Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Agean90 posted:

the reddest state in the country has anywhere from 25 to 35% of it's population vote for the democrats in presidential elections, and that's just the ones who want to cast a vote that objectively doesn't matter. Red state blue state discourse is brain rot

It's almost like people aren't motivated to vote when their vote accomplishes nothing and the 2 major political parties offer so little to help people in their daily lives, but could be convinced when there's real qualitative improvements to their material conditions available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
hot summer in austin, tx but not too hot for Drafthouse United to call for a sick out at the flagship Alamo Drafthouse theater on july 5th due to corporate refusing demands. on july 6th a member of Drafthouse United was fired in retaliation, and also denied their Weingarten Rights in the process. Drafthouse United has created a petition to demand reinstatement, but it would also be cool to show corporate DU has community support so check it out if you get a chance

https://chng.it/xmvgP8Vprx

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is this the right place to post this stuff?

https://twitter.com/SeanOrrMKE/status/1545125011702284288

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

it sure is!!

third group of verizon stores to unionize this year:

https://twitter.com/VzwUnion/status/1546588999724085249

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/profwolff/status/1547257044272615424

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Had my first discussion with a local organizing advocate about unionizing my department. Talked about identifying specific individuals who were open to organizing and previous work she'd done. God help me, what am I getting myself into?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Chachi posted:

Had my first discussion with a local organizing advocate about unionizing my department. Talked about identifying specific individuals who were open to organizing and previous work she'd done. God help me, what am I getting myself into?

the tide of history, such that you may control it rather than getting swept along

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chachi posted:

Changing the future, good luck on the organizing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Chachi posted:

probably about to genuinely positively change the lives of more people than you've ever done before in any other venture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SethGoldstein13/status/1548297218351775744

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Union thread/THPS crossover event: Vicarious Visions is unionizing. Do you think they’ll demand more THPS games in their contract https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/07/19/blizzard-albany-vicarious-visions-union/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.nrn.com/workforce/chipotle-permanently-closes-first-store-filed-unionization

Chipotle closed down it's first unionized store.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
NLRB gonna come down on them super hard by uhhhh telling them Hey Don't Do That

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scumbag poo poo.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's afraid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Anyone have handy a quick explanation of why the pigs aren't "labor"?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They are class traitors, their job is to suppress labor. This aligns their class interests in direct opposition to other workers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Anyone have handy a quick explanation of why the pigs aren't "labor"?

they're agents of capital that oppresses labor, they're class traitors and the refusal to lump them in with real labor isn't (just) a way to tell them to gently caress off morally but a safety issue to protect actual laborers from oppression.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/UFWupdates/status/1549750968777973760?cxt=HHwWgIChhfKS6YErAAAA

The UFW twitter account is a really fun follow

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
who wants some a-spicy AFL-CIO drama?

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1550139601356001280

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
That's not surprising but also lol wth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Shuler is a cop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the UAW is having their first constitutional convention since their executive leadership was all imprisoned for corruption and membership voted overwhelmingly to adopt a direct election model in 2021. will be a extremely contentious convention as the Reuther Caucus (yes as in Walter Reuther its been the same exec leadership caucus for like 80 years now lol) is going to do all kinds of slimy poo poo to hold onto their power. important for US labor in general bc I think UAW is top 3 or 4 union by membership # in US, and they've been under continual attack for decades by auto companies, first with tiered systems, then using 2008 as an excuse to suppress wages and cut benefits while bringing in Temps, all while the executive body was literally stealing money from the international strike fund and letting shops work w/o contracts. EV manufacturing is also a major sticking point bc auto companies have been using it as another way to weaken union, EV jobs aren't union bc the UAW hasn't fought to keep them under contract. lovely all around.

Teamsters rank and file organizers had to fight for a long time to cast off the Hoffa stink, the corruption charges kinda jump started a rank and file movement in UAW, and the John Deere strikes carried out last year against UAW leadership's recommendations point to a militant membership ready to fight for a lot more. Wish there was good coverage of this but it's probably too niche for even labor focused press to cover comprehensively...

