Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

As someone who just finished the ARR tribes right before 6.1, it's a stark difference between the Sylph transport quests and the EW "take this box 20 feet over there" ones. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The sylph carrying/invisisbility missions were still a pita at high level, I just skipped them (along with the FATE missions (lol))

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kazy posted:

As someone who just finished the ARR tribes right before 6.1, it's a stark difference between the Sylph transport quests and the EW "take this box 20 feet over there" ones. :v:

I was thinking when I did those, they must have gotten a lot of complaints about the carrying quests since the new ones give you 2 minutes to carry it 20 feet. Either that or it just slipped through testing (which wouldn't surprise me given the other things they missed like the two same-named NPCs).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They should stop making DoL beast tribes because there's only 3 jobs and they are already piss easy to level so it's a complete waste. If they don't want to make combat quests then just make it so you can do it on combat jobs and the gathering quests just become click a glowie. It's basically the same thing anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vitamean posted:

no I'm the one in the armor

You're telling me that you're the big cat man
as an RDM
in that fending armor
in this part of eorzea,
localized entirely beside a lala who looks like your twitter avatar?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

You're telling me that you're the big cat man
as an RDM
in that fending armor
in this part of eorzea,
localized entirely beside a lala who looks like your twitter avatar?

"Yes."
"May I see your nameplate?"
"No."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They weren't bad, and learning how to stealth around things helped later in PotD and Eureka / Bozja.

the sylph ones were pretty annoying with how dense that area is with enemies

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Warmachine posted:

"Yes."
"May I see your nameplate?"
"No."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Qwertycoatl posted:

All the ARR beast tribes sucked, not just Ixal. The combat ones are only bearable now because you can do them while flying and high enough level that random mobs don't aggro you

'Fun' fact: the ARR beast tribes are the favorites for the crowd of edgelords that specifically wants to paint the WoL as the bad guy (I have never found consistent reasoning beyond being contrarian edgelords), because they're really easy to be completely willingly blind to the actual story of, and just read them as the WoL being a horrible monster for pay.

Debatably it's not even that hard a read for the sahagin, because even the non-tempered sahagin are kinda psychopathic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Isn't the Sahagin tribal storyline "when we were monsters the Lominsans were monsters in kind and slaughtered our kids. This has to stop even if it means hamstringing our own people so they stop thinking they can win through being monsters."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Bruceski posted:

Isn't the Sahagin tribal storyline "when we were monsters the Lominsans were monsters in kind and slaughtered our kids. This has to stop even if it means hamstringing our own people so they stop thinking they can win through being monsters."

Yeah I played through it recently and the Sahagin were pretty par for the course with the rest of them.

If anything the Amal'jaa felt weirdest with ritually spraying defeated enemy Amal'jaa with torture water. (Which seemed to be... regular water. They really played up elemental aspecting a lot back then)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bruceski posted:

Yes, and that also carries through in later sahagin storylines. That doesn't really change that the sahagin are definitely the most violent and hostile of the beast tribes even at the best of times, and it comes through in their quests if, again, you're blind to the actual intent. The Encyclopedia Eorzea also confirms that they're unique in that they were the one tribe that didn't even need to be convinced to start doing human sacrifices to their god, because they were already doing it. The Ascians just taught them a method with results.

Selane
May 19, 2006

CJ posted:

They should stop making DoL beast tribes because there's only 3 jobs and they are already piss easy to level so it's a complete waste. If they don't want to make combat quests then just make it so you can do it on combat jobs and the gathering quests just become click a glowie. It's basically the same thing anyway.
I guess it's annoying to some people, but the fact that they split them into 3 mutually exclusive types is what allowed them to start making the xp rewards really high, Pixies were already good and Elephant guys give crazy XP per quest. If they made multiples they'd just end up cutting the rewards down because they don't want people gaining like a level per day from ten minutes of beast tribe quests.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yeah you gotta earn that level from 10 minutes of sastasha

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robo Reagan posted:

unironically yes, multiplayer content has to be faster than solo content for getting exp or else the game will be very dead for anyone below level cap

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Yes, this is how the roulette system works and how they keep all the lower level content active and populated for new players.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

Yeah I played through it recently and the Sahagin were pretty par for the course with the rest of them.

