Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The fan vote going to Firestar is absolutely insane both in-universe and out of it. Who the gently caress is out here voting for this cop?? Emma killed her horse and she refused Krakoan citizenship and that's like every interaction she's had with mutants. Story wise it's kinda perfect to have her on there with Havok and Forge, but it does make me wonder if the vote was just rigged because how does a D-list Avengers/Spidey character win an X-Men vote.

X-Men team spoilers:

I think you're underestimating Firestar's popularity. New Warriors was huge in the 90's and she and Nova were probably the two biggest fan favorites from that team. For a long time people have wanted to see her interact with the X-Men because of her history and the fact she is a mutant. There are a lot of interesting things you can do with her on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
she was on the team in Amazing X-Men wasn't she? the one that started with Nightcrawler coming back.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Duggan, pitching in the x-office: ok so this is a bit of a retcon but what if Butterrum was a mutant horse? The Five could resurrect them right? So after that, Emma shows up and...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That team lineup from the leak is weird. All blasters, no brick. It's an anti-aircraft battery posing as a superhero team.

The part of my nerd brain that talks about team synergy is mildly peeved.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Every single issue ends with Emma murdering another of Firestar's beloved animal pets/friends/acquaintances

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wanderer posted:

That team lineup from the leak is weird. All blasters, no brick. It's an anti-aircraft battery posing as a superhero team.

The part of my nerd brain that talks about team synergy is mildly peeved.

Considering that previously the team had two power mimics and the book was still fun, I'm sure Duggan can find a way to make it work. Iceman could very well fill in that role, or maybe Magik. She's seemingly losing her sword and giving Limbo over to Maddie, and the first issue of that New Mutants arc was highlighting that she could fight Dani and Rahne hand to hand without powers. So unless that's a big fakeout she might pivot into a punchy role?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
According to other portions of the spoiler, Firestar may be tempted to be a mole for the Avengers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you're posting spoilers from stuff that isn't out yet, please tag it as such. I think the leak is widespread enough at this point that it's more or less fair-game but just give a brief head's up for anyone who is holding out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

According to other portions of the spoiler, Firestar may be tempted to be a mole for the Avengers.

That's good but honestly if anyone was gonna be a mole for the Avengers, my money would have been on Wolverine. He's both cynical enough to not believe Krakoa's gonna last forever and he has a bunch of Avenger friends (and non-friends he tolerates :v:)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

That's good but honestly if anyone was gonna be a mole for the Avengers, my money would have been on Wolverine. He's both cynical enough to not believe Krakoa's gonna last forever and he has a bunch of Avenger friends (and non-friends he tolerates :v:)

there's no way in hell Wolverine would betray the X-Men to the Avengers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean there was that time that he...literally...did that...but okay fine we don't talk about AvX :shobon:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wolverine snitching to the Avengers was at the peak of the "Wolverine VS Cyclops" dynamic. If Rogue had been leading the X-Men at the time, it probably would not have happened. Also he kind of ended up being right, because the Phoenix only ended up repowering mutantkind on account of the team up between Wanda and Hope, which wouldn't have happened if the Avengers got involved, but then again maybe Scott chessmastered that into happening, who knows.

What I don't get about the Hellfire Gala spoilers is, how did Angelica get onto the squad when she's spent her entire life away from mutant social circles? Did people think they were voting for that green eyed DC comics alien???

Also, excluding Scott and Jean who know everything because Jean is Jean, and she's not gonna keep secrets from Scott without a drat good reason, are the rest of the X-Men really aware of a lot of Krakoa's bigger secrets? I would think their independent status would mean stuff like Moira's true nature is on a need-to-know basis

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The answer in and out of universe is obvious imo, people want to see Spiderman show up in X-Men

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
On Unlimited …New Mutants 24 really had the tears going.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Stupid sexy Beast.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
No wonder Jean fell for him in X-Men Forever!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Firestar is in the big crowd shot in X-Force when Xavier comes back. I only noticed her because of this conversation though.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 12, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
New team spoilers: Firestar was also in Jason Aaron's Amazing X-Men for a year or so. She also popped up in the Marvel Unlimited Iceman story as kind of popping in and out of Krakoa without committing one way or the other.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Eddie Izzard would make a great catty Mr. Sinister.

John Michael Higgins rechanneling his Mentok the Mindtaker would be a fantastic Sinister.

Edit: If those spoilers are true, that just says to me that the entire poll was just for show. Firestar doesn't make much sense unless the author wanted to use that person from the get go. I would have expected Hisako or Gorgon to have been in the lead/won.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 12, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

iirc they put out daily percent increase updates for the fan vote. Near the end of it, Monet solidly held it until the last 3 days or so where Firestar kept getting huge bumps until she was solidly at the top. The leak about her being a mole makes way too much sense and it's a fun, instant hook whereas Polaris was just kinda there? Which makes me think it was probably rigged but also who cares

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Jiro posted:

John Michael Higgins rechanneling his Mentok the Mindtaker would be a fantastic Sinister.

Edit: If those spoilers are true, that just says to me that the entire poll was just for show. Firestar doesn't make much sense unless the author wanted to use that person from the get go. I would have expected Hisako or Gorgon to have been in the lead/won.

