Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Opioid posted:

Are these a decent entry point for open backs? Also is there a site or discord that’s worth following for headphone news/reviews that isn’t too over the top audiophile absurdity?

They are! Probably among the best if you're going for sound quality versus your dollar—you'll want some sort of amplifier or interface if you plan on equalizing it though, as it's a little on the power-thirsty side. Of course if you don't like spending 300 bucks, the Drop x Sennheiser HD 6XX is also pretty dope at $200, as are any of the less expensive options like the Grado headphones and the Sennheiser HD 5XX series. Depends on what kind of sound you like, really! Should be noted that the Grado options are on-ears and not over-ears, so if you don't like things touching your pinna that rules them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I can't believe how well the paper towel trick worked for the dt-770's. Since I got them, I wouldn't say I hated them, but the treble or sibilance was just way too harsh for me. Put some paper towels between the drivers and the felt and they sound like how I hoped they would from the start. Good stuff.

e: it probably would have been easier to eq out maybe? i don't even know where to begin on that though

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 14, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

I can't believe how well the paper towel trick worked for the dt-770's. Since I got them, I wouldn't say I hated them, but the treble or sibilance was just way too harsh for me. Put some paper towels between the drivers and the felt and they sound like how I hoped they would from the start. Good stuff.

e: it probably would have been easier to eq out maybe? i don't even know where to begin on that though

I have some dt-990s, would this benefit them?

I had to replace the pads cause they were very old and worn out

speaking of which, is there a cheap sub$100 amp I could use with them? It sounds fine being driven out directly from my desktop audio jack, but I'm curious to know if it sounds any better

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have some dt-990s, would this benefit them?

I had to replace the pads cause they were very old and worn out

speaking of which, is there a cheap sub$100 amp I could use with them? It sounds fine being driven out directly from my desktop audio jack, but I'm curious to know if it sounds any better

If you find them to have too much treble then maybe?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I know wireless is a vale of tears but... are there any cheap low-clamping-pressure wireless headphones (ideally semi-open) that I could just use for listening to some music and stuff?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Paul MaudDib posted:

I know wireless is a vale of tears but... are there any cheap low-clamping-pressure wireless headphones (ideally semi-open) that I could just use for listening to some music and stuff?

I've been eyeing the Grado GW100s for similar reasons myself but obviously I can't vouch for them

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve given Grado a lot of money over the years, but they’re not the people I’d be asking about Bluetooth. I wonder which Alibaba factory actually designed those.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just use a BTR5 and clip it to my belt. More than enough power for the vast majority of open backs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I just use a BTR5 and clip it to my belt. More than enough power for the vast majority of open backs.

oh huh that's actually neat, I didn't realize they ever got around to putting out a new "E10K" series. I always wanted an E10K but couldn't afford to grab one when they were on one of Fiio's ridiculous closeout sales and for a while they didn't really have an equivalent product anymore. Fiio (used to?) run some dealz, I think the E10K was like $100 or $150 on closeout and about the same price for X5 first-gen refurbs at Adorama another time. Did get the X5 but didn't get the E10K ("I already have a player with an amp!") and always regretted that.

I have an X5 and an X5 2nd Gen and while I wasn't thrilled with the long term support and while the UI is obviously abysmal, it's nice enough audio hardware. Would love to see the X5 series get picked up by Rockbox (perhaps there's motherboard similarities with the M5?), rockbox would probably fix the memory card size limit and the ui... rockbox is solid on jogwheel designs like ipod iirc, and the exponential scroll is a must-have, loved it on my iRiver H320. The Fiio UI didn't really bother me too much since I tend to listen to albums, I don't like fiddling every 10 seconds to set the song anyway. But looking for a specific song you don't know... lol good look on the stock ui.

Anyway, I guess that does leave me with an audio cable trailing to my waist/desk still, I do kinda like the idea of no cables at all, but I understand there's always tradeoffs (battery life, weight, output power, etc). In particular I've been using a couple pairs of Superluxx HD668Bs for a while and the cable/connector design isn't the best, my original cables have long-since broke and most of the replacement extensions I can find either end up very fragile or very stiff and ideally it needs a very specific size of connector for the clip to keep it on, the cable is the worst part of that by far lol.

