Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Zoobtro posted:

so she isn't a mutant human, but a mutant clandestine?

I mean, her brother has the same djinn ancestry and he's human. She's just a human that has the inhuman gene/x-gene. Hell, the Noor might just be human+ like Shang Chi's matrilineal ancestry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

pretty sure it was just a gag

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm still shipping Kamala and Bruno :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

pretty sure it was just a gag

Pretty sure the line said at the end of the show that builds up in a big dramatic manner and ends with a musical stinger keyed to recall another property fans are expecting before the cast use it to tie up the show's theme about Kamala's character isn't just a joke. It might serve as that too, the the tone of the scene, the musical choice etc. make it pretty clear it's meant to be taken as more.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

tsob posted:

Pretty sure the line said at the end of the show that builds up in a big dramatic manner and ends with a musical stinger keyed to recall another property fans are expecting before the cast use it to tie up the show's theme about Kamala's character isn't just a joke. It might serve as that too, the the tone of the scene, the musical choice etc. make it pretty clear it's meant to be taken as more.

i mean, we've been here before

disney loves trolling the mutants

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kamala is actually Mephisto

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

i mean, we've been here before

disney loves trolling the mutants

When did anyone in a previous entry treat the existence of mutants with such gravitas?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

tsob posted:

When did anyone in a previous entry treat the existence of mutants with such gravitas?

not sure how much gravitas it had when she dismissed it and was jokingly asking for the car keys in the space of 3 seconds

Kamalas not even a mutant in the comics to my knowledge so it doesn't make any sense either

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

disney would be the biggest idiots in the world not to do mutants now that they have the rights, it's not trolling it's just laying the groundwork for poo poo that'll be like 2025-2030

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

not sure how much gravitas it had when she dismissed it and was jokingly asking for the car keys in the space of 3 seconds

I am, given Bruno's tone when saying it. Along with the dramatic music. Even Kamala didn't dismiss it, she just said it was another label in a "I'm not letting any define me; new or old". Which, again, kind of ties into the entire theme of her character.

Also, Kamala may not be a mutant, but the Inhumans are mutant stand ins and Marvel even tried to use them for that in the comics in the last few years before they acquired Fox.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

kazil posted:

Kamalas not even a mutant in the comics to my knowledge so it doesn't make any sense either

She's an Inhuman which is mutants with the serial numbers filed off

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

tsob posted:

I am, given Bruno's tone when saying it. Along with the dramatic music. Even Kamala didn't dismiss it, she just said it was another label in a "I'm not letting any define me; new or old". Which, again, kind of ties into the entire theme of her character.

Sure. Or it could be a joke. Jokes are sometimes set up with serious set ups.

In memory of Ralph Bohner, I'm taking it as a joke until proven otherwise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

Sure. Or it could be a joke. Jokes are sometimes set up with serious set ups.

In memory of Ralph Bohner, I'm taking it as a joke until proven otherwise.

Sure, and when the payoff is a joke the show makes it clear through things like music, tone, the way characters react etc. No-one and nothing in that scene said the audience should take the payoff as a joke.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

getting fans worked up is the joke

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kazil posted:

hot take but i think they want to get fans worked up so they will be excited for movies they want to see

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kazil posted:

I don't understand this logic. It's a thing that can't possibly pay off for like, at least a year. That's a long time to wait for a rug pull.

Also, Ralph Bohner kind of sucked? I don't know why you're assuming they're eager to jump back into that. You're intentionally removing all context from this.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Arist posted:

I don't understand this logic. It's a thing that can't possibly pay off for like, at least a year. That's a long time to wait for a rug pull.

Also, Ralph Bohner kind of sucked? I don't know why you're assuming they're eager to jump back into that. You're intentionally removing all context from this.

They purposely picked Evan Peters to play Pietro and the payoff was a boner joke I'm not sure what other context there is?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kazil posted:

They purposely picked Evan Peters to play Pietro and the payoff was a boner joke I'm not sure what other context there is?

The context is they're not idiots and don't want to piss people off by setting up mutants, a thing people both want to see and pretty much is guaranteed to happen eventually, and then going back on that after a year. It's bizarre to think they would do that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

So just to be clear, what you're saying is that it's not that it was a joke in the show but that the show treated it completely seriously, and you're concluding that in a show about the most sincere character in the franchise, a show whose writers have thanked the fans on social platforms for watching etc. that the writers are pranking the fans by asking them to take something seriously?

Okay.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 13, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

One pays off in the same season of the same show within a few weeks, one won't ever pay off if it's just a joke.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I don't think they are gonna be playing it as a joke (spoilers)

Also, Iman :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

When MCU X-men is out in 2032 or whatever and directly ties into a line in the final minutes of this show you are all more than welcome to come back and dunk on my posts.

To me, it's just a goofy line with some disney/marvel metahumor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

so really they're playing a trick on their newest teenage star in an elaborate long-con, and also tricking the entire writing staff and crew and kevin feige

quote:

“Oh my god, best day of my life!” Head writer Bisha K. Ali tells Marvel.com when asked about being able to include that word.

