Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Uh... yeah, that's one I got recently... :tinfoil:

YouTube does this thing where if it thinks something should be shown in a particular kind of video it shows it to everyone it thinks will like it. Not spying on you, just an educated guess my weird recommendation would be the same as yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

YouTube does this thing where if it thinks something should be shown in a particular kind of video it shows it to everyone it thinks will like it. Not spying on you, just an educated guess my weird recommendation would be the same as yours.

Just gonna put on another layer of tinfoil just to be safe.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Assuming this is true, what is the motivation? Something like: up to early 2022 head count = growth = success, now profitability down so they need to cut costs?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The words " top ten, Nazis or Hitler or SS or panzer' seem to be stuck in my loving world. I keep getting 14 year old video recommendations that I literally watched 14 years ago.

What the gently caress man I watch a ton of YouTube and I still get all this crap.

I don't want to watch Hitlers ten best moments.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The words " top ten, Nazis or Hitler or SS or panzer' seem to be stuck in my loving world. I keep getting 14 year old video recommendations that I literally watched 14 years ago.

What the gently caress man I watch a ton of YouTube and I still get all this crap.

I don't want to watch Hitlers ten best moments.

Just remove every channel you never want to see anymore from your recommended until the algo either gets the hint or YouTube runs out of Nazis

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I am baffled as to how YouTube algorithms work. I have my history/tracking thing turned off but it still kind of seems to know that I like certain music or comedy. And then I get weird poo poo like "Top 10 mistakes people make when replacing an electrical outlet" or some Tucker Carlson poo poo in my recommends and have no clue how those rise to the surface.

The music and comedy is probably guessing based on your general demographics.

The rest is the general stuff YT suggests to everyone because those kinds of videos perform really well under the algorithms. People who fall down the right-wing media hole watch that stuff constantly and consistently, teaching the algorithms that it's good stuff to recommend.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Harold Fjord posted:

Not just about the probability that you'll watch a video, but they're probably still doing the dumb meta algorithm where they want you to watch videos that they think will get you to keep watching more videos and so they show you links to videos that might lead you down a rabbit hole of becoming an insane right wing freak

This has happened to me a lot but usually it's like with music, movie clips, repair videos or stand up comedy and poo poo. Like, I get why playing a Led Zeppelin song might lead to suggestions for some live shows, interviews or ACDC songs but nothing I've ever watched (or searched) would suggest to Google that I want to hear what Sean Hannity or Jordan Peterson have to say about anything

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

BiggerBoat posted:

This has happened to me a lot but usually it's like with music, movie clips, repair videos or stand up comedy and poo poo. Like, I get why playing a Led Zeppelin song might lead to suggestions for some live shows, interviews or ACDC songs but nothing I've ever watched (or searched) would suggest to Google that I want to hear what Sean Hannity or Jordan Peterson have to say about anything

Yeah but on the off chance you do, the data suggests you will watch a lot of it, so it is an opportunity with a low cost and high potential rewards.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.pcgamer.com/developer-turns-future-of-gaming-talk-into-a-surprise-attack-on-conventions-nft-and-blockchain-sponsors/

:owned:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d3bqz/complaints-to-government-show-americans-slow-descent-into-madness-over-spam-calls

Complaints to Government Show Americans’ Slow Descent Into Madness Over Spam Calls

"HOW LONG MUST I FEAR" wrote one citizen beset by robocalls.

quote:

People at the limit of their patience with spam calls have been emailing the chairwoman of the Federal Communications Commission Jessica Rosenworcel in a desperate attempt to make the unwanted calls from scammers and robocallers stop. Emails obtained by the transparency site Government Attic under the Freedom of Information Act paint a desperate picture of people who just want the phone to stop ringing.

The FCC encourages people to contact it with reports about unwanted calls or spoofed phone numbers—“your complaint provides valuable information that we use to inform policy decisions,” its website says—but that process involves filling out a specific form online, not sending emails directly to its chairwoman’s inbox.

If they ever get this ironed out they need to work on spam email next. Somehow. I swear to god since I registered on a few job sites my inbox is riddled with bullshit I never used to get. I have burner email accounts for most other things but for a job search I really need to get replies on my main address.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d3bqz/complaints-to-government-show-americans-slow-descent-into-madness-over-spam-calls

Complaints to Government Show Americans’ Slow Descent Into Madness Over Spam Calls

If they ever get this ironed out they need to work on spam email next. Somehow. I swear to god since I registered on a few job sites my inbox is riddled with bullshit I never used to get. I have burner email accounts for most other things but for a job search I really need to get replies on my main address.

The only non-spam call I've gotten in months is someone who thought I had called her, somebody probably used my number as a robocall spoof.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The only non-spam call I've gotten in months is someone who thought I had called her, somebody probably used my number as a robocall spoof.

