Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can we talk about the tootsie roll? I mean I guess my only question is why.

KoC has little counter displays all over where you honor system some pocket change for a tootsie roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My MIL was digging through her old Weight Watcher magazines from the 80s and one of them had a cover story called "The tragic story of America's fat retarded youth" and yeah, it was a different time but that's still such a shockingly hosed up title, it's hard to imagine it ever being said straight.

I didn't know FYAD wrote for Weight Watchers back then

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My MIL was digging through her old Weight Watcher magazines from the 80s and one of them had a cover story called "The tragic story of America's fat retarded youth" and yeah, it was a different time but that's still such a shockingly hosed up title, it's hard to imagine it ever being said straight.

:holymoley:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Ah, a fellow Chino Bandido connoisseur

I might have to stop by this week. It's been a couple months since I last went.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

How WASPy is your area that a milliner can stay in business but a hippie food store goes bust?

It was Murrumbeena, Melbourne, which I think is mostly Greek and Jewish.

(E: lol nope, looked up the census results out of curiosity, and ancestry is 90% either "Australian" or the British Isles.)

I did always wonder how that milliner stayed in business. Maybe selling fascinators for all the horse races that go on in Melbourne?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

not an expert as I was a child at the time but its my understanding that it was initially a medical term, with similar origin to 'idiot' or 'moron'. which also came to be a general insult meaning low intelligence. unsure why this one in particular started being regarded as so offensive, probably just because now is when basically everyone is online + talking to each other I guess

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Indecisive posted:

not an expert as I was a child at the time but its my understanding that it was initially a medical term, with similar origin to 'idiot' or 'moron'. which also came to be a general insult meaning low intelligence. unsure why this one in particular started being regarded as so offensive, probably just because now is when basically everyone is online + talking to each other I guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism#Euphemism_treadmill

Happens all the time. People start using the polite term as a pejorative, a new polite term is invented, and the cycle repeats. People already use "special" as a pejorative in this context.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wow, somebody else read the story they wrote about me. :unsmith:

Edit: nobody needs to worry, it's not true anymore - I'm no longer young.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Jul 12, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Agents are GO! posted:

Wow, somebody else read the story they wrote about me. :unsmith:

Edit: nobody needs to worry, it's not true anymore - I'm no longer young.

I hate when I get the Weird Al song "Young Dumb and Ugly" stuck in my head. :corsair:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Lots of tards live kickass lives. My first wife was a tard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Retarding is another term for delaying or slowing down so it started out sounding very official and medical. We have 'flood retarding basins' around here to mitigate floodwaters. In French retard means something like "late" so it pops up when someone says they're running late.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
lotta giggling when my geology class learned about aquatards

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EoinCannon posted:

Retarding is another term for delaying or slowing down so it started out sounding very official and medical. We have 'flood retarding basins' around here to mitigate floodwaters. In French retard means something like "late" so it pops up when someone says they're running late.

And we still use "flame retardant."

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah you don't want to ruin their ambiance with your Chipotle poop sesh. Could throw off the balance of your throuple :ohdear:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

EoinCannon posted:

Yup.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

And there's always the curse of SSRIs:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Parachute-retarded bombs are a thing, too. I think they're used so that you can fly really low over the target without blowing yourself up.

Also for a special anti-runway bomb called Durandal, which works by waiting until it's pointing down and then engaging a rocket to penetrate into the surface and blow up underneath, creating a pocket that's hard to repair.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jul 13, 2022

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Wow, that's just rude, man.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

Also for a special anti-runway bomb called Durandal, which works by waiting until it's pointing down and then engaging a rocket to penetrate into the surface and blow up underneath, creating a pocket that's hard to repair.

Weirdly specific knowledge I've held since like age 13, 1995, from playing Strike Commander.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EoinCannon posted:

there's a magic: the gathering card named Delay

in French, it looks like this

This is very popular with that kind of Magic player, up there with "protection from black" in Spanish, etc

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So are the next 5 pages going to be you cheeky little monkeys listing every single way that you can acceptably use the word 'retarded' in modern parlance?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Breetai posted:

So are the next 5 pages going to be you cheeky little monkeys listing every single way that you can acceptably use the word 'retarded' in modern parlance?
Let's just leave it at French and cut it right here

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

teethgrinder posted:

Weirdly specific knowledge I've held since like age 13, 1995, from playing Strike Commander.

Ha, exactly the same for me! I almost put in "Thanks, Strike Commander"...

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Yeah my mom used to volunteer for the Association for Retarded Citizens of the United States, which is a charity that still exists but they changed their name to "Arc of the United States" back in 1992.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Lots of tards live kickass lives. My first wife was a tard.

Now she’s a pilot!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Breetai posted:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

1 posted:

I didn't know my mum wrote a book

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

1 posted:

oh I was on some poo poo and it was like an effort of will to cum. talking hours of sex or jackin' to cum. also would have night sweats like a mofo. OH and you couldn't shroom on them, it just wouldn't work, had to take a month off to trip.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah you don't want to ruin their ambiance with your Chipotle poop sesh. Could throw off the balance of your throuple :ohdear:
Oh no, this is what they get for doing it right in front of her salad

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

That's brilliant naming for a surface penetration weapon! Durandal was Charlemagne's sword which he supposedly embedded in a sheer stone cliff face outside of a church in France where it is still stuck today (but probably just a replica).

WARNING pic not funny

It's also the name of the AI in Marathon because of Bungie's thing with sword names, I guess.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EoinCannon posted:

Airbus jets yell "Retard" at the pilots when landing.

It's because Airbus is French and it is a reminder to slow down the plane but... yeah.

About 1:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxSmeeTBxM

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

That's brilliant naming for a surface penetration weapon! Durandal was Charlemagne's sword which he supposedly embedded in a sheer stone cliff face outside of a church in France where it is still stuck today (but probably just a replica).

WARNING pic not funny

I did not know that! Cool!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Weapon was developed by a French company, so the name’s in their cultural wheelhouse.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WARNING pic not funny

It's also the name of the AI in Marathon because of Bungie's thing with sword names, I guess.

It ended up as the sword of one of Charlemagne's paladins, Roland. Charlie had it first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hyperlynx posted:

Parachute-retarded bombs are a thing, too. I think they're used so that you can fly really low over the target without blowing yourself up.

I remember it from F-19: Stealth Fighter.

"the manual posted:

The black fighter rolls steeply, airbrakes out. The sonic boom roars ahead of
it, crashing over the airfield like the thunder of the gods. Five hundred feet
above the tarmac two Durandals drop from a weapons pylon, chutes springing
free at the tail of each. The bombs nose downward, floating in air over the
runway. Then rocket motors explode and the bombs leap toward the ground,,
armored heads cutting through the thick concrete. Three feet down the warheads
explode, hurling slabs of concrete in all directions.

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jul 13, 2022