Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cat Hatter posted:

No, but I do watch stealing the enterprise sometimes.

Honestly, Star Trek III has a lot of amazing moments that belong in a less mediocre movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i believe kc green should be legally allowed to murder anyone who claims ownership of one of these nfts.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Didn't see this posted, but at a game conference sponsored by crypto CHUDs, a dev swapped out his presentation for a "why NFTs are bad, actually" mid-stream to a round of applause from the audience. There's a video in the link of the moment he does it. (In Portugese, but the clapping is the universal language of "gently caress NFTs" so still lands.)

https://kotaku.com/nft-blockchain-crypto-scam-brazil-video-games-1849166901

The slides accompanying the presentation, translated into English:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1a8dMxaqyjWl4G6NO7mXF30CICHOJLkJxuP2Xrpky9rA/edit#slide=id.g34d3eed41a_0_45

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly, Star Trek III has a lot of amazing moments that belong in a less mediocre movie.

Star Trek 2-3-4 is best enjoyed back to back and treated like a fourth TOS season; makes search for spock's shortcomings feel more like a mild midseason slump

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

Star Trek 2-3-4 is best enjoyed back to back and treated like a fourth TOS season; makes search for spock's shortcomings feel more like a mild midseason slump

OK but 2-3-6 instead

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

rydiafan posted:

OK but 2-3-6 instead

What kind of monster skips Voyage Home?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I like Voyage Home, but if we are only watching 3 movies I like 6 instead of 4 because it gives Kirk an arc with his son (discover, lose, overcome hatred of Klingons caused by the loss) while maintaining Spock's character growth through his interactions with Valeris.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Just lol'd remembering the guy who petitioned his city government to excavate a landfill to try and find a hard drive he threw out that had crypto on it

If I remember right that hard drive was worth like $300 million dollars at one point and a company was willing to spend tens of millions to try and recover it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/chump_dick/status/1547266842196119552?s=21&t=qql30mC9ADSTv13NYAHcxw

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dabir posted:

What the hell is the story with the Brave browser's crypto thing?

https://www.howtogeek.com/778067/how-to-purge-crypto-from-the-brave-browser

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aren’t the Brave guys libertarian weirdos or something? Probably better to just avoid it altogether.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

priznat posted:

Aren’t the Brave guys libertarian weirdos or something? Probably better to just avoid it altogether.

If you thought the people coming in to help crypto losers wasn't also a scammer trying to scam them...well they are.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

It was founded by the former CEO of Mozilla, who became the former CEO after it came to light that he was donating to anti-gay-marriage causes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not touching it, I was just talking to someone who was defending it earlier and I'd like to know where the crime is and how it works.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
"What does God need with a NFT?"

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

Honestly I like all the TOS movies, but I only like V in the sense that it's amazing to make fun of. Every part of it is such a profound miscalculation that it becomes amazing.

I also love TMP as its own weird offshoot, ten-minute starship-ogling warts and all.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly I like all the TOS movies, but I only like V in the sense that it's amazing to make fun of. Every part of it is such a profound miscalculation that it becomes amazing.

I also love TMP as its own weird offshoot, ten-minute starship-ogling warts and all.

120+ takes to get Scotty to hit his head on a pipe in the correct manner.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Plan R posted:

120+ takes to get Scotty to hit his head on a pipe in the correct manner.

Test footage in the final cut because they ran out of loving money.

The scene with the rocket boots and the improbably tall maintenance shaft with repeating deck numbers like a loving Tom & Jerry cartoon.

The world's most obvious greenscreen on Kirk falling off the mountain.

It's all so incredibly bad and amazing.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

"What does God need with a NFT?"

Quiet, William Shatner will hear you and get ideas.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I think maybe that's a bad idea given transaction delays and gas fees, and also given how much of the sales to boost it above 20k are likely just wash trading

Don't you also have to report all your sales of cryptocurrency on your taxes? Given the very real risk of bitchcoin taking a sudden nosedive, the exchange you are using suddenly shuttering or freezing withdrawals, the difficulty of actually getting your funny money out of ecosystem and turning it into real dollars, and the various overhead involved in both the purchase and sale of cryptocurrency, you probably would need much bigger swings than just "buy below $20,000, sell above $20,000" to make it profitable--at least to an extent that would make it worth the effort.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dabir posted:

I'm not touching it, I was just talking to someone who was defending it earlier and I'd like to know where the crime is and how it works.