However, this wasn’t always the plan. The creative team wanted it to feel organic and not forced, and as Ali continues, “It wasn't from the beginning [of the show]. With Marvel, something's always a moving piece, and we're trying to solve this question of, ‘If any of [Kamala’s family] put the bangle on, would they have powers?’ The answer was always no, from a character perspective, no.” So, right from the get-go, making Kamala different from the rest of the Khans made sense.

When the opportunity to actually give Kamala this backstory to explain why she could harness the power of the bangle while others couldn't, it simply “fit into the logic of the wider MCU.”

And when Vellani learned this was happening? That’s when she emailed Feige in all caps.

“They sent me, and only me, the draft [of the final episode], and I immediately freaked out,” Vellani recalls. “I emailed Kevin Feige in all caps. I was like, are you doing this like for real? Are you sure? I'm so honored! I was like yelling at him through an email. I was freaking out. This is the biggest deal in the world, and the fact that it's happening in our show is crazy.”

Kamala’s DNA was the biggest secret behind-the-scenes, with very few knowing what was going to happen at the end of the episode. Matt Lintz, who actually breaks the news to Kamala in the episode, eventually had to be let in on the secret — but it took some time.

“They didn't even have it in [the script],” he explains. “I remember I was having a conversation about it and [the directors] were like, ‘Yeah, you say this crazy thing.’ They wouldn't even tell me what it was! I was like, ‘What's the deal here?’ They were very secretive about that whole thing.”

Vellani also knows that the reaction to this reveal is going to be through the roof. “People are going to lose their minds. They're going to lose everything. I did. It's truly a really big deal.”

When it came time to actually film the scene it was a challenge, not but for the obvious reasons. Vellani and Lintz simply kept giggling every time the cameras were rolling, knowing the weight of the word.

“It took a really long time to film that scene because any time Matt would say that word I'd start giggling,” Vellani explains. “I think we got the one take. The one you see in the episode is one of two that we got where I was mildly serious. It was really, really, really difficult. I think we have so many outtakes of me just breaking because I was so excited and giddy over this.”

“Iman could not get through a take because…she was beaming, like, out of character beaming,” Yasmeen Fletcher, who plays Nakia and is just out of earshot in the scene, adds. “They had to cut and refilm that so many times.”

“Iman was laughing,” Lintz continues, with a laugh himself. “She was laughing almost every second. It was hilarious because she just was like, ‘This is so cool.’ She couldn't believe that I was saying this to her. Obviously, it's so big for her character. We were going through the scene and she kept laughing. It was making me laugh.”

Elsewhere on set, the whole crew was freaking out and giggling, too. As Lintz recalls, “I remember…you could just hear in the background [the crew] all screaming and the excitement and joy that they had was really, really funny. It's a very big moment. I was just blessed and lucky enough to be able to share that with Iman and everybody else.”

Vellani still can’t believe she’s allowed to even say the word out loud now. “It makes me so excited, I can’t even put it into words. I feel very, very honored, very, very lucky.”

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Can the US just induct Iman Vellani as a national treasure already?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Weird how the article doesn't use "the word" even once.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Klungar posted:

Weird how the article doesn't use "the word" even once.

I like to imagine they did two takes, one where Bruno says Mutant and one where he uses the less flattering term Inhuman. And then they didn't reveal even to the press or the actors, which is the correct version. If I was Kevin Feige, I'd have done it that way. That article said that they did manage to do just two shots where the actors stayed slightly serious.

Also it's cool how personally involved Feige seems to be, even though he basically rules over an empire. The fact that he communicates with Iman so much, even though she's just one of like 3 dozen main characters is nice.
On the other hand, he is a genuine Marvel geek, who grew up with that stuff. For example, I don't think Scarlet Johansen was especially excited about the introduction of Yelena or Taskmaster to the MCU.
I could see Jeremy Renner knowing who Kate Bishop is.

Okay, which actors do you guys think have read a few pages of their characters comic books?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 13, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like to imagine they did two takes, one where Bruno says Mutant and one where he uses the less flattering term Inhuman. And then they didn't reveal even to the press or the actors, which is the correct version. If I was Kevin Feige, I'd have done it that way. That article said that they did manage to do just two shots where the actors stayed slightly serious.

Also it's cool how personally involved Feige seems to be, even though he basically rules over an empire. The fact that he communicates with Iman so much, even though she's just one of like 3 dozen main characters is nice.
On the other hand, he is a genuine Marvel geek, who grew up with that stuff. For example, I don't think Scarlet Johansen was especially excited about the introduction of Yelena or Taskmaster to the MCU.
I could see Jeremy Renner knowing who Kate Bishop is.

Okay, which actors do you guys think have read a few pages of their characters comic books?

