Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

man that vader v inquisitor fight is so close to being good, its infuriating. The concept is there, but the guy in the suit moves too fast, and Vader is too reactive instead of just tanking through it all, and the camera gets just a little too lazy. also Vader doing the little force gestures just looks goofy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

remember how cool it was when magneto sucked the iron out of that prison guard in x-men 2

the force could be that cool but it's never used well

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

remember how cool it was when magneto sucked the iron out of that prison guard in x-men 2

the force could be that cool but it's never used well

that’s too OP

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

excellent ernest memories

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

:eyepoop:

I used to think more goons with weird movie opinions were trolling, but at this point I think some folks are just reflexive contrarians, but not in like, a "fake opinion" way.

When someone authentically lives under a bridge and eats billy goats its not really "trolling" any more, is it?

one of my earliest forum memories is of an OG reg date goon complaining about the inexplicable goon lust for Shelley Duvall when I said I found her attractive

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

John Wick would loving destroy the most powerful Jedi easy.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

now I'm watching Ernest Goes to Jail (which is still very good and harmless and precious and I'm having a lot of big laughs) and I sincerely don't remember the prison guard uniforms being this out of control

That is some good youtube video lighting.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

That is some good youtube video lighting.

hey Vern, it's straight to video know what I mean

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mantis42 posted:

John Wick would loving destroy the most powerful Jedi easy.

It seems like guns with bullets would really gently caress up a jedi. You could just light obiwan up with an assault rifle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Communist Thoughts posted:

It seems like guns with bullets would really gently caress up a jedi. You could just light obiwan up with an assault rifle

At least some EU stuff outright has people who expect to fight Jedi specifically using shotguns (aka 'slugthrowers') as they're weapons that Jedi aren't used to and aren't easily deflected by lightsabers. IIRC, the specific reason Mandalorians pack flamethrowers is to counter Jedi, the close-range deterrent that gives them some breathing space.

Incidentally, I'm still disappointed that they had Mando meet a Jedi and didn't discuss backstory and how the Mandalorians and Jedi ironically have a lot in common at that point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i think i need some help understanding what deep message rage against the machine was trying to convey with their music that wasnt just the machine is bad and should be raged against

I'm a bit more confused by what vaccines and trans rights have to do with The System

Do right-wingers think RATM are libertarians or what

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

(not so) eagerly awaiting the first #girlboss travis bickle with brain turned to mush from too much true crime podcasts who decides to take matters into her own hands. kinda like a liberal comet ping pong

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

loquacius posted:

I'm a bit more confused by what vaccines and trans rights have to do with The System

conservatism is the real punk rock counter culture, dontcha know?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Blood Boils posted:

hey Vern, it's straight to video know what I mean

It was released in theaters

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

growing up I straight up never met a single person who was like, a real fan of star wars

the prequels came out when I was a kid in elementary school and they just had like no cultural impact on us whatsoever

drat thats crazy, there were a bunch of star wars fans at school and on my hockey teams growing up

I remember being psyched for the Phantom Menace and then it came out and having my kid brain all :aaa: over it, only beyond some merchandising here and there I noticed at the time that it didn't have the same impact - I didn't see any of my friends with Jar Jar or Naboo stuff, except the occasional Darth Maul toys/masks/halloween costumes and that rad lightsaber staff he used

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The double bladed lightsaber is one of those things where George's laziness accidentally finds the shortest path to something really cool

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I read that Rolling Stone article and its crazy. Like the author lays out "heres the girl and her mom at several beauty pageants, here's their talent agency where they advertise as family influencers, heres this and this. Nevertheless, Tiktokers are convinced in the thousands that this girl is either a kidnapped child or an adult that has been shrunk with some sort of powerful ray. They believe this because the bedroom they film in has a lock on it, and there are speakers in the corners."