But yeah the fiio isn't a bad option at all, I'll think about that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Turning on these Sony ANC headphones (XM4) for the first time was shocking at how quiet things are around me.

god drat

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah it's a trip haha

ANC owns now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

Yeah it's a trip haha

ANC owns now

having there be no external audio it was very calming

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We had a three hour fire alarm malfunction in my building and my giant passive headphones did a better job of blocking the noise than my ANC headset which is weird because it’s a constant, limited frequency range so you’d think it would work well. I think the volume of the alarm was just past the level the dsp in my Polycom could cope with.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So far my only complaint with the XM4 is the faux-leather cushions are not that breathable and they get quite hot to wear because of it.

at a glance, looks like Bose's competition is the same.

My DT-990s have some nice breathable fabric instead, is there a replacement I can get that's similar with more wicking fabric?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What you want are some sort of hybrid cooling gel earpads. They're all the rage for gaming headphones these days. You can also get them from places like Brainwavz or Wicked Cushions on some of their offerings.

Whether you can find ones that fit the Sony XM4 easily I couldn't say.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.theverge.com/23220566/beyerdynamic-free-byrd-review

rad

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Looking for Bluetooth headphones to replace my old anker soundbuds flow.

I was planning to stay below 50€, don't care to much about sound quality. Do care about good battery life. And I would like to upgrade to IPX6.
The band type form-factor is preferred, but not necessary.

These look perfect, but set off my chinesium warnings:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Earphones-Microphone-Black/dp/B084G2SVN1/

Same with these ones:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphones-Microphone-Hands-Free-black/dp/B07C3LSHK3/

These are Philips, have terrible reviews and bad water protection:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Bluetooth-Headphones-00-Microphone-Protection-black/dp/B08DYCBSHQ/

And I was also considering these anker ones, to try the newer form factor:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B09DXW29JB/

Anybody got a surprising secret tip? Or experience with either of the questionable brands? I am in germany, so I can't use whatever sales events sometimes show up in the us.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

At your price point just get the Anker ones, especially if battery life is what you care about.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey the google buds pro are going to be out soon right. Would all their features work on a galaxy s21 or would things like low latency only work on this phone on samsung buds?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Probably stupid question(s) but is there anything to watch out for with replacement earbud tips? I'm looking for new memory foam ones and assume they're like a) universal fit regardless of manufacturer and b) mostly the same (?). A lot of the ones I see reference specific brands for compatibility; is that just to optimize search results etc? Aren't most earbuds built w that 1/8"-or-whatever-diameter-it-is aperture, with the same lil ridge to hold whatever tip you prefer?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

rivetz posted:

Probably stupid question(s) but is there anything to watch out for with replacement earbud tips? I'm looking for new memory foam ones and assume they're like a) universal fit regardless of manufacturer and b) mostly the same (?). A lot of the ones I see reference specific brands for compatibility; is that just to optimize search results etc? Aren't most earbuds built w that 1/8"-or-whatever-diameter-it-is aperture, with the same lil ridge to hold whatever tip you prefer?

The diameter of the nozzle varies in size on different sets, so it is possible to buy tips that are too big and will come off in your ear or are too small and won’t fit. You don’t need to get tips that explicitly list your headphones model, but you should get tips with an appropriate core diameter.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi, I need headphones with bass, but not like deep subbass. I want something that hits me in a way that only two phones managed to:
1) The Koss Porta Pro, somehow
2) The Hifiman He400 on some very specific songs like Get Lucky by Daft Punk.

They feel like they're hitting the upper bass with a heavy texture that I loving love and I don't know where else to find them. Maybe speakers, but they're rarely available here in Brazil.

