Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

3080 12GB for $730 after promo code: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489

Considering this is a factory OC version of the enhanced 12GB model, I think we can finally say that we've basically hit MSRP on the 3080. We finally did it guys, just 22 months after release. :')

I keep waffling on buying a card now or waiting for the 40 series. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think august is going to be the month that AIBs firesale everything they can. Gigabye is just a bit ahead of the curve

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That can't be right, TAA works fine for me and it's clear when it toggles on or off (no shimmering or aliasing for example)
took me way too long to find because df don't use timestamps in their videos, would it kill them to add more of this stuff

6:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJICLXaHEs&t=364s

wouldn't be the first time they set up something incorrectly so who knows

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I keep waffling on buying a card now or waiting for the 40 series. Dammit.

I wish I had that one, it has RGB :mad: For $70 less than I paid for mine :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently this 3070ti is $450 for Totaltech members ($200 sub)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-tuf-8gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card-black/6467840.p?skuId=6467840

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I hope this is the right place to ask, feel free to point me in the right direction if it isn't.

I rearranged some furniture over the weekend and got my living room tv (a Samsung UN50KU6000 50" LED) into my study to hook it up to the pc and play some games in 'the big screen', since I'm never in the living room and could never quite get steam streaming to work properly.

My main monitors are plain old 1080p/60hz (one on HDMI, one on DisplayPort), the tv is 4k/60hz, I plugged it into an empty hdmi port, windows picked up the tv set, expanded desktop, all nice and good. I went in to turn on HDR for the tv in windows settings and noticed it wasn't listed as available, which was weird. I remembered that the set is HDR capable only in HDMI port 1 and after enabling 'UHD HDMI Colour' from the TV menu. This works, I've had a PS4 hooked up to it and tried it with GoW/Horizon. I changed the tv port to hdmi 1 and... I lose signal on the tv and my main monitor (HDMI) starts going loving mental.

It started doing that 'I'm changing resolutions' thing where it blacks out for a second, then comes back but now the scaling is all hosed, then returns to normal, only... it kept doing it, only way to stop it was to unplug the tv. After some fiddling I remembered that the UHD color thing needs a very specific setting in the control panel, only certain YCbCr uhhh signals? and depth combinations work, so I checked the TV manual:

Aaaaaand, none of them work. If I leave that 'UHD HDMI Colour' option on when I connect the tv to the pc, it starts doing the weird 'resetting resolution' thing on the main monitor over and over again until I unplug the TV or disable the uhd color option. I also seem to -sometimes- be missing some output config options for the tv; earlier today the only available output colour format for it was YCbCr420, now I have RGB, 422 and 444 but no 420? And the dynamic range is only limited?

Am I missing something obvious? Even if I don't get hdr working I'd like to at least be able to enable the full rbg :<

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask, feel free to point me in the right direction if it isn't.

I rearranged some furniture over the weekend and got my living room tv (a Samsung UN50KU6000 50" LED) into my study to hook it up to the pc and play some games in 'the big screen', since I'm never in the living room and could never quite get steam streaming to work properly.

My main monitors are plain old 1080p/60hz (one on HDMI, one on DisplayPort), the tv is 4k/60hz, I plugged it into an empty hdmi port, windows picked up the tv set, expanded desktop, all nice and good. I went in to turn on HDR for the tv in windows settings and noticed it wasn't listed as available, which was weird. I remembered that the set is HDR capable only in HDMI port 1 and after enabling 'UHD HDMI Colour' from the TV menu. This works, I've had a PS4 hooked up to it and tried it with GoW/Horizon. I changed the tv port to hdmi 1 and... I lose signal on the tv and my main monitor (HDMI) starts going loving mental.

It started doing that 'I'm changing resolutions' thing where it blacks out for a second, then comes back but now the scaling is all hosed, then returns to normal, only... it kept doing it, only way to stop it was to unplug the tv. After some fiddling I remembered that the UHD color thing needs a very specific setting in the control panel, only certain YCbCr uhhh signals? and depth combinations work, so I checked the TV manual:

Aaaaaand, none of them work. If I leave that 'UHD HDMI Colour' option on when I connect the tv to the pc, it starts doing the weird 'resetting resolution' thing on the main monitor over and over again until I unplug the TV or disable the uhd color option. I also seem to -sometimes- be missing some output config options for the tv; earlier today the only available output colour format for it was YCbCr420, now I have RGB, 422 and 444 but no 420? And the dynamic range is only limited?

