Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a really dumb situation that is evolving and I need some internet hooligan opinions about it. Excuse my idiotic metaphors, shamelessly stolen from ask a manager.

I currently work as program manager for our teapot brand, part of the larger Teapot/Kettle/Boiler franchise. Our franchise is unique as there are three project managers for the different brands, mostly due to size/revenue. We share a lot of our duties to the franchise as a whole. Other franchises are solo managed.

I have been in my position for less than a year, and I'm finally getting my feet under me. I work really well with our Teapot brand team and my fellow project managers for kettles and boilers brands.

The project manager for Forks/Spoons franchise recently left their position. While our titles are the same and job duties are technically the same, you have to understand that the franchises are extremely idiosyncratic. I would have to learn a completely new set of data, familiarize myself with all the new projects, as well as understand the way of working for that franchise.

My boss (who supervises all the different managers but is not specifically the head of any particular franchise, think of us as hired mercenaries) has made it seem like he wants me to fill this spot.

I do not want to go for many reasons. My coworkers do not want me to go either. My boss's reasoning was that a new hire would have the other project managers from Kettles and Boilers to lean on and since I have nearly a year, I should be okay. But for me, this is like tossing out a year of onboarding AND I really like my franchise. It's why I took the job.

So now it's like I might be being forced to start over. However here is the

TLDR

My boss asked me to move projects and I said no. He said cool, I'll figure something out. This week, he came back and intimated I might not have a choice. From what I've heard from my coworkers, a forced move like this is unheard of. Another coworker suggested I leverage the second ask (since it seems my boss is desperate) for more money.

The thing is that while it's technically completely new work, it's still the same job title and manager. Has anyone been in a situation where they've successfully asked for more money due to shifting job duties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ask for more money and prepare to bounce. Either way, I'd be updating my resume.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm seeing a lot of application forms ask for desired pay as a mandatory field. What's the move here? Should I write down an honest number or just put $XXX,XXX or something?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

bltzn posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm seeing a lot of application forms ask for desired pay as a mandatory field. What's the move here? Should I write down an honest number or just put $XXX,XXX or something?

$0, Bob

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Ghostnuke posted:

Ask for more money and prepare to bounce. Either way, I'd be updating my resume.

Yeah, I know. I'm wicked overpaid for the amount of work I do and it wouldn't be the worst thing to work in this new position for a bit so there's not a crazy ASAP need to jump, but I'd definitely start looking if they forced it.

What kind of increase would be appropriate, 5%? If my raise when getting my current position was 10%?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As the thread likes to say, internal negotiation is basically begging. Just ask what the increase is and if they give you one then that's great, and if not then you get to be extra mad when you bounce.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You: "Happy to be so valuable to you. By the way, what increase in compensation can I expect with this new role?"

Boss: "Well it's the same role just on a different team so it would be the same salary of course."

You: (Dramatic one second pause)

You: "OK, understood. Thanks!" And smile and walk away without another word.

That's how you communicate "pay me now or I'm as good as gone" to an upper manager in a language they'll understand. And if you're actually crucial to them it'll make them piss themselves and call their boss as soon as you've left the room.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yeah. I was in this same situation except I actually wanted the lateral move. Tried to negotiate but just pissed off my shithead boss. I don’t think there’s a lot to work with in that situation.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bltzn posted:

N/A or 0. If they turn you down because of that, don’t worry, there’s no high paying job behind it. The only reason anybody asks that is because there’s a budget, not a budget decided based on the market, but a budget decided by the CEO arbitrarily, and it’s not flexible.

qhat fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 13, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Honestly the best thing you can have happen is for a company that wants a number first to sort you out because you said numbers later. Saves you all the trouble of interviewing just to learn that they want to pay you poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You: "Happy to be so valuable to you. By the way, what increase in compensation can I expect with this new role?"

Boss: "Well it's the same role just on a different team so it would be the same salary of course."

That's how you communicate "pay me now or I'm as good as gone" to an upper manager in a language they'll understand. And if you're actually crucial to them it'll make them piss themselves and call their boss as soon as you've left the room.

