Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Sophy Wackles posted:

Did he waive due diligence though? Sounded like twitter was refusing to provide any of the internal user data until after he agreed to the deal and started making threats. I would guess twitter has been lying for years about bot and shill type accounts.

He waived every right to due diligence and process, waived the ability to look at their books and finances, and basically agreed point blank to a contract they wrote that was incredibly one sided that he obviously didn't read because he was high as balls on uppers and no one even his lawyers can get him to sit and listen to exactly how loving bad it was to not do any basic research and look at their books.

Him telling Twitter they would get bought at 54 dollars a share with no due diligence and agree to every term basically was an instant sell to the board and he hosed himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

waiving diligence doesn't necessarily mean twitter can't be held accountable if twitter's public statements to investors have been lies, which i'm sure is the only approach elon's legal team can take.

i think it's going to come down to a judge who knows nothing about the internet or bots or statistics or even basic math trying to decide if twitter's public metrics about monetizable users and bots amount to a lie or not.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He waived every right to due diligence and process, waived the ability to look at their books and finances, and basically agreed point blank to a contract they wrote that was incredibly one sided that he obviously didn't read because he was high as balls on uppers and no one even his lawyers can get him to sit and listen to exactly how loving bad it was to not do any basic research and look at their books.

Him telling Twitter they would get bought at 54 dollars a share with no due diligence and agree to every term basically was an instant sell to the board and he hosed himself.

54.20:420: a share

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Barudak posted:

I wish Trump had just stuck to savaging people on twitter instead if imploding america.

https://twitter.com/rawbub/status/1546992672597938181?s=21&t=UsDU2RbH0yN-5uymn4YC4Q

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sophy Wackles posted:

Did he waive due diligence though? Sounded like twitter was refusing to provide any of the internal user data until after he agreed to the deal and started making threats.

No, he didn't start yelling about twitter's data and bot accounts until after he signed the merger deal. At which point the due diligence thing was already over. Then 3 things happened:
1. Telsa stock took a big dump.
2. Twitter stock didn't go up.
3. The stock market overall was going down.

#3 means he way overpayed. He bought at the peak of the market, and agreed to too high of a price because twitter was playing hard to get. He got double-dared into spending $44 billion. #2 means that investors aren't confident he can actually pull it off.

And #1 means that people aren't fully jokerfied into the Cult of Musk. They see him putting up a buttload of Tesla stock as collateral and thing "wow maybe this insanely overvalued stock won't go up forever". Telsa's stock runs on Elon hype, right now Elon looks like an idiot who stuck his dick in a beehive because somebody said he couldn't impregnate a bee.

Plus it's made the deal more expensive for him and his bankers.

Sophy Wackles posted:

I would guess twitter has been lying for years about bot and shill type accounts.

Here's the thing: anywhere they report on this, they talk MDAU: monetizable daily active users. So the twitter bots that spam every Musk-related tweet with "Elon Musk will double your bitcoin, send money here"? Those aren't MDAUs. They're bots running scripts that don't see ads, or twitter doesn't charge for the ads they load.

So twitter is saying less than 5% of the users that they charge advertisers for are bots. Or in other words, "less than 5% of our non-bot users are bots".

And that's what Elon will have to prove: that twitter is lying about a thing carefully chosen to be true but meaningless.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

waiving diligence doesn't necessarily mean twitter can't be held accountable if twitter's public statements to investors have been lies, which i'm sure is the only approach elon's legal team can take.

i think it's going to come down to a judge who knows nothing about the internet or bots or statistics or even basic math trying to decide if twitter's public metrics about monetizable users and bots amount to a lie or not.

he has to be able to prove it, though

he has to prove not just that the bot numbers are wrong, but also that Twitter knew they were wrong and deliberately lied about them

it doesn't seem like he has any real evidence yet, and it's unlikely that the judge will let him go on a fishing expedition

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. It’s going to be interesting to follow in court and watch Elon and twitter hopefully both go up in flames.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Bad Purchase posted:

Oh it's almost a guarantee that they'll try to find a judge who doesn't even know what a bot is or could be in the context of Twitter. Twitter will show a picture of the maid from The Jetsons using a computer that says "THIS IS WHAT MUSK ACTUALLY BELIEVES"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

he has to be able to prove it, though

a trial like this isn't really about proof, it's about swaying a judge. proof is one way to do that, but probably one of the less effective ways out there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

a trial like this isn't really about proof, it's about swaying a judge. proof is one way to do that, but probably one of the less effective ways out there.

the specifics matter a fair bit because the courts are wise to people pulling bullshit to try to worm out of a deal they've changed their mind on

if he had reason to think that the bot numbers were fake before he signed the deal to buy the company, then he shouldn't have signed that deal

his justification for backing out is that he thought the numbers were true at the time, but now he reasonably believes that they're false. so he has to convince a judge that he had good reason to change his mind on that, and that it wasn't just a bullshit pretext to back out

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bad Purchase posted:

It's not even that, because the actual number of bots on twitter is a fundamentally unknowable number; everyone involved is just choosing the methodology they like best to make their best guess, and the methodology Twitter uses to determine how many bots are on its network was formally codified as part of the deal and stipulated to ahead of time by both parties; if Elon had problems with it, he probably shouldn't have waived due diligence before signing. He has zero ground to stand on. From a legal standpoint, the question comes down to:

1) Did Twitter, using their own internal practices, knowingly, fraudulently misrepresent the number of bots on their network to Elon and their shareholders by a materially significant amount? If they did, they would be hosed, but if you pay attention, Elon's lawyers, as opposed to Elon, are very careful not to accuse Twitter of malicious fraud because they have absolutely nothing to back it up. Instead, they are accusing Twitter of refusing to turn over the sensitive internal numbers they would need to do their own tests, which sounds like a reasonable complaint, except that A) they already waived due diligence so even if they do their own tests, it doesn't actually matter and B) part of the agreement is that Twitter is not required to hand over any sensitive internal information that they feel could damage their value as a company if disclosed, which is a clause Elon probably should have thought harder about before agreeing to.