Plus the comments on all their vids are like "wear a green hat if you're a trafficking victim <3"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I read that Rolling Stone article and its crazy. Like the author lays out "heres the girl and her mom at several beauty pageants, here's their talent agency where they advertise as family influencers, heres this and this. Nevertheless, Tiktokers are convinced in the thousands that this girl is either a kidnapped child or an adult that has been shrunk with some sort of powerful ray. They believe this because the bedroom they film in has a lock on it, and there are speakers in the corners."

Plus the comments on all their vids are like "wear a green hat if you're a trafficking victim <3"

the internet has driven everyone insane

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Here's a pull quote from youtuber DramaKween, who is one of the big accounts pushing the abduction theory:

You’ve got a mother and child doing TikToks together on a set. We don’t know where they live. We don’t know the verifiable age of the child. So many of these weird things that come together — why is there a door in this set, why are there speakers in the corner of this bedroom? There are so many unanswered questions, which is why it’s so interesting to me.

[In extremely "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit" voice] "if there's speakers in the corner, this girl is a different girl who went missing in seattle and got both aged up 3-4 years and turned white by mysterious methods"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

why is there a door in this set,

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the internet has driven everyone insane

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

TheSlutPit posted:

The main issue imo was the tonal shift, it felt a bit campy for a sequence that was intercut with ostensibly serious scenes. The whole trope of "million year old sensei sighs while unsheathing his sword and proceeds to kick rear end" is extremely good though.

Y'know a movie that handles this exact trope really well? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990). At the end of the film, Shredder hasn't exactly won, but he's forced a draw. His organization and plan are wrecked, but he's proven that the turtles can't stop him, personally. He beat them all and only took one minor wound. He can just walk away and rebuild. Splinter shows up, Shredder can't get over his need for revenge, and ends up throwing himself into the garbage. It establishes the wise old master as a badass, with one move he defeats the enemy who beat all the turtles, but without just making him "just like the turtles, but faster and more acrobatic". He is on a different level and fights in a different way. The villain is defeated by exploiting his previously established character traits. This is thematically satisfying.

Lucas clearly just wanted frenetic visual spectacle, which I guess is ok, but like, huge chunks of the rest of the movie are frenetic visual spectacle.

loquacius posted:

A whole shitload of conservatives are adults with Oppositional Defiant Disorder who think "The System" is when mom made them take their diarrhea medicine.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah. Also it is funny to me that DramaKween was first involved in this human right/mad science issue because she searched "creepy tiktok family" to get content for an off week where she still needed to get a vid out. I love the honesty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The child trafficking poo poo is so especially weird, desperate and projecting.

Also a lot of blood libel vibes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was a shithead libertarian when I was a teenager too and I still understood that RATM were communists

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the MeToo movement and then Epstein entering into the public consciousness cracked open something in a lot of people's brains that was not able to be neatly put away. Like there's an awareness that stuff like child trafficking and sex abuse by the elites is happening, but also that they cannot really be held accountable for any of it.
So I think they're trying to find another path to resolve the feeling that something needs to be done about this terrible thing, and their brains land on "my 'neighbor' (in this case some other random tiktoker) is also doing child trafficking and I will hold THEM accountable for it."

Serf
May 5, 2011

The double bladed lightsaber is one of those things where George's laziness accidentally finds the shortest path to something really cool

i go back and forth on whether including that in the trailer was a good idea. it's a pretty fun moment in the movie, and i feel like it should have been saved, but at the same time it is extremely hype to see in the trailer and it probably sold untold millions of dollars in cheap plastic toys

really trailers just loving suck these days. that michael bay movie ambulance is basically entirely in the trailer, i feel like i've basically seen the film already

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

why is there a door in this set

finally someone’s asking the hard-hitting questions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it’s especially upsetting cause child trafficking is a big deal. like a huge deal, and one of the most evil practices on Earth

and the only people taking it seriously in a public, demonstrative way are loving imbeciles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the MeToo movement and then Epstein entering into the public consciousness cracked open something in a lot of people's brains that was not able to be neatly put away. Like there's an awareness that stuff like child trafficking and sex abuse by the elites is happening, but also that they cannot really be held accountable for any of it.
So I think they're trying to find another path to resolve the feeling that something needs to be done about this terrible thing, and their brains land on "my 'neighbor' (in this case some other random tiktoker) is also doing child trafficking and I will hold THEM accountable for it."

