: Hell on Earth looks like filtered through Doom 3 but I'm glad we got Doom 2016 and Eternal and we may not have gotten those if they went that route.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
I still can’t believe it took a secret developer gameplay demo recording to sell my friends on it because the actual prerelease marketing material for Doom 2016 was absolute garbage. “No, I swear, this game fuckin whips look at this blurry cellphone camera footage and not the 4k feature reel”

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I had a tough time believing it too at first. It just seemed too good to be true that a 2016 Doom game would actually be good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it owned how all the official gameplay looked slow and boring but then nvidia accidentally saved them by showing realistic fast paced PC gameplay at a GPU launch event

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Everything about doom 2016 from a marketing perspective was almost a complete disaster to the point that it being good came as a shock, never mind it being really good.

Like, the announcement trailer that showed absolutely no game footage, the initial focus in demos on the glory kill animations and not their function in gameplay, the pre release multiplayer only beta, the fact that bethesda outright withheld review copies. Everything pointed to it being terrible and somehow it was one of the best shooters of the last few years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I still remember the first footage being super slow and having that focus on the glory kills. I didn't care for the nuDOOMs but the actual game was much better than what they were showing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

repiv posted:

it owned how all the official gameplay looked slow and boring but then nvidia accidentally saved them by showing realistic fast paced PC gameplay at a GPU launch event

Yeah that was the moment I realized it might end up being good. I think it was the halfway point during the demonstration fight and the constant movement, weapon switching, enemy weaknesses, etc that I thought "Ok yeah, I'm sold"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bethesda's been uniquely awful at marketing their published games, it felt like nobody knew quite what Prey was until, like, a week before launch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

Bethesda's been uniquely awful at marketing their published games, it felt like nobody knew quite what Prey was until, like, a week before launch.

you can't run a marketing campaign to get people to name their kids doom slayer or morgan yu

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have been trying to get the head of bethesda's marketing job but I think they're smart enough to know if I was hired I would demand they rerelease the Mobile Phone RPGs as a bundle until they had to fire me just to make me shut up about it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/2007Hellbabe/status/1546962688651268111?t=AZhUjyTcK6FJ2JOXtpmG9w&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dig it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Part 2 of the Halo Cutting Room Floor Stuff, interviewing the modders doing all the spelunking, restoring and perhaps somewhat controversially, reinterpeting a little as need be.

A patch for Powerslave Exhumed literally just dropped as I was writing the above sentence, fixing some collision bugs and adding support for surround sound.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I started playing Serious Sam: The First Encounter after watching a couple of Decino's vids on the bugs in the game. (For reference, I'm playing the GOG release, rather than the updated HD release on Steam.)

I recall of playing a demo for one of the Serious Sam games a few years back, and not really taking to it because of the setup (it just sort of feels like Circle Strafing: The Video Game), yet at some point, I ended up buying the first game, as well as Serious Sam 2 and Serious Sam 3 on Steam. Part of the reason that I decided to start it after watching Decino's vids is that he pointed out that there are only 13 levels (technically 15, with there being 2 secret levels), and I blazed through the first four pretty quickly, and even made it to the first secret level, Moon Mountains.

However, I just finished Metropolis, which was immensely frustrating (I'm playing through on Normal difficulty), and the later levels seem to be a lot longer than the first few (at least based off the speed runs I looked up),

One part of Metropolis has you navigating the city trying to find four scarabs to unlock the door to the next section. All the while, there are various enemies roaming around and being spawned in as you search. Some of the enemies that spawn are hitscanner scorpions, but they're positioned up atop buildings and at a distance, so sometimes you'll be taking damage without knowing where exactly it's coming from, so you have to be careful venturing out into the open. I think when you collect all four scarabs and go to the exit to the next section, three scorpions spawn behind you, and if you don't act quickly, you're bound to take damage.

