Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

SirFozzie posted:

Oof. Topps and CGL step in on Everything Battletech, for once, I support the IP owners, because it seems the EvBtech folks were rather... um.. assholes (their discord was filled with altright bullshit), and they were selling access to everything battletech sections of the server without Catalyst/Topps permission

What's this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A bad but very popular Discord was asked to be less bad and to stop monetizing the Battletech IP so much. Instead the discord admin had a meltdown and declared everyone unworthy of his labors or something. This gathered entirely thirdhand.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've been accumulating minis to be able to field an entire RCT and I still can't imagine paying someone money to get access to a loving BattleTech discord

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

A bad but very popular Discord was asked to be less bad and to stop monetizing the Battletech IP so much. Instead the discord admin had a meltdown and declared everyone unworthy of his labors or something. This gathered entirely thirdhand.

lmao I didn't realize this was the Finding Out phase and the loving Around had already happened.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Disclaimer: I joined their server several months ago and like a ton of other Discords I'm in, I don't really use it, and didn't see how bad it was until now.

This is the Everything Battletech Discord as of this morning:

They're still selling a $50/month sub for access to locked channels, commissions for art & character portraits, and "ebt maps" which I can only assume are Battletech maps. I have no idea how many people are actually paying this dude $600 per year for the privilege of shitposting in a hidden Discord channel, but he's flagrantly using their IP to make money.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Lol well that's quite the chain of events.

So a thing that really made me laugh (outside of the concept of paying for a Battletech discord channel) is the hyping up of "access to artists for commission". Just funny to me, considering that every artist online has their own contact info listed everywhere for commissions on every possible website. literally the most pointless middle manning, but good grift I guess.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

Oof. Topps and CGL step in on Everything Battletech, for once, I support the IP owners, because it seems the EvBtech folks were rather... um.. assholes (their discord was filled with altright bullshit), and they were selling access to everything battletech sections of the server without Catalyst/Topps permission

When the whole "Tex and Arch" thing happened he basically kept to a policy of banning people who complained about Tex's association with an openly racist shithead and called anyone who complained about it a "racist"(???).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Among a certain strain of internet dumbass, acknowledging that racism exists is actually racism. I've seen this a bunch before.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Empire Alone is out. Always good to see the Wolves get the boots put to them, and also the MoC-CC alliance is splintering at the most interesting time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The latest Mechwarrior Living Legends patch added the Orion and the Binary Laser. Which brought up the excellent point that the existence of a Binary Laser implies all other lasers are, of course, as genderless technological constructs, nonbinary :thunk:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Timberwolf TC's up on the Catalyst store.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Timberwolf TC's up on the Catalyst store.

:respek: thanks dude

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I started playing Battletech back in 2nd edition. Dropped out when the clans kept wiping me out. Currently trying to finish a campaign of the Battletech HBS game.

Which board game do I need to buy these days to get a boxed set with a map, rules and more than 2 figures? It's really confusing and I'm at the point of spending the big bux and get a copy of 2nd ed from ebay instead because it has the cardboard figures of old.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You want "A Game of Armored Combat".

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Atlas Hugged posted:

You want "A Game of Armored Combat".

Thanks!

Ok, bought that, next question for my next pay day- what other boxes or rules follow on from that one and play at the same scale? Does the beginner's game come with anything the "A Game of Armored Combat" does not? Which game do I need for some campagin rules or rules for infantry/tanks/aerospace?

Also, are my old 2nd edition technical readouts still usable or are they completely out of date to the new rules?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 10, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Depending on exactly how old they are, some of them might need small adjustments. They no longer let you allocate armor in quarter tons. Other than that you are totally fine.

The core rule book is total warfare, there's also a book called campaign operations you can use for, well, campaign operations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Comstar posted:

Thanks!

Ok, bought that, next question for my next pay day- what other boxes or rules follow on from that one and play at the same scale? Does the beginner's game come with anything the "A Game of Armored Combat" does not? Which game do I need for some campagin rules or rules for infantry/tanks/aerospace?

Also, are my old 2nd edition technical readouts still usable or are they completely out of date to the new rules?

Everything in plastic from Catalyst currently on sale is the same scale. The Beginner Box was previously the only way to get a plastic Griffin mini, and will soon be the only way to get a plastic Vindicator mini, but it's otherwise not an expansion on any rules. The Clan Invasion box includes rules for Elementals. The only aerospace fighter currently in plastic is the Shilone, which should be out there to buy somewhere.

Full combined arms rules are in Total Warfare.

Record sheets for several variants and configs in the newer boxes are free at https://bg.battletech.com/downloads/. All of the units in your old TROs still exist and are valid but might have very small changes due to the weight of almost 40 years of corrections.

There's a kickstarter later this year that will include vehicles in plastic.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Empire Alone is out. Always good to see the Wolves get the boots put to them, and also the MoC-CC alliance is splintering at the most interesting time.

Since we've sort of been told the Il-Clan era will last for a bit I guess it is too much to ask that the wolves get the full boot, but rather, just medium-style?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Game writers should be banned from using the word wolf, or referencing it in any way.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
But I love the HawkWolf

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The HawkWolf should have been the last mech they ever released to have Hawk or Wolf in its name.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Flipswitch posted:

Game writers should be banned from using the word wolf, or referencing it in any way.

Counterpoint:

We need a Wolf box set.

