Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well drat, diarrhea'd so hard I had to strip from the waist down because on a primal level it made it slightly more bearable. So maybe it was the eggs from this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Which thread is this? :psyduck:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The long lost "posting while pooping" thread from BYOB :hai:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

McCracAttack posted:

Which thread is this? :psyduck:

Stupid/lovely Questions Megathread

Edit: ^ Yours is better.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

What's the cheapest place to get a suit for a wedding? I know I could go to Goodwill or whatever and get one for twenty dollars, but I have a weird body shape in that I'm pretty tall but skinny, and 100% of "tall" clothes at Goodwill are for Very Rotund Fellows. I've never been to Men's Wearhouse; is that a "cheap" place to get a suit? By cheap I guess I mean I don't want to spend more than a hundred dollars. I just need the jacket and I guess pants that go with it is all.

You can rent a suit rather than buying one if you just need it for one event. That should be a cheaper option.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can rent a suit rather than buying one if you just need it for one event. That should be a cheaper option.

That will likely be the way to go.

Hey, new question: Any time there's an 80s thing happening, whether it's a dance or music or a video game, this image or a very similar image is used:

I know this is just kind of "80s aesthetic" or whatever, but is it a reference to a specific thing?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

credburn posted:

That will likely be the way to go.

Hey, new question: Any time there's an 80s thing happening, whether it's a dance or music or a video game, this image or a very similar image is used:

I know this is just kind of "80s aesthetic" or whatever, but is it a reference to a specific thing?

I don't think so. It's often called "Outrun", though it wasn't actually in that game. This wiki just calls it "Synthwave".

https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Synthwave
https://medium.com/@cywjoel/outrun-the-aesthetic-deconstructed-dbd3cd8679b7

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't think so. It's often called "Outrun", though it wasn't actually in that game. This wiki just calls it "Synthwave".

https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Synthwave
https://medium.com/@cywjoel/outrun-the-aesthetic-deconstructed-dbd3cd8679b7

Oh, wow, this is fascinating. Thanks. I didn't realize this was a thing. Oh and now I've learned about ... Fashwave :|

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

No probs!

credburn posted:

Oh and now I've learned about ... Fashwave :|

Yeah, same :/

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

would hitler have been a hardstyle guy or a trance guy?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Goon Boots posted:

would hitler have been a hardstyle guy or a trance guy?

Outwardly hardstyle, but secretly trance when no one is looking.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Do SSDs or microSD cards ever do the thing my last HDD did where it said "oops i'm 7 months old and i corrupted the entire data block"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

Do SSDs or microSD cards ever do the thing my last HDD did where it said "oops i'm 7 months old and i corrupted the entire data block"

My NVMe drive just went kaput on Friday, total data loss. It was less than two years old. Back up your poo poo, folks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My NVMe drive just went kaput on Friday, total data loss. It was less than two years old. Back up your poo poo, folks!

In the end, it was a VMe drive.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What do people think about when they're trying to go to sleep? I mean besides work and other various worries.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

What do people think about when they're trying to go to sleep? I mean besides work and other various worries.

I try not to think about work or other things that I'm worrying about. If I catch myself doing that, I redirect, generally to either a piece of chill music I'm familiar with or to some harmless fantasy (e.g. what if I could fly, what if my dog could talk, what if I lived in the wilderness).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McCracAttack posted:

Nothing. If I'm thinking about something I'm not going to fall asleep.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Nothing. If I'm thinking about something I'm not going to fall asleep.

Tell me your secrets. My wife can fall asleep in about 5 minutes. It will take me about 25 and any slight sound or comfortableness will make me wake up and move around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

obi_ant posted:

Tell me your secrets. My wife can fall asleep in about 5 minutes. It will take me about 25 and any slight sound or comfortableness will make me wake up and move around.

Instead of thinking about something, I just don't do that. :shrug:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

... you've lost me.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I catch myself doing that, I redirect, generally to either a piece of chill music I'm familiar with or to some harmless fantasy (e.g. what if I could fly, what if my dog could talk, what if I lived in the wilderness).

Yeah, I've done this since I was a kid. I've probably spent literal years laying in the dark imagining what it would be like to live by myself in the woods. Which is kinda messed up because there's nothing stopping me from actually doing that for a while.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 13, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tiggum posted:

All right then, keep your secrets.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I started it when i was a kid so i dont know if its pavlovian or what, but i roll my (closed) eyes a little back in my head and think calm, peace, quiet, sleep with each word on a heartbeat.

I also read before i go to sleep, usually 15 or so minutes -- nothing im interested in, most times just part of a chapter in a book ive read before. It makes my eyes tired and its easier to fall asleep.