The next section has you going through a stretch with buildings along the side, and there's a point where two green lizards spawn up on towers. The lizards shoot green homing spheres you can shoot down, but they also spawn a third one behind you, and they take a lot of damage. Now if it was just them, it would be fine, but you're also being attacked by the skeleton horses, which

The third section has you cross over a spike pit, and then head down a long section while bulls and skeleton horses charge you. This section was where I really started to get irate with the game. To cross the spike pit, you have to wait for a bull to try and charge you, wherein a platform will extend for it, allowing you to cross. You have to wait for a second bull, since the first one (usually) falls in the pit, so I think the way it works is that the bulls will spawn continuously while you're on the other side. Thing is, I couldn't tell if they kept spawning after crossing the pit. At that point, you get access to the chaingun, so I kept moving forward, shooting all the bulls that attacked. Eventually I made it to a checkpoint (I enabled auto-saves, though I've also been making manual saves) where I was near pickups, but I kept getting hit by bulls, and the horse skeletons started showing up. I had like a dozen deaths before I finally looked up a level playthrough (also by Decino), and I saw that you just hang back for a bit taking down the bulls until they stop spawning. Of course, after that, I got stuck trying to deal with the skeleton horses as well, because I thought they also continuously spawned. My thought was that you had to run through the door to the arena to shut them off, but that just results in having to deal with the skeleton horses and the screaming bomb guys, making it a nightmare. After a death near the door, I watched the skeleton horses spawn in until I saw that they stopped, and I just back-pedaled back down the corridor, taking them all out before I proceeded.

If you're wondering why I thought the enemies spawned infinitely despite watching Decino's video on the broken enemy counts, it's because I wasn't paying close attention. :hurr:

The final section has you playing through several waves of enemies in an arena. The first one with the screaming bomb guys isn't too bad, so long as you remember to stick to the center of the arena. The next wave I think is the one with the harpies, and I still can't figure out what the best way is to deal with harpies (their movement is weird, and they do heavy damage once they get close). After that is a bunch of bulls, which are easy to deal with. However, the last waves are against two big red mechs, and bunch of skeleton horses. I eventually was able to beat it, but again, I died a lot of times before I was able to do it. I had one attempt where I was doing okay, but then more horses spawned in on top of me, boxing me in.

What I finally figured out was that I had to launch rockets at the mechs, then mow down the skeleton horses with the chaingun. It was then that I realized that the encounters seems to set up like puzzles, where you need to figure out the right movement pattern, the right weapon to use, and which enemies to prioritize.

However, the weaponry feels kind of mixed in terms of quality. You get a second pistol pretty early into the first level, and that's your main source of long-range rapid fire until the end of level four, when you get the Tommy gun. Until then, you're mainly using the single and double barrelled shotguns. The single is fine, but the double really feels like you need to be right up on enemies for it to be effective. The rocket launcher does good damage, and the grenade launcher (which I really started using at the end of Metropolis) works well for large hordes. However, I feel like the rapid fire weapons (Tommy Gun, chaingun, lasers) are preferable, because you're dealing with so many targets, and they close in on you so quickly that using explosive weapons is unsafe.

What I was really surprised to find from checking out Decino's playthrough videos is that the knife is actually super powerful, and you can use it to take down the one-eyed monsters or the skeleton horses with a couple of hits. I thought maybe you could melee some of the large hordes if you bait them properly, but there's too much of a delay between swings.

I'm going to keep pressing through it, but I wanted to share my thoughts so far.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

The next section has you going through a stretch with buildings along the side, and there's a point where two green lizards spawn up on towers. The lizards shoot green homing spheres you can shoot down, but they also spawn a third one behind you, and they take a lot of damage. Now if it was just them, it would be fine, but you're also being attacked by the skeleton horses, which

This isn't the point I gave up, but I got stuck and lost my progress and the thought of playing the game again just to reach that point was. Serious Sam is a franchise I want to like more than I do, it's got a lot of charm but I never really end up enjoying them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

repiv posted:

I'm convinced that the gameplay clip was so influential that it actually set the tone for Eternal, as they obsessively tried to emulate that pro gamer's weapon switching playstyle that was so well received.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serious Sam is at it's best with co-op play, more people the better. I got a bunch of people to play it at a lan years ago (like, a decade and a half lmao) and it was some of the most fun I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Brings a tear to the eye, that's powerful stuff.