Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Finally played Unfathomable! Thought it was really good, constantly very tense, with thematic and exciting events. The first hybrid revealed, and shot us all up, but then the next player took her turn and XO'd the hybrid, pretty much revealing herself as the other hybrid. We then instantly brigged her and shot (Brigging) him, and they were then basically stuck there all game.

We still lost quite convincingly. I definitely think we wanna put the dials up by at least one next game. I'm sure if you all run statistics constantly you could do better, but we otherwise had what I would have called a perfect run, and still couldn't make it.

I mean, i was the cultist and actual just won, but I still think it was a touch too hard on the humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

!Klams posted:

Finally played Unfathomable! Thought it was really good, constantly very tense, with thematic and exciting events. The first hybrid revealed, and shot us all up, but then the next player took her turn and XO'd the hybrid, pretty much revealing herself as the other hybrid. We then instantly brigged her and shot (Brigging) him, and they were then basically stuck there all game.

We still lost quite convincingly. I definitely think we wanna put the dials up by at least one next game. I'm sure if you all run statistics constantly you could do better, but we otherwise had what I would have called a perfect run, and still couldn't make it.

I mean, i was the cultist and actual just won, but I still think it was a touch too hard on the humans

I don't know if this thread has a single example of a human victory using out-of-the-box rules. A few close calls and many blow outs.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hempuli posted:

I procedurally generated yet another batch of boardgames:

I would play the hell out of Rave City. Organizing the best music festival

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hempuli posted:

No (20) -- an all-time best seller from the time of the Roman Empire

Eat Poop Your Hand -- still would rather play this than Munchkin

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

I don't know if this thread has a single example of a human victory using out-of-the-box rules. A few close calls and many blow outs.

Our group (5 player) has six plays under our belt and hybrids have won every time, but the calls have gotten closer each time.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 11, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FulsomFrank posted:

Played once with 4 players and humans won. It seems to me that humans have a slight advantage at even numbers.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I played last night with six, and the humans lost on the last card- we needed a travel to win, drew one, then realised it was a character specific one for a character not in play.
The next card was not a travel.

Still a very close game.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

Finally played Unfathomable! Thought it was really good, constantly very tense, with thematic and exciting events.

At times. Unfathomable has that thematic variance weakness of several other FFG games, particularly Cthulhu ones, or those horror games from that company that uses photos of real actors for the characters, where it's like OK yeah here's a card that's Deep Ones attack!!! And then panicked passengers are on the brink of mutiny!!! And then...uh...there's a litter of kittens would you like to feed the kittens? The ticket-taker and the stowaway orphan do a Benny Hill? The toilets are backed up lolololol?

quote:

otherwise had what I would have called a perfect run

Preface: I am neither an Unfathomable/BSG pro nor a booster of the humans' chances. My play group hasn't seen a human win since our rookie rules first game and we are dispirited about the balance. I haven't sold my copy yet but I'm still thinking about it because I think it has some major problems. But I'm curious what you mean by perfect run, because I feel that good human play involves triaging events and letting the ones that cause a low amount of damage go off so that your cards/powers can focus on the really mean stuff like 3x monster activation or multiple fuel loss. Were you able to clear literally every event that came up?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Mr. Walton was already fed to the stars and now you’re telling me he’ll also be murders?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I got The Initiative on a whim today, which is not something I've done often with ~$100 CAD games, but it caught my eye and I remember hearing some good things about it (possibly from SUSD, but I also looked up some reviews before grabbing it). Hope it's good (please do not say if it isn't, I am extremely susceptible to having my opinion influenced before playing something)! Would've loved to play with a couple friends but due to The Circumstances it'll just be me and my gf.