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Labor notes has a intro article about it

https://labornotes.org/2022/07/uaw-delegates-head-convention-and-prepare-first-direct-elections

Some of the UAWD people were at the labor notes conference so I'd guess they'll have more coming up about it. One of the guys spoke alongside Chris Smalls and Sean Obrien from the teamsters.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My weed edibles company has been treating us like poo poo for a while, no performance raises for years, no AC all summer, and now they just told us we have to work mandatory overtime every day starting next week, so it looks like I'm gonna have to start actually pushing for unionization or quit. I've got a lunch meeting scheduled with the other main pro union guy here, hoping he can be the point man for this cause he's way more personable than I am and can absolutely convince more people than I.
gently caress this is stressful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Organic Lube User posted:

My weed edibles company has been treating us like poo poo for a while, no performance raises for years, no AC all summer, and now they just told us we have to work mandatory overtime every day starting next week, so it looks like I'm gonna have to start actually pushing for unionization or quit. I've got a lunch meeting scheduled with the other main pro union guy here, hoping he can be the point man for this cause he's way more personable than I am and can absolutely convince more people than I.

Good luck, it gets a whole lot less stressful once you have a group committed to it and it's lifted off of any one person's shoulders

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

good luck! don't think just because someone else is better at one-on-one convos that you need to take a backseat. it's just different skillsets, that's all. there's so much more to the unionization drive: choosing messaging, logistical planning for meetings, strategies for how to talk to certain members, and real big-picture stuff including what union you should even be with (i'm sure that Teamsters, RWDSU, SEIU, and UFCW, among others, would all love to have you onboard).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this is my former workplace in Seattle. one of the reasons they fired me back in 2015(?) was they were worried i'd start a union.

https://twitter.com/CKUnion_/status/1552057532247465984

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

this is my former workplace in Seattle. one of the reasons they fired me back in 2015(?) was they were worried i'd start a union.

https://twitter.com/CKUnion_/status/1552057532247465984

Good poo poo

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

good luck! don't think just because someone else is better at one-on-one convos that you need to take a backseat. it's just different skillsets, that's all. there's so much more to the unionization drive: choosing messaging, logistical planning for meetings, strategies for how to talk to certain members, and real big-picture stuff including what union you should even be with (i'm sure that Teamsters, RWDSU, SEIU, and UFCW, among others, would all love to have you onboard).

I think UFCW is most applicable in Colorado for what we do.

And everything else you mentioned is what I'm hoping to do. But the thought of being That Guy in the TikTok that gets posted when things start kicking off terrifies me. I don't speak well under pressure and tend to instead say things like "gently caress off, eat my rear end in a top hat."

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

And everything else you mentioned is what I'm hoping to do. But the thought of being That Guy in the TikTok that gets posted when things start kicking off terrifies me. I don't speak well under pressure and tend to instead say things like "gently caress off, eat my rear end in a top hat."

nah, that doesn't have to be you, not at all. i know the iceberg metaphor is cliche but it's really true here, the public-facing stuff like talking to the media or to a video that gets posted to TikTok is such a tiny percentage of the work that needs to be done to unionize.

what's way more important than being the person in a TikTok is being the one to analyze "i think getting Susie to be the person running our TikToks would be best because it will get her more involved with the campaign and she has the perfect energy for social media videos"

you can even write scripts for other people to read on camera. so much stuff to do. but that's far off- i'm assuming you've met with UFCW already? i'd also poke around some workplaces currently unionized with that local to see what the view is from people working under a contract with them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

at the UAW convention delegates voted down a constitutional amendment to remove tiers from all existing CBAs as soon as possible and never again include tiered job structures in future negotiations. A bummer of a loss but it also sounds like it was the first time in many many years that a vote was actually forced on an amendment bc usually the reformist caucuses didn't even clear the % threshold necessary to call a debate+vote. It's a start at least.

I have a feeling this will be the pattern for all of their goals like changing strike pay (strike pay in UAW only kicks in after 2 weeks on the strike line so most workers on hourly wages are discouraged from supporting&joining strikes) and changing the way the executive board manages the international strike fund so they stop hoarding that poo poo in their tiny little council. But also seeing leadership just openly slap down pretty baseline reforms on the convention floor is undoubtedly shifting more members away from supporting the old guard.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

nah, that doesn't have to be you, not at all. i know the iceberg metaphor is cliche but it's really true here, the public-facing stuff like talking to the media or to a video that gets posted to TikTok is such a tiny percentage of the work that needs to be done to unionize.

what's way more important than being the person in a TikTok is being the one to analyze "i think getting Susie to be the person running our TikToks would be best because it will get her more involved with the campaign and she has the perfect energy for social media videos"

you can even write scripts for other people to read on camera. so much stuff to do. but that's far off- i'm assuming you've met with UFCW already? i'd also poke around some workplaces currently unionized with that local to see what the view is from people working under a contract with them.