More or less how a discussion last week went when I inquired about a salary adjustment for inflation. Got a "ask in a few more months when you have updated industry salary data"

The very next day, received an offer for a 25% raise in base pay, with a 20% additional kicker if I can get a clearance

Trying not to psych myself out of asking for 10% more on top. If all goes well the sweetest part will be answering the phone after sending my notice

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is good, but I think given the circumstance you can politely say "In order to make this move I would require an adjustment to salary given the changing circumstance". The difference here is you are in the poo poo house if they say no, though it also makes it clear moving you means losing you. They are hoping you just suck it up and stay long enough to make it worth it.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I read it as "let's give the new guy the easier role that has more support and you can do the more challenging role with no support for the same remuneration"

I think the correct response is your own variation on "what's in it for me / sure, get out your wallet".

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Forcing you to do a job that you didn't sign on for is definitely getting into "gently caress you, pay me" territory IMO. Each to his own, but I'd be getting salty. This isn't the military, companies can take the voluntold stuff and shove it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, I'm smelling an opportunity.

I moved to a different team in a reorg at the beginning of the year and I'll be having my first mid-year review. TBH I haven't been super motivated since covid and the war, but it was enough to get good reviews and bonus multiplies as well as some stock grants. But not a raise a promotion (beside some 6%-7% CoL poo poo). So far this year I've done a lot of work that's been recognized by the boss, team lead, and peers, but that was on projects that unfortunately weren't a huge success due to outside factors (bad idea in the first place, IT cockblocking etc). Here's what makes me think it's time to negotiate something:
  • One guy quit
  • Another one is on a temporary contract that might not be renewed
  • Can't hire replacements
  • This leaves two FTEs on the team, but the boss and his boss have high hopes
So I'm thinking this might also be approaching a "gently caress you, pay me" situation since they really need to retain me at this point. Also I think I've been learning a lot new stuff to accomplish this, not to mention that inflation's been much higher than the CoL adjustment. Any tips for making the case without sounding like I'm giving an ultimatum?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Thread wisdom seems to be go in with as much concrete and documented as possible. This extends fully to having other concrete offers in hand. It can give you a good idea of market value, but also gives you an out if (and likely when) they start the timer on your job upon the ask and/or denial.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey guys, I'm smelling an opportunity.

I moved to a different team in a reorg at the beginning of the year and I'll be having my first mid-year review. TBH I haven't been super motivated since covid and the war, but it was enough to get good reviews and bonus multiplies as well as some stock grants. But not a raise a promotion (beside some 6%-7% CoL poo poo). So far this year I've done a lot of work that's been recognized by the boss, team lead, and peers, but that was on projects that unfortunately weren't a huge success due to outside factors (bad idea in the first place, IT cockblocking etc). Here's what makes me think it's time to negotiate something:
  • One guy quit
  • Another one is on a temporary contract that might not be renewed
  • Can't hire replacements
  • This leaves two FTEs on the team, but the boss and his boss have high hopes
So I'm thinking this might also be approaching a "gently caress you, pay me" situation since they really need to retain me at this point. Also I think I've been learning a lot new stuff to accomplish this, not to mention that inflation's been much higher than the CoL adjustment. Any tips for making the case without sounding like I'm giving an ultimatum?

What's your BATNA exactly?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mobby_6kl posted:

[*]Can't hire replacements
This requires an examination as to why they can't. Whatever the answer to that is will probably be why you get told no.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Long time reader, first time poster. Chalk up one more win for the thread. I just signed an offer that will give me a 76% bump in total comp for the first year. That’s mostly because the current job has been underpaying me, but I was still able to negotiate for more than I expected.

What helped me most was thoroughly understanding my BATNA, refusing to give a number first, and having the willingness to walk away from multiple opportunities if necessary. It really amazed me how much it changed conversations compared to the last time I did this, when I had no idea what I was doing. Thanks thread!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Adhemar posted:

Long time reader, first time poster. Chalk up one more win for the thread. I just signed an offer that will give me a 76% bump in total comp for the first year. That’s mostly because the current job has been underpaying me, but I was still able to negotiate for more than I expected.

What helped me most was thoroughly understanding my BATNA, refusing to give a number first, and having the willingness to walk away from multiple opportunities if necessary. It really amazed me how much it changed conversations compared to the last time I did this, when I had no idea what I was doing. Thanks thread!

:getin:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Nicely done my friend, just goes to show what can happen.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Haven’t heard anything about the background check yet - so I emailed my hiring manager.

quote:

Hi Pillow,

We had appreciated your honesty at the beginning noting your concerns about the background check and recruiter and I had connected and given the nature were not concerned of the findings that might arise due to the nature.