A lot of them do. Some like Samuel L. Jackson were already comic readers, but many have read at least a few issues or the main ones that are being adapted for scripts. Deborah Ann Woll fought heavily in Daredevil to change the comic storyline of Karen Page to make her a stronger and more heroic supporting character instead of a traitorous drug addict who gets killed by Bullseye. She actually has the most Netflix MCU screentime outside of the main hero for each show.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tsob posted:

Can the US just induct Iman Vellani as a national treasure already?

US can't but Canada could

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The US will never take her from us.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Overall, solid finale and possibly the best Marvel Studios Disney+ show to date, even given some significant flaws (the Clandestines are just underdeveloped wet farts of villains, and the Pakistan episodes, while good, feel like a storyline that would have been better saved for a second season). the family/teen dramedy stuff continues to work very well, and the finale got in my good graces by keeping the stakes relatively small and by thankfully not making Kamran go full villain after a few scenes that seemed to be going in that direction (I know he’s a villain in the comics, but the first five episodes didn’t do anything to properly set up a heel turn here).

re: the pre-credits reveal: in and of itself, I have no objection to the idea; in the comics, Kamala was introduced as an Inhuman primarily because of a top-down push from Perlmutter et al. at the time of her creation to make the Inhumans more like the X-Men, so making her an actual mutant in the MCU has a certain undeniable symmetry to it.

having said that, it feels kinda shoehorned in given that she already had an origin provided in this series, and I’m honestly not sure how the bangle/Clandestine/Noor stuff fits in. does Kamala have a set of purely genetic powers without the bangle that we haven’t seen yet? Or was all the Pakistan backstory a red herring that has nothing to do with her powers, which seems implausible given the amount of time spent on it and Kamran’s very similar abilities? Or were the Clandestines just mutants all along who only happened to reside in a different dimension? The last one seems like the most plausible to me, but their being mutants doesn’t quite square with their having the same (fairly low-level) powers.

post-credit scene was a nice little tease, I guess the bangles are the MCU version of the Nega-Bands?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Thread title suggestion: MCU TV: Do You Even Like British Bake Off?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
That line definitely teases the X-Men. You don't need a master's degree in media studies to pick up what they were putting down.

I thought the show was great. Up there with Loki as the cream of the TV crop. My only minor complaints are the "a few bad apples" portrayal of the cops and the cliche of having to fight someone with the same powers, though they did freshen it up by not having him go full bad guy.. And that they haven't announced season 2 yet.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

That line definitely teases the X-Men. You don't need a master's degree in media studies to pick up what they were putting down.

I thought the show was great. Up there with Loki as the cream of the TV crop. My only minor complaints are the "a few bad apples" portrayal of the cops and the cliche of having to fight someone with the same powers, though they did freshen it up by not having him go full bad guy.. And that they haven't announced season 2 yet.

My take on it was that the local cops were getting sick of DoDC wrecking a school, shooting at kids and provoking a super-fight that was endangering the public which included themselves and even then they were pretty flimsy "human shields" for Kamala given how easily they were pushed out of the way. Meanwhile, Cleary wasn't calling off Deever and then chewing her out because he objected to her use of force. He was doing it because she was going to make the DoDC look bad on TV and then did make them look bad on TV. It's pretty clear that the DoDC is filled to the brim with rotten, wormy apples.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You can interpret the line at the end all you want, but it was accompanied with a music stinger that definitely tilts it completely in that direction if you know what I’m saying.

I just finished the series and enjoyed it. I could’ve actually liked to see this season go longer and have a few more adventures and develop these characters. It was a fun cast. Otherwise it’s pretty good and stands on a higher tier than some other marvel shows (falcon and the winter soldier mostly).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The cops were just opportunists just like real life, they are only out to save their own skin and if showing token resistance after the poo poo hits the fan is the way to do that then they will do that. That community will remember what they were doing before that.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that bangle can time travel too or whatever that was, so maybe Carol came from a different time? :aaaaa:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oasx posted:

I'm still shipping Kamala and Bruno :colbert:

Bruno is a true G and everyone should be trying to swoop him up.

That was a great series and I loved the teases, especially about who Kamala is because I never would've expected that.

Also I think we've pretty much confirmed that the bangle is one part of the Nega Bands. Carol coming in at the end was great, and I liked her new costume.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So is Shang-Chi going to be in The Marvels? Or is the alternate dimension with magical jewerly connection a coincidence?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

So is Shang-Chi going to be in The Marvels? Or is the alternate dimension with magical jewerly connection a coincidence?

I kind of doubt the first bit. Figure The Marvels will already have Carol, Kamala, Monica and Nick Fury plus whatever they're going to have to fight. Figure adding Shang-chi would be a little too much at this point. Maybe later. Besides, figure there's all kinds of magical/supertech accessories out there. I doubt we're gearing up for the Eternity Bracelets or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Arist posted:

Ralph Boner, The Mandarin reveal, and setting up the comics-accurate Winter Soldier program only for Zemo to reveal that he killed all of them were all very good. Trolling the fans is generally very funny and the reactions to the Mandarin/Ralph were even funnier.