Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

rujasu posted:

OK here's my question:

Did anyone else not realize until just now that it's called the RKO because Randy Orton's middle initial is K?

I assumed it was just a play on KO aka knock out or Randy Knock Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

rujasu posted:

OK here's my question:

Did anyone else not realize until just now that it's called the RKO because Randy Orton's middle initial is K?

I assumed it was a portmanteau of TKO (the Marc Mero move) and RKO (Randy Orton's full name) that just landed as RKO.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's Randy's initials. It also sounds like TKO but personalised for Randy. It's also the name of the film company from the 40s.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
i thought he was an avid connoisseur of classic cinema. this is troubling

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are some facts about wrestling in 2022 that would have shocked you if you were to have heard them in 2003/2004/2005?

AJ Styles will sign with WWE and not only will he not be regimmicked as a total loser and jobbed out as "punishment" for being a TNA guy, he will go on to have a decent WWE title reign and be Undertaker's final WrestleMania match.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
someone finally makes a competitor that's popular and actually treated as a legit rival

vince finally gets something approaching a comeuppance

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

flatluigi posted:

You're being very optimistic here

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It is odd to me how I've seen people talk about "predicting" AEW. Like, I think it was the consensus around here for years that the only thing that could compete with WWE would be a billionaire money mark (who could actually run a live entertainment company). It's just that no one thought it would happen.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

flatluigi posted:

someone finally makes a competitor that's popular and actually treated as a legit rival

If this actually happens it would have been less surprising in 2005 than by 2022 "no laws, no consequences" (for rich men) standards

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It is odd to me how I've seen people talk about "predicting" AEW. Like, I think it was the consensus around here for years that the only thing that could compete with WWE would be a billionaire money mark (who could actually run a live entertainment company). It's just that no one thought it would happen.

I mean the stars pretty much aligned with Tony Khan. I mean think about it.

He's a super rich guy, who probably played a bunch of TEW, who as of yet only vices appear to be cocaine and posting online, with what appears to be some experience in management outside of carny business.

Unless there's a bunch of rich dudes like TK around something like AEW appearing was never gonna be a certainty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Muraco was actually good

Unironically somebody should bring back 'guy eats a sandwich while squashing a jobber' back.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bull Dempsey probably isn’t busy right now

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Dawgstar posted:

Unironically somebody should bring back 'guy eats a sandwich while squashing a jobber' back.

they're already halfway there with Butcher and his pork chop

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Rich Guy chat, did Ted Turner's wealth really never recover enough after the AOL merger to take another whack at it? I know logically he could have soured on the whole thing by that point, but everyone knows people who want to throw money at wrestling are always at least a little insane

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Rich Guy chat, did Ted Turner's wealth really never recover enough after the AOL merger to take another whack at it? I know logically he could have soured on the whole thing by that point, but everyone knows people who want to throw money at wrestling are always at least a little insane

Ted Turner was always very rich but he had a no compete clause for several years after the WWE sale. When the no compete ended he talked to people who advised them he would expect to lose 100 million just to get a wrestling company off the ground and knew it wasn't worth it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's a rumor going around that turner is responsible for getting tony in the door to negotiate for "Jane" when they wouldn't even talk to him previously, so potentially thank/blame him for OC's switch over

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was just doing a bit of tech support with a dad and his kid trying to log onto our learning platform using AOL Explorer. I'm still reeling about it and now this comes up. This is the most I've thought about AOL in 20+ years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MassRafTer posted:

Ted Turner was always very rich but he had a no compete clause for several years after the WWE sale. When the no compete ended he talked to people who advised them he would expect to lose 100 million just to get a wrestling company off the ground and knew it wasn't worth it.

Cavauro posted:

there's a rumor going around that turner is responsible for getting tony in the door to negotiate for "Jane" when they wouldn't even talk to him previously, so potentially thank/blame him for OC's switch over
Well this one-two punch put Emperor Turner and Darth Khan into my head so I cannot thank you enough for this new visualization I have of how things are behind the scenes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barry Bluejeans posted:

You beat me to it. I really want to see that

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Jay Lyon, who's appeared on Dark several times, wrestles with a steak in his mouth. I think it's part of his mask.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What's the origin of the TK cocaine deal? I mean, dude's ovs a spazz and all, but wasn't sure if there was some specific incident or something.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s every incident

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He is just a rich guy who has constant overtired toddler energy who apparently doesn’t sleep because he’s up all night booking angles and tweeting.