The team noted your concerns and is accelerating the check. The background checks come back quickly and given your start date is August 1 I think we are in good shape.

Please let us I know if there is anything else we can do to alleviate your concerns.

Thank you,
Pillowboss

Thoughts?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

relax?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Not a lot of time to relax if I’m giving two weeks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pillowpants posted:

why are you obsessed with the timing of the two weeks?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If your background check might fail, don't give notice until it is done. Two weeks is an arbitrary timespan in America and you're not obligated to give it. You can quit at 4:59pm on the 29th if you choose to.

"Not selling your labor anymore" is one of the few things workers in America actually have the right to do. Embrace your power and quit only when it works for you.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Pillowpants posted:

I once was cleared for a job 2 days before I was meant to start after I had given notice two weeks prior. Let me tell you, I wish I had held out until it was certain, the nerves of approaching my last day without the certainty of my new job starting was tooooooo much.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I guess not having to give any notice is the one and only advantage you guys have. I didn't think "I quit *walks out the door*" was an actual thing you could do, even in the US.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

I guess not having to give any notice is the one and only advantage you guys have. I didn't think "I quit *walks out the door*" was an actual thing you could do, even in the US.

We typically have at will employment. It goes both ways.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So, just for shits and giggles, what are the actual consequences of not giving notice? Are there any? Like, being ineligible for rehire? I don't think most will actually bad mouth you to avoid any legal jeopardy.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Magnetic North posted:

So, just for shits and giggles, what are the actual consequences of not giving notice? Are there any? Like, being ineligible for rehire? I don't think most will actually bad mouth you to avoid any legal jeopardy.

The admiration of your former peers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Magnetic North posted:

I think some employment contracts might have penalties if you don't give a certain amount of notice?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I would burn bridges with my boss, who I really like and become ineligible for rehire in a company I really like.

I’ve been looking because of the demotion for unknown reasons last year, but the people behind that are gone too.

Also, my boss is on vacation next week so I wanted to give notice before she left and not while she’s on vacation or after a

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Magnetic North posted:

As I think I noted earlier, they will gently caress you out of paying out any sick/vacation time you have banked (if they even do that in the first place). Might try to kick you in the shins on other stuff as well if they’re at all able.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think some employment contracts might have penalties if you don't give a certain amount of notice?

most people in the US are not on any kind of employment contract

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Nothing extremely tangible. If you quit without notice, your pay won't be processed that day. If they cut you without notice they're obligated to have your final pay at that time (which doesn't mean they always do..)

You'll keep a better relationship with your old boss if you help make transitions smooth. How much that matters varies quite a lot.

Making a scene about leaving is more likely to mark ineligible than just quietly walking out the door after turning in notice and equipment and such.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most people in the US are not on any kind of employment contract

I signed some piece of paper setting out the terms of my employment in all types of employment I had here in the US in the last ten years. That included as a TA, as a research assistant, and as an employee of at this point two tech companies. What makes those not employment contracts? Or am I unusual? I don't think I'm unusual for the purpose of jobs discussed in this thread, at least.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pillowpants, there are definitely real and substantial drawbacks to not giving notice, but in your specific situation I think the risk of your offer getting pulled at the 11th hour because some HR or Legal rear end in a top hat suddenly decides to spike you because of the bankruptcy/legal stuff is too substantial and you may just have to burn the bridge by resigning without notice.

Have you actually explained this to New Employer and said "hey, as a professional courtesy I would really like to give my current employer two weeks notice but obviously I don't want to do that until everything is finished and official with you, can we push back my start date to two weeks after that happens?"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

As I think I noted earlier, they will gently caress you out of paying out any sick/vacation time you have banked (if they even do that in the first place). Might try to kick you in the shins on other stuff as well if they’re at all able.

Well, they can’t do that in some states And if they take too long in other states you can get paid triple damages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I signed some piece of paper setting out the terms of my employment in all types of employment I had here in the US in the last ten years. That included as a TA, as a research assistant, and as an employee of at this point two tech companies. What makes those not employment contracts? Or am I unusual? I don't think I'm unusual for the purpose of jobs discussed in this thread, at least.
I think those are already the kinds of jobs where they don't think you are as easily replaceable as a McDonalds burger flipper, regardless of whether or not that's true.