Not sure how that might work for anybody else but the combo of those two things usually does it for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have a radio very quietly playing bland rock music because I need that or some kind of white noise. Absolute silence makes my brain try to gnaw free. But also at night the ADHD medication has worn off so "stop thinking" is about as useful advice as "eat your own elbow"
Then idk I think about when I was cooking dinner earlier and how I'd re-frame it as a scene in a movie or a comic or something. What sound effects are best for cooking noises? What are the camera angles? What font am I cooking dinner in? Is there a soundtrack? Is there a Foley artist whose entire job is to imitate the sound of ripening bananas.
Whatever pleases the hamster wheel in my brain and being asleep happens eventually

Anyway does any of this help? Absolutely not it's 2am

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

So a person with a standard SCUBA setup can stay underwater for like ~45 minutes with a tank (this is based on quick googling, doesn't matter too much). Assuming you had a shark that was around the same size as a person, and they had a similar-sized reverse SCUBA suit on land, with water tanks on their back , how long could they stay on land?

Anyway this is the kind of poo poo I think about when I should be sleeping. Sometimes I play 'girl from ipanema' in my head and that helps though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trapick posted:

So a person with a standard SCUBA setup can stay underwater for like ~45 minutes with a tank (this is based on quick googling, doesn't matter too much). Assuming you had a shark that was around the same size as a person, and they had a similar-sized reverse SCUBA suit on land, with water tanks on their back , how long could they stay on land?

Anyway this is the kind of poo poo I think about when I should be sleeping. Sometimes I play 'girl from ipanema' in my head and that helps though.

Well it depends on what assumptions we make about how this equipment works.

The air in the human‘s tank is compressed at something like two hundred fold, though effectively half that at ten metres depth.

Water, in contrast, is incompressible. Instead of having over two thousand litres of air when expanded to atmospheric pressure, the shark is working with only the oxygen dissolved in twelve litres of water, which is very little.

If the shark has some kind of a setup where compressed air is dissolved into water on the fly, then it might win, because it has a lower metabolic rate than a human of the same body mass has.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think this question comes up regularly in this thread but I'd still like some advice. I'm looking into using a VPN service and from a little googling it seems NordVPN and ExpressVPN are to top choices right now. I looked at some articles comparing the two and ExpressVPN is twice as expensive, but also they compare all kinds of features and I don't know what to take into account. I'm a bit wary of 'active scanning shield' and poo poo like that because in my experience that's a thing that anti-virus software offers to bloat the price while not doing anything actually useful for someone like me.

Looking at NordVPN, if I take the cheapest option I'm missing out on a cross-platform password manager, a data breach scanner and 1tb encrypted cloud storage but that's poo poo I don't need if I'm not already using it, right? It's not like I do a ton of illegal stuff or want to hide from the authorities, and I'm not a particularly vulnerable/profitable target for hackers. I'm just a dude that wants to be able to get around some region blocks and stuff.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you just want it to watch region-restricted videos and avoid ISP letters about :filez: and stuff, go with the cheapest major offering. NordVPN is probably that, make sure you find a coupon code somewhere.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Trapick posted:

If you just want it to watch region-restricted videos and avoid ISP letters about :filez: and stuff, go with the cheapest major offering. NordVPN is probably that, make sure you find a coupon code somewhere.

Cheers, thanks!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Also make sure you do NOT run your banking and other important money stuff through the VPN. You do not want your bank to think some sketchy person is trying to access your account from the other side of the world and lock it down when you're trying to transfer rent money or whatever.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Trapick posted:

I think the solution to this question is reading Junji Itoh's Gyo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

obi_ant posted:

I have a similar problem. I've tried many things. One that that works a lot of the time if I'm having trouble shutting my stupid brain off is to pick a letter of the alphabet and think of as many words as I can that start with that letter. It keeps my brain busy and eventually I just drift off while trying to remember another word that starts with s.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Well it depends on what assumptions we make about how this equipment works.

The air in the human‘s tank is compressed at something like two hundred fold, though effectively half that at ten metres depth.

Water, in contrast, is incompressible. Instead of having over two thousand litres of air when expanded to atmospheric pressure, the shark is working with only the oxygen dissolved in twelve litres of water, which is very little.

If the shark has some kind of a setup where compressed air is dissolved into water on the fly, then it might win, because it has a lower metabolic rate than a human of the same body mass has.

The very next post posted:

I think this question comes up regularly in this thread

I was very let down that the thread regular question was not still "how long could sharks breathe in a scuba-but-water-contraption?"

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

obi_ant posted:

I focus on the sensation of breathing, either the chest rising and falling or the hot and cold sensations around the nostrils, whichever is easier.