Building PBXs to do this is so trivial now, it would require enforcement actions on the major cloud providers to have any legs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BlueBlazer posted:

Building PBXs to do this is so trivial now, it would require enforcement actions on the major cloud providers to have any legs.

Other countries manage to solve this so I'm going to say there's no technological barrier. Start fining telecoms for spoofs and they'll suddenly find a way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wasn’t STIR/SHAKEN supposed to fix all this?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Other countries manage to solve this so I'm going to say there's no technological barrier. Start fining telecoms for spoofs and they'll suddenly find a way.

other countries with less english speakers are less lucrative for anglophone scammers. the technological problems exist for all nations equally, but some nations simply don't have enough wealth to be worth scamming, or are too difficult to scam because its hard to find enough scam call center workers who speak danish or hebrew or whatever

Arivia posted:

Wasn’t STIR/SHAKEN supposed to fix all this?

stir/shaken is a big help but ultimately as long as telecoms are connected to the internet you're going to get robocalls, and as long as large telecoms which follow the law are interconnected with small telecoms which ignore the law, you're going to get robocalls. its easy to blame at&t or whoever but really folks are just getting mad about the first telecom they can name by memory when there are thousands of telecos out there who are larger contributors to the problem

spam filtering is easier because you have the contents of the message and can detect likely scam or fraudulent content before the message hits the recipient. with calls you know nothing about the content of the call, just who the call is allegedly from according to the telecom who is passing it to your network, who themselves may have been fooled in turn

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
German has enough speakers to be lucrative for spammers.

The big difference is that the German Bundesnetzagentur has absolutely no chill and will decapitate any spammer. I haven't had an unsolicited call in a decade.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

German has enough speakers to be lucrative for spammers.

The big difference is that the German Bundesnetzagentur has absolutely no chill and will decapitate any spammer. I haven't had an unsolicited call in a decade.

you haven't, but many people have

https://www.dataguidance.com/news/germany-bundesnetzagentur-announces-complaints-about

the problem with telemarketer regulation is that it doesn't apply to other countries. german or UK law doesn't apply in india or nigeria. and mandates to shut down all possible avenues by which international robocallers can reach your own citizens means forcibly shutting down and sunsetting certain functionality, such as international VoIP or legacy systems which can't support things like stir/shaken

the impulse to blame lazy, greedy companies is understandable but like many problems of modern life, once you look into the problem it turns out it way more difficult to solve than employing one weird trick or simply banning the nuisance!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One step to reducing the amount of spam is that every telecom should be required to provide filtering and caller ID to all accounts. Verizon and AT&T have reserved those features for premium users, and it creates a particularly vulnerable market for fraudsters. T-Mobile has been using their app- and network-based spam protections to advertise their services for several years now, but everyone should have that protection as standard. Overall, telecoms need to adopt the kind of widespread security infrastructure that is used in computing, where security features, firewalls, and malware protection is spread as broadly as possible. This isn't just good for the users, but it also creates a better and more stable business market.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Block all calls coming via international peering that are presenting a CLI of the country they are calling into. If you're a global carrier and you want to drop calls onto the German PSTN from a German number then fine, set up an office in that country, comply with the regulations for operating as a carrier, and enforce those rules on the people you provide service to. There should be no expectation that a company based in e.g. San Francisco should be able to pretend they are calling from Berlin without having any legal presence locally.

Then we can get started on proper authentication of CLI before moving to silently terminating all calls that don't use a valid one, in the same way nobody expects their emails to be delivered if their SPF/DKIM/DMARC records are configured incorrectly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If the problem is that there are laws and the smaller telecoms are just violating them then why isn't the FTC or FCC coming down on those telecoms?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If the problem is that there are laws and the smaller telecoms are just violating them then why isn't the FTC or FCC coming down on those telecoms?

exemptions and delayed requirements for compliance with the laws. implementing this stuff can be hard and expensive because it often requires physical infrastructure replacement, the big telecoms can move faster than some mom and pop outfit

https://www.engadget.com/fcc-small-carrier-stir-shaken-robocaller-caller-id-loophole-005630458.html

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Thanks Ants posted:

Block all calls coming via international peering that are presenting a CLI of the country they are calling into. If you're a global carrier and you want to drop calls onto the German PSTN from a German number then fine, set up an office in that country, comply with the regulations for operating as a carrier, and enforce those rules on the people you provide service to. There should be no expectation that a company based in e.g. San Francisco should be able to pretend they are calling from Berlin without having any legal presence locally.

Then we can get started on proper authentication of CLI before moving to silently terminating all calls that don't use a valid one, in the same way nobody expects their emails to be delivered if their SPF/DKIM/DMARC records are configured incorrectly.

