Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

plausible; I've seen semi-credible claims that not every thread in ADTRW is that bad, while there has never been such a defense of d&d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

why don't they just tell everyone to go pee in the lake

I've run the simulations*, and it doesn't work well.

*hundreds of hours in oxygen not included

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irony.or.Death posted:

plausible; I've seen semi-credible claims that not every thread in ADTRW is that bad, while there has never been such a defense of d&d

lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fly Molo posted:

is the water normally that green?

first u all complain that theres not enough water now u complain that its too green

theres just no pleasing yall

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

blatman posted:

first u all complain that theres not enough water now u complain that its too green

theres just no pleasing yall

all the water everywhere will eventually turn green, either from algal blooms or from the olivine some startup will get paid a trillion dollars to dump along every beach in America

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Irony.or.Death posted:

it's true

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

That bottom line looks like someone drew it with a black sharpie.....
:trumppop:

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Jul 13, 2022

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
whoiaoh.... i cant believe the cringe in the water

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
At what point are they going to start coal liquefaction in earnest? 200 $/barrel?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is Disney watering a desert with the intent to turn it into a lagoon while they build a gated community around it.

Would you like to see a pamphlet of what they're building? https://www.wdw-magazine.com/storyliving-by-disney-the-new-way-to-experience-disney-magic-at-home/
a child has already been born who will be gunned down by disney security services for
illegally seeking shelter inside a private mickey mouse community

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That bottom line looks like someone drew it with a black sharpie.....
:trumppop:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

ArfJason posted:

whoiaoh.... i cant believe the cringe in the water

criiiiinge in the water
more copin in the sky

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

seriously, you're making ADTRW sound like it's as bad as D&D in terms of horrible toxic ideas

Probably worse since I feel like "good faith" is a more valid rhetorical shield than "but muh jibblies are Film"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

mark immune posted:

criiiiinge in the water
more copin in the sky

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1547287582450794496

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is Disney watering a desert with the intent to turn it into a lagoon while they build a gated community around it.

Would you like to see a pamphlet of what they're building? https://www.wdw-magazine.com/storyliving-by-disney-the-new-way-to-experience-disney-magic-at-home/
i love this so much. so many people are going to die or (best case scenario) be financially ruined

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

cringe in the water

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Jul 14, 2022

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

arfjason was right

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dustcat posted:

arfjason was right

he was.

quote:

aids

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

bravo. my only lol of the day.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

i feel like the push against doomerism is less because of "apathy" or "do nothingisms" but rather that upon the realization of the scope and inevitablity of the problem, the solutions to that problem are really quite scary. Like alright you've got a large group of people in some country that is doing some biosphere related policies that might actually solve human extinction, that group is going to have to seize power and force the rest of that country to adopt those policies. Then, because this is a very global problem involving international entities that will just leave your country, you're going to have to somehow seize power and force the entire world to adopt biosphere sustainable policies, that's world domination by any means necessary poo poo, the alternative being billions and all future humans dead, but either way its a terrifying thought for the vast majority of lib minded people. There is already no such thing as "freedom" as described by these people, but any biosphere saving movement is going to have to take even the small illusions of freedom we have away from the entire world. And as soon as you start talking about how the solutions to the problem have to be as big, if not bigger than the problem itself, you're moving into ecofascism territory pretty quick man

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think people just can't accept the idea that the poo poo is already happening and any agency we thought we had to do even the slightest thing about it was just completely nonexistent.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

speak for yourself, my carbon footprint is smaller than ever. I’ve also greatly reduced my usage of plastics. the world will be saved soon

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Post your carbon foot pics

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pissinthewind posted:

i feel like the push against doomerism is less because of "apathy" or "do nothingisms" but rather that upon the realization of the scope and inevitablity of the problem, the solutions to that problem are really quite scary. Like alright you've got a large group of people in some country that is doing some biosphere related policies that might actually solve human extinction, that group is going to have to seize power and force the rest of that country to adopt those policies. Then, because this is a very global problem involving international entities that will just leave your country, you're going to have to somehow seize power and force the entire world to adopt biosphere sustainable policies, that's world domination by any means necessary poo poo, the alternative being billions and all future humans dead, but either way its a terrifying thought for the vast majority of lib minded people. There is already no such thing as "freedom" as described by these people, but any biosphere saving movement is going to have to take even the small illusions of freedom we have away from the entire world. And as soon as you start talking about how the solutions to the problem have to be as big, if not bigger than the problem itself, you're moving into ecofascism territory pretty quick man

liberals have never been able to handle the truth, that’s why they’re liberals op.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I think people just can't accept the idea that the poo poo is already happening and any agency we thought we had to do even the slightest thing about it was just completely nonexistent.