- reposed Timberwolf D (should be pretty doable with the TC torso and Hellbringer arms)
- Mad Cat Mk. II
- Mad Cat Mk. III
- Mad Cat Mk. IV Savage Wolf
- Mad Cat Mk. II Mk. II Alpha Wolf

All in one box. I'd probably buy at least three.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would do questionably legal things for an official plastic Mad Cat Mk II, and I would do them twice if it looked like the one from MW4 Mercs

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finally played my first tabletop game yesterday after playing the video games since I was 12 (Mechwarrior 2). Safe to say I'm hooked. Which is good since I've idly bought the minis to collect and thinking "I'll play someday".

I'm looking around for mats since I'd like to use something other than the paper ones that come in the box, and I'm not finding much. But I did find an overlay, anyone have experience with them? I'm thinking that and then 3D printing some hexes for hills/trees/buildings/whatever.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Steel Warrior Studios makes neoprene gaming mats that have hex overlays printed on them. If you were looking for something on the more expensive but very nice end of the scale. Not sure what you’d do for elevation, but I loved neoprene mats for Warhammer and Warmahordes, so I had bookmarked those when I started buying Battletech minis.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

CGL also makes neoprene mats with hexes. They’re basically the same stuff as on the paper mats, but double sized and on neoprene.

https://www.fortressminiaturesandgames.com/collections/maps

Look for “BattleMats”.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

koreban posted:

Steel Warrior Studios makes neoprene gaming mats that have hex overlays printed on them. If you were looking for something on the more expensive but very nice end of the scale. Not sure what you’d do for elevation, but I loved neoprene mats for Warhammer and Warmahordes, so I had bookmarked those when I started buying Battletech minis.

I did come across those, but $90 for a mat is a hard pill to swallow. I already have a few mats without hexes that I've used for Warhammer and Warmahordes, so I was wondering If the overlay would be worth it. My main concern is if it would look super shiny and gross.

For elevation and other terrain I was just planning on having my 3D printer go nuts for the next few weeks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Here's another goofy, low-fidelity mech from the 25th Anniversary Box. I sprayed this with black gloss primer ages ago and left it in the box and recently decided to try and do something with it. I'm not sure the results are award winning, but it will look fine on the hexmap.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hell yeah!

I got some minis from the sale at IWM, primed my lootbox Hellbringer to paint this weekend. Trying to find the sweet spot of painting in a tight space and I might have something workable

edit: gonna have a go with these for a scheme...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 15, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Atlas Hugged posted:

Here's another goofy, low-fidelity mech from the 25th Anniversary Box. I sprayed this with black gloss primer ages ago and left it in the box and recently decided to try and do something with it. I'm not sure the results are award winning, but it will look fine on the hexmap.

Love the dumper on this clown shoes sculpt.

I have one too, but I went so far as putting a base coat on it before rethinking my life. I love the old single inject molds, but damned if they’re not silly looking sometimes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Love the dumper on this clown shoes sculpt.

I have one too, but I went so far as putting a base coat on it before rethinking my life. I love the old single inject molds, but damned if they’re not silly looking sometimes.

Not sure I am familiar with "dumper" in this context, but I'll assume it's a compliment and say thank you.

They are indeed silly. I am glad they existed because at the time it meant I had a whole box of mechs to mess around with, which was really cool. Plus now I can experiment with different approaches to painting them since worst case they look exactly as bad as they did before I painted them and best case maybe I find a way to make painting a particular sculpt work. I think I have a Zeus still that I haven't gotten to and that should be chunky enough to pull off something decent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not sure I am familiar with "dumper" in this context, but I'll assume it's a compliment and say thank you.

They are indeed silly. I am glad they existed because at the time it meant I had a whole box of mechs to mess around with, which was really cool. Plus now I can experiment with different approaches to painting them since worst case they look exactly as bad as they did before I painted them and best case maybe I find a way to make painting a particular sculpt work. I think I have a Zeus still that I haven't gotten to and that should be chunky enough to pull off something decent.

The big ole booty. A righteous dumper.

An rear end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well there it is. Yes. He does have a lovingly painted dumper.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wrong thread. How'd I manage that?

Always nice to see painted 'Mechs, regardless of the mold quality.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, as I'm dealing with COVID-19, I managed to get some downtime to read Shrapnel #9.

How did Clan Fire Mandrill survive so long? Honestly, I'm shocked that between the fact that the various Kindraa were such assholes to each other (in the story in Shrapnel #9, one Kindraa basically cheats the whole Clan System to win a trial for elemental breeding programs, and uses it to nearly destroy another Kindraa, as they take the blame for Cheating), they basically bent, folded, spindled and mutilated Clan customs to get win multiple major trials. "Oh, those Solahma trinaries? They were actually double strength twenty five year old "Solahma". My bad."

Now, the Kindraa in question later gets righteously destroyed by the Clans they cheated (with the final escape being blocked by the Kindraa they set up as a patsy), but I can't understand how the whole clan didn't get written off as unsalvageable, ala widowmaker (and later Burrock) long before they did.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The same reason the Ice Hellions didn't get wiped out.

Everyone else loved punching them too much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please don't disparage my boys. My beautiful ice blue boys :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think there was also a time where nobody thought they were supposed to be doing any absorbing, like it was something really momentous and should only be done sparingly.

Then the Star Adders ate the Burrocks and instantly became the kingpin of the Homeworlds so they all started doing it.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please don't disparage my boys. My beautiful ice blue boys :(

What are you gonna do, throw another Hellion Tantrum? ;)

(no seriously, at least they got kinda redeemed in the Operation Ice Storm two for story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SirFozzie posted:

What are you gonna do, throw another Hellion Tantrum? ;)

(no seriously, at least they got kinda redeemed in the Operation Ice Storm two for story)

I will create a fanfic where descendants survived all the way through Escorpio Imperio and joined a cold-themed mercenary unit leaving calling cards for bloodnames that participated in the eradication of their clan.