Am I missing something obvious? Even if I don't get hdr working I'd like to at least be able to enable the full rbg :<

I think this mess and some solutions are covered here: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/
I think you’re stuck with the “Custom Resolution” part at this point.

Edit: oh one very important thing: do you have a recent good HDMI cable? You’re exceeding the bandwidth required for older HDMI specs so an older cable may not be able to reliably connect at the “correct” resolution, depth and frequency.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 12, 2022

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

lol DLSS was added to monster hunter rise and it somehow came at the cost of fur rendering being removed

left: DLSS on, right: off

lol it's the new fur displacement test

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

3080 12GB for $730 after promo code: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489

Considering this is a factory OC version of the enhanced 12GB model, I think we can finally say that we've basically hit MSRP on the 3080. We finally did it guys, just 22 months after release. :')

Bought the 12gb 3080 MSI Ventus just before its sale ended a couple days ago. I've been waiting two years for prices to normalize and I just couldn't wait any longer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

lol it's the new fur displacement test

Bought the 12gb 3080 MSI Ventus just before its sale ended a couple days ago. I've been waiting two years for prices to normalize and I just couldn't wait any longer.

You basically bought an AIB TI at $30 over the base card’s MSRP, that’s a good deal regardless of the generation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
6900XT down to $729.00

Prices starting to tumble.

Edit: Overlooked mailed rebate.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The price floor on the 3060 and 3050 haven't budged an inch since April though. Those cards are just stuck in place.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

OhFunny posted:

6900XT down to $779.00

Gets down to $730 after mail-in rebate.

Things are finally becoming affordable again but I can't find any games that I'm excited to play. :mad:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OhFunny posted:

6900XT down to $779.00

This is basically the same deal from a week or two ago. It went up a bit after it hit stock issues but its back again

Its why I think the bottom hasnt been reached yet. Supply is still too high for the demand and the new cards are around the corner.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hopefully prices stay depressed right up until they release the next gen, which I assume NVidia will lead with again. Thus influencing the MSRPs of the next generation.

They may be leading with the halo product 4090 for just this reason, the people picking those up aren't going to care about price so they can keep prices inflated for a bit longer after release, but before the 4070 and 4080 come out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sub $300 is still pretty dire. I wonder how low the 3080 varieties will go and if that’ll put pressure on the 3060/6600xt tier cards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 6600 and 6600 XT prices have been very good, actually. Especially the MSI Mech 2X models. We're currently looking at $255 and $340 respectively, after promo codes and rebates. These are easily the best cards available right now from a price to performance standpoint.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

hobbesmaster posted:

I think this mess and some solutions are covered here: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/
I think you’re stuck with the “Custom Resolution” part at this point.

Edit: oh one very important thing: do you have a recent good HDMI cable? You’re exceeding the bandwidth required for older HDMI specs so an older cable may not be able to reliably connect at the “correct” resolution, depth and frequency.

Got the cable yesterday so I'd like to think so, but at this point I've no idea anymore. :v:

I've given up on the hdr for now until I can try with another cable that I 100% know is up to it; meanwhile I fixed most of the issues by setting the HDMI1 connection on my tv to "pc" (was on 'game console' because that's where I had the ps4), because it turns out that poo poo actually changes something with the way it resolves colours, so now 444 looks great and has full range.

loving tvs man.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Think you all need an exorcist for your systems

When I try to reboot my system, the windows logo becomes into a window to the underworld, where I witness the tormented souls of all my enemies, screaming at me about "waiting for me" and "endless torment". I usually just reinstall and it's good to go for a few more days! :buddy:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
That’s just a group policy setting in enterprise windows

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can GPUs be set to certain power limits the way CPUs can?