:hmmyes:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

those fat fishies were cute even though they were being fed cheese popcorn

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rauros posted:

those fat fishies were cute even though they were being fed cheese popcorn

even our fish have diabetes

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pissinthewind posted:

that's right, though I think the attitude is less rooted in cowardice than a kind of anticipatory helplessness, and so is fatalistic doomerism itself. behavior, like all things, is material, and so are the minds that cause behavior. these minds are produced by their economic system in order to reproduce that system, and like any organism adapted for a particular niche, they are exquisitely context sensitive to that niche. that's why both anti-doomers and fatalist doomers are almost invariably middle class or otherwise wholly immersed in Capital: computer touchers, scientists, managers, people whose entire existences revolve around and whose minds have been carefully evolved to push buttons in the cybernetic-ideological machinery they comprise. both anti-doomers and fatalistic doomers have in common that they've been trained wrong as a joke and will not fit in any niche that is likely to exist in the future, and, as minds are wont to do, generalize their own helpless situations to all minds. despite rather pathetic protestations to the contrary, their attitudes reflect not so much any objective facts that humanity is or isn't actually doomed, but the objective fact that they personally are doomed, that even if they can survive as an organism, to survive would entail becoming an entirely different mind, nothing like who they are now; to become entirely new persons, which is effectively dying. if the problem is simply too vast for humanity, or death is certain, anyway, their reasoning goes, we may as well lean back and enjoy the treats we have, or become that useless piece of poo poo who's too demoralized to do anything but then explains to everyone else it's because they're smarter and better and everyone else is wasting their time.

unfortunately for them, there is no escape from the struggle and suffering inherent to life. so get in losers, we're gonna catch the falling knife. :3:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zodium posted:

unfortunately for them, there is no escape from the struggle and suffering inherent to life. so get in losers, we're gonna catch the falling knife. :3:

that implies a messy recovery of some kind. i think we’re just gonna keep riding this rollercoaster down until the food riots start in earnest

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

that implies a messy recovery of some kind. i think we’re just gonna keep riding this rollercoaster down until the food riots start in earnest

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doggy style it is then

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:nsa:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

doggy style it is then

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Petróleos Mexicanos discovered the cause of the dinosaurs' extinction in the 60s, and kept it secret for over a decade in case it had relevance to oil extraction. Imagine how quickly they started the coverup when they realized that their business model would be the cause of human extinction.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oh my god. are they chemicals, yes or no. it's not hard

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Weed Killer Glyphosate Found in Most Americans' Urine

quote:

More than 80% of Americans have a widely used herbicide lurking in their urine, a new government study suggests. The chemical, known as glyphosate, is “probably carcinogenic to humans,” the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer has said.

Traces of the herbicide have previously been found in kids' cereals, baby formula, organic beer and wine, hummus and chickpeas.

German pharmaceutical company Bayer purchased the Roundup brand when it bought the agrochemical company Monsanto in 2018, CBS News reported.

In 2020, the EPA determined that the chemical was not a serious health risk and “not likely” to cause cancer in humans. However, a federal appeals court ordered the EPA to reexamine those findings last month, CBS News reported.

The U.S. Supreme Court last month rejected Bayer’s bid to shut down ongoing lawsuits over whether the herbicide causes cancer. The justices also let a $25 million judgment on behalf of a California man stand. In that case, the plaintiff said he developed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma from decades of using Roundup on his property, CBS News reported.

So far, Bayer has won four cases in state courts where plaintiffs alleged that Roundup caused their cancer, CBS News said.

The company continues to assert that the herbicide is safe, but plans to replace it in Roundup intended for residential use beginning next year. The chemical will still be included in products meant for professional and farm use.
probably carcinogenic to humans, but then again if it’s in urine I guess that means it’s not hanging around in the body? not that bad, yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TACD posted:

Weed Killer Glyphosate Found in Most Americans' Urine

probably carcinogenic to humans, but then again if it’s in urine I guess that means it’s not hanging around in the body? not that bad, yet

need I remind you that pee is stored in the balls