It often used to take me 30 minutes to fall asleep, but now it's around 5 almost every night.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I left Facebook a long time ago. I don't miss it at all, but all of our local hobby groups exclusively organize through it and will shut you out completely if you don't have an active account. Several people in the group that prompted me to look into signing back up do so under accounts with fake information, not tied to themselves at all; these people have had these accounts for 5+ years (it's a group I got out of a long while ago and am coming back to) with no issue whatsoever, and I remember people from ~2010 and earlier doing the same who also still have their accounts working. On the other hand, every time I've tried to set up a burner account (with actual email/etc, not 10minutemail junk), my new account gets suspended in under 5 minutes, before I even finish account setup, and Facebook demands ID to prove I am who I say I am. Obviously that doesn't exist for an account explicitly intended to not show my personal information. Did Facebook just crack down hard on account signup at some point to where burner accounts can't register any more, or what's the trick for getting through their automated filtering? I don't want anything out there that I don't have some degree of control over, but these people will never switch off of Facebook even if you paid them to, so I'm stuck with either making a burner actually work or reactivating my old account and trying to purge everything I can.

If there's a better thread for this I'll go elsewhere, but it sure feels like a "stupid question" since I'm the only person who seems to have trouble with this.

Answering my own question: looks like they did crack down hard enough that anyone who already had a burner is fine, and anyone trying to make one now is SOL, so guess I'm just hosed.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Taeke posted:

I think this question comes up regularly in this thread but I'd still like some advice. I'm looking into using a VPN service and from a little googling it seems NordVPN and ExpressVPN are to top choices right now. I looked at some articles comparing the two and ExpressVPN is twice as expensive, but also they compare all kinds of features and I don't know what to take into account. I'm a bit wary of 'active scanning shield' and poo poo like that because in my experience that's a thing that anti-virus software offers to bloat the price while not doing anything actually useful for someone like me.

Looking at NordVPN, if I take the cheapest option I'm missing out on a cross-platform password manager, a data breach scanner and 1tb encrypted cloud storage but that's poo poo I don't need if I'm not already using it, right? It's not like I do a ton of illegal stuff or want to hide from the authorities, and I'm not a particularly vulnerable/profitable target for hackers. I'm just a dude that wants to be able to get around some region blocks and stuff.

Mozilla makes a VPN now. Seems roughly comparable on price and IMO less shady that what seems like a marketing company that bought a tech product to sell. Dashlane is a password manager that includes a VPN with their product for cheaper than Mozilla or NordVPN. I use the password manager and can highly recommend it (especially a family plan for sharing PWs with a partner), but I don't use a VPN for anything so I can't really evaluate. I'm just sharing these ideas because they seem like slightly more reputable options than the most popular search results. Maybe I've just got paranoid suburb boomer brain about this segment of the internet though, I don't know.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

McCracAttack posted:

Here's something that helps me get to sleep.

Pick a subject that's not very meaningful, but you know pretty well - geeky trivia works for me.

Now imagine explaining in great detail that thing to someone who is interested, but knows nothing about it.

It's like reading yourself a bedtime story.

So for myself, I'll go over the plots of comic book stories or MGS or something else that you would never actually finish, and there's a lot of backtracking. I'm usually out in 15 minutes at the most.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

obi_ant posted:

I don't mean to brag but I fall asleep in less than a minute every time :smuggo:

The secret to falling asleep is routine, exercise, and extreme sleep hygiene. You need a reason to be tired and you need a place/time completely dedicated to falling asleep rather than looking at a phone or reading a book.

The secret to staying asleep is a softer bed and a heavy blanket, at least for me. I have to be wedged in there and covered up like a skeleton in a pompeii closet

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
There’s an app called Calm that has a course on basic meditation techniques that focuses on how to think about nothing. I fall asleep about 10x faster than I used to just by thinking about nothing. I got pretty much nothing else out of the app, but that one skill was very useful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a similar problem. I've tried many things. One that that works a lot of the time if I'm having trouble shutting my stupid brain off is to pick a letter of the alphabet and think of as many words as I can that start with that letter. It keeps my brain busy and eventually I just drift off while trying to remember another word that starts with s.
Stuff like that seems to help a little bit sometimes.

I basically have two modes. At home, 99% of the time I'll fall asleep within 10 minutes or so and sleep until the alarm clocks wakes me up.

Outside though... oh boy. If everything isn't perfect there's a good chance I won't fall asleep. Never managed to sleep on a plane or bus (without a lot of pills) or even in hotels sometimes. This weekend I went to a music festival and was supposed to sleep in a tent and I think I had maybe 4 hours of sleep over 3 nights? Sure the conditions weren't ideal but also I was tired as hell so you'd think it would be trivial to shut off immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a stupid question: I just bought speakers and an amp to connect them to my tv, and the amp only has rca lines in while my tv only has optical audio and headphone out ports. Will the signal from the headphone port be as good as the optical audio out? I’d be using a 3.5mm-to-rca cord to connect the tv to the amp.