Budget is not a concern (can't believe I ever get to say this). Past headphones:

Denon AH-D5000
Sennheiser P2
Koss Porta Pro - Can always return to this and find it pleasant
Koss KSC75
Sennheiser HD 280 - I'd rather anything other than this
Audio-Technica ATH-AD900
Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x - Favorite for playing games
Hifiman HE400 - Favorite for well produced songs. lovely cables, weird sound on lo-fi.
Sennheiser HD 650 - Too veiled/vocals too distant
Blon BL03 - Good but too detailed, I'm not at the point of hearing loss I want to stick with these.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Fine.
AKG K371 - Fine but the Harman curve feels like the watered down version of what I want.

I've said before in this thread that I'm not a basshead, but my priorities have shifted (I used to favor precision and soundstage when playing games to pinpoint where the enemy was). People do talk about the Porta Pro bass but looking at the Hifiman's curve it doesn't seem anything special so I'm not sure where that sound I get is coming from, that intense rhythm that almost feels like I'm listening it from a speaker. Since the original He400 is gone, I'd like to know suggestions for something like this. Preferably open, looking for something impactful.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Hm, not sure if there is anywhere you can test drive them, but I'd check out the LCD-X. I can't, I love them, I've never just listened to music like I have with these drat things. They also sound amazing stock, but also take EQ so well if you want to play with that. (Some seriously fun and amazing EQ profiles out there too)

Edit: Little more info, I'm no audiophile but got to test drive a number of very pricey pairs and fell in love with these, they are bass cannons but not at the loss of other areas, the bass has such amazing texture, great mids, highs are detailed but not fatiguing like some Beyer phones can be.

Someone described them as like having two speakers attached to your head and I can see where they were coming from.

Going to edit more in here and say the Ananda (or maybe it was the Arya....been a number of months and there was a lot of headphones at that shop) was probably my second favorite of the ones I listened to. I wanted to try the LCD 2 but couldn't find one to try and compare.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 22, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I live in Brazil, specifically Rio. There's no "test drive" here, the few companies that provided that had a limited range of products and closed years ago. I have to pretty much trust strangers on the internet.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

id like some help on buying new headphones

Budget - around 150 usd
Source - regular windows computer 3.5 jack
Isolation Requirements - no
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear - wired probably? is wireless good now??
Past Headphones -
superlux hd681 (current pair) - sounds good i guess but i dont really have anything else to reference - too tight on the ears unless my hair is the way (my usual comfort tech)

Preferred Music - i want to listen to pink floyd and neil young and play video games

i want to replace the superlux hd681s because they arent very comfortable in the summer when i have my hair tied back and its not around my ears to cushion them. the headband is comfortable its just the ear cup things that are maybe too tight? also the cable kind of sucks and is too long so one with a replaceable cable would be good. thanks a lot in advance and god bless

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao my Focals broke again in the same way 3 months after getting repaired. absolute clown poo poo. getting another RMA and putting these things on ebay for some other poor sucker to deal with.

Elentor posted:

I live in Brazil, specifically Rio. There's no "test drive" here, the few companies that provided that had a limited range of products and closed years ago. I have to pretty much trust strangers on the internet.
i don't think this exists anywhere, or at least not for 99% of the population. I don't know why people on the internet keep telling this fairy tale.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 22, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i don't think this exists anywhere, or at least not for 99% of the population. I don't know why people on the internet keep telling this fairy tale.

There used to be a place near me called The Speaker Shop that had a ton of headphones to try out. Of course they went out of business because Amazon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Best Buy used to have a few racks of headphones you could try on. It was mostly the Expensive ANC sets though

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

lmfao my Focals broke again in the same way 3 months after getting repaired. absolute clown poo poo. getting another RMA and putting these things on ebay for some other poor sucker to deal with.

Is this really that rare? Last few places I've lived all had a couple places at least, even the small Midwest town had a guitar center which had like a dozen demo units. Granted where I live near now is probably more of the exception, one of the shops even buys used gear and they have most of the used stuff available for demo.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 22, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Hi headphone people, where do I go to get the "least worst" recommendation for a USB headset for my PC for Discord etc?

Thanks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jarlywarly posted:

Hi headphone people, where do I go to get the "least worst" recommendation for a USB headset for my PC for Discord etc?