I'm pretty sure the author had a plan for using all of the ones in the poll. That's why it's limited to those options and not an open write in. I'm also pretty sure the results are accurate. That character is surprisingly popular, at least in comparison to the other options.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't think it was rigged, people want pictures of Spider-Man and nobody else came with "99% chance an A-lister shows up in X-Men for an issue"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Abroham Lincoln posted:

iirc they put out daily percent increase updates for the fan vote. Near the end of it, Monet solidly held it until the last 3 days or so where Firestar kept getting huge bumps until she was solidly at the top. The leak about her being a mole makes way too much sense and it's a fun, instant hook whereas Polaris was just kinda there? Which makes me think it was probably rigged but also who cares

Polaris felt like she got the weird TV show bump and kinda torpedoed a good book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Polaris felt like she got the weird TV show bump and kinda torpedoed a good book.

Polaris didn't just get a weird TV show bump, she had fans of The Gifted (which is something I'm still astonished exists) voting for her specifically to get her away from Leah Williams who they all despised for some reason

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Also X-Factor dying was all editorial interference wanting to put the Wanda story into its own mini. The authors themselves okay'd the choices for the vote (ie, Al Ewing probably put up Armor since he literally never used her in SWORD and she's not in Red)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mameluke posted:

I really don't think it was rigged, people want pictures of Spider-Man and nobody else came with "99% chance an A-lister shows up in X-Men for an issue"

You keep saying this, but are the amazing friends even that much of a thing, in the comics? A New Warriors guest appearance seems more likely, especially with Justice also being a mutant

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Alaois posted:

Polaris didn't just get a weird TV show bump, she had fans of The Gifted (which is something I'm still astonished exists) voting for her specifically to get her away from Leah Williams who they all despised for some reason

A. That's hosed up and I hate that these kind of people exist in X-men.

B. But The Gifted, though, man. I don't know if I could actually call it good, but it never failed to be an interesting show. Absurdly deep pulls like the Strucker twins and Ahab, but not Bad Future Ahab, the one from Excalibur where he's just a regular guy, and Erg! Also a chilling and incredibly timely scene where an ex-cop takes over a Purifier meeting and talks them into putting the guns and crosses away and instead branding mutants as basically deviants and groomers to get the regular people on their side. I have not watched it since it was on and have no idea how well it holds up, but it was certaintly trying to do something.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

You keep saying this, but are the amazing friends even that much of a thing, in the comics? A New Warriors guest appearance seems more likely, especially with Justice also being a mutant

Sort of, in the way that I feel like a lot of Ben Percy's opinions on Wolverine stem from him reading the Fox movies into the comics, but their friendship has cropped up once or twice, and Iceman is joining the team at the same time. I think both might happen given how many cameos X-Men has already had in recent years.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Got around to the Hellfire Gala, Immortal X-Men, and the first AXE comic during my lunch which, FYI, is the order I'd recommend reading them. Hellfire covered a lot, and between that and this issue of Immortal, we got a lot of quality time with Emma. I somehow managed to not get spoiled on the entire X-Men roster, though I suppose I should have anticipated Iceman getting on the team, after noting how odd it was he wasn't in any of the post-Inferno books. Also happy Havok gets to be on a team that isn't the Hellions. Nor should I have been surprised how much Sinister is getting around, even ignoring his duplicate working with Orchis. Sinister being kidnapped and forced to help make a new Celestial for the Eternals to worship is the worst idea ever, and I can't wait to see how it blows up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't really care for Xmen but I read the Hellfire gala. The plot seems stupid, but I love Magik for going all out on her outfit. All the other ones are quite bland in comparison. Even Emma's what happened there? Laura looked kinda cool though.

Edit: Fun fact, my phone autocorrects Magik to "Mario" rather than the more sensible "Magic".
Probably because I have a Mario in my contacts.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Magik is dressed like Ulti from One Piece kinda.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dunno Doom, but we just got confirmation that Oscar Wilde was a mutant. Guess he's going to be resurrected if he so chooses.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was kind of hard reading Immortal X-Men #4 right after the Gala one-shot what with them both being Sinister-heavy, having Butter Rum references, having jokes about dead celebs being mutants, they kinda felt the same.

Also, I was kinda hoping something bad would have happened to Jon Hamm since he's been the Sinister fancast for so long

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mameluke posted:

Also, I was kinda hoping something bad would have happened to Jon Hamm since he's been the Sinister fancast for so long
It's not a fancast, he was in talks to play the character before the Fox X-men films imploded.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Immortal X-Men is the one to read before the Hellfire Gala. But either way would be fine. It was a good week for Emma fans though, and I like how now she's become a real leader and probably the heart of Krakoa. Just goes to show that Cyclops is always right, and you should always listen to Captain America's advice.

Really looking forward to the dynamics on that X-Men team, too. Firestar's gonna be a great wild card, more Magik is always good, and Havok and Iceman deserve more spotlight. Hopefully they just never bring up that time Alex pissed on Bobby.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i believe this panel was made to hurt me personally

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gwenpool should be on the X-Men next year. She definitely needs to be in something soon though!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

New Mutants also fantastic this week even if Hellfire Gala kinda undercut the whole story a bit. A very good day of comics. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

Hopefully they just never bring up that time Alex pissed on Bobby.

Am I blanking something out of my memory from Austen's run?