As someone who works for a voip provider, this breaks far more than it solves. It's roughly the same as saying "We should monitor for illegal activity at all the routers before letting traffic into the United States."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well for one thing, smaller providers didn't need to comply with STIR/SHAKEN until a couple weeks ago. And there's still an exemption out until next year for "facility-based" small providers. So it may take some time for these modernization regulations to take effect.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/fcc-pushes-stirshaken-deadline-small-voice-providers

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

BiggerBoat posted:

The first Presidential Candidate who promises to punish these people/companies in a dramatic fashion will win …

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

I ended up getting a paid account at SimpleLogin and connecting it to a domain I own. Forward the jobsearch alias to wherever you want and then just disable it once you have a job and let spam get blackholed.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

TACD posted:

I ended up getting a paid account at SimpleLogin and connecting it to a domain I own. Forward the jobsearch alias to wherever you want and then just disable it once you have a job and let spam get blackholed.

Or just use Gmail’s task-specific email addresses by putting in a +: https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VideoGameVet posted:

The first Presidential Candidate who promises to punish these people/companies in a dramatic fashion will win …

Gonna be weird seeing neither party win the election in '24 :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It seems like one of those problems that's bing-bong-bing, so simple to solve! only if you do absolutely no in-depth thinking about it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PT6A posted:

It seems like one of those problems that's bing-bong-bing, so simple to solve! only if you do absolutely no in-depth thinking about it.

I think the key is highly publicized prosecutions with serious prison time and agreements with a specific south Asian nation to cooperate on this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Again, as with any of those American problems that "can't be solved", other countries have solved this. So it's solvable. So when it is not solved here, in USA #1, it's legitimate to call bullshit on how "complicated" it is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Again, as with any of those American problems that "can't be solved", other countries have solved this. So it's solvable. So when it is not solved here, in USA #1, it's legitimate to call bullshit on how "complicated" it is.

Has any other country solved it, though? I see that some countries are doing better, I don't see anyone saying it's remotely a solved problem.

I assure you the extent of the problem is horrific in Canada, too.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I don't get spam calls in the UK? Rarely I'll get a "you pick up and head a automated hang-up tone" but this has never been a problem that I have put any thought into?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PT6A posted:

Has any other country solved it, though? I see that some countries are doing better, I don't see anyone saying it's remotely a solved problem.

As someone who works in the telecom industry: no. It's just different. It's more SMS/MMS spam than voice calls.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

You need gdpr

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

no, but if i claim other countries have solved it, then i can make it seem like a bing-bong-bing so simple solution which america is simply too stupid and corrupt to deal with

e: united states isn't even in the top 10

https://truecaller.blog/2021/12/17/top-20-countries-affected-by-spam-calls-in-2021/

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 14, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ShoeFly posted:

Or just use Gmail’s task-specific email addresses by putting in a +: https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html
You can do this, but 1) it’s so trivial to reverse-engineer the “real” email address that even spammers have figured out how to do it, and 2) many services won’t accept email addresses with a “+” character, even though it’s part of the email address format spec.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

As someone who works in the telecom industry: no. It's just different. It's more SMS/MMS spam than voice calls.

It’s ALL voice calls here (USA).

And besides the usual auto warranty thing there’s:

1. Fake Amazon order
2. Fake lawsuit.
3. Fake IRS.

Just put some of these people away for a decade or two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Short of international co-ordination with the Indian government and police -- which the RCMP has done to deal with India-based scammers targeting Canadians -- there's not really much you can do to "put them away." The scammers aren't working in some office down the street where you can trivially just bust them for breaking the law. You can't fine the "companies" for breaking the relevant telecom laws because they aren't in your jurisdiction. It's a criminal enterprise, everyone knows it, and it's not trivial to deal with unless you're open to taking measures that will break a whole lot of things for a whole lot of legitimate users.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Police/government don't really seem bothered to putting any kind of pressure on India to address this, despite the fact that the businesses doing a lot of these scams are large openly operating call centers. A couple of Youtubers have done far more to fight this problem (and put pressure on the Indian police) than western governments appear to have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Police/government don't really seem bothered to putting any kind of pressure on India to address this, despite the fact that the businesses doing a lot of these scams are large openly operating call centers. A couple of Youtubers have done far more to fight this problem (and put pressure on the Indian police) than western governments appear to have done.

Watching YouTubers hack scammers and return money and
poo poo is definitely a big Saturday activity for me.

Has anyone else noticed a gigantic uptic in web ads over the last month or so

What is the best way to loving block all this poo poo I'm so loving tired of it the ads basically eclipse the entire screen half the time and can't be closed

And no I don't have a virus or some poo poo. It's my phone. It won't loving stop