Edit: Actually if playing with two people, is it a situation where it's better to play with two characters each, or just one (if that's even an option, vs having to have all four on the board)? I have not checked the rulebook yet.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Morpheus posted:

I got The Initiative on a whim today, which is not something I've done often with ~$100 CAD games, but it caught my eye and I remember hearing some good things about it (possibly from SUSD, but I also looked up some reviews before grabbing it). Hope it's good (please do not say if it isn't, I am extremely susceptible to having my opinion influenced before playing something)! Would've loved to play with a couple friends but due to The Circumstances it'll just be me and my gf.

Edit: Actually if playing with two people, is it a situation where it's better to play with two characters each, or just one (if that's even an option, vs having to have all four on the board)? I have not checked the rulebook yet.

I played through the story with two friends and had a good time; it's not the deepest or most complex strategy game out there, but there are some fun twists and reveals along the way, and if you're into (light) puzzle-solving then you should have fun.

You should be fine just playing one character each.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SuperKlaus posted:

At times. Unfathomable has that thematic variance weakness of several other FFG games, particularly Cthulhu ones, or those horror games from that company that uses photos of real actors for the characters, where it's like OK yeah here's a card that's Deep Ones attack!!! And then panicked passengers are on the brink of mutiny!!! And then...uh...there's a litter of kittens would you like to feed the kittens? The ticket-taker and the stowaway orphan do a Benny Hill? The toilets are backed up lolololol?

Preface: I am neither an Unfathomable/BSG pro nor a booster of the humans' chances. My play group hasn't seen a human win since our rookie rules first game and we are dispirited about the balance. I haven't sold my copy yet but I'm still thinking about it because I think it has some major problems. But I'm curious what you mean by perfect run, because I feel that good human play involves triaging events and letting the ones that cause a low amount of damage go off so that your cards/powers can focus on the really mean stuff like 3x monster activation or multiple fuel loss. Were you able to clear literally every event that came up?

So, pretty much. We let a few go off where it was the lesser of two evils, when we calculated we probably couldn't pass (and with the chaos reveals plus hybrid cards we were right). They all felt like we made the right play.

We had a few major monster surges, and they were always met with an immediate spell nuke before they did anything, with passengers rescued where possible.

It was mostly just the fact that we had both hybrids brigged immediately, and because they were sat next to each other, we could do stuff like make all players play skill checks revealed, to stop them really doing anything. All they really did was put a couple of extra deep ones out. (I don't think one of them really knew what they were doing tbf).

There was just never any point in the game where it felt like we were 'failing', but I did realise too late that we needed to be doing more than that. We needed to be hitting the engine room and gunning for distance, because the mythos cards, despite us passing them, were still whittling resources without actually getting us closer to winning.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
wallets out everyone https://www.boardgameoracle.com/prime-day

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
72% off of Ganjaland. What a steal.

Edit: Games that Are 30% or more off, that I think are worth clicking on a link for:
  • Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
  • Pandemic Legacy Season 0
  • Ascension: Valley of the Ancients
  • Star Wars: Outer Rim
  • Ticket to Ride: India and Switzerland Map Pack
  • Monopoly: Friends the TV Series

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 12, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

twenty bucks for jaws of the lion is a ridiculous deal imo

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hempuli posted:

Hey fellow procedural person! :yayclod:

I have my own spare time project in this vein! Work in progress:

I enjoy generating plausible yet bizarre stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Haven't a few bee games come out lately

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

I like how there's 5 super interesting and compelling pitches with straightforward premises that have just enough of a twist to give them an interesting spin, and then also Bacon Bandits

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

the holy poopacy posted:

I like how there's 5 super interesting and compelling pitches with straightforward premises that have just enough of a twist to give them an interesting spin, and then also Bacon Bandits

:aaa: "Bacon Bandits" is :perfect:

The more time I spend on this project, the more ideas I get. I just generated this complete gem:

e: My project has a name: This Game Does Not Exist (But Should)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 13, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Isn't this basically how the Guild Navigators in Dune figured out how to make FTL travel work? :D

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Bacon Bandits is an inspired idea, heck, a supermarket as a setting at all is pretty novel