Haven't called them yet, still at the point where I'm seeing how feasible it will even be. The guy I'm about to talk to will have a much better idea of how much of a percentage of support we should expect. If all goes well I'm going to encourage him to contact the UFCW with me. So far there's only one other cannabis business that's unionized, so not much to model on.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

at the UAW convention delegates voted down a constitutional amendment to remove tiers from all existing CBAs as soon as possible and never again include tiered job structures in future negotiations. A bummer of a loss but it also sounds like it was the first time in many many years that a vote was actually forced on an amendment bc usually the reformist caucuses didn't even clear the % threshold necessary to call a debate+vote. It's a start at least.

I have a feeling this will be the pattern for all of their goals like changing strike pay (strike pay in UAW only kicks in after 2 weeks on the strike line so most workers on hourly wages are discouraged from supporting&joining strikes) and changing the way the executive board manages the international strike fund so they stop hoarding that poo poo in their tiny little council. But also seeing leadership just openly slap down pretty baseline reforms on the convention floor is undoubtedly shifting more members away from supporting the old guard.

for some reason, a lot of unions balk at the idea of increasing dues to go to a strike fund. in CWA, dues are 1.3%, which are split 1.15% to running the union and 0.15% to the strike fund. they could double the strike fund and members would barely even notice.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Haven't called them yet, still at the point where I'm seeing how feasible it will even be. The guy I'm about to talk to will have a much better idea of how much of a percentage of support we should expect. If all goes well I'm going to encourage him to contact the UFCW with me. So far there's only one other cannabis business that's unionized, so not much to model on.

teamsters have an entire local for cannabis stuff: https://teamster.org/420-2/

edit: maybe it's not an actual local?? but it's an organizing effort, at least

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

I know the Green Dragon grow-house workers in Denver organized with UFCW so you'd have some more comrades in the industry there.

Not sure if you've already done any organizer training, but the Denver DSA Labor committee is involved in this training in August for workplace organizing: https://workerorganizing.org/volunteer/organizer-training-sign-up/?amp

and I know they were also plugged in to the Green Dragon organizing, so you might be able to attend one of their meetings or reach out to see if you could get in contact with someone who's already done something like this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

kingcobweb posted:

one of the reasons they fired me back in 2015(?) was they were worried i'd start a union.

you can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

for some reason, a lot of unions balk at the idea of increasing dues to go to a strike fund. in CWA, dues are 1.3%, which are split 1.15% to running the union and 0.15% to the strike fund. they could double the strike fund and members would barely even notice.

it definitely reeks of that US business union mentality that the union bureaucracy exists to soothe the employer/worker relationship rather than be the radical vehicle for class warfare that they originally were created for. It manifests across so many different sectors and orgs too, I see quite often on materials/websites etc.a pitch like "we support strikes but only as a last ditch effort, 95%+ of our contracts are settled without a strike, it's a nuclear option that should only be finely considered" etc. It gets me all boiled up when strikes are pitched as a tough sacrifice for members to undergo. It's the most uplifting and powerful action possible! It's a way to live out the theory that the employer needs us as much as we need them. People should be striking left and right and getting used to going on strike not just for their own contract, but for workplaces in the neighbor not even in your local or even affiliated with a nlrb union.

Workers aren't viewing it like that though increasingly. Looking at the wide variety of Starbucks locations going on strike to reinstate workers who were retaliated against, or the variety of locations going on recognition strike, the rank and file notions are changing and leadership is like 4 decades behind on the rhetoric and tactics

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

it definitely reeks of that US business union mentality that the union bureaucracy exists to soothe the employer/worker relationship rather than be the radical vehicle for class warfare that they originally were created for. It manifests across so many different sectors and orgs too, I see quite often on materials/websites etc.a pitch like "we support strikes but only as a last ditch effort, 95%+ of our contracts are settled without a strike, it's a nuclear option that should only be finely considered" etc. It gets me all boiled up when strikes are pitched as a tough sacrifice for members to undergo. It's the most uplifting and powerful action possible! It's a way to live out the theory that the employer needs us as much as we need them. People should be striking left and right and getting used to going on strike not just for their own contract, but for workplaces in the neighbor not even in your local or even affiliated with a nlrb union.

Workers aren't viewing it like that though increasingly. Looking at the wide variety of Starbucks locations going on strike to reinstate workers who were retaliated against, or the variety of locations going on recognition strike, the rank and file notions are changing and leadership is like 4 decades behind on the rhetoric and tactics

100%. "we settle most contracts without a strike" is all over CWA poo poo, even though internally people that worked on the 2016 verizon strike are super proud of it and will bring it up cooonstantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I don’t have much to add except that I can echo in training

Lots of official language against striking, lots of members who want it badly