They take crypto donations on behalf of website owners / content creators, regardless of whether said content creators are actually going to receive said crypto. For the creators, they have to either sign up with the program to get paid, or actively contact Brave to opt out of the system -- the default is Brave "collects" it "on their behalf" which is kinda stealing from people.

The above ^^^ may all be past tense though, they got a lot of pushback and may have stopped doing it.

Meanwhile they also have a built-in adblocker, which is fine, but have sometimes replaced affiliate links with their own, which is pretty poo poo. And if you opt in to their marble economy thing you get replacement ads that brave makes money from, which IMO is super poo poo. There's a justification for adblocking but it isn't "I should be getting paid and creators should not".

But none of the above are full-on crimes, just shady crypto grift. Braves's grift so far has been to use their semi-respectable names to extract investment money from VC. When the VC money dries up is when I would be very nervous about using Brave.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
B as in "barricade."

or "Bitcoin."

How could somebody even buy in at this point?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Pretty sure Roddenberry officially said V isn’t canon

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Pretty sure Roddenberry officially said V isn’t canon

Good cause it’s a totally different show

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh look, the thinnest-skinned douchebag in gaming is getting into NFTs: https://www.thegamer.com/dr-disrespect-nft-game-players-vote-development/

Dr. Disrespect expects to make a game where his community (which you have to own an NFT to be a part of) votes on the game design, and they'll put out vertical slices to play every six weeks.

And, of course, he gets testy when the viability of that is questioned:

https://twitter.com/DrDisrespect/status/1546351609403232257

Oh, but that's just his "character" I'm sure.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
He’s the perfect nft bro

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

priznat posted:

Vivaldi crew reppin. Everyone should give it a go.

Ups_rail posted:

so there is no way for me to short BTC?

come on I m bored
Tesla puts, way safer. There is no way Elon's soon-to-be-disaster-of-a-trial with Twitter is going to boost Tesla's worth.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

an iksar marauder posted:

He’s the perfect nft bro

The NFT marketplace is flooded with people with kid nudity scandals

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, but that's just his "character" I'm sure.
He had a successful career in game development prior to becoming a streamer. Admittedly, only as a level designer.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/clairearan/status/1546503355060686851?s=21&t=2DsxfDpTwmAWcjYbiVR8AQ

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Celcius throws in the towel and finally declares bankruptcy

https://twitter.com/ben_mckenzie/status/1547363136059183111

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Khorne posted:

Admittedly, only as a level designer.

Beat me to it. I've seen his level designing streams and I wasn't impressed. Dude loves three lane killhouses.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And somehow number went up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I enjoy watching the occasional game streamer but can’t for the life of me understand dr disrespect’s popularity. He just is constantly screaming and swearing like a 13 year old and ohhhh ok now I know why.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This can be mitigated by only letting people on vote things you're considering doing to begin with. That's the entire grift of voting with NFTs in this context. There's no point to the NFT portion other than circumventing securities laws or avoiding something "lame" like "founder game accounts can vote on the future of the game in threads/polls on forums" which is something digital extremes did with warframe a decade ago without nfts.

This is also for a pvp multiplayer game. Presumably, 6 week "vertical slices" will frequently have not all that many changes. If they put something to vote that takes 5 minutes to change it will have that change and people can vote again.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 14, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Streamers entertain children and stunted adult nerds

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It takes time to make stable builds.

Most of the people backing won’t be in game development because they’re smart enough not to do volunteer QA. So will they get mad that they either get three weeks progress every six weeks that’s stable, or will they be happy to get five weeks worth that may be sort of doesn’t crash every time?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PotatoJudge posted:

Celcius throws in the towel and finally declares bankruptcy

https://twitter.com/ben_mckenzie/status/1547363136059183111

congratulations to fahrenheit

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we never did find out why dr disrespect ate a twitch perma did we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

CharlestheHammer posted:

And somehow number went up

Somebody bought the dip like ten minutes ago and boy, are they gonna get it!