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Back Alley Borks posted:

Bacon Bandits is an inspired idea, heck, a supermarket as a setting at all is pretty novel

It has a very dreamlike logic to it. You're trying to steal bacon. Who doesn't want you to have bacon? Dietitians. Dietitians are the enemy of bacon havers. So dietitians are trying to catch you stealing bacon.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The original title was "Bacon Blitz" but Bacon Bandits is so much more :discourse: it really illustrates how especially in creative stuff, machine learning is best applied in a collaborative way.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

the holy poopacy posted:

It has a very dreamlike logic to it. You're trying to steal bacon. Who doesn't want you to have bacon? Dietitians. Dietitians are the enemy of bacon havers. So dietitians are trying to catch you stealing bacon.

Also, it's a hidden role game, one of the players is the Loss Prevention Officer pretending to be a shopper but he needs to be 1-2 squares away from you to catch you doing it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I would definitely play Bacon Bandits.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
#4, Lawyers and Labyrinths also sounds like it could be pretty fun.

Though I just realised #3 could be done by reskinning the actual children's game Labyrinth, so I guess it is Lawyers and Labyrinths too.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Also, it's a hidden role game, one of the players is the Loss Prevention Officer pretending to be a shopper but he needs to be 1-2 squares away from you to catch you doing it

This made me think of a hidden role Bacon Bandits game where one player is secretly bacon and mustn't let the others find out so that they won't steal & eat said player.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hmm, Mike's looking pretty salty isn't he?

I'm just annoyed because you keep accusing me!

And you know what else is salty...?

Goddamnit!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Bacon Bandits is a legacy game with 120 missions and $300 worth of miniatures.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If the bacon ever gets above 6 degrees C, it is publically revealed which players the LPO has to secretly stood that close to.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I know we’re just being ridiculous, but I want to play this game now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goon project. Who's down?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

OmegaGoo posted:

I know we’re just being ridiculous, but I want to play this game now.

Be tha bacon you want to see.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
a heist game where one person is secretly a cop

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Have some box art for Bacon Bandits, made with MidJourney

And yes, it's not great at spelling

EDIT: Some alternatives

Ogdred Weary fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 13, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BACON
BANDTIS
GAMTE

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I will insta buy any of those boxes, I do not make good financial decisions

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Hey, long time lurker, etc.

Just popping in to say that I played Blood on the Clocktower for the first time this past Saturday (6-7 players), storytelling for at least 3 games and playing in the rest (I think...3? I got a bit tipsy).

It was undoubtedly the most fun I've ever had with a board game. Granted, I've never played Mafia/Werewolf/Other Variations. But, like, we played for six hours non-stop, one game after the other.

Better yet, the retailer I bought it from surprisingly sent me the Kickstarter version, with the "experimental" roles!

All in all, highly, highly recommend. I cannot wait to play it again

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ogdred Weary posted:

Have some box art for Bacon Bandits, made with MidJourney

And yes, it's not great at spelling

EDIT: Some alternatives

I love 'em! I have been playing a little with generating art to go with the creations, but I've really only barely dipped my toes in.

These look fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jove posted:

Hey, long time lurker, etc.

Just popping in to say that I played Blood on the Clocktower for the first time this past Saturday (6-7 players), storytelling for at least 3 games and playing in the rest (I think...3? I got a bit tipsy).

It was undoubtedly the most fun I've ever had with a board game. Granted, I've never played Mafia/Werewolf/Other Variations. But, like, we played for six hours non-stop, one game after the other.

Better yet, the retailer I bought it from surprisingly sent me the Kickstarter version, with the "experimental" roles!

All in all, highly, highly recommend. I cannot wait to play it again

Oh hell yeah. I also recently played it for the first time; this friend of mine, who was sitting between me and my traitor buddy, was a Drunk Empath who took each of us aside on the first day and confided that he trusted us absolutely.