Thanks

All USB cable powered headsets are in the same general category of cheap and cheerful. So just buy whatever is the best price available at your local store that fits you comfortably.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rakeris posted:

Is this really that rare? Last few places I've lived all had a couple places at least, even the small Midwest town had a guitar center which had like a dozen demo units. Granted where I live near now is probably more of the exception, one of the shops even buys used gear and they have most of the used stuff available for demo.

I live in a city of a few million people and there’s one shop that has high end headphones for demo, and they have like 5 pairs. And they don’t have any Audeze in that lineup.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rakeris posted:

Hm, not sure if there is anywhere you can test drive them, but I'd check out the LCD-X. I can't, I love them, I've never just listened to music like I have with these drat things. They also sound amazing stock, but also take EQ so well if you want to play with that. (Some seriously fun and amazing EQ profiles out there too)

Edit: Little more info, I'm no audiophile but got to test drive a number of very pricey pairs and fell in love with these, they are bass cannons but not at the loss of other areas, the bass has such amazing texture, great mids, highs are detailed but not fatiguing like some Beyer phones can be.

Someone described them as like having two speakers attached to your head and I can see where they were coming from.

Going to edit more in here and say the Ananda (or maybe it was the Arya....been a number of months and there was a lot of headphones at that shop) was probably my second favorite of the ones I listened to. I wanted to try the LCD 2 but couldn't find one to try and compare.

Oof those are at s premium. I take they were discontinued? Either that or scalpers really having s field day charging 4k usd.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Elentor posted:

Oof those are at s premium. I take they were discontinued? Either that or scalpers really having s field day charging 4k usd.

No, Audeze still makes and sells them right from their website for $1200 new. Definitely don't buy them for more than that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

strong bird posted:

erlux hd681s because they arent very comfortable in the summer when i have my hair tied back and its not around my ears to cushion them. the headband is comfortable its just the ear cup things that are maybe too tight? also the cable kind of sucks and is too long so one with a replaceable cable would be good. thanks a lot in advance and god bless

AKG K371 unless you're willing to go open back.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are there any over-ear headphones designed like Dan Clark Aeons but cheaper? I might have to do some extended travel and want to bring good closed headphones that fold down as small as possible. My Focals came with a giant purse that's about 1/3 the volume of my suitcase. I'm tempted to just bring my Sony V6es but now that I've had nice headphones it will be hard to go back plus the giant cord is a pain. Source will mainly be my Qudelix.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, Audeze still makes and sells them right from their website for $1200 new. Definitely don't buy them for more than that.

They don't ship to Brazil, though, out of a very long list of Countries. It's going to be literally impossible not to buy more than that considering right now the cheapest solution seems to be either travelling abroad to buy one, or buying from Amazon.

Traveling abroad and buying one seems cheaper, unless Tiendamia manages to bypass the 38% + 60% duties + taxes somehow.

https://tiendamia.com/br/producto?a...%20Carry%20case

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Elentor posted:

Hi, I need headphones with bass, but not like deep subbass. I want something that hits me in a way that only two phones managed to:
1) The Koss Porta Pro, somehow
2) The Hifiman He400 on some very specific songs like Get Lucky by Daft Punk.

V-MODA CrossfadeM-100s are nice, possibly some of the best headphones I've owned. there's a new line of Master M100s that have the same range. Good drivers, no clipping, deals well with bass, including some LFO. $250 usd: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100-master

My complaint is that they don't fit my giant skull comfortably and I worry about breaking them. If you have a human sized head you should be ok Having said that, the originals have lasted for 5+ years and don't show any fatigue.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not particularly big-headed so I'll check those, thanks boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

boo_radley posted:

V-MODA CrossfadeM-100s are nice, possibly some of the best headphones I've owned. there's a new line of Master M100s that have the same range. Good drivers, no clipping, deals well with bass, including some LFO. $250 usd: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100-master

My complaint is that they don't fit my giant skull comfortably and I worry about breaking them. If you have a human sized head you should be ok Having said that, the originals have lasted for 5+ years and don't show any fatigue.

I have these and I feel like my head is normal and they get uncomfortable pretty quick. They are fantastic but I don’t use them as much because of how uncomfortable they get.