2) if Twitter didn't knowingly lie, were they at least negligent in measuring the number of bots on their network? The problem for Musk is that a company is generally considered to not be legally negligent as long as they adhere to both the law and standard industry practices, even if those practices turn out to be functionally inadequate (*Cough2008bankingIndustryCough*); and Twitter is, more or less by definition, the industry standard for the industry that they're in. Who is Elon going to claim is using a better system at measuring bots on their network than Twitter: Gab? Parler? Whatever the gently caress Trump is doing?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all the things you are saying rely on a rational judge that understands the case and has no ulterior motive

meanwhile at the rittenhouse trial the judge believed (or pretended to) pinch to zoom was hocus pocus in order to contest photo evidence

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Thanks for the clarification everyone. It’s going to be interesting to follow in court and watch Elon and twitter hopefully both go up in flames.

inshallah

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

all the things you are saying rely on a rational judge that understands the case and has no ulterior motive

meanwhile at the rittenhouse trial the judge believed (or pretended to) pinch to zoom was hocus pocus in order to contest photo evidence

this has nothing to do with technology or bots tho

it's just "did musk believe twitter's numbers when he signed the deal" and "why does he not believe the numbers now"

remember, this is contract law, something that (unlike criminal law) is taken very seriously by the judicial system. there's no loving around when dealing with billionaires' promises to each other

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The number of bots and the volume of bot tweets are two wildly different things. Humans can't post as quickly or as often as a bot can, 24/7/365, nor can they scrape the data to tweet for maximum impact as efficiently. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of active, posting bots at any one time is significantly lower than the number of humans. They're just much more voluminous and (marginally) more annoying.

A bot that doesn't tweet or rarely tweets, like in those million followers packages you can buy to puff up your clout, is a different story. It can be harder to tell if it's a bot as long as the program that spawns it is halfway decent at spoofing its IP.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bad Purchase posted:

the difference between an actual user and a bot/curl/wget script is virtually nil without things like captchas*

*and captchas can, funnily enough, be solved by the same Google suite of tools. Have Google captcha read the words . send recording to Google translation service. get exact text back into previously mentioned Google captcha

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Bad Purchase posted:

So what you're saying is it's a coin flip.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EVIL Gibson posted:

edit: yah Elon should be fined for pulling out if he was shown any sensitive information which, from his responses, were quite sensitive.

i dunno do we really want elon to form a connection between pulling out and bad things happening?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Robo Reagan posted:

i dunno do we really want elon to form a connection between pulling out and bad things happening?

"Can't bust?"
- The Musk

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1546992447770824705?s=20&t=BvX2USSk3NBNts8DcrZp9A

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Robo Reagan posted:

a lot of single mothers and very hateful kids he left behind , I sure hope it sticks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Today Donald Trump truly became President, god bless

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Today Donald Trump truly became President, god bless

It's probably the most cogent, accurate and hilarious slam I've ever seen him land.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

dang

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Donald Trump so presidential he's still assassinating people while out of office

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

is that what we’re calling two sad gross old dudes slapfighting now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sugar free jazz posted:

is that what we’re calling two sad gross old dudes slapfighting now

sad gross old dudes slapfighting is literally the only thing that matters or has any capacity to affect anything in America, you will speak of their dementia gibbering with respect

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
lol suck on that, pedo guy

I wonder if musk will allow trump back on Twitter after this

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

trump can tell elon is just another don jr and is treating him accordingly

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twitter promised they’d let trump tweet again when he wins in 2024 if he helps them humiliate musk

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Once in a while Trump really makes me chuckle in a good way. He is 100% correct too.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Tarkus posted:

Once in a while Trump really makes me chuckle in a good way. He is 100% correct too.

yup

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Strange Poon posted:

trump can tell elon is just another don jr and is treating him accordingly

Haha goddamn.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You guys realize that's not the actual fatass posting that, right? I've unfortunately seen many examples of his twitter posts over the years, he isn't anywhere near that coherent.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Much like Trump made us all look at George W in a different way, Musk and Desantis have me rooting for Trump to continue bodying them.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Gologle posted:

You guys realize that's not the actual fatass posting that, right? I've unfortunately seen many examples of his twitter posts over the years, he isn't anywhere near that coherent.

He is shockingly coherent with insults though. Man doesn't miss

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Gologle posted:

I'm actually fairly certain it is. it's got the rambling cadence down, plus would Trump really let anyone truth for him?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Joe public still thinks of Elon as a Tony Stark genius figure, and the world is about to find out just how dumb he really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gologle posted:

Genuinely, I am unsure. Being a catty bitch is one of the few things about him that seems out with his handler's control.