This is very cocainey behaviour.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

EdsTeioh posted:

What's the origin of the TK cocaine deal? I mean, dude's ovs a spazz and all, but wasn't sure if there was some specific incident or something.

History Comes Inside! posted:

He is just a rich guy who has constant overtired toddler energy who apparently doesn’t sleep because he’s up all night booking angles and tweeting.

This is very cocaine-y behavior.

Cocaine, or Adderall. Sometimes he seems like he might be on one, sometimes the other.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Energy = Cocaine. simple as that. If you stay up late? That's cocaine. IF your rich...better believe you're doing Cocaine (this part is actually true). When Tony agents a match, he makes sure to tell everyone their Key Bumps. lol. They won't sniff the top of the card, or Blow up big, unless they're partaking with the man himself. Just rumors.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

excellent fleetwood mac ref

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's probably some combo of study drugs. He's got billionaire level pharmacist access. Why risk coke?

But people's shorthand for this guy seems to be unnaturally excitable and energetic is cocaine. (Although he's on record as saying his days partying in L.A. with entertainment types were crucial to the later tv deal)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cocaine Tony is also one of those nicknames that just really rolls off the tongue

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I think it was the Impact promos that he went overboard on, and they were brilliant

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What is the longest name for a wrestling maneuver?

What is the wrestling maneuver with the most amount of modifiers? For example, avalanche, exploding, reverse, inverted, gutwrench etc etc etc.

Also, what are the mechanics behind these suffixes/prefixes? What is the damage modifier or save penalty for each?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

What is the wrestling maneuver with the most amount of modifiers? For example, avalanche, exploding, reverse, inverted, gutwrench etc etc etc.

Also, what are the mechanics behind these suffixes/prefixes? What is the damage modifier or save penalty for each?

probably one of ZSJ's finishers that's a full run on sentence

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Just watched the dark side of the ring for the plane ride from hell. Tommy Dreamer....yikes. Way to gutter ball in the worst way.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

My vote is for ZSJ's Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

check out some of the rock promos where he's on cocaine. you can tell because it says the rock "did" concaine in the youtube title.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Unperson_47 posted:

?

Almost definitely the suplex

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Edge & Christian posted:

The Most 1990s thing about Vertebreaker is that the character "Vertebreaker" never even appeared in a Spawn comic, to my knowledge.

1. Todd McFarlane created a super evil badass extreme demon named THE VIOLATOR in the second issue of Spawn.
2. In a weird flex that eventually led to a bunch of lawsuits he paid six figures to Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim, and Frank Miller to all write single issues of Spawn to prove "Image has the best writers AND artists".
3. Alan Moore in his single issue decides that Violator should have demon brothers named Vindicator, Vandalizer, Vaporizer, and Vacillator. This is maybe a parody of Sandman?
4. This concept somehow spins off into multiple mini-series that Alan Moore also writes, which become increasingly slapstick.
5. Todd McFarlane Toys decides making 'new' version of Violator is a good idea, but something more badass and serious than Alan Moore's stuff. Also possibly to avoid lawsuit, they create VERTEBREAKER as an even more extreme monstery Violator.
6. Vertebreaker never appears in the comics.
7. Shane Helms sees a Spawn toy and goes "yes, that is the name of my finisher".

I love that Vindicator, Vandalizer, Vaporizer, and Vacillator all got featured in the Arcade/Dreamcast game Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I love it too. second most of us all

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

duckdealer posted:

My vote is for ZSJ's Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Halloween Jack posted:

The only thing that can stop a bad billionaire with a wrestling company, is a good billionaire with a wrestling company.

This is a joke. There’s no such thing as a good billionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

duckdealer posted:

Also a very good EP.