If anything the Amal'jaa felt weirdest with ritually spraying defeated enemy Amal'jaa with torture water. (Which seemed to be... regular water. They really played up elemental aspecting a lot back then)

The Kojin also have a daily quest where you dump holy water on enemy Kojin. Based on their reactions I assume it's something very stinky

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

It's incredibly fast and easy to level basically everything now. Being kind of simple and repetitive and reductive isn't just a problem with the gathering beast tribes

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Felt like half the kobold quests were "these other guys are making us look bad by actually doing something, go and sabotage/murder them"

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

FuturePastNow posted:

The Kojin also have a daily quest where you dump holy water on enemy Kojin. Based on their reactions I assume it's something very stinky

Not holy water, but something called “golden aspic”, whatever that is.

Also the Kojin have you beat up misbehaving baby rays and force feed them bitter pellets.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Aspic itself is just a savory gelatin ("meat jelly") that can contain all kinds of things. There's probably one or two things that could provide a golden coloration, and certainly no shortage of terrible scents - being the Ruby Sea, rotting fish would be an easy addition, for one.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I figured "golden" here implied old piss

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Did SE ever explain why there isn't a Hildibrand questline for Shadowbringers?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

iirc they basically just said they didnt have any good ideas for how it would work on the first and were kind of burned out on doing the quests in the first place.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

1stGear posted:

Did SE ever explain why there isn't a Hildibrand questline for Shadowbringers?

Burnout and time constraints

E: Beat. While I'm here, what gatherer goes with Alchemist for Ishgard restoration? I've only done Weaver and Botanist helped me through with that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

iirc they basically just said they didnt have any good ideas for how it would work on the first and were kind of burned out on doing the quests in the first place.

It was that along with development resources being stretched razor thin post-Covid, much as was the case with there not being an Allied Tribe quest. I think it was a good decision: even as someone who finds Hildibrand genuinely hilarious, it's a kind of humor that can go stale without proper breathing room, and I definitely prefer the series to go out on a high note instead of spinning its wheels for another expansion until the conclusion.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

While I'm here, what gatherer goes with Alchemist for Ishgard restoration? I've only done Weaver and Botanist helped me through with that.

BTN and MIN will get you all of the Restoration materials you need, although you can get the majority of them with Botanist and then fill in any gaps with MB purchases if they aren't too expensive in your DC cluster. Really, I'd check the prices before pounding away at too many nodes; I'm not usually one to recommend straight buying crafting mats off the MB, especially if you're not a max level gatherer already, but Restoration mats are usually pretty cheap and you'll need loads of them to level with.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 13, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Burnout and time constraints

E: Beat. While I'm here, what gatherer goes with Alchemist for Ishgard restoration? I've only done Weaver and Botanist helped me through with that.

Alchemy is a weird one. Lots of monster drops.some mining for ink recipes. occasional botany. It's all over

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Alchemist mostly likes monster drops, rather than mining or botany or fishing, which is a little frustrating if you don't have a combat retainer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ishgard Restoration recipes for Alchemist are, fortunately, pretty lenient on monster drops. The two big stumbling blocks are Bear Fat (which you either need to send a combat retainer out or farm from the Forelands) and Cubus Flesh, but the latter, for a mercy, can be bought relatively cheaply for Gemstones if you've been saving them up at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Specifically for Ishgard Restoration Alchemist needs Skybuilders' stuff from both mining and botany. For example the level 60 one needs 5 mistletoe (botany), 5 spring water (mined), and 5 toad (...botany I believe). Looks like it needs a bit more botany than mining in general.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Awesome. Right now I just need miner for the lvl 20 turnins, and I can get acidic secretions from low level retainer hunts. Glad to hear botany will be necessary too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Booooooooooooo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Namazu own

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:namazu:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's interesting to contrast with the moogles. Their ability to actually emote adds a whole lot to their antics, and the animation team used it well on some faces.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

gtrmp posted:

The level 80+ beast bestie tribe coming in 6.2 will also be DoL-only.

I predict that it will also be extremely cute and good

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

Felt like half the kobold quests were "these other guys are making us look bad by actually doing something, go and sabotage/murder them"

The Kobold tribe story is about state sponsored domestic terrorism

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

it's okay because they stole his girlfriend

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FuturePastNow posted:

The Kobold tribe story is about state sponsored domestic terrorism

It is incredibly generous to call Fuckup Village over there a "state".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Bruceski posted:

Booooooooooooo

Wasshoi.