this is entirely a thought experiment, but let's say you had an office computer like a Dell Optiplex (and disregard the space/fit limitations of it potentially being an SFF case), and it only has a 250 to 300w PSU, and it's proprietary so you can't replace it

you could use those molex adapters or sata power adapters to fill in the external power connectors of a GPU, but could you also impose a strict limit of, say, 100w or whatever, so that it'd work with the PSU, even if you were leaving a lot of performance on the table?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yes, that's your power limit, and you can also undervolt. if the GPU is under 75 watts you wouldn't even need external power, that's popular

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
looks like a once-in-a-lifetime oversupply of gpu's at this rate

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1546879353199513601

wonder what the case is in other semiconductor spaces

and prices are still barely coming down in europe lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
prices are definitely coming down in the UK, fwiw. more on promo than anything else, but there was basically no promo at all for almost two years

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shipping costs are still a big deal.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we also don't have a lot of membership systems and bundle campaigns, which is probably where they'd normally try to sell stuff like this at a lower price

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of bundles, just got an email from EVGA this morning that they are bundling 4 games (well 2 games and 2 xpacs) with 30 series cards now. Ghostwire: Tokyo, DOOM Eternal and DOOM Ancient Gods 1&2

https://www.evga.com/articles/01577/face-your-demons/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ooooooh, gamers nexus got their hands on an intel dgpu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-dcK4h4ZU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lol it also only has 8x lanes. only as bad as the 6600 rather than 6500 but how much can this possibly save

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CoolCab posted:

lol it also only has 8x lanes. only as bad as the 6600 rather than 6500 but how much can this possibly save

It absolutely takes up pcb and silicon space, no idea on cost and practicalities though. Unlike the 6500 this card probably isn’t practically limited in realistic use cases.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i mean having watched a little more and learned about how functionally mandatory resizable bar is, lol, i mean maybe you wouldn't wanna pair it with a pcie gen 3 system anyway

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

later pcie3 platforms do have reBAR

that's a really weird behaviour though

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

later pcie3 platforms do have reBAR

that's a really weird behaviour though

it was happening to a lesser extent in 6600 reviews i want to say, my idiot uneducated guess at the time was it had something to do with the lane bottleneck somehow. i really can't picture how that would be helpful but then i am very foolish, and headstrong.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat maybe I shoulda looked in this thread before jumping on a 3080 for 700, didn't realize there was a 12gb version, oh well, hopefully the 10 is enough.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CoolCab posted:

ooooooh, gamers nexus got their hands on an intel dgpu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-dcK4h4ZU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

runaway dog posted:

drat maybe I shoulda looked in this thread before jumping on a 3080 for 700, didn't realize there was a 12gb version, oh well, hopefully the 10 is enough.

It’s fine.

However, the 12 GB version is basically the same as the ti version, which is between a 5% performance increase so it is “better”. Probably not worth the cost of shipping something back but if you’d be returning to a local Best Buy/microcenter sure, free performance I guess? Up to you, I would expect a 3080 to be a very respectable card through the next 2 generations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so Intel manages to release a dedicated GPU at a time when it prices have come down and supply has improved so much that it's no longer going to exert competitive pressure on the market, AND it can't compete with its similarly-priced peers?

like, I'm not saying Intel could/should have released earlier, but that's really unforunate

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Actually not nearly as bad as I expected honestly. The sub ~$130 range has barely gained any performance or products the last few years, so it’s almost competitive lol.

Gives me a little hope for the A7 and A9 series parts, was fully expecting this whole lineup to be a wash until at least Battlemage.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/1547251708568297472

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I hope they only built like 100 of those 3090tis because I suspect it’s going to be difficult to move those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s fine.

However, the 12 GB version is basically the same as the ti version, which is between a 5% performance increase so it is “better”. Probably not worth the cost of shipping something back but if you’d be returning to a local Best Buy/microcenter sure, free performance I guess? Up to you, I would expect a 3080 to be a very respectable card through the next 2 generations.

no, and I'm doubly stupid because I bought it off ebay used, didn't even know the drat 3080TI brand new was going for close to what I paid after tax and shipping, scrambling to try and cancel the order but I'm not optimistic