I think it's pretty common and a big part of culture wars and conspiracy theories to realise on some level the people doing awful poo poo are unapproachably powerful, and instead finding and inventing reasons to scapegoat people who are perceived as easier targets.

I suppose it always ends up coming down to antisemitism, doesn't it?

Serf posted:

i go back and forth on whether including that in the trailer was a good idea. it's a pretty fun moment in the movie, and i feel like it should have been saved, but at the same time it is extremely hype to see in the trailer and it probably sold untold millions of dollars in cheap plastic toys

really trailers just loving suck these days. that michael bay movie ambulance is basically entirely in the trailer, i feel like i've basically seen the film already

Movie marketing has been like this forever, a lot of old B-movies and such have marketing materials that give away almost everything.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Shudder shows old trailers between streamed movies and teah, a bunch of B-horror trailers from the 60's through 80's are just "every important scene, in sequence". Sometimes with a narrator spelling out the entire plot.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shudder shows old trailers between streamed movies and teah, a bunch of B-horror trailers from the 60's through 80's are just "every important scene, in sequence". Sometimes with a narrator spelling out the entire plot.

we need to find the happy medium between this and random shots from the movie with the inception BWAH horn over and over or like a soft piano cover of an old pop song

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Ideal trailer is that the director gets a ten second talking head to give you the elevator pitch of the plot, and then just shows you some 50 seconds of some shots to let you know what the movie looks like.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Y'know a movie that handles this exact trope really well? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990).

Turtle power!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of some theory about the Ed, Edd n Eddy episode where the boys are playing Space Outlaws in a junkyard based on Ed's understanding of a movie they haven't seen, and Ed knows so much of the plot probably because of this kind of thing.

I mostly like the idea because it explains how in the end the boys have to drag Ed off when they get tired of it and want to do something else; Ed doesn't know how to conclude it because he hasn't seen the ending.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of some theory about the Ed, Edd n Eddy episode where the boys are playing Space Outlaws in a junkyard based on Ed's understanding of a movie they haven't seen, and Ed knows so much of the plot probably because of this kind of thing.

I mostly like the idea because it explains how in the end the boys have to drag Ed off when they get tired of it and want to do something else; Ed doesn't know how to conclude it because he hasn't seen the ending.

I kind of want a future episode that shows each of the kids as they are as grownups except they're all senators.

Double d who is somehow still an intern.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

A whole shitload of conservatives are adults with Oppositional Defiant Disorder who think "The System" is when mom made them take their diarrhea medicine.

watched the first ep of "the anarchists" on hbo and it looks like the "machine" to conservatives is literally just "taxes" that's it. it's all rich people who get mad because their big paycheck is slightly less big because of the government, therefore any government is the enemy.

well, it's MOSTLY rich people pissed about taxes, there's also a libertarian stoner couple who joined the mexico anarchist community because they got busted with weed and it's lol that they're way more into libertarian philosophy than the rest of the folks there and start calling everyone out for being not hardcore enough

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Turtle power!

Is someone giving out "Big Tiddy GGGILF Pelosi" avs and what thread do I need to avoid to avoid that, cause I think yours is the third or fourth I've seen.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember going back and watching the first TMNT movie years ago, the first time I had seen it since I was a kid, no less, and I was genuinely surprised that it was far better than it had any right to be

Good movie!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I love the depiction of the Foot Clan's hangout spot/honeypot. Free cola! One half pipe! Arcade games with skulls in them! And at the end, the option to join a samurai death cult!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I kind of want a future episode that shows each of the kids as they are as grownups except they're all senators.

Double d who is somehow still an intern.

the cul-